Superman0X

Rank 5.1
Superman0X
PostedOct 21, 2009 7:44 am   Last edited by Superman0X on Jan 20, 2010 9:50 am. Edited 10 times in total

Gold Buying

Purchased gold comes at every player's expense
Today there was a very clear statement made by Blizzard about gold Buying. I don't think anyone can doubt that this is the largest game out there at this time. In this instance, they have the same problem that we have... and they stated the facts very well:

Purchased gold comes at every player's expense

We would like to make a clear statement here about the negative impact of buying gold and using power-leveling services. Every day, we encounter players who have been negatively affected and targeted by companies offering these services. So, we hope to raise awareness about the practices they engage in and the detrimental effects they have on all players, including their own customers, as well as on the game environment as a whole.

What many people don't realize when buying gold is the large impact it has on the game economy, and also how the companies selling gold obtain it. Our developers, in-game support, and anti-hack teams work diligently to stop the exploits these companies use and help players who have become victims of their services. We regularly track the source of the gold these companies sell, and find that an alarmingly high amount comes from hacked accounts. These are the friends, relatives, and guildmates you may know who have gone through the experience of having characters, gold, and items stripped from them after visiting a website or opening a file containing a trojan virus. Our teams work to educate players and assist them in avoiding account compromise, but the fact remains that the players themselves are often these companies' largest target as a source for gold, which the companies then turn around and sell to other players.

Through our normal support processes and the assistance of players, we also find that many accounts that have been shared with power-leveling services are then hacked into months later, and all of the items on the account are stripped and sold off. Basically, players have paid money to these companies, sometimes large amounts, and they're then targeted by these same companies down the road. We come across stories every week of the aftereffects of players using these services, and some players now have to deal with long-term repercussions -- in addition to consequences such as possible account suspension or closure, in many cases the companies they paid use their personal information to perpetrate identity theft and credit card fraud. These are long-lasting effects on players' personal lives that can take years to recover from.

We also want players to recognize that these companies often employ people to do their work through the use of disruptive hacks in the game, which can cause realm performance and stability issues. The companies essentially take time away from our development and in-game support efforts as we work to stop their exploits and assist players who have become their victims in recovering characters and items. They spam advertisements, use bots that make it hard for players to find the resources they need, and raise the cost of items through inflation.

The negative effects these companies create depend directly on people using their services. Without them, the companies have no way to continue their unethical actions. Furthermore, it's important to keep in mind that players are responsible for what happens with the account they play on. Selling gold for real money and having characters power-leveled are violations of our Terms of Use and End User License Agreement, and we regularly take corrective action when we find that these services have been used. We hope the information presented here is helpful to anyone considering buying gold or using a power-leveling service; these are just a few reasons that those services can negatively impact World of Warcraft and other games, and we strongly encourage players not to support the companies that offer them.  

Source

I know that we here at Aeria have made similar statements in the past, and many people have not believed that this is a industry wide problem. This is solid, tangible evidence that the industry leader has the same issue that we (the F2P leader) have.

Here is another article on the subject:

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?feature=3740&bhcp=1

Here is another new article that is related:

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.33843

It looks like the problem is getting too big even for Blizzard:

http://www.wow.com/2010/01/08/blizzard-giving-serious-consideration-to-mandatory-authenticator/

http://www.wow.com/2010/01/08/account-administration-told-not-to-restore-hacked-characters/

http://www.wow.com/2010/01/08/blizzard-policy-changes-in-reaction-to-account-security-concerns/#continued

Another company falls to GoldSellers:
http://na.aiononline.com/board/notices/view?articleID=197&page=
Advertisement

deciduouswoulds

Rank 5
deciduouswoulds
PostedOct 21, 2009 7:57 am
Gold buying is definitely a problem. Some people seem to think it's the best bang for the buck. Reality check: buying and reselling IM novelties actually reaps more benefits. Not only does it bring AP charges into the system (from your own pocket or the person you're buying items from), it also keeps your in-game market reliable. Avoid inflation and keep those consumables plentiful. I think we all know how much of a nuisance all the gold spammers are. It's not tempting, it's not practical, and there are better uses for your money -- like supporting the company which hosts the game you play.

Cheers to Blizzard. Exercise rational decision making.

@IKuPAI: I hate to spout platitudes, but "if all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?" Honestly, it's explicitly stated in the rules/ToS in which everyone who has an account signed up under that buying from 3rd party sites is a bannable offense. Think about it. Sacrifice all that money for virtual items and buy from a gold site? And then get banned? The GMs can track IPs. It's not worth that risk, nor is it a smart thing to do. It's detrimental to the game you play. That's equivalent to burning your own ship or something. Arrr matey.

Sure, in some cases, "if you can't beat them, join them". However, when it's a threat to the company and their integrity, avoid the red tide. Selling gold directly is like selling levels directly. What's the point of a F2P model? The CS items are there to enhance gameplay, not to completely detract from the experience.

<object></embed></object>

Nu_Era

Rank 0
Nu_Era
PostedOct 21, 2009 8:24 am
This is IKuPAI...

And, I believe you banned my account -.-

Superman0X

Rank 5.1
Superman0X
PostedOct 21, 2009 8:27 am
Nu_Era wrote:
This is IKuPAI...

And, I believe you banned my account -.-

We don't discuss bans on the forums. Go here:
http://www.aeriagames.com/contact

DJReddie

Rank 4
DJReddie
PostedOct 21, 2009 8:32 am
I think gold-buying is more of an issue for AeriaGames than most other problems. If we were to compare Blizzard Entertainment and Aeria Games, Blizzard would win for obvious reasons, they have way more people playing their games. The gold spammers are not being stopped frequently, so therefore new players will come online and see the spammers and think it's all right to buy gold. I know it's impossible to stop a gold spammer the second they say something, but I think the gold spammers should be treated a little more seriously.

~Havend~Tranquility~12sky2 FAQ~Retired~ <br>

marksteele

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
marksteele
PostedOct 21, 2009 9:47 am
We try DJ, but think of this. A GS happens to play and see a gold spammer, he informs the GM - Time taken 30sec to 4Mins, the GM then ether has to log on and go to the spot the gold spammer is or get a screenshot from the GS - time taken 1 - 3Mins. The GM then has to ban that account - time taken 1-2mins. the spammer logs in to a new pre-created account and starts again- 1mins-2mins (these are just rough time estimates)

so in summary:
Time taken to stop a spammer: 2 mins 30 secs - 9mins
Time taken for that spammer to start again 1 - 2 mins

you can see the problem with the methods we are using now. The other problem is to get any changes we have to work with the devs who may not have the same priorities that Aeria does.

(we get the same problem in WT but on a smaller scale. Only in this case its guild spammers)

sweetstuff4ever

Rank 3
PostedOct 21, 2009 10:16 am
I agree. Gold buying does ruin a games economy. It sky rockets all the prices and contributes to inflation. It makes it harder for those who cant afford to put RL money in the game not as fun anymore because they cant afford gear or AP items being sold in the markets. Also with the power leveling. That takes fun out of the game as well because people are so darned focused on being such a high level they dont do the quests they just skip through all that and that is supposed to be fun and it is supposed to be a part of the game. Power leveling also doesnt give you time to learn it just is a fast forward kind of thing. So im glad they came out with this statement to remind us of these things :-/

Also its sucks that people get their accounts hacked into. Its a bummer that they get tricked into it. i wish people werent so selfish about getting more gold and becoming the best on shaiya that they wouldnt violate temrs of shaiya. It may benefit them short term but in the long run they end up losing everything. And I hope people do stop using those companies so they can fail and stop stealing and hacking from people. People who do that are just rude selfish and dont have a life! lol. I wish there were ways to keep them from spamming in the game because they do get uberly annoying.

xybolt

Rank 5.2
xybolt
PostedOct 21, 2009 11:50 am
ingame spammers that are advertising gold-buyers sites or plvling services like as a virus, you can get rid of, but they will come back

banning won't work they can change IP lol

this issue is a real painfull problem for MMO-industry, AGE and Blizzard aren't alone... anothers that are hosting MMORPG games will have those problems too

the industry could work together to solve this issue but they will come back >.>

i remember me a game, but i don't know which one... if you're talking too much in 60 sec... like what spammers do ( about 30-60 text input per minute) then there has started a block and you need to click a button to wait 60 sec then you can talk...

it's not good, but a better version was told in the shaiya forum, you have the block window, but you need to write a verification code, a text on the image to start again... an idea maybe to prevent this issue ?

signature of xybolt

Valyrin

Rank 1
Valyrin
PostedOct 21, 2009 11:57 am
People never think about that kind of thing. They only think, "I could use that money to buy [insert item name here]!" They don't realize or know that it could have come from their friend account who told them that they were hacked and their stuff was stolen just the day before. I'd know this is a possibility, because my brother's account has been hacked at least twice in the past 6 months on World of Warcraft and all of his items sold and money gone. That in itself makes gold buying extremely unethical, not to mention the economical issues it creates. When people buy in-game money and buy all these items from the market, it slowly increases the price because people will stop competing: When there are less of an item, the price sky-rockets due to people wanting to get as much money from selling the item as possible. In short, it devalues the gold in-game, therein completely destroying the economy.

Aside from the gold issues, we have the power-leveling issues. People fail to realize that video games were created not to be the best or highest level, but to have fun. Utilizing power-leveling services makes it so you have inexperienced players at higher levels: Imagine a level 60 UM player on Shaiya not knowing where to go to help people in certain quests. Other than that, all they can do is show off to their peers. In my opinion, the true way to show off is to start from the beginning and reach the very end of the line (from a normal mode character to a level 60 ultimate mode character in Shaiya or General of the Army in WolfTeam) all by oneself. Besides, in my opinion, if you do use power-leveling services, you don't really deserve that account anyway as you weren't the one who did all the work on it.

BlkPanda

Rank 4
BlkPanda
PostedOct 21, 2009 1:02 pm
Ill try to keep it short and sweet.

Gold buying can destroy games its a known fact, its also known that its impossible to keep them from spamming their trash.

In all honesty, if the player is willing to go buy the gold, good chance they would be willing to find exploits and hacks for any of our wonderful games.

A BIG problem Aeria has tho, is if youre on the forums, if the page your on has the words; Gold, Spammers, Buying. The google ads box below the SB and announcements, puts up an ad for buying gold...

Like so