LoveLovey

Rank 4
LoveLovey
PostedJun 11, 2010 9:04 pm   Last edited by LoveLovey on Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am. Edited 2 times in total

Buying/Selling AP (Fun Cards) &The Risks.

Including information about GS impersonators!
This topic used to be about Game Sage impersonators who scammed players who wished to buy AP Fun Cards, and while it still is I thought I'd build on it to inform players the risks of buying/selling (mainly buying) AP.

Here is a topic posted by Superman0X about AP Gifts/Trades. It's a very informative topic that should be read by anyone interested in possibly buying/selling Fun Cards (or any other prepaid AP card).
I'd like to point out one particular section of this topic:
Superman0X wrote:
What will Aeria Games do for me if I get tricked/defrauded in a transaction with AP Codes?
Nothing. We do not support the exchange of these codes, so you do this at your own risk. However, if we receive multiple reports of fraudulent behavior about the same account, it may result in loss of service for that account.

What does this mean? It means that if you get scammed, YOUR MONEY/AP WILL NOT BE REFUNDED. The GMs do not condone this method but they do not prohibit it either. It is a do at your own risk kind of trade.
If you still wish to take the risk, but want to feel safer, you may ask a GS to mediate the trade. How does this work? (I'm going to explain what to do if you're buying the AP since this is most often the case)
You give a GS whatever you're buying the Fun Card with, whether it be gold, M-Clays, Costumes etc and then the seller will give you the Fun Card pin number. You will go here and under the PrePaid category click on the Fun Card option and follow the directions.
If the pin number goes through and proves to be legit, the GS will then trade the player who sold you the Fun Card.

A few things to keep in mind: A GS does NOT have to mediate a AP trade. It is their choice whether to do so or not. Even if a GS does mediate a trade, there is still a chance of being scammed.
Sellers of Fun Cards can be scammed too. Please remember that a player can always claim the number doesn't work thus getting their items back AND pocketing your AP. This is why GM's don't condone this type of trade. There is always a chance of getting scammed. This is also why it's best to only trade with well known players. Do your research before taking this risk. Frequent your server's Barter section and lurk topics that have to do with buying/selling AP. You'll soon be able to gather who is well known and who isn't.

GS Impersonators
There has been a recent trend of AP scammers impersonating GS's to trick players into trusting them. How do they do this? In Grand Fantasia, an uppercase " i " looks EXACTLY like a lowercase L. So more than likely they will only impersonate GS's will lowercase l's in their name. Please keep this in mind.

How can you protect yourself?
- Add ALL of the GS's on your server to your friendslist. You can find a list of the GS's here. If a GS whispers you but isn't online on your friendslist, they are an impersonator and you should report them immediately! There is NO function in game that allows you to hide offline.
- KNOW YOUR GS's! Try to memorize if you can who your server GS's are! This will prevent a fake GS from attempting to trick you.
- GS's are unable to ban. If a "GS" claims that if the person scams you then they'll ban you, it is NOT a real GS!

It's ok to be paranoid. It is always better to be safe than sorry. I hope this helps! Please pass this onto all your friends so they can better protect themselves too!

~ Lovey
Advertisement

conde09

Rank 0
conde09
PostedJun 11, 2010 9:08 pm
I have been scammed by a GSGash which is not part of the GS list. So definitely there is a problem here. Players can create characters with "GS" attached on their names

LoveLovey

Rank 4
LoveLovey
PostedJun 11, 2010 9:13 pm
Yes, unfortunately that does happen. Another good idea before making a deal with a GS is checking this list and make sure they're on it. Also, check their level. Add them to friends. If it's a level 10 nooblet, more than likely it isn't a GS.

[ Aquamarine - Tranquillus - Deity ]

Respect existence or expect resistance.

cluskey1

Rank 3
cluskey1
PostedJun 11, 2010 9:19 pm
Outrageous!!! those copycats!!

Be careful folks Wink

Liddokun

GameSage: Aura Kingdom
Liddokun
PostedJun 11, 2010 9:33 pm
Okay I've been a victim of impersonation... my IGN is GSFabled, lvl 50 sage and GSNecromiki, lvl 55 necro .. if it's some lvl 10 n00b that's not me. I saw some n00b named Gsnecromikki running around and that's NOT me. Plus I don't normally sell AP cards. Be aware that buying and selling AP cards at your own risk. AGE policy will not reimburse your items/AP cards if you got scammed. Again there's no safe or secure way to sell them so do it at your own risk (or better yet don't do it with strangers). The chance of getting scammed is extremely high. Additional note: Impersonating a GS or GM = perma ban.

ForumLucario

Rank 0
ForumLucario
PostedJun 12, 2010 12:49 am
i'm just curious, do GSs still recieve the "GS" Signboard?
if they do then the person confonting these impersonators can ask to see the GS signboard
if not then... read the previous posts in this thread? =x

<3 my angel Wini25

Rakusen

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
Rakusen
PostedJun 12, 2010 1:27 am
They still receive the <GS Icon>.

Contact Us~Don't be afraid to ask for help~Terms of Service~

Sal3

Rank 5
Sal3
PostedJun 12, 2010 8:18 am
If person cant see difference between level 11 character and level 70 character. I dont think that its even aware that GS sign exists.

LoveLovey

Rank 4
LoveLovey
PostedJun 12, 2010 10:42 am
ForumLucario wrote:
i'm just curious, do GSs still recieve the "GS" Signboard?
if they do then the person confonting these impersonators can ask to see the GS signboard
if not then... read the previous posts in this thread? =x  
That's true! That's another way to ensure the authenticity. Although sometimes GS's don't receive their sign immediately. It can take some time for them to receive it. So I believe the previous steps are best.

- Adding them to friends (Checking their level)
- Instead of using "r" or "ctrl+r" to reply, actually type out their name to respond. Maybe type a question like "So you're wanting to sell me funcards?" If either A.) It says they're not online or B.) Another GS answers back saying "huh?" then it would be best to report at this time.
- Asking another GS to mediate the trade. Sure you may be doing a trade with a GS, that doesn't mean you can't have another GS mediate the trade. The GS's would know better than anyone if the GS you are trading with is the real thing.
- And most importantly folks, just use common sense. If the "GS" you meet with is a level 10-20 character, it isn't a real GS. If a GS you've never seen before whispers you asking to make a trade, it's ok to be suspicious. It's ok to be paranoid. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Just another thing to be aware of. Even with a GS mediating the trade, it's always possible to still be scammed. Selling/Buying Funcards is a slippery slope in Grand Fantasia. The GM's do not approve of selling/buying Funcards but they don't prohibit it either. Since they don't approve of it, it is a do at your own risk sort of trade. If you are scammed and it involves Funcards, you will not be reimbursed.
GS's are not required to mediate trades involving Funcards, so it may be hard finding a GS willing to do this. Even though I am not a GS anymore, I am still willing to be the middle man between trades. So if you go into the trade knowing that there is always a risk of being scammed but want to feel a bit safer, come find me and I will be glad to help.

Kalashnikovaa

Rank 4
Kalashnikovaa
PostedJun 12, 2010 11:11 am
LoveLovey wrote:

- And most importantly folks, just use common sense. If the "GS" you meet with is a level 10-20 character, it isn't a real GS. If a GS you've never seen before whispers you asking to make a trade, it's ok to be suspicious. It's ok to be paranoid. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Unless its GSBob on his noob character in Alice. Of which then you can do what I did and PM him to prove of his GS-ness :]

Guys as Lovey has touched on, you can never be too cautious when it comes to things like this. There is so many scammers on this game its really in your best interest to take the cautious way of approaching unknown situations. If you're unsure of a GS just ask him to prove his title on the SB. I think its safe to say that all the GSs here would be more then happy to log on really quick to give you a sure enough answer, and any GS who refuses proof or gives you lip about it should be marked as an impostor.

When trading with any character, you should ALWAYS double check you're getting what you're supposed to be paying for. It just so happens the scams are used with lower leveled characters. Perfect example: There was a lower leveled character on yell chat linking a +8% crit damage stone selling it for 550g, when you traded him he'd put the real stone first then unlock and swap it with a cheap M-Crit chance stone.

Just be aware there is a lot more scams going on then trading with GSs, though it is one of the most biggest concerns since anyone with a GS in the name is considered trustworthy by most players.