AvariceLite

Rank 0
AvariceLite
PostedMay 30, 2010 2:55 am   Last edited by AvariceLite on Jun 01, 2010 4:43 am. Edited 3 times in total

Trial By Fire

1. n. A test of one's abilities, especially the ability to perform well under pressure.
I'm going to try to write this in chapters, because if I went to go and write it all at once, or write it before I posted it, it would never get done, and I would have to keep going back and revising it. This way, it's more pure.

Chapter 1

Blood hung in the air as a thick red mist. It coated the walls in large splatters, like a contemporary art experiment. The team of soldiers had no warning, they were about to enter the wolves' den on the lower deck, and in the blink of an eye, the first man in was gone. Then another. And another. The others were already in the room looking around for the source by the time the third was taken. The team of ten, now seven, had already deduced that the enemy was above, but they made a fatal mistake. The blood of their comrades rained down on them, and they were blind. Nobody had fired a single round.

"McLean!"

Corporal Seath McLean snapped to attention upon hearing his name. He was in shock, he knew. but after so many years of battle, bloodshed, and horror, Seath should have been able to ignore his emotions and focus on the task at hand. But he wasn't prepared for this. None of them were.

"Sir?"

"I said 'We're moving!' So on your feet!"

Sergeant Cooper held a hand out to him. Despite his harsh tone, he was sympathetic. Word on the wire was that Cooper was the only survivor of the first publicly acknowledged werewolf attack in Scotland. While on a training mission, he and his men were defending themselves in the same home the aforementioned werewolves lived in. He was a private back then. And they were being used as bait.

Seath took his hand and allowed Sarge to pull him to his feet. His knees gave out and he collapsed to the floor. Private Miller handed him a Nutribar and clapped him on the shoulder. Miller was a tall African fellow whose muscles had muscles. But he had the heart of a kitten. He was the teams demolitions expert, and despite his gentle demeanor, he was heck on two legs with a grenade in one hand and a RPG launcher strapped to his shoulder.

"It'll be okay," Miller said, "We can beat this."

"I'm sorry, were you not with us when we got slaughtered?" This from Anju, the team's sniping expert.

"Don't be angry with him. Our morale must be high despite what we're up against. They can smell our fear, it is the finest, most attractive perfume to them. If we let our fear rule us, they will most certainly destroy us all," Sarge interjected. "We should be devising a strategy instead of arguing. Show me why you are worthy of this mission."

The men all became quiet. Sarge had charisma, off of the battlefield he was quite the ladies man, and even the men were irresistibly drawn to him. He had high, elegant cheekbones, reminiscent of his early Nordic ancestors. His skin was fair and had a healthy glow to it. He could make anything look good, and those who didn't know of his feats would say that he would be better suited to being an actor than a soldier.

They looked around at each other, then at their surroundings, acting as ordered. Containers of all different colors lined the walls, some had perfect coverage for sniping, others created a bottleneck opening. They each found a place where they could go, and discussed it with the rest of the group.

Sarge brought it all together, "Okay, I want Anju up on that container over there, in the corner. It's the highest point, so he should be able to provide the rest of us with the positions of the enemy. Private Jenson will assist you by providing cover from the wolves you miss.

"Corporal Lee, you will be posted between those two blue containers, and prepare to ambush. Miller, I want you to set up motion activated mines along this wall, and a few trip wires on those two containers at the far end, one high, one low. These creatures are big, and whether they move low or run upright, we'll catch them."

Everyone nodded as they were given their orders. Seath's name wasn't called, and he asked, "What am I to do, sir?"

"Your file says that prior to your joining up, you were a star track runner, is that correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. You, my friend, have the most important task of all. You are going to lead them into our trap."

Seath's blood turned to ice at the completion of that statement, but he nodded anyway. Those beasts moved fast, faster than the eye could see if what happened earlier was any evidence. He chewed the Nutribar that Miller had handed him, and jumped up to Anju's nest, scanning the area for the route that he would take.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all for the moment, I'm going to go play WT, lol
Advertisement

profilthy

Rank 0
PostedMay 30, 2010 5:40 am
LOL at your signature.

cool story too btw

AvariceLite

Rank 0
AvariceLite
PostedMay 30, 2010 5:50 am
Heh, thanks. I expect it to be near 5 chapters, and that's just half a standard page right there. Ugh. I got too distracted while trying to write it, people kept talking to me, and I got antsy and wanted to kill some wolves.

That quote in my sig is form Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire hunter series. The woman is my God.

♠Problem Log♥Sig Gallery♣Hiatus♦

profilthy

Rank 0
PostedMay 30, 2010 6:05 am
AvariceLite wrote:
Heh, thanks. I expect it to be near 5 chapters, and that's just half a standard page right there. Ugh. I got too distracted while trying to write it, people kept talking to me, and I got antsy and wanted to kill some wolves.

That quote in my sig is form Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire hunter series. The woman is my God.  

It's hard to focus on other things when you have wolfteam installed. Very Happy

Also, I'm pretty sure my girlfriend would know the series you mentioned lol, she's into the whole vampire/erotica kind of books. I'm more of a Clive Custler and Robert Ludlum fan myself.

AvariceLite

Rank 0
AvariceLite
PostedMay 30, 2010 7:22 am
I would love to have a chat with her. I rarely hear about other women who prefer Hamilton to Meyer (talentless POC). You should also suggest to her Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series, they're great.

I'm also a fan of Ludlum, can't say I've read any Clive Cussler. But I must say, I prefer Michael Crichton's books to Ludlums, though the latter has some awesome quotes, especially in the Bourne Trilogy, that I've adopted.

I used to work in a new and used bookstore, and I was paid in store credit for the first three months. So I have a pretty extensive library for someone my age, diverse, too, but I prefer thriller and horror to most other genres.

I also added in a few more lines, would have been more, but I was interrupted by a social call and an impromptu shower, lol.

profilthy

Rank 0
PostedMay 30, 2010 8:52 am
AvariceLite wrote:
I would love to have a chat with her. I rarely hear about other women who prefer Hamilton to Meyer (talentless POC). You should also suggest to her Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series, they're great.

I would know nothing about all that, I'd have to ask her what she really prefers. All I know is that she likes vampire novels and those kind of books.

I'm also a fan of Ludlum, can't say I've read any Clive Cussler. But I must say, I prefer Michael Crichton's books to Ludlums, though the latter has some awesome quotes, especially in the Bourne Trilogy, that I've adopted.

I have never read any Michael Crichton, is he in the same sort of Spy/Espionage/Action genre? Also, The Bourne Trilogy was great, but Eric Van Lustbader extended the trilogy with alot more novels after the Bourne Ultimatum. His style of writing is different, he uses more vulgar to get the same points across that Ludlum would get across much more expertly; however, he is still a very good author and I'd say it is worth trying one of the Eric Van Lustbader novels on the Bourne series.

I used to work in a new and used bookstore, and I was paid in store credit for the first three months. So I have a pretty extensive library for someone my age, diverse, too, but I prefer thriller and horror to most other genres.

Haha, I used to work at Chapters, which is the biggest book store around where I live. I didn't get paid in store credit though, so most of the money I made built me the computer I'm writing to you on right now.

I also added in a few more lines, would have been more, but I was interrupted by a social call and an impromptu shower, lol.

Haha, you'll get it all done eventually Razz
You can't rush talent o.o

AvariceLite

Rank 0
AvariceLite
PostedJun 01, 2010 4:46 am
Added a couple more paragraphs.

Michael Crichton is the man behind Jurassic Park, the Andromeda Strain, Congo, and many other books that were made into movies.

And I never knew the Bourne books were continued, I'm going to have to check that out sometime.