ArcticBlade

Rank 4
ArcticBlade
PostedSep 12, 2010 8:01 pm
Giovanna_X wrote:
ArcticBlade wrote:
Stephen king commenting on Stephanie Meyer (the author of the Twighlight series)----"The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn," he said. "She's not very good."  

*nod* I remember reading that somewhere. However, as good as some of Stephen King's stuff is (Salem's Lot and the original Children of the Corn come to mind immediately), after finally watching more than a few minutes of the miniseries, The Stand, I'm not sure he's in a position to criticize other writers (then again, the miniseries may have been a very poor adaptation of the actual story, but if it wasn't at least vaguely close to what he wrote, he should sue; it was truly awful -- even "pathetic" seems an appropriate description, which isn't something I would have expected to say about his work before seeing that miniseries).  

One bad miniseries out of how many good books? lol Imma go with good ole Stephen on this one.

get 25'd
Advertisement

Kayonna

Rank 2
PostedSep 29, 2010 3:39 am
i much rather hear and watch stories about the people who and why vampires exsite in the first place can anyone answer this question?

who was the influence on bram stoker story about vampires? can someone really do it wihtout googling it?

personally i hate the whole "oh i'm immortal but i go up into flames every time the sun hits me!" as much as that the original thing for vampires i think its stupid just a long with the whole sparkling thing. its both stupid in my opinion. but at least steph had the whole thats why people thought gods existed thing to back it up. everyone wants something to go bump int he night

Epil0gueTA

Rank 0
PostedMar 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Vampires

Thus far I am in complete agreement with Gio. Vampires through the centuries have known many forms and ideas from a vasriety of times and cultures. One can't really put an actual depiction to it.
Vampires have long been mysterious and dark entities both monstrous and appealing. It has always been. in my opinion, that this sense of vague description only adds to the mystery and therefore also the appeal of the vampire. After all, if one knew exactly how to identify a vampire, that vampire would have a really hard time living a cpl centuries. Anonymity is synonymous with longevity.
I would have to also agree that both lestat and edward both seem to share a lot in common, but to the lesser fans of vampiric lore this is also a common theme in the duality of vampires. After living for centuries and watching civilization and industry grow and pass, there is a lot to be seen and learned. The idea that a vampire could not adapt to it's environment and surroundings make for a lousy vampire. These are often wisened and intelligent creatures, hardly ever the mindless raging beast they may be depicted as. They have ever been hungry, but also deceptive and clever. We're talking about apex predators here, not simple minded single celled parasites or single purposed zombies (here i use the term loosely).
I have long been a fan of Vampires in their legends and lore as well as literary fiction and film. I was an avid fan of both Forever Knight and Dark Shadows, and have seen more Christopher Lee and Plummer, as well as Peter Cushing and Bela Lugosi films than I can recall. I was never a big fan of Moonlight, but to each their own. I've read books where they were monsters, aliens, parasites from spores of mushrooms and the list goes on. I've seen them harmed by faith as well as laugh in the faces of the faith-filled hunters. I've seen them in daylight as well as burned by the sun. You wanna talk about a diverse character, there is none more diverse. Wherever there's prey, there is the hunter.
My problems with both the twilight saga by stephanie meyer and the Vampire chronicles by anne rice were in the writing, not the actual vampire depictions. Edward is a sullen, brooding, love struck child. I say child because even for as long as he has aged he is still childly perplexed by an even more brooding bordering on suicidal woman. Hey, even the the geniuses like Stephen Hawking can't fathom the wiles of women or their logic. Lestat, similarly broods over his turning and his past, though Louie was far more troubled by the "curse" bestowed upon him by Lestat. Lestat also broods over his sire's abandonment. To me both characters had depth, but they lacked a decent enough portrayal by their actors, more so from poor writing than anything. On another note, I can not abide by the actor that portrayed Edward. Robert Pattinson was nowhere near what I would have liked to see portrayed Edward. My daughter has read the books, I have not so forgive me here for i know that books are usually ten times what the movies are. My wife and daughter both liked the series but even my daughter told me the movies were a huge disappointment.
Like Louie and the Cullens, Nick from Forever Knight would seek nourishment on pre-bottled blood of cows/pigs much to the disgust of his other nocturnal friends (fiends). Where Louie found nourishment in rats, the Cullens in animal blood this only portrays a shift in the social aspects for political correctness. There's enough violence and bloodshed in television and movies, as well as gaming media i'm sure this was to appeal to a broader audience while at the same time trying to remain true to it's fan base.
Stephen Kings track record with miniseries has gone wrong ever since he started allowing them to be made. Every one of them has failed to produce the ratings or satisfaction that was expected. Some due to poor direction, lack of special effects, poor character portrayal and horrible editing. The Stand; which had probably one of the best all star casts line ups assembled ever; suffered worse than some of the others although. Here again you have great actors but poor writing and translation. The made for television mini series has always been a struggle for authors and fans alike, expecting too much here is like wishing in one hand and defecating in the other to see which fills up first.
Would Bram Stoker be rolling in his grave? Probably, but like any other creative person, he would understand that opinions vary and you can only hold onto as many fans as you can satisfy.
As long as the future keeps moving forward, so is fiction, the creative process and well all the characters we love and cherish. the Vampire will live on and prosper with time as will all of us.

Giovanna_X

GameSage: DK Online
Giovanna_X
PostedMar 03, 2012 8:54 pm
Since I first posted this thread (and actually quite recently, when the latest of the Twilight movies came out on DVD), I finally bought all the available movies from the series and watched them all in a period of 24 hours or so (this included re-watching the first movie). All but the latest movie were being offered at a special promotional price and I figured I might as well finally (ahem) bite the bullet and get a more thorough idea of what the series is about in order to have a more informed view. I have to say I'm a bit fonder of the first movie on second viewing than I was the first time around, and the other movies added into the mix lend some depth to the storyline. The mysterious "rulers" of Vampires in Italy with their own hidden agendas, the Vampire vs. Werewolf feud (and its rather interesting resolution), the "rogue" Vampires, more backstory for some of the main characters, etc, all add to the dimension of depth. I still would prefer a different actor for Edward, but honestly, Pattinson isn't that bad (he isn't gorgeous like Alex O'Loughlin as Mick St. John in Moonlight, but then again, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," and his acting was better in the subsequent movies than it was in the first).

I also, upon watching the first movie again and having had time to reflect on my first viewing thereof, have a better understanding of a scene I criticized in one of my earlier posts in this thread, namely when
I wrote:
I've also seen the character of Bella criticized as one-dimensional or insufficiently developed. There were a few aspects of the movie that, in my opinion, portrayed that character in a way that I did not find pleasing, such as her almost neurotic reaction to Edward's intention to leave for her safety. We get that the girl is "crazy" about him; she doesn't have to be depicted as if she is literally crazy, with an unhealthy obsession over the boy. She also should not be conceived as if she is merely a shadow to his supposed light.  

I get that now; she comes from a family that has been split asunder by divorce. That carries some baggage, and that baggage helps to explain her reaction to his stated intention to leave for her safety. In the subsequent movies, the character of Bella is less "shadow to Edward" than she seemed in the first movie.

While I still wouldn't call myself a "fan" of the series (rather a fan of Vampire folklore, literature, and movies/television shows in general, with a few that I reject as heinous and/or ludicrous in one or more particulars), the Twilight movies have found a place in my DVD collection, and I'm not ashamed of their presence there. I still regard them as soundly within the Western Vampire Tradition, and at least decent (maybe even good) representations of that genre. I suppose that, once I have seen the final movie (due out this year, I believe), I will get the books and read them, and decide if I like them better than the films.

I would like to touch upon another Vampire movie series here, namely, the Underworld movies. According to some critics of the Twilight series, this was "the" inspiration for the Vampire versus Werewolf feud in the latter. In fact, however, that motif goes back some distance in time. There were even "classic" B&W movies in which "Dracula" and "the Wolfman" appeared to be enemies with some history between them, and fought to the death. I found the Underworld movies quite enjoyable (although I have yet to see the fourth film), and better suited for a more mature audience than the Twilight movies, but I've seen them criticized as well, and in particular, I have seen the character of Selene criticized for not being "scary" enough. Some of the critics have pointed out (rightly) that she does not feed nor Turn others (except for the necessity of saving Michael from death), at least not on camera, but instead relies on more-or-less conventional weaponry (firearms, although often with modified rounds used as ammunition, and swords), and those same critics have suggested that this makes her somehow less than satisfactory as a Vampiress; some have even offered what I view as chauvinistic criticisms, namely, that she "looks good" in a corset and leather catsuit, but doesn't inspire fear like a Vampire "should." Vampires and Vampiresses in other stories and movies, however, have not always relied on their fangs to kill, and have at times used more conventional weapons. Further, I suspect this pontification that Vampires and Vampiresses "should" inspire fear has more to do with the more recent portrayals of Vampires as homicidal maniacs without any control over their passions and appetites (and maybe, in the same [ahem] vein, with the fact that she doesn't become an unattractive Kligonesque-looking creature when she "vamps out") than it does with the earlier Vampire Tradition. Nevertheless, Selene as a "Death Dealer" certainly has the right amount of "cold-blooded killer" attitude to be intimidating to most mortal opponents. Skilled not only with fang and claw, but also with bladed weapons, firearms, and ordinary hand-to-hand combat, Selene is undeniably a formidable foe, and hardly unsatisfactory as a Vampiress.

PS: Those who missed out on the opportunity to participate in my "What is Gothic?" essay competition (which is now over) may be interested to read some of the entries. These can be found in this thread.

wantingit

Rank 0
wantingit
PostedOct 28, 2012 10:26 pm

yeah

the fans annoy me
i dont care for the movies. more than anything it's the fans i cant stand. every film series or game series or w/e has those loyal fans that no matter the quality of the production they will praise it as the best they have ever seen or ever played ect ect ect.

Kizuna7

Rank 5
Kizuna7
PostedOct 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: yeah

the fans annoy me

~Lil_Kizuna

Giovanna_X

Giovanna_X
PostedOct 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: yeah

the fans annoy me
Kizuna7 wrote:

~Lil_Kizuna  

Dis hyar t'read ain't dead. It's Undead.

Avyn

Rank 5.2
Avyn
PostedOct 29, 2012 3:52 am
To be fair, it was still on the front page, lol.

Giovanna_X

Giovanna_X
PostedMar 22, 2013 3:05 pm
And it still is on the first page. Mr. Green

Well, anyway, now that the final movie of the movie is available in various formats, a revisit to this thread, a reprise, a coda, so to speak, a revisiting, yes, seems entirely warranted.

I have now watched the final movie, but I would like to re-watch the entire saga first, and then offer some further thoughts in light of the whole.

In the meantime, does anyone else who has watched all of the movies have any perspectives they would like to share? Smile

I will say, for this interim, that I believe that this final movie was the best of the series, in a number of respects. Oddity also existed in it, of which more anon.

RSVP

Alt_Reaper321

Rank 4
Alt_Reaper321
PostedApr 10, 2013 3:49 pm
Posting out of boredom and wanting post opinion as well.

Because of my girlfriend I have seen all of the except breaking dawn pt1 (weaseled my way out of this one) and I gotta say: meh. It was okay action was in parts when needed, but it was a love story. I'm not much fan of movies but it seems the movie was aimed at girls (srry >.<) and I only had few enjoyment out of this. Don't remember alot about it but transaction of each movie was okay and story wise coulda went better. Oh yea and the fans Gawd it was hard to hear the mocie