LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedApr 22, 2009 3:38 pm
"Are you sure about this? I mean, this could end badly..."

"I want to find out the truth. How can we fight along something we don't understand?" The pagan pushed her hair back out of her face. She had a determined look on her face.

"Yes, I understand, but still..." The nervous hunter began.

"But still, what?"

The hunter looked down in thought. After a few seconds, he looked back up at the pagan. "Look... it's a mysterious force that appeared suddenly, and we were told to work with them. What does that indicate to you? To me, it says: someone high up is behind this. Only someone with some serious political... and possibly other forms of power... could conjure up something like this. Are we prepared to question that person's decision? Demand to know what they know? You know it would look like treason. Are you really prepared to take that risk?"

The pagan was silent.

"This could be bigger than we can imagine. We might... well, I don't even want to think of it. Are you really prepared?"

Silence.

"Well? You have to make a decision! Are you?"

She was still silent. The group of vail and nordein became restless. What had started as a discussion of concerns was turning into a frightening proposition. What the pagan wanted to do was not, to say the least, very self-preserving given the Union's political structure. Demanding to understand orders was tantamount to treachery. Nevertheless...

She had been right. She had echoed what they were all thinking, and had not been afraid to say it. If anyone could lead them in this endeavor, she could.

They awaited her answer.

The hunter asked one more time. "Are you really going to do this, Athena?"

After a moment, when the tension was almost palpably about to snap, she looked up.

"Yes. Let's go."

"Focus."

Trogdor focused. This was harder than he thought it would be. And he had not imagined it would be easy.

"Use the energy within you. Just like I taught you."

Trogdor put all his concentration into controlling his energy. Volke had instructed him how to manipulate the mystic energy that flowed through all elves' beings. It was the key to tapping into great power.

"You can do this, Trog."

Trogdor prepared himself...

"Now!"

He let loose.

He felt normal.

Disappointment flowed over him like a tidal wave. Nothing felt different, nothing looked different. He looked at his master, ready for rebuke. Volke was grinning.

"There you go!"

"What?" Trogdor said, baffled.

"You did it! You really did it! Well done!"

Trogdor inspected his own hand closely. It was still visible.

"But... I can see myself."

"Well, yeah, that's how it works. You're the same to yourself. But all I see is the green hill behind you. You're in stealth, my friend."

Trogdor still could not believe what he was hearing. "Are... are you sure?"

Volke laughed. "If you want, you could move somewhere and I could try to throw a knife into you."

Trogdor, remembering how fast he had seen Volke's steel fly through the air, declined.

Volke, still jovial, inquired "Do you think you can pop out now? Just do what I told you before. You know."

Trogdor did know. When he had learned to use sprinter, he had got the hang of moving the energy in the right way and pulling it back in to release the spell. "It should be similar with this," he thought...

Trogdor appeared. Volke, with a slightly more serious look on his face, extended a hand. "Congratulations. You've learned that useful skill faster than any pupil I've ever had." Trogdor clasped the offered hand. Trogdor looked in Volke's eyes and saw, to his surprise, but also his satisfaction, a look of respect. The feeling was mutual.

"Well done. Up next, I hope you like feathers."

Trogdor laughed. "Transformation?"

"Yup. And just so you know, stealth doesn't make you feel funny, but this will. Just a bit of warning."

Trogdor took his advice seriously. He recalled how he had almost lost control of sprinter and barely avoided denting Keolloseu's south wall. He considered how it would feel to be a chicken...

The group, about 20 in number, appeared through the portal. Athena was already heading for the town hall. The guards, seeing a group of fully-armed determined-looking borderland soldiers coming straight toward them, grew increasingly curious. A few became nervous. One was sent for the captain. The captain, a towering hulk for even a nordein and having a scar down the whole side of his face, emerged from the main entrance just as the group arrived.

"And what would you be wanting?" he inquired in his commanding bass voice. Athena looked him in the eyes and said "We want to speak to the council."

There was a pause. The captain held her gaze, already impressed she had made eye contact. He was not known as a nordein you treated lightly and remained unscathed afterward. He considered for a moment, and then nodded.

"Very well. Proceed."

Athena nodded thanks and moved past. The others followed. One of the newer guards thought he saw the corner of the captain's mouth twitch upward slightly in what could almost be called a smile. He immediately decided it was best to disbelieve his eyes, and resumed his duties.

The engraved iron doors swung open into the council chamber...

Advertisement

AthenaMarie

Rank 3
AthenaMarie
PostedApr 23, 2009 10:57 am
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I love it. Love it, love it, love it!!!!!!!!

Pandaemoniumx

Rank 3
Pandaemoniumx
PostedApr 23, 2009 3:22 pm
o.o You put Athena in it!

btw...

Athena... that sig it a complete turn on for me.... Karma'd!

*as an old man*
"Your e-smex appeal skills are improving my young apprentice..."

Anyways...
You put an Athena in it... cool.

Panda

AthenaMarie

Rank 3
AthenaMarie
PostedApr 24, 2009 7:49 am
Very Happy Why thank you Panda....I'm working on my 'e-seks appeal' Very Happy
<333

Deville05

Rank 0
Deville05
PostedApr 26, 2009 4:12 pm
wait... he fell when a fox attacked him? How does that work?
Well, I like the story ^.^ nice job.

Luxai

Rank 5.1
Luxai
PostedMay 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Heh, it's usually lites swarming furys... But I was hooked all along, the story really came to life. You MUST keep working on this, possibly youwill write Shaiyas story one day... From start to finish, you already got the main characters there after all. And it was a mark of a geniues to let the story include fury and their side of it too, bringing the tale an athmosphere of life that makes you imagine it all very well. This is the best I have read in quite a while.

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedMay 17, 2009 8:54 pm
"I'm sure you must realize this is most unusual."

The council speaker looked down sternly from his podium. Athena met his gaze head on.

"I believe it is generally accepted that soldiers do not question their orders."

"And I believe orders generally aren't so strange!" Athena snapped back. She was getting frustrated with his obstinacy. Their gazes locked in a duel beyond any clash of steel. One of the council members broke the silence.

"The speaker brings up a valid point. Obedience to authority is of utmost importance in this war. However. Recent events have been... different from normal. Wanting to know the truth is understandable."

The tension eased. Athena addressed the councilman.

"So, will you tell us what's going on?"

"It is my personal opinion that you ought to know. In fact... it is my personal opinion that I ought to know as well."

Athena's eyes widened. There was murmuring amongst her group.

"You mean... you don't know either?"

"Not everything is given to city councils, even ones directly involved with the war front. We're like you soldiers in that regard. We just pass on orders from higher up. We don't question the reasons behind them."

"Then we're on the same side here!" Athena replied. "You want to know as well! Can't you just ask? After all, we did."

The council whispered amongst itself. The one who had been speaking said "We will deliberate on the matter. We will inform you of our decision once it has been made."

Athena and her group were dismissed. As they exited the council chamber, the guards shut the great oak doors behind them. She paced the antechamber, awaiting news of the council's decision...

"Get the picture in your mind. Focus on the image, and make it your own."

Trogdor had little trouble calling up the image. It was burned into his mind forever. He concentrated all of his energy, as he had done so many times before...

And released.

"Once again, well done."

Trogdor looked at his skin. It was tinted blue. His hair was black. Even his armor was different. He was, in fact, a Vail assassin.

"And now you know Disguise. Of course, the appearance isn't everything. You have to act and talk like a Vail if you want to fool anyone. I can't really teach you that. It's up to you."

Trogdor was half-listening. He was focused on the rider approaching from the direction of Keolloseu. As the horseman drew closer, Trogdor could see his shining armor and gilt swords. He was a fighter, an experienced one, and evidently of high rank. His mount slowed up as he approached, and he stopped a few yards away.

"Volke and Trogdor?"

They both nodded.

"You have been summoned to Apulune."

"What for?" Volke asked, bewildered.

"The Great Council of the Alliance wishes to present some kind of information to Trogdor. I do not know why you have also been summoned, Volke, but you are to accompany him."

"Very well."

"I will ride ahead to inform the gatekeeper of your coming."

Volke and Trogdor looked at each other, and smiled. Blue haze rose from their boots.

"No need."

They set out, racing at full speed toward whatever awaited them...

GreenieEm

Rank 3
GreenieEm
PostedMay 17, 2009 10:44 pm
moremoremoremore :]

Homg Led, I had no idea you were writing this..it's fantastic!

Can't wait for more :]

¤ ¤ .LadySin. -- Etain ¤ ¤ Time to move on ¤

Appaloosa

Rank 0
Appaloosa
PostedMay 18, 2009 12:43 pm
O
M
G

What else can I say?

This story is engaging, highly interesting, and is written in a beutiful prose that I find amazing.
Not much more I can say, heh.

10/10

Pandaemoniumx

Rank 3
Pandaemoniumx
PostedMay 18, 2009 2:11 pm
Blue haze from the boots?

Sprinter or Trogdor just farted and it couldn't get out so it had to ride down his pants o.o;

I say the second one o.o;