kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedJun 22, 2009 7:51 pm
Um...I wouldn't mind at least some opinion on whether this is of any use...keh.

Advertisement

Kuenaimaku

Rank 5
Kuenaimaku
PostedJun 22, 2009 10:18 pm
5-8 are things that everyone should know how to do, and sadly they don't. I love the explanation of the BBCode in general, and how you organized this altogether.

One thing I would like to correct:

1) The name and rank of account of the person whose post it is. Ranks are given at 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600 posts. (These link to that users profile.)  

They are now 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200.

Kryyn

Rank 5
Kryyn
PostedJun 23, 2009 10:34 am
You're always making all these big fancy guides yet I never see you apply for GS or Forum Mod.

At least get paid for your work! Razz

kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedJun 25, 2009 12:59 pm
Kuenaimaku wrote:
They are now 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200.  
Thanks. Changed.

Kryyn wrote:
You're always making all these big fancy guides yet I never see you apply for GS or Forum Mod.  
I did apply. For forum mod thrice and was rejected thrice.

For game GS, I couldn't. The last time there were applications for my server, I couldn't even log in to it...

Dota999

Rank 3
Dota999
PostedJul 08, 2009 12:38 pm
kikix12 wrote:
Chapter 7: Profiles
There are too many images to be taken related to profiles, therefore I will not use many. This Chapter will be strictly based on explanation.

Your own profile can be accessed through the button on the top-right corner of each Aeria page.
Others profile can be reached through their posts/threads/shoutbox, basically everywhere where you can find their names.

1) Basic Overview:
After profile is opened, few boxes are visible. On the top-left corner of it there is always a box with the users account name, his personal information (if given), link to search set to find all the users post ever made and five stars titled "My Karma" (on your profile) or "Rate <NAME> Karma" (on others profiles).
These stars are rating system made on forum, with 2 and a half star being normal karma rating, 1 star being the lowest and 5 stars being the highest.

NOTE: Any links made directly to your karma rating are agains't the rules. Karma vote expires after three months. Before expiration, it can't be cast again by the same person.

Around this box, there are movable boxes named "Comments" (can be turned off for visitors or restricted to friends only), "My Media" (not visible if empty), "Signature", "My Friends" (can be turned off for visitors or restricted to friends only), "Blurp About Me" (can be turned off for visitors or restricted to friends only) and "My Blogs" (not visible if empty).
These boxes can be freelly rearranged by drag and drop method (the boxes in which their titles are visible are to be dragged).

The inbox may be reached from any Aeria page. Link to it is next to "My Profile" button on the top-right of page.

2) Important Settings:
To change the settings, use the Settings button next to Inbox one on the top-right of every page, or the Edit Profile button on right above your name on your profile.
You will be sent to "Basic" tab with information about you. If you so wish, input the data. We'll talk about avatar in next point in this chapter.

For the important settings, choose the "Privacy" tab on the top.
You will see eight drop-down lists with settings. In majority of them (seven out of eight) the options are "Any one", "Friends only" and "No one".

"Allow private message from:" Set who can set private message to you. GS's and users of barter boards are HIGHLY adviced of setting this to "Any one".

"Allow profile comment from:" Set who can comment on your profile. I advice GS's to set this to "Any one".

"Receive email from Aeria Games (newsletter, beta invites, etc):" Yes or no list. Pure preference.

"See your name and location info:" Pure preference. If you don't mind people from knowing your real name (if you did not input it, it will not be disclosed, obviously) and the location information you did input.

"See your birth date:" Pure preference. If you plan on sharing with the forum when your birthday comes though, there is no reason why not set this to allow anyone to see it.

"See about:" Controls the "Blurp About Me" visibility. If you have critical information in it (which you shouldn't in the first place), then set it to "Friends Only". If you set it to "No one" instead simply don't add it at all.

"See your contact info:" If you did add information about different contact methods, like YIM, this controls who they will be visible to. Unless it's a box in which you don't mind spam, it's highly adviced to use the "Friends only" option.

"See your friend list:" Pure preference.

You can also change the e-mail to which the account is attached. To do so, open the "account" tab.
You will see there grayed out (can't be edited) account name, e-mail (with "change" button on right) and password (with "change" button on right). After clicking on the "change" buttons you will be able to input a new password or e-mail (within few security steps).

3) Personalisation:
As mentioned, most of the profile boxes can be moved around. But there are more options. Open the settings, as previously.

At the bottom of the first tab, there is option to change avatar. The avatar is image (up to 200X200 and 60kb in size) uploaded directly from your hard drive, that will represent you on each post. Only the current avatar is used on every single post ever made by you.

On the "about" tab, you can add information about you "Blurp about me", which should be text only (or text mostly).

You can add various embed playlists, movies or other media (for example, from YouTube) in the "flash/media" box. Please refrain from adding background music that cannot be turned off without closing the profile or somehow blocking it.

You can also add here your signature. You need a direct link to the image (max 700X200 and 120kb in size) and need to input it within [img][/img] tags, which will be automatically converted. You can also add text (which also counts towards the limit of 700X200).
For positioning of the images/text you can use [center][/center], [right][/right] and [left][/left] tags not usable in normal posts.
Signature cannot have more than 255 characters. ALL tags, urls and text counts towards this limit.

Further personalisation may be done on "skin" tab. After opening it choose whether you want to use one of the themes given by Aeria, or custom, using your own image.

If you chose custom, input image url into the second box. This image will be the background of your signature. It's adviced to use images from image uploading sites (like photobucket) instead of directly from some gallery. Also, it's better for it to be uploaded on your profile, as then you have control over it being deleted or not.

"image tile:" There is pretty much no chance for the image to fit perfectly. If you choose to tile the image, the normally empty areas will be filled with the image as if it was set in multiple copies one next to the other.

"image horizontal position:" Choose whether the image should be centered or on the right or the left edge of page.

"image vertical position:" Choose Choose whether the image should be centered or on the top or the bottom edge of page.

"image scrolling:" Choose whether the image scrolls with the profile page or is fixed (aka. even when you scroll the page, it looks the same). The first is better for large images, allowing to see them whole. The latter is better for smaller images that take only small parts and are visible whole on the screen.

"color:" By clicking on this box, you will open a color choosing tool. All parts of the profile that are not covered by background image (if any) will be of the chosen color.  

Everything is in this Chapter about Profiles but one thing I cannot understand. Your friends list. I know it isnt a big deal but i've never known, Is it interly random? Or what? Just soething i've never known x_x

Btw Amazing Guilde 5/5

kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedJul 08, 2009 12:43 pm
Dota999 wrote:
Everything is in this Chapter about Profiles but one thing I cannot understand. Your friends list. I know it isnt a big deal but i've never known, Is it interly random? Or what? Just soething i've never known x_x  
Yes. It seems to be absolutely random, if you mean the friends it shows in that box. I couldn't find anything by what it could go.
I don't know how it sorts friends in the whole list though. I guess by member #, but...

By the way, as I said in the guide itself, please refrain from such humongous quotes. In this case removing the whole quote but name of chapter is more than enough.

FrenchToasty

Rank 4
FrenchToasty
PostedSep 30, 2009 12:47 am
Since this is stickied, I assume there's no harm in posting even though it's been a while since the last post... plus I can't quite decide where else my question would belong.

First, this is an amazing guide, I wish more people noticed it. Too bad I only found it today after being a member here for about a year now. Thanks for making it, very useful! Very Happy

One curiousity I have though, and the larger purpose of my post, is about BBCode. I don't have much experience with it, but I'm learning more as I go. In the interest of making more interesting, easier to read posts, I'd like to know if there is a list of the code that's usable on Aeria's forums.

This guide mentions a number of tags, but I'd like to know what others are available. Things like strikethrough, center (which doesn't work inside posts here to my knowledge), spoiler (hidden text), adding something like flash video, or even various emotes (Twisted Evil).

Is there a more extensive list somewhere that anyone could link for me? I've searched through these forums somewhat, as well as on the web, and while finding useful info, cannot seem to find a more 'comprehensive' list, just bits and pieces here and there.

I'm also curious to know if most BBCode works on these forums, or if some tags are not accepted by the system for whatever reason (such as center). BBCode, and what of it is usable here at Aeria, is something I'd like to know more about! Thanks in advance for reading, and for any replies.

Or if anyone can direct me to a better place to ask this, just say so. Wink

kikix12

Rank 5
kikix12
PostedOct 04, 2009 4:20 am
FrenchToasty wrote:
Is there a more extensive list somewhere that anyone could link for me? I've searched through these forums somewhat, as well as on the web, and while finding useful info, cannot seem to find a more 'comprehensive' list, just bits and pieces here and there.  
To my knowledge, this is the complete list of BBCode available in posts. I may be wrong, but I tried multiple others and neither of them can be used.

I don't use emoticons so I have no idea what codes for them are available. They are material "for fun" as well, so they aren't really within the scope of this guide, kinda, either.

There was a faq on BBCodes (most of which didn't ever work in posts, but they did in blog), but it seems it...disappeared.

Unfortunately, it seems that the forum supervisors prefer to toy with the forums look rather than add new BBCodes...

Sorry for the late answer...but I'm pretty much out, keh, so I look here only randomly.

xybolt

Rank 5.2
xybolt
PostedOct 04, 2009 5:44 am
hi wb kikix Laughing

well for a while Razz

signature of xybolt

FrenchToasty

Rank 4
FrenchToasty
PostedOct 04, 2009 7:24 am
@kikix12 - That's disappointing. Sad ...yet unsurprising. xD

I guess I'll just have to make do with what we have then.

Thanks for the reply, and, again, great guide! Very Happy