SailorSpira

Rank 5
SailorSpira
PostedNov 11, 2009 9:53 am   Last edited by SailorSpira on Dec 15, 2010 1:32 am. Edited 12 times in total

Stranger danger.

Beware of scammers.
Ok boys and girls, myself and a few other GS's have been getting several reports of players being scammed. So here are some tips and pointers to avoid being scammed.

Friend asks to borrow gold or items.

Lately there have been several players claiming to be people they are not. They will come to you claiming to be a good friend in need of gold or to borrow some gear.

Things to consider:

• Is this a toon you recognise? Anyone can PM you claiming to be someone else. If you don't know the toon, don't trust the player with your things.

• The spelling of the name. Is the name spelt exactly the same as the player you know and trust? Keep in mind . and -, not to mention the letter O and number 0, small L's and capital I's. If they are on your buddies list check their status. Try whispering them with the correct spelling.

• Do they have the appropriate guild tags? Level? Class? Gear?

• Is this in character for the player? Most people just don't start asking for things out of the blue.

• Is this the normal play time for this player?

When in doubt. Don't give stuff out.

I would also like to say this. Just because a person is your friend, doesn't mean that you will get your items or gold back. A large portion of scams reported are from people who lent things to players they considered friends. So please don't loan anything out if you can't handle not getting it back.

Player transactions

All right now this is another common one. Players have been know to remove items from trade window just as a player presses ok. Thus losing gold or items with nothing in return.

It is important for players to understand that player to player transaction method is NOT a safe trading method. Please only use it when trading with people you trust.

Here are some alternate trading solutions:

• If the trade is a straight item for gold swap. Make use of the individual market function. This can be found in your subskills bar (B). Here you can clearly see the item and the set gold amount (The seller can not change this without closing shop). Please Note this function can only be used in: Apulune, Iris and Bootleggary area.

• If item trading is required, then do not hesitate to ask a GS for assistance. The GS offers a 3rd party trade buffer, both players give items to the GS, then the GS gives the items to their new owners.
    Note: If a GS is not available on your server, you can check other servers and shout box, many GS's have alts on other servers, or trades can be performed in linked waiting room.

Paying for Plvl's

I often hear of players:
1. Paying for a plvl and not receiving them.
2. People Plvling and not receiving gold.

Now this is a tricky on. There is no guaranteed way to prevent yourself from being scammed. But there are some tips that may lessen the loss if that happens.

• It is the Power Levers reasonable request to ask for payment first. This is a business transaction, you are purchasing a service. Payment traditionally comes first.

However you don't need the full amount up front, and if a player demands this it is understandable to be wary. The best idea is to come up with a compromise. Divide the plvl up. Pay by the hr (or half) or by level. Money > Level > Money > Level ect.

• When looking for a power level, buy it from some you know (if possible) or someone you know of. Asking a random for a plvl and then handing them money, is not a good idea under any circumstances. There are players who's main income is from plvl's, they have good reputations and are unlikely to want to ruin that.

• If the player claims they have their gold on another toon. Request that they go to the other toon and show you the gold. That way, you know they have the gold to pay, and the "piggy bank" is near by so the player can quickly character jump for fast payment installations.

Transferring gold.

I have one simple request: Do not trust strangers with your gold. Too often I hear "I gave him my gold, toon jumped and he walked off and wouldn't give it back."

Often in these cases, the player given the gold didn't even understand what was going on.

How to transfer gold safely between toons:

• If you have gold amounts of 100 mil, these can be transformed into gold bars, at the gold bar merchant in Apulune/Iris. Placed in your WH and removed by another toon. These gold bars can then be sold to an NPC for 100 mil, the exact same value as their purchase price.

• Request a GS to assist you.
    Note: If a GS is not available on your server, you can check other servers and shout box, many GS's have alts on other servers, or trades can be performed in linked waiting room.

As I said before, just because a person is a friend does not mean they will not take your things.

Market Scams.
(Added on player input. Thank you Peppill)

Ok there are a few ways players try to scam others, using individual markets. Here are some things to check before purchase:

• Make sure you read the item description before purchasing. Do not assume that just because the other items in the stall where on thing that the one you are purchasing is the same.
    e.g.: Level 1 craft lapis hidden amongst level 1 dual craft.

• Check the price on each individual item. Price's can differ on the same item in a stall.
    e.g.: Selling lapis at 1 million, with one or two of the same type at 10 million.

These can both be easily over looked when buying in bulk.

• Do you know what this item does? Players sometimes sell useless items at high prices with a misleading shop title.
    e.g.: Snob value boxes, these items are useless. However their item description can be misleading and many players take advantage of this, selling them for several million.

• Some players also try to sell Gold, silver and copper bars. These item's have set values and should not be purchased from other players.

Buying and Selling GM Enchants, GM Links and Character revivals.

As these transactions require good faith on both parties behalfs and deal in large amounts of gold. It is very important to get a GS involved in your transaction. I would recomend a GS you know to share regular game play time with you to make things more convient.

Once the players have agreed on the amount, then payment should be given to the GS. Then and only then should the ticket for the enchant/link/revival be submitted. Once they player has received their link, enchant or revival they should contact the GS holding the gold. The GS will then pass the payment onto the seller.

• Do not give your item to be enchanted or linked to the person selling you the enchant/link, place it in slot 1, 1 and 2 if a link, of your warehouse.

• Please also be patient. GM enchants and links can take several days for our lovely GMies to get through, so don't expect it to happen right away.

Getting a GS for a trade.

It must first be stated that a GS is NEVER required to do a transactions, and for various reasons may refuse or ask you to wait. If a GS refuses please be respectful of that, chances are they have a good reason. If you are refused you can politly ask them to help you find one that is able to assist you.

Please be aware a GS will always use a tagged toon for trades. Anyone can claim to be a GS, but only real GS have tags. You can find a full list of GS here.

If you are unable to find a GS in game you can try the following methods:

1. Check other Servers/Factions.

Sometimes when no one is available to assist you on your Server/faction you can try for a GS on another.

2. Try Shoutbox.

There are often GS's lurking around on the forums. Asking for one on shoutbox often gets a nice green response.

3. Send a private message via website.

Please feel free to send a message to a GS if you have questions. Just please make sure you are set to: allow private messages, if you are not then we are unable to send a reply.

4. Meebo

Meebo is the new messanger function on bottom of the AGE forums. If a GS is on your Friend list then they will also be on your Meebo (that chat bar on the bottom of the page).

Ok guys please be aware that AGE is not responsible for your transactions and trading activity.

Terms Of Service, section 14. wrote:
(e) You may not hold AGE responsible for any loss resulting from in- game trading activities. You may not hold AGE responsible for any information that is passed between players. AGE does not guarantee the safe keeping of information that is passed between players and will not be held responsible for any resulting losses or consequences arising from the improper use of said information. You may not hold AGE responsible for any in-game feature or item loss. AGE does not guarantee the availability of any in-game items, any Services or any levels to players.

However, if you are at any point scammed. Please report it. Although it is unlikely you will get your items/gold back, that does not mean action will not be taken against the scammer. What they are doing is in no way permitted and should be reported. The only way anything can be done about them is if players bring them to the attention of the GMies.

So it is up to you guys to watch out for yourselves when trading. I know we all want to be trusting, but there are dishonest people out there. So just be smart and you shouldn't have any problems.

Take care my lovelies.

<3 Prax.

Note: You can find a current listing of the GS's on your server here.

Advertisement

kom4lyf

Rank 4
kom4lyf
PostedNov 11, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Stranger danger.

Beware of scammers.
good job Prax well writen now i have to ask o.o
wtb plv ^^

Freezzo

Rank 1
Freezzo
PostedNov 11, 2009 10:14 am
Good post, tho you say alot that friends aren't always friends...
I trust every1 in my guild, even tho I don't know em very well and worked out for me Wink

pask81

Rank 5
pask81
PostedNov 11, 2009 10:22 am
/propose to stick

KTCAOP

Rank 5
KTCAOP
PostedNov 11, 2009 10:26 am
Eww another sticky? >.<

SailorSpira

Rank 5
SailorSpira
PostedNov 11, 2009 10:28 am
Freezzo wrote:
Good post, tho you say alot that friends aren't always friends...
I trust every1 in my guild, even tho I don't know em very well and worked out for me Wink  

The point f this thread was not to say that people arn't your friends hun. There are a lot of people both in and out of guild I trust. The point with that was. It does happen. It can happen, many players have trusted someone and had that trust blow up in their face. My only point with that was: Don't give it out (even to a friend) if you can't affoard to lose it.

xybolt

Rank 5.2
xybolt
PostedNov 11, 2009 10:30 am
lol so much stickies atm lol

make a new section with only stickied guides Razz

btw nice job prax ^^

signature of xybolt

SailorSpira

Rank 5
SailorSpira
PostedNov 11, 2009 10:32 am
KTCAOP wrote:
Eww another sticky? >.<  

<3 Awah thanks KTC. Hopefully enough people read it and take note.

leynad

Rank 1
leynad
PostedNov 11, 2009 11:44 am

^^

Very good thread, i've been reading a lot of posts about scammers, hopefully people start being more carefull.

evilbobby

Rank 4
PostedNov 11, 2009 12:46 pm
Another way to transfer gold in a server is through the auction house. If you want to transfer gold, lets say 270mil, from toon A to toon B. First, you can put up anything u want(for example, a golden apple) on the auction window while on toon B and set the buyout 270mil, then switch to toon A, and buy the object (in this case, the golden apple) out. When you log on toon B again, you can simply withdraw the gold under the ended-auction tab. This is a very safe way to transfer gold without asking anyone.