hybridchic

Rank 3
hybridchic
PostedAug 07, 2010 9:02 am   Last edited by hybridchic on Aug 07, 2010 2:19 pm. Edited 4 times in total

ShoutBox Etiquette for Dummies

Shaiya ShoutBox. A Guide
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Introduction

Ok ladies, gents, confused, aggravated individuals of Shaiya. It's time for a ShoutBox (SB) mannerisms Check-up. Time and time again people use ShoutBox inappropriately, as a tool to annoy others, or as a forum to display their inability to read for comprehension. Let's address the things that we do and don't like in ShoutBox Twisted Evil

Things We Want to See
We love to see people communicating with one another. Communication is good. Most good communication ends in lol, lmfao, and roflmao. These are signs of a good time or someone having an epic fail moment at the very least. We love to see people asking others good questions. Your question could be the one that makes people curious. Curiosity usually leads to education. Education is awesome.

Polite Conduct
We prefer Civilized Conduct with a hint of Comedic Relief thank you very much. Nothing too over the top. Abusive speech? Please don't. That night you woke up next to (some person) and wish you could erase that day from your life? Please erase it from your memory and don't put in SB.

But do feel free to tell us about the time your cat walked over your keyboard and you died tanking. Tell us how wonderful a parent you are and all the reasons they are ideal future of human civilization. That time you ran into Dave Grohl. Please tell us that you're sad and upset that your next door is stealing your internet service but can't fork over a spoonful of sugar.

Section 7. User Conduct, pretty much sums up what is appropriate in SB.

Things We Don't Want to See
ShoutBox is almost always full of people with useful information about something, perhaps not the something you're interesting in knowing about. And that's fine. But please in the name of everything holy and sensible, do not spam shoutbox over and over with the same question if you have receive Aeria. Do not use ShoutBox to exhibit the behavior of a 3- year old. It is annoying. If you receive an answer from a player but you do not trust the answer, a second opinion is fine. You can even ask a GS.

Power Leveling

Shout Box is accessible by anyone with an Aeria account which includes but is not limited to members that play Shaiya. If you ask for a plvl there is a chance that no one will give you an answer you want. There is also every chance that no one wants to plvl you and so will be kind enough to ignore you. Consistently asking for plvl floods SB and is spam.
If you are serious about a plvl, please log on to Shaiya and ask in trade chat. You will get a far better reception.

WTB, WTS, WTT, Economics

Yes, the economy in Shaiya on all servers is horrible. Yes, there is a world wide financial crisis. Yes we know it may be hard to find something in Auction House. Yes it maybe difficult to buy something for cheap. Yes there are people (scammers) that will want to take advantage of this situation. We know this.

Posting WTB/WTS/WTT (some item) in Shout Box will not change anything. Only cause annoyance. Especially since there is an entire forum dedicated to selling, buying, and trading stuff. Posting this kind of content in ShoutBox implies that the people that do know how to use SB do not know how to use the forum index. If you really want to sell, buy or trade an item, please post in the Linked Barter Forum

About Terms of Service
This is specifically for those individuals with questions about ToS (Terms of Service) and questions about things that will get you banned:

Please do not ever complain in ShoutBox over and over again and give the public your life story about why you should not be banned. If you think you could be banned for something, then regardless of ToS, you have the sense to know you are doing something wrong. You are also exhibiting rather juvenile behavior by incriminating yourself in public. Please be sensible and smart. Not a senseless, juvenile neanderthal.

Account Sharing

No. It is not ever ok to share your account with someone else. If you would like to know if account sharing is against the rules by asking in SB, please simply say: "is it ok for me to share my user information with little brother that plays." Do not say: "all my gear is gone. My boyfriend broke up with me and then took all my gear. Is ok if I log on to his account to get it back"

In the former example you are going to get a very polite response. In the latter example you will get a wide variety of responses some of which you may not like. Furthermore, it is incriminating evidence. If the idea of incriminating evidence isn't enough of deterrent, how about the fact that GMs and GSs visit shoutbox often?

Dual Boxing

Yes it is against the rules to use account A to plvl account B and vice verse.
Yes it is against the rules to use account A to help account B get higher PvP ranks.
Yes it is OK to use account A and account B to do a transaction.

Still have questions? Please feel free to ask in SB.

Tickets
If you have a problem with a player, want to report a bug, or anything else you would like to report, please submit a ticket. If you have sent in a ticket and have yet to get a response in 48 hours, feel free to ask for a gs/gm and give them the RT number.

If you cared enough to submit a ticket then Aeria cares as well. Do not spam SB with your negative opinion about Aeria's customer service. (Negative opinions/fact without a suggestion for improvement are pretty meaningless as they will not change the problem you have. )

My Friend Got Banned
If your friend is banned they need to submit a ban appeal. It's nice that you care about your friends, but Aeria will under no circumstances (except one) talk to you about your friend that is banned.

Please do not ask/beg/demand to speak with a GM/GS about your friend. Your friend needs to establish communication with a GM by sending in a Ban Appeal. This is the only mode of communication a GM will use when discussing an account (status) with the user of the account.

I Got Banned and I Made a New Account and Demand to be Unbanned
Aeria appreciates that you love their service so much that being banned did not deter you from using their services.
Aeria and the Aeria community does not appreciate your spamming of SB as a means to get unbanned. Please fill out a ban appeal. If you were wrongly banned and are demand to be unbanned please fill out a ban appeal.

Asking to be unbanned in SB and expecting to be unbanned is in violation of the Privacy Policy. You really need to fill out a ticket if you expect something done. Spamming SB will not change this, it will only make a lot of people annoyed.

Aeria Points
Aeria Points (AP) are points that are purchased using real life money. Aeria Points are used to buy specialty items from the Web Item Mall or in game. It is possible that specialty items such as lapisia can drop in game. However the places are limited and the rate of drop is low.

Aeria Points and Scams

It is possible for most AP items (items bought with AP) to be traded / given to other players.
It is impossible 100% of the time for a Aeria member to transfer aeria points to another account. The odds of me marrying Dave Grohl in Poland with Nine Inch Nails performing 'Closer' are better.

You will never ever have to give someone your email address so you can plvl them. So yes it is perfectly fine for you to ask in ShoutBox why you have yet to receive any AP from the person you plvled. We will tell you to read the paragraph that precedes this one. We will also to tell you to send a ticket as this is a very serious problem, fraudulent behavior, and very much bannable.
(I also recommend changing your email password. Yes. I'm paranoid.)

Aeria Points Not Showing Up

It is possible for you to purchase Aeria Points with real life money. It is possible for the points you purchased to not show up immediately. Never fear, Aeria as a company wants your money, you as a fellow Shaiya addict will get your AP. Please remain calm, refresh the page, (wait a few minutes), look again. If you still find fault with the Aeria Points being shown, please send a ticket to billing.

Technical Issues

If you have an account and want to play Shaiya, you have to download Shaiya. Once you have launched the game client (double clicked on the icon) you will see the Shaiya Updater. Click "Game Start". Log in with your username and password. Select your server. Create/ Choose a character, enjoy.

I Cannot Log In

It is possible that you have put in an incorrect username or password. Please re-enter your username and password. Keep in mind that your password must contain at least one CAPITAL letter and at least one number.

If you still cannot log in, please check the email account associated with the Aeria account in question. If you have been banned, Aeria will notify you with an email. If this is the reason you cannot log in please apply for a ban appeal.

If you have not been banned, and can log on to the Aeria website without a problem it is possible there is something wrong your game client. Check the General Discussions Forum. It is possible this is happening to other players on a large scale. Check the Technical Issues forum to see if other players have had a similar problem. Make a new thread if you have to. Worst Case scenario is that you will have to reinstall the game.

The Game Takes a Long Time to Load or is Crashing

If you are having a problem with the game or your system is crashing when you run the game client please click here. If you think your computer meets system requirements, then there's a chance it does not and you should contact your computer manufacturer. Please have your model and serial number handy. This way you're not flipping CPUs while on the phone with tech support.
If you DO meet system requirements, please send a ticket. The subcategory is “other”. Also have a look around the Technical Support Forum

ShoutBox Humor & Good Spam

Please fill free to spam shoutbox with epic fails. Epic fails are an integral part of ShoutBox that help to ensure order by providing momentary insanity, a small chance for everyone to let loose if you will. Be forewarned anything you say can and will be posted and memorialized.

Summary

I love pretty much everything like a fat kid loves cake. Except for the things that I lerv. I lerv SB and time and time again players use it in a manner that drives other people up a wall. (That makes me not lerv SB) Or at the very least question why children are conceived at all. I hope you had fun looking around the thread, remember to not spam SB with crazy stuff, be nice to LadyXX. Make love not peace, and I think that’s it

This thread is dedicated to my lovely wifey LadyXX. And Prax who will make me a bridesmaid one day

EDIT: to include ticket info and fix typos. Thanks for the tips/comments/suggestions/baklava/icecream/vodka
Advertisement

mystyxiii

Rank 2
mystyxiii
PostedAug 07, 2010 9:04 am
woot! /vote for Sticky!

SailorSpira

Rank 5
SailorSpira
PostedAug 07, 2010 9:32 am

Re: ShoutBox Etiquette for Dummies

Shaiya ShoutBox. A Guide
hybridchic wrote:

This thread is dedicated to my lovely wifey LadyXX. And Prax who will make me a bridesmaid one day  

Lol, I wouldn't hold your breath. But ty for the dedication. Nice post my dear.

LadyXX

Rank 3
LadyXX
PostedAug 07, 2010 9:58 am   Last edited by LadyXX on Aug 07, 2010 10:10 am. Edited 1 time in total
*blushes* and -swoons- with delight -
buys baklava and chicken and icecream and vanilla vodka and insect repellent

GMtactics

Rank 3
GMtactics
PostedAug 07, 2010 9:59 am
I did not carefully inspect every word in the post, so I cannot endorse 100%, but it seems to be a great guide. Thanks for putting forth the effort, Cee Cee.

/stickied.

Account retired. New account here.

GMtactics

Rank 3
GMtactics
PostedAug 07, 2010 10:02 am
I'd also like to stress that "appropriate" and "polite" behavior is encouraged. Everybody loves a good joke, but do not use bad language or get too... frisky... in the ShoutBox please.

Remember that the ShoutBox is usually the first thing any player wills ee when they arrive at the Aeria Games forums, so it is important to set a good example there.

Again: Having fun is fine, but don't push it. GMs try to be lenient with the shoutbox, but our patience does have boundaries.

Account retired. New account here.

K_I_A_N_D_R_A

Rank 1
K_I_A_N_D_R_A
PostedAug 07, 2010 4:46 pm
could you add something about discussing games that aren't hosted by Aeria? ^^

DarkIllua

Rank 0
DarkIllua
PostedAug 07, 2010 5:20 pm
Don't think there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's civil and not linking multiple links to their sites and advertising like a madman. I usually talk about Aeria on other sites and never receive a warning, besides if we couldn't talk about other games than just the ones they have it would be a very boring chat. Razz

And no message could have been any clearer, if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change.

Avyn

Rank 5.2
Avyn
PostedAug 07, 2010 5:49 pm
We talk about other games on the SB often Razz I think it's fine as long as we don't advertise anything. There's even a forum section dedicated to talking about other games Wink

MerlinMcTav

Rank 5.1
MerlinMcTav
PostedAug 07, 2010 5:54 pm
Nice guide Hybridchic, though I think the scope of it is a lot wider than just the shout box Smile

RIP Kizzd