LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 21, 2009 9:35 pm   Last edited by LedZepMan92 on Jan 22, 2010 4:50 pm. Edited 2 times in total
"Trogdor?" Realization crossed his face. "It's... you! It's really you!"

"I could say the same to you!" Trogdor replied, standing up. "It's been so long... I didn't even know if you were alive."

They embraced.

"I never would have thought we would meet each other on the field of battle," Trogdor's father said, stepping back to look at him again. "I saw you slay that assassin, but I didn't recognize you. That was well done, by the way."

"Thank you. And thank you for saving me."

"If I'd known it was you, that warrior would have had twice the arrows in his chest."

Trogdor smiled.

"So," his father continued, "Your first real battle. And you survived. Not a high percentage of new fighters do that, much less kill an experienced assassin. A most auspicious beginning, son."

Trogdor was elated at his father's praise. Not only did it mean a lot coming from him, but Trogdor had thought that, after killing only one Fury fighter, and then being powerless before the Nordein warrior, he hadn't done too well. The thought came to Trogdor that perhaps, in this cruel and bloody war, survival was a rarity and to be cherished above all else.

Later, when the Alliance forces had regrouped and cleared away the aftermath, the elf captain approached Trogdor and his father.

"Ah, Richard, good to see we're both in one piece. And you, Trogdor, was it? Good to see you still breathing as well."

"Same to you," Richard said. "And you won't believe this, but Trogdor here is actually my son!"

"Really? Then I can see how you lived through this, if you have any of your father's spirit in you. He has survived the most disastrous of battles and never failed to bring down several Fury warriors in every clash."

"Hah, you flatter me. Back to business, though. Are we going through with the assault on the relic?"

"Yes. Get your division ready to move out. The Fury probably expected to annihilate us with their ambush. They won't be ready for a full-on assault on the altar. Trogdor, I hate to break up your reunion, but you need to come with me. A division has to stay together."

"I understand," Trogdor replied. He turned to his father. "Farewell, until next we meet."

"Farewell, son. Do me a favor and stay alive, alright?"

The Alliance moved out.

The sun sparkled off the armor of the ranks of fighters and defenders. Trogdor's elven division followed behind, in front of the mages and priests. Ricard's force made up the rearguard. They marched through the dust. The clouds parted, shining more sunlight on the army. It was if the goddess herself walked with them, giving them her blessing.

The altar came into view. The Fury force was arrayed in front of it. Upon seeing the Alliance, the Nordein front lines let out a terrifying battle roar. The Vail joined in from behind, shouting curses in ancient languages. The Alliance remained silent, marching onward toward their foe. The commander raised his hand. The company halted.

Vultures descended upon the cliff to watch the preparing of their feast.

Trogdor began to sweat. A glistening bead rolled down his face and dripped off his chin. He watched it fall.

It almost audibly hit the ground. Then, the armies charged.

Spells and arrows flew overhead as the front lines closed. The warriors swung their axes. The fighters hacked with their swords. Guardians and defenders smashed in helmets with their clubs and maces. A group of assassins broke out to the Alliance's right.

"Intercept them!" The elf captain's clear voice rang above the din of battle. Trogdor and the other elves broke out to face the Vail. The assassins contorted themselves trying to dodge arrows. Many fell. The rangers and assassins clashed. Throats were slashed, gashes were opened, organs were punctured. As soon as a fighter felled a foe, another killed him from nearby.

Steel flashed in Trogdor's eyes. He sidestepped and lashed out with his dagger. The Vail fell, bleeding. Another assassin attacked. Trogdor caught the foot aimed at his chest, and drew his blade across the Vail's calf. He screamed in pain. Trogdor took advantage of the opportunity, and stabbed him in the throat. Trogdor didn't see the next one coming, and was tackled to the ground. Fighting instinct took over. He brought his knees up as he fell, and kicked the Vail off. Trogdor sprang to his feet, and kicked the assassin in the head before he could do the same. There was a crack, and the Vail's broken neck drooped uselessly.

The impact in his spine took Trogdor's breath away. He fell on his face. He felt the weight of the assassin stooping for the final blow...

Advertisement

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 28, 2009 4:15 pm   Last edited by LedZepMan92 on Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Trogdor looked up, saw fire, and looked down again. He felt the weight on his back abruptly disappear. He got to his feet.

The mage, the same one he had saved before, nodded to him.

Trogdor nodded back in thanks and turned to rejoin the fight. He realized there wasn't much of a fight to rejoin, as the assassins were retreating. The rangers were running the wounded down and the archers were dropping the rest. The Union of Fury's ploy had failed.

Trogdor looked back at the main fight. He was pleased to see the Nordein ranks were giving ground. The human fighters and defenders were steadily hacking their way through the huge bodies of the warriors and guardians. The Pagans could not get clear shots at the Alliance in the fray, and began to become confused. They started shifting out of position to get better angles. This left them exposed from the protection of the front lines.

"Flank and destroy!" The elf captain's voice rang out again. Trogdor took off with the other elves. The swift rangers circled the melee and, before the Vails knew what was happening, crashed into the pagans and oracles.

It was slaughter. Trogdor couldn't swing his blade without striking a Vail. Blood stained the dirt. The Nordein saw that they were being surrounded and tried to retreat.

The archers hardly had to aim.

"To the altar!" the commander's hoarse voice boomed. With a great cry, the Alliance forces set upon the relic, prying ancient stones loose with their steel. Magic bolts crashed into the towering altar, blasting bits of stone loose. It was not long before the entire structure collapsed, and victory was complete.

The Alliance cheered. It was over. They had won. Some were on their knees, thanking the goddess. Trogdor turned to see his father beaming at him. He stepped forward...

There was a flash. Trogdor had to look away. When he looked back, three dozen assassins were behind the archers. One was behind Trogdor's father. The Vail grinned at Trogdor, and slit his father's throat.

It seemed an eternity as Richard fell to the ground. Trogdor ran to him. He held his father's head in his arms...

He was already gone.

The Vail started to laugh. "Yes, it hurts, doesn't it? Feel the pain. Does it not burn inside you like an unquenchable fire?"

He licked his bloody dagger. "Eventually, you will learn the power that comes from pain. Consider this a gift. And for it, you may thank--"

Trogdor released an unearthly yell, and sliced off his head.

He and the other Alliance set upon the grinning assassins. They laughed even as their heads fell to the ground. The were gleeful, as if they enjoyed death, no matter who experienced it.

When it was over, Trogdor returned to his father's corpse. He looked at Richard's noble face, still smiling faintly.

Trogdor wept.

The mage approached him silently. She laid a consolatory hand on his shoulder. He looked up through his blurred eyes at the corpse-strewn battlefield. He realized he was very tired from the fighting. He felt her hands catching him as he fell into darkness...

yadge

Rank 0
PostedJan 30, 2009 12:21 am
You're a good writer. I enjoyed reading what you've written so far. I hope you write more.

saxmis

Rank 0
PostedJan 30, 2009 4:48 am
I like this very much, couldn't stop reading so discriptive. Your are good.

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedFeb 04, 2009 3:42 pm   Last edited by LedZepMan92 on Jan 22, 2010 4:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Trogdor woke up.

He peered through blurry eyes to see the elf captain watching him. Trogdor sat up and looked around. He saw the bloodied beds and quickly looked away. He was in the medical tent. He heard the groaning of the wounded as the priests roused them and wove their healing spells. The captain approached him.

"Good, you've finally awoken. I was worried we'd lost two great warriors."

Grief coursed through Trogdor's mind as he recalled what had just happened. He closed his eyes, unable to look at the captain. After a pause, he recovered himself and remade eye contact.

"The loss of Richard hurts us all, but I can only imagine how you feel. I'm sorry. Such is the way of war. He was a brilliant fighter and leader. And a good friend. But if we stay lost in sorrow for the dead, we will never be able to win the war and cease the bloodshed that has grieved us so."

The elf looked away for a moment, then turned back to Trogdor.

"Do you think you are capable of taking your father's place? In the fray, I saw you display the talent for warfare that he showed time and time again. You are the only one I would trust to replace what he meant to the Alliance forces. Do you think you have recovered enough to take this role?"

Trogdor's mind raced, flashing thousands of thoughts a second. At first he wanted to say no, his father was dead! He could no longer fight! And even if he could, how could he lead Alliance forces? He was still a new recruit, having only fought in two battles! He had almost died in both. What could he possibly do to help anyone?

He saw the Vail's laughing face as he killed Trogdor's father. He saw the other assassins laughing in death, their faces locked in perpetual grins. He recalled how they had come out of nowhere using some arcane art. They couldn't be normal... they couldn't be like him, simple recruited soldiers...

Someone had gathered them. Someone had trained them. And someone... had sent them.

Trogdor looked at the captain and said, "I will avenge my father."

As Trogdor and his former captain strode toward the commander's tent, someone watched. He saw Trogdor disappear underneath the tent's flap, and considered.

Then, in the shadows, he grinned...

Pandaemoniumx

Rank 3
Pandaemoniumx
PostedFeb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Very good! But if you want the story to really be epic, you have to keep changing scenes, else it'll be like this:

Story, Story, pvp, pvp, pvp, pvp, pvp, pvp, pvp, pvp, pvp, Story, pvp, Story, pvp some more?

Still, good job at the story, but try to make longer posts Smile

saxmis

Rank 0
PostedFeb 04, 2009 8:17 pm
You've got me hooked, can't wait for more. I can picture everything you write, I think you are gifted. Nice job.

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedFeb 04, 2009 10:09 pm
My last post was a little short, I know. I almost ran into a block, and I didn't want to stretch myself too far. I have the general idea of how I want the story to go, but filling in the details is the hard part.
Also, thanks for the compliments, people! I really appreciate the feedback. Encourages me a lot.

Appaloosa807

Rank 0
Appaloosa807
The voice in your head-ville United Kingdom
PostedFeb 05, 2009 2:53 pm
MOREEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im hooked XD

Bwohohoho! 61 Cleric lfp~~

aymiah

Rank 3
aymiah
PostedFeb 08, 2009 2:01 pm
Yes, we assassins love to grin ;D Most often manically...

I like it, though. Keep going Surprised