old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:29 am   Last edited by old.morroc on Nov 03, 2009 2:18 pm. Edited 16 times in total

Unofficial Updater # 2 Thead

FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT UPDATE THEIR GAME IN NORMAL WAY

This updater and all the future versions are released under GPL version 2  

Always download the latest version, scroll down for newer versions.  

THE PATCHER DOES NOT MODIFY ANY OF YOUR GAME FILES. YOU STILL UPDATE USING YOUR UPDATER.EXE FILE. NO PARTS OF GAME ARE ALTERED BY ME. THEY ARE MODIFIED BY UPDATER.EXE. WHICH IS THE INTENDED USE OF UPDATER.EXE  
But if AGE still looks at it as violation of ToS, A GM can contact me, and I'll remove all the information.

Check Old Post here --> http://forums.aeriagames.com/viewtopic.php?t=586731

Note - Each newer version is aimed to make the process simpler and more automated.
But remember making it automated also increases the chances of getting errors. So we will try to fix those in next versions.

So, here

Version # 0.1
created by morroc

Pros:

1. If you follow the steps carefully, greater chance that you will not have to re download or redo any of the steps.
  2. Good for people with unstable connections, who might need the feature to resume the downloads.

Cons:

1. Manual Work.
  2. Complex Process.

If you are getting timeout error on Updater, then you can try this alternate way of updating your game.
In this you are going to download the update files manually and then patch the game using a local server.
This is much more reliable and less painful when there are large updates Smile

So, here we go... download this file.
Download Link wrote:

Video Tutorial wrote:
Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdT-W4tt08&fmt=22 has sound, no annotations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuL1ggOg4o&fmt=22 no sound, contains annotations  
Unzip the file, and find README.txt file in there. Follow the instructions in it and you should be able to update your game.

I've put my best effort in making the instructions as easy as possible, but it's a complex process.
So just read it carefully while performing the steps.
It takes only 5 minutes, if you remove download time of the patches.

Why should you use it?
  1. No more re-downloading the patches, when your updater times out!
  2. You can use download manager to download files. So resume download is available.
  3. You can re-upload the patch files for your friends, so they can patch it easily.

All 3 steps effectively reduce the server load when a large patch comes out!

"This game is becoming a PvP game without PvP" - sora_emo
Advertisement

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:29 am   Last edited by old.morroc on Nov 03, 2009 2:19 pm. Edited 16 times in total
Version # 0.2
Created by morroc and Vafrous

Changelog

1. Added a "downloader.exe which completely automates the downloading process.

What's better than version 0.1? wrote:
Pro's
  1. Automated downloads.
  2. Download Resume, Yes it's available now!
  3. No redundancy in downloads. i.e, files once downloaded are not downloaded again.

Cons
  1. The process is still not fault proof. Next version will deal with that better.

Version 0.2 Download Links wrote:

Hint :- Keep an eye on downloader.exe window. It shows a lot of information (Download Size, Download Link, ETA, etc)
During Maint if the process times out, keep restarting downloader.exe till you see the message
#################### All Patches Finished Downloading! ####################.  
Video Tutorial wrote:

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:30 am   Last edited by old.morroc on Nov 03, 2009 3:03 pm. Edited 3 times in total
Version # 0.3

Target

1. Make the process resistant to faults.
  2. Shows total download size, before downloading starts.

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:30 am   Last edited by old.morroc on Nov 02, 2009 3:50 am. Edited 3 times in total
Version # 0.4

Target

1. Either write a HTTP server in python, or call hfs.exe (with presets) from the python scripts

Note - Will still require to replace the hosts file manually.

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:31 am   Last edited by old.morroc on Nov 02, 2009 3:57 am. Edited 3 times in total
Version # 0.5

Target

1. Automate the process of
    1. Backup the hosts file(somewhere).
    2. Replace the hosts file, with the version I provide (will require admin access in vista/win7)
    3. Start fileserver (hfs.exe or internal) with presets, automatically
    4. Wait for user to update the client, and press Ctrl+C. (what happens when user presses CTRL+C multiple times?)
    5. Restore the original hosts file.

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:31 am   Last edited by old.morroc on Nov 02, 2009 3:33 am. Edited 1 time in total
Version # 0.6

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:31 am
Version # 0.7

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:32 am
Version # 0.8

old.morroc

Rank 3
old.morroc
PostedNov 02, 2009 3:32 am
Version # 0.9

Version # 1.0

Final Version - Should be completely stable, and completely automated (might never reach here Sad)

Fremlong

Rank 0
Fremlong
PostedDec 14, 2009 12:04 am

I tried and failed

First off, thanks for the information. However, I tried it following step by step with version 2.0 (2.1 had corrupted files that winzip wouldn't extract) and when I got to the update part by running shaiya update the application still timed out. The HFS app ran but the indicator at the bottom was at 1% and the updater timed out. I have shaiya version 55 as installed from aeria games downloader. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.