LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 17, 2009 3:01 pm   Last edited by LedZepMan92 on Jan 22, 2010 4:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total

The Tale of a Ranger.

An elf begins his journey in the world of Shaiya.
I've seen some pretty good stories in here, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Here goes...

There it was. Aelbeageu. The town where his training ended and the real adventure began. Trogdor had been waiting for this moment ever since he enlisted. And now that it had arrived... he had no idea what to do.

He stood silent for about a minute, awkwardly fidgeting with the dagger in his hand. He was suddenly aware of the guard staring at him. The guard had a smirk on his face, as if he'd seen this situation too many times to count. Finally the silence was broken when the guard shouted "Hey, you! With the dumb look on your face! Get over here!" Trogdor, though a little taken aback, was glad to have the awkwardness end, and hurried over.

The guard continued: "You're obviously new here. You're armed, so you must have just arrived from basic training. So, instead of standing here like a Brilliant Sealakel, you should make yourself useful." The guard inclined his head toward the field behind Trogdor.
"Over there you'll find some annoying monkeys. They've been stealing stuff, breaking stuff, and being generally rude. Go kill five of them, and I'll give ya something, 'cause I'm a nice guy like that." Trogdor nodded and headed to the field, determined to make his beginning an auspicious one. He approached the crowd of chattering monkeys. One spied him and scurried over. Trogdor tensed and brandished his dagger. The monkey stared at the blade a while, then tilted its head and looked right in Trogdor's eyes.

Trogdor thought: "This little guy's been such a nuisance? He's just curious. He's obviously just interested in the shininess of my dagger. There's no need to kill these simple..."

As the surprisingly sharp claws raked through Trogdor's face, he recalled his training. He had taken blows in sparring and exercises, but those hadn't been real. No one really wanted to hurt him. As he felt the warm blood trickle down his face, he knew that this was different. This was real.

Trogdor saw the claws reaching for his face again. He jerked out of the way, connected his right foot with the monkey's chin, took a step forward, and plunged his dagger into its neck.

"Great. Now I just have to do that 4 more times."

Trogdor approached another monkey. This time, he used the monkey's mischievous nature to his advantage. He pulled out a gold coin from his pocket, waved it so it glinted in the sunlight, and tossed it a foot in front of him. The monkey couldn't resist.

Trogdor dispatched the next three monkeys using the same technique, and returned to the guard, who had a grin on his face.

"So, you learned what it's like to take a real hit, eh? I have to give it to you though, that was pretty smart with the coin thing. Not everything's gonna fall for that though. Speaking of which, here's your reward."

Trogdor gratefully took the bag of coins. He turned to leave, but the guard poked him in the back with the butt of his halberd.

"Not so fast, Great Hero of Etain. You did well, but those monkeys are a piece of cake. You need to know how to kill more dangerous foes. Can't let you run off and get decapitated by some pissed orc, can I? Now, just behind those monkeys, there's a bunch of ticked off foxes. Kill five of those, and you'll get another gift from me, with some advice to boot."

Trogdor found the foxes just where the guard had said they'd be. He considered his next move. "I doubt I'm going to be able to use the same trick I used before, so that's not an option. I don't want to run in blindly and get myself killed either. If I can figure out how the foxes behave..."

The fox behind him didn't wait for his decision. Trogdor felt the claws sink into his shoulders as he fell toward the ground...

Advertisement

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 17, 2009 8:30 pm
Trogdor stood up, and the fox's limp body fell to the ground. The smell of scorched fur filled his nostrils as he gathered his senses.

"You alright?" said a voice.

Trogdor turned to see a tall, stately looking elf in flowing golden robes, holding an elegant staff.

"Yes, thanks to you, sir mage."

The mage nodded. A fox growled. The mage raised his hand, and a bolt of lightning crashed into the fox's frame. The mage strode over, knelt on the slightly burnt grass, and pulled something out of the fox's teeth. Trogdor blinked as the sunlight glinted off of the object the mage held. The mage turned and extended his hand.

"Gold Abel."

"Why is a powerful spellcaster like you seeking items scavenged by foxes?" Trogdor replied.

The mage chuckled. "It's quite annoying, really. See, this rather arbitrary fellow wants 90 of them in exchange for a powerful item. And this is the only place to get them."

The mage stowed the Abel in his satchel. "59 of them. Well, I better keep at it. Take care of yourself, ranger."

Trogdor raised his hand in farewell, then turned to the field of foxes. He could hear the booms and crackles of magic behind him. He headed toward the foxes with renewed determination. A fox faced him and bared its teeth. Trogdor remained motionless. The fox took slow steps toward him. Trogdor slowly reversed his dagger so it pointed up out of his fist. The fox pounced.

Trogdor thrust his arm upward while leaning back to avoid the fox's jaws. The fox fell limp around the blade, and Trogdor caught the body with his other hand. He lowered it to the ground, just in time to see another fox flying through the air. He rolled to the left, slicing his dagger through the fox's jugular. He spied the next fox, which hesitated at the sight of the lifeless bodies. It was all he needed, and he smashed its nose in with the heel of his boot. He drew his blade across its throat, ending its pain. The fifth fox didn't stand a chance.

As the guard handed Trogdor his coins, he let out a laugh.

"That was pretty impressive, ranger! No offense, but when the mage had to save your arse, and then you got mobbed, I thought you were toast. But you got out, and everything was dead! You sure are entertaining, I gotta say."

Trogdor smiled, satisfied with his accomplishments. He had, for one, not died, and had impressed the guard, who had doubtless seen hundreds of new warriors try to prove themselves.

"Well," the guard said, "as promised, here's my advice. Go on into the town proper. There will be some people who need help, want you to do stuff. My little quests were just to test you. This will be the real deal, so prepare for tougher enemies. But also be ready for better rewards. You might even score some new weapons and armor. People tend to have tons of useful crap lying around just waiting to given to aspiring young elves like yourself. Well, be off with ya, I've got nothing more to do with ya, unless you want to small talk, and believe me, my small talk will make you want to cover your pointy ears. Us guards are quite eloquent in the realm of profanity."

Trogdor laughed, waved goodbye, and headed to the gate. He didn't really know how it was supposed to go, but he had the feeling that, as far as beginnings go, this wasn't bad.

Not bad at all.

Pandaemoniumx

Rank 3
Pandaemoniumx
PostedJan 17, 2009 9:27 pm
I think that this is one of the few times if not the first time that this has been done. I like how you're doig the quest-type thing, and I supposed you just need to keep playing to continue the story. If the story continues though, based on quests, it'll be pretty plain, but you can always go for the main ones e.i. Asmo, Bacaras & Company, ect. Your writing isn't bad and you have a nice range of vocabulary and good at sensory images and visualization. I hope to see you again on these forums, as the stories are increasing every tale that gets added on to it.

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 17, 2009 9:34 pm
Thanks! ^^ Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna go through every single quest, lol. But I want to sort of integrate the way the game really plays into the story. I think I'm gonna take it up to 1-15 and maybe Cornwell's... I gotta think of what comes next right now though, lol.

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 17, 2009 10:32 pm   Last edited by LedZepMan92 on Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Trogdor walked through the gate, and could hardly believe his eyes. It was beautiful. The sunlight glistened off the pool, and the fountain dispersed the light to create rainbows splayed out on the ground. The next thing he noticed was the circular platform, upon which merchants were doing business. He noticed one stall seemed to be less active then the others. He walked up the ramp out of curiosity.

"Sorry, I'm out, and I can't make any more, as I explained. I'm sorry, come back again sometime, and maybe my problem will be solved."

The woman's voice cracked from distress and use. Trogdor could see she her face was tensed and worn, as if she was crying but had no tears left. He approached her, and asked "Are you having some kind of trouble?"

"Gosh, no, you think? People have been trying to buy leather armor from me all day, and I've explained why a thousand times, and they keep coming, and I keep explaining, and I can't make any sales, and I need the money... So yeah, I'm having some trouble!"

She looked angrily into Trogdor's eyes, then buried her face in her hands. After a moment, she regained her composure some.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take it all out on you. Heck, you were just trying to be nice."

She continued: "A few days ago, a bunch of stupid monkeys climbed the walls and started wreaking havoc. The guards came in quickly, but there were so many of them! All of my stock and materials were stolen or destroyed. The monkeys were punished, of course, but I can't get my stuff back. And my supplier died of food poisoning... so I can't get the wild boar leather I need... I'm done. I'm finished."

Trogdor thought back on the words of the guard. He made a decision.

"Maybe I can get some leather for you?"

The woman looked up.

"Really? You'd do that? If you could do that... I could make enough stock, sell it... and get a new contract with another supplier... why didn't I think of it before? Ok, here's what you need to do. Go out the gate and head east. You should find some boars and wolves. Don't worry, they're pretty stupid, they won't attack you until you attack them. Just kill and skin 5 boars, and that will be enough. And when you come back..."

She leaned forward and said in a low voice "I didn't actually lose all my stock. I have one piece of armor left that I didn't want to get rid of. But it's yours if you help me."

Trogdor nodded, and ran as fast as he could down the ramp.

The boars grazed, snorting occasionally. Trogdor crept up behind one. It lazily turned around and looked at him. He froze, dagger ready, remembering his experience with the foxes and monkeys. But the boar just kept chewing and staring at him dumbly.

Trogdor thought, "Heh. This will be easy. Still, I've got to do this quickly and cleanly. I don't need a tusk embedded in my kidney."

The boar turned away, exposing its neck. Trogdor looked carefully for the big vein, then quickly plunged his blade into the flesh. The boar sqealed and thrashed, but Trogdor had already removed his dagger and jumped away. The boar slowed down, then stopped completely and keeled over. Trogdor went to work cutting the skin away. It was a good thing his father had been a hunter, and had been able to teach Trogdor a few skills before being drafted to fight the Union of Fury. Trogdor got the last of the leather off, and surveyed his handiwork. All in all, he had kept the hide pretty much in one piece. He draped it over his shoulders and got to killing the rest of the boars.

When he returned to the shopkeeper, she could hardly contain her joy.

"You did it! You really did it! Thank you so much!"

She snatched the leather out of his hands and inspected it.

"Oh, this is perfect! And don't worry, I haven't forgotten my promise," at Trogdor's expectant expression. She drew a well-made leather chest-piece from under a counter.

"Here you are, and thanks again!" Trogdor accepted the armor, said farewell, and ambled down the ramp, admiring the piece. He tried it on just outside the walls. It fit perfectly, and he had his full range of motion. It was just the thing for an aspiring ranger. He had a feeling he'd need it, as he saw a guard who was obviously an officer walking toward him with an intent look on his face...

_badbarbie_

Rank 0
PostedJan 18, 2009 12:07 am
yay more :] good reading^^

Tenaria

Rank 0
Tenaria
PostedJan 18, 2009 6:37 am
you are a very good writer, you could write a book but it's very difficult to find a good editor.
your descriptions are well enough to trasport the reader into the world of shaiya.
But you need more action in your tale don't stay only to the quest because this will make soon the story boring,i would like to see Trogdor in 1-15 PvP fighting some Furies or in Cloron's Lair.
You can also describe a fight between two guilds.
Keep writting i can't wait for the next part of your story.

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 18, 2009 1:09 pm
"I've got a job for you, ranger."

The guard wore shining plated steel, and an important-looking emblem was etched on the breastplate.

He continued: "I heard from one of my guards that you seem to have potential. I want to see if that's true. There's a group of sealakels to the west. We used to have an understanding with them, but something stirred them up, and they seized the island outpost. We can't spare enough guards to take them out. That's where you come in. You need to kill as many of them as you can and get out alive."

The guard nodded at Trogdor's dagger.

"That knife isn't bad, but you'll need a much better one if you're ever going to slay a Vail assassin. You come back with the blood of sealakels staining your blade, and I'll give new one to stain."

He pulled out a curved dagger. Its steel blade glistened, as if drooling with the thirst for blood. Trogdor couldn't keep his eyes from widening at the thought of wielding such a fierce weapon.

"You know a good dagger when you see one, I can tell. Good. Then you know how important this mission is to the both of us." The guard sheathed the dagger and waved Trogdor in the direction of the island.

As Trogdor approached the bridge leading to the island, he surveyed the overrun terrain. The sealakels were everywhere. They waved around their spears and spiked shells and screeched in their primitive language. They had been driven mad. Trogdor noticed several of the sealakels clustered in a corner of the island...

He ran full tilt across the bridge almost before he saw the magic lightning flash.

He saw her dodge a spear and call up a whirlwind to buffet the creature. She barely blocked a shell with her staff. Trogdor yelled to attract the sealakels' attention. Two of them turned, saw him, and leaped forward.

Memories flashed through Trogdor's mind. The oak staff whirred by his face, twirled back around and caught him full in the stomach. "You'll have to be faster than that, Trog!" his good-natured instructor said, helping him up.

This time, he was faster.

He whipped his head away from the jabbing spearhead and caught the other sealakel's swing with his blade. He leaped into the air and kicked it in the face, making it recoil. He landed, swung his foot around to connect with the back of the first sealakel's knee, and slashed his dagger upward. The sealakel fell backward, gurgling and clutching at its throat. The other sealakel attacked again, trying to run him through. Trogdor sidestepped and sliced off its hand, and while it howled in pain, he picked up the spear and thrust it through the sealakel's chest. The body collapsed just in time for Trogdor to see the shaft of a spear slam into the mage's side. She fell to one knee, almost totally losing her balance.

Trogdor didn't think. He acted.

Sealakel after sealakel fell to the ground. He slashed, he spun, he caught, he kicked. The sealakel who had felled the mage raised his spear for the final blow.

It paused for a moment. This was on account of the steel lodged between its vertebrae.

It fell forward and hit the ground with a thump.

The mage looked Trogdor over, noting the blood spattered on his chest and the fire in his eyes.

"You didn't really have to show off like that, did you?" she said.

There was a pause, then they burst out laughing. He helped her up. His smile changed to a look of concern when she clutched her side.

"Don't worry, the blade didn't get me. It'll just be a nasty bruise, nothing more."

"If you say so," Trogdor replied. "What were you doing here, anyway?"

"I heard the sealakels were being strangely aggressive, so I took it upon myself to investigate. And, well, you saw what became of it."

"Why are they so violent? Do you have any idea?"

She stopped. She looked as if considering something, then looked at him.

"Between you and me, I don't think this was random. I think someone or something has influenced them. My master, though she agrees with me, says I shouldn't bring it up unless there's real evidence. Otherwise, it could be much ado about nothing, and the high-ups won't like distractions from the war effort."

They crossed the bridge.

"Well, this is where we part ways. I'm heading off to Keolloseu. You've probably still got business here, right? Well, maybe I'll see you around. Goodbye."

She walked a few steps, then turned back around.

"Thanks for, you know, saving me and all that." They exchanged smiles, and she went on her way.

Trogdor returned to the guard captain, who nodded with a satisfied look on his face. "My scouts reported what you did. Apparently, you did a heck of a number on those sealakels. And you also saved someone else. You're just the kind we need in the borderlands."

He pulled out his dagger. "You earned this, and then some. Use it well." Trogdor gladly took the dagger in his hand. He slashed through the air experimentally. The wind whistled around the sharp blade.

"I need you to do something else for me." The guard pulled out a sealed letter. "Take this to the gatekeeper in Aelbeageu. Show her the seal, that will be enough for her to send you to Keolloseu. Once there, find the captain of the guards there. Give him the letter. He'll give you your next instructions."

Trogdor pocketed the letter. He looked up quickly. He thought he saw a distant shadow move in the waterfall beyond the island. "I must still be tense from fighting," he thought as he walked toward the town gates.

The shadow was motionless. It studied the young ranger with thoughtful eyes. Then, it vanished...

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 18, 2009 8:11 pm
"So... who's the gatekeeper?"

Trogdor's unspoken question was answered when a man gave the woman in the back of the town a few coins and vanished in a flash of light. He walked up and showed the seal to her. She studied it a second, then nodded and said "Right." She closed her eyes, waved a hand, and....

Trogdor suddenly became aware that he was staring at grass. He also noticed the guard's arm restraining him from falling completely on his face. Once Trogdor figured out that he still had legs, he regained his balance.

"First teleport, eh?" the smiling guard said. "Don't worry, they all do that the first time. You get used to it." Trogdor could only nod and force a smile. He took a few halting steps forward, shook his head a little, and gazed into the city.

The only word he could think of was "busy."

Everyone was going somewhere, yelling something, doing something. Shopkeepers arguing over prices with customers, warriors testing out swords, guards changing shifts, and patrolmen reporting in. The latter was what peaked Trogdor's interest. He spied the man the guards and scouts were reporting to. He must be the captain of the guard. Trogdor made his way through the crowd.

He had to wait for several men and elves to finish their reports before he could get the captain's attention. He handed him the letter. The captain gave him an inquisitive glance, then opened the seal.

The captain folded the letter back up. He showed no emotion, which to Trogdor, seemed like an emotion in itself. The captain pointed to his right and said "You're headed to the borderlands." Trogdor looked at what the captain was pointing at. The glowing portal loomed like a giant, watching eye.

"Take this letter, give it to the guard by the gate. It'll explain what you're doing there, and he'll assign you a role." Trogdor took the letter, and turned to go, but the captain caught his arm.

"I don't say this much, but you're going to be fighting the Union of Fury. You're being sent in more quickly than I've seen any new Alliance warrior. Be careful. The Union warriors will not hesitate. They will not give you any chances, so make sure you give them none. Or you will die. May the goddess be with you."

Trogdor nodded in thanks. The captain returned to his duties as if they had never spoken.

Trogdor paused in front of the portal. The magic substance swirled and made a low humming noise. Thoughts swirled likewise in his head. He was putting his life in danger. He could die. He didn't ask for this. He had been given no choice. He could run. He could hide. He didn't need to...

He stepped through.

He came through a little dizzy, but recovered much more quickly than the last time. The first thing he noticed was the darkness. The ground was barren. The clouds were dark. Whatever sunlight that could seep through was pale and harsh. It was nothing like the fields of Aelbeageu. He took it all in as he made his way to the gate. He wordlessly handed the letter to the guard there, still looking around. The guard read the letter.

"Right," he said tiredly. "You're a ranger, you did stuff, you could be Useful To The Alliance, blah blah blah." He stretched his neck and grunted. Trogdor wondered how long the guard had been stationed there.

"Ok, here's what you do. Go out the gate, and head to your right. Go down a slope into some water. Don't worry, it's just a stagnant shallow filthy pool, nothing to worry your pretty blond head about. There's a nice bit of dry land in there, where a relic party's being formed. Talk to their commander, and he'll be in charge of you." He spat something foul into the dirt. "Probably be dead in an hour anyway," he muttered. "Oh, and if you see some monsters around, just avoid them. They'll only kill ya if you're dumb enough to get close. Well, that's all you'll get from me. Try not to die too fast. Like I even care anymore."

Trogdor left, not bothering to make a farewell, as he doubted that the guard had a taste for pleasantries. He soon spotted the bustle of men and elves. He asked a human fighter for the commanding officer, and the man pointed at a large makeshift tent in the back of the cluster.

Trogdor lifted the cloth flap. The scarred, battle-hardened officers circled a barrel that was supporting a map. They looked at him.

"I'm supposed to report to the commander?" The human in the middle, with the huge sword strapped to his back, nodded.

"New recruit." It was a statement, not a question. "Name?"

"Trogdor."

"Occupation?"

"Ranger."

The commander turned to the elf archer next to him. "He's in your division." The elf nodded, then waved for Trogdor to exit. The elf came out behind him, and led him to a group of other archers and rangers.

"Boys, here's Trogdor. He's with us now. You know the drill." The soldiers acknowledged Trogdor, then returned to their various tasks. "Right, Trogdor, here's our job. We kill their pagans and oracles before our fighters get fried by magic. Our archers try to fit their arrows between the ranks of Death-eaters, and our rangers, like you, sneak around and attack from behind, slitting as many throats as possible and then bugging out. If you see warriors and guardians coming at you, you run. You won't last 3 seconds toe to toe with them. Soon, we're going to-"

The archer shoved Trogdor to the ground and leaped away just before the ground was scorched. "Ambush!" he yelled as he fitted an arrow to his string. The Nordein and Vail fighters charged down the hill.

The archers let loose. Warriors fell with arrows in their hearts. Fury spellcasters launched fireballs. Elves and men fell with smoke rising from their crisping flesh. A vail assassin flipped through the air, smashed an archer's bow with his foot, and, crossing his steel claws, decapitated the elf. A ranger swiped his dagger at the vail, but the assassin caught the blade with his claw and sent the blade spinning through the air. The other claw carved out the ranger's flesh around his stomach. The vail kicked another ranger in the crotch, and slashed his throat. The elf crumpled. The vail, seeking his next victim, locked his eyes on Trogdor. He charged.

The claws slashed through the air toward Trogdor's face...

LedZepMan92

Rank 5
LedZepMan92
PostedJan 19, 2009 6:35 pm
Trogdor ducked.

The assassin's double-swipe met with nothing but air. He brought his claws down in a fierce slash. Trogdor jumped back. The tip of the claw missed his chest by a hair's breadth. Trogdor slashed.

Steel bounced off steel as Trogdor's dagger connected and re-connected with the Vail's claws. The blades sang through the air in a flurry of violence. The assassin began to give ground. Trogdor redoubled his effort, determined to break the Vail's defenses. Suddenly, the Vail jumped back, and just as suddenly, leaped forward, launching his right claw at Trogdor's head. Trogdor jammed his dagger between the blades of the claw, holding it there. He saw the other claw sweeping up toward him...

He let go of his dagger with his right hand and grabbed the Vail's arm, re-grasping his dagger with his left hand. They stood there, both unable to move.

Trogdor let go with his right hand, pulled his other arm back, pivoted on his left foot, and kicked the assassin in the face.

The blow spun the Vail around, showing his back to Trogdor. The Vail quickly turned back around, claws raised--

Blood dripped off of Trogdor's fingers.

The Vail's eyes pointed down at the blade buried in his neck. His eyes rolled back into his head. Trogdor pulled out the dagger, and the assassin fell to the ground.

The Alliance warriors rushed past him. The broken Fury lines flew from the swords and spells cutting them down. Trogdor could see the commander hacking apart Nordein with his giant blade. The Elf in command of his division dropped Vail after Vail with his blindingly swift arrows. The Fury reached the top of the hill from whence they had come... and slid backwards down the slopes. Archers and rangers had flanked the Fury forces during the fight, and were now mowing them down. The ambush had failed.

The Alliance were victorious.

Trogdor fell to his knees. He felt sick. He had survived his first battle, but many hadn't. He gazed upon the corpses strewn across the ground...

One of them stood up.

The Nordein warrior had feigned death. He hefted his axe and strode toward Trogdor. Trogdor knew he had to fight, but his body wouldn't respond. The warrior drew closer. He raised his axe...

An arrow pierced his chest. The Nordein looked down, and another shaft appeared an inch away from the first. He fell backwards, and his armor crashed upon the ground.

Trogdor whipped his head around, expecting to see his division leader. But instead he saw...

"Father?"