OsmosisGnome

Rank 4
OsmosisGnome
PostedJun 12, 2010 11:32 am
common sense is definitely all you need here, i doubt any GS would whisper any specific person to sell anything instead of using trade chat; a whisper from a "gs" selling something to me would set off a symphony of alarm bells.

Advertisement

Chirugai

Rank 4
Chirugai
PostedJun 12, 2010 11:45 am
Kalashnikovaa wrote:
LoveLovey wrote:

- And most importantly folks, just use common sense. If the "GS" you meet with is a level 10-20 character, it isn't a real GS. If a GS you've never seen before whispers you asking to make a trade, it's ok to be suspicious. It's ok to be paranoid. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Unless its GSBob on his noob character in Alice. Of which then you can do what I did and PM him to prove of his GS-ness :]

Guys as Lovey has touched on, you can never be too cautious when it comes to things like this. There is so many scammers on this game its really in your best interest to take the cautious way of approaching unknown situations. If you're unsure of a GS just ask him to prove his title on the SB. I think its safe to say that all the GSs here would be more then happy to log on really quick to give you a sure enough answer, and any GS who refuses proof or gives you lip about it should be marked as an impostor.

When trading with any character, you should ALWAYS double check you're getting what you're supposed to be paying for. It just so happens the scams are used with lower leveled characters. Perfect example: There was a lower leveled character on yell chat linking a +8% crit damage stone selling it for 550g, when you traded him he'd put the real stone first then unlock and swap it with a cheap M-Crit chance stone.

Just be aware there is a lot more scams going on then trading with GSs, though it is one of the most biggest concerns since anyone with a GS in the name is considered trustworthy by most players.  

Too add more:

Another path is to deal via Auction House. Anything I purchase is done via Auction House. As long as you pay attention to what you are buying, you can not be scammed by the AH.

If you do deal with someone
a) always do it in person, mailing items is an invitation for scam.
b) never buy an item without doing your research first, just because someone says it is rare/expensive, does not mean it is.
c) always check the window before you hit OK to trade.

It is best not to treat a Game Sage any different than any other stranger you are trading with. While we are trustworthy people, you can weed out a lot of impersonator scams just by following the same precautions you would if a player named 1337c00ki3z wanted you to buy something expensive.

chaosmastery

Rank 0
PostedJun 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Potential Scam

So this dude Jawshii wanted to sell me $60 worth of ap and he found the fake GSNecroMikki and GSFabied to do the transaction. Me being smart and checking the names they didn't match. After telling Jawshii he could give me m clays instead of ap he logs off logs in and blocks me*. Also these fake GS's hide themselves

LoveLovey

Rank 4
LoveLovey
PostedJun 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: Potential Scam

chaosmastery wrote:
So this dude Jawshii wanted to sell me $60 worth of ap and he found the fake GSNecroMikki and GSFabied to do the transaction. Me being smart and checking the names they didn't match. After telling Jawshii he could give me m clays instead of ap he logs off logs in and blocks me*. Also these fake GS's hide themselves  
What do you mean they hide themselves?

[ Aquamarine - Tranquillus - Deity ]

Respect existence or expect resistance.

chaosmastery

Rank 0
PostedJun 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Scammers

They would make some bull remarks like, "I can't show myself because people would flood me with messages and other trades." They also had just whispered me and of course since I couldn't see where they were it wasn't easy to track them. They should make it so "GS" can only be used by the actual Game Sages it would save a lot of time and allow better safety.

LoveLovey

Rank 4
LoveLovey
PostedJun 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Scammers

chaosmastery wrote:
They would make some bull remarks like, "I can't show myself because people would flood me with messages and other trades." They also had just whispered me and of course since I couldn't see where they were it wasn't easy to track them. They should make it so "GS" can only be used by the actual Game Sages it would save a lot of time and allow better safety.  
But you have to see them in order to make a trade or for them to mediate the trade.
Or do you mean hiding themselves on the friend list? Because there's no possible way to do that. There's no "hide" feature.
And you can easily track them by adding them to your friendslist.

L33T_A554SS1N

Rank 0
L33T_A554SS1N
PostedJun 14, 2010 4:19 am
im just saying it would be alot better if in the next patch they make a filter to stop you from calling yourself GSexample >.> wouldent be that hard to do >.< Confused

crystalpink

Rank 5.1
crystalpink
PostedJun 14, 2010 5:15 am
Oh dear, the scammers are getting more and more "creative" >.<;;;

LoveLovey

Rank 4
LoveLovey
PostedJun 14, 2010 1:34 pm
L33T_A554SS1N wrote:
im just saying it would be alot better if in the next patch they make a filter to stop you from calling yourself GSexample >.> wouldent be that hard to do >.< Confused  
Actually apparently it is hard to do. They've already attempted to and weren't able to. They tried having [GS] titles in stead, but then players were unable to add the GS's to their friendslist.

TiffanyChow

Rank 3
PostedJun 14, 2010 1:56 pm
Most of these scammers are level 10. I think they tend to avoid selling to high levels because they know we're more careful compared to lower level players. One time i whispered one of them and he said "sold out, sorry". IMO, add them to FL before you purchase anything. If they are level 30 or below, especially lvl 10 GSs, it's way too fishy to purchase anything off these players.