KaiserVilhelm

Rank 0
PostedDec 13, 2007 11:54 am

Obfustat.jbo virus- can nyone clarify a little?

virus scan picks up a supposedly infected file embedded in aeria game programs
Hey there all you wonderful, friendly peoples. I think this topic has come up once before, but the web says the thread on this topic no longer exists, so I'm running on spotty information. The other day I DL-ed the Shaiya game, hoping to play, but the beta is closed for the time being, figured that out just fine. But now today my virus scan is picking up a file in the game folder (c:\AeriaGames\Shaiya\Gameguard.des) to be infected with Obfustat.jbo
At any rate, before I had a chance to react properly to it, my anti virus reportedly deleted said file, now I am wondering if this is going to mess up my game or something of the like. Any response from someone who knows a bit about this would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

CoffeeOD

Rank 2
CoffeeOD
PostedDec 13, 2007 12:05 pm
I dont think it´s virus really, if I remember right its reported as virus cause gameguard hide itself from computer, so its some progman will see it as "spy", not sure, my memory can lie.

I dont think it will affect game, since it reload gameguard files when you start game (patches gameguard).

Lime Odyssey guild websites project (pm me if intrest, also free guild forum hosting.) Create own Lime Odyssey signature

scuttlefish

Rank 0
scuttlefish
PostedDec 13, 2007 6:34 pm
Make sure your antivirus has the very latest definition updates - this is not a new problem with game guard from what I read. I seriously doubt you can play without this file intact, and I also doubt that the file itself is infected with anything if you got it from a reputable download source.

Game guard can LOOK like a trojan to AV software as it intercepts program calls, updates itself so firewalls can block it as well, etc. It is not uncommon these days in mmo software so I wouldn't get my undies in a twist over it.

Norton Antivirus corporate edition with the latest updates did not find it a problem here.

You could try this.

1) Most AV software will quarantine suspect files. If you have the option to find it in the AV software you may be able to restore it and tell the AV software to ignore that file.

2) You could look for a setting in your AV software for what action to take when it finds an infection. If you change the default action from DELETE to PROMPT, when you reinstall Shaiya it "should" then ask you what to do with Gameguard.des, rather than instantly delete it.

3) Go to your AV software home page and try searching for gameguard and see what they have to say about it.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

A link to the gameguard product page http://eng.nprotect.com/nprotect_gameguard.htm