Scyndrel

Rank 0
Scyndrel
PostedMar 17, 2014 6:32 am   Last edited by Scyndrel on Feb 06, 2015 4:50 am. Edited 7 times in total

[Guide] PvE Warbow/Grenadier

An in-depth guide to PvE Warbow/Grenadier
Hi! This is my guide for making a PvE-oriented Warbow with Grenadier subclass. Take note that this build is optimal for PvE, not PvP. I would use different setups especially equipments for PvP, but it will not be discussed in this guide. Keep in mind that this is just a guide and you do not have to strictly follow it.

Why Grenadier as a subclass for Warbow?
You may be asking, why Grenadier as a subclass for Warbow? In general, regardless of any main class you pick, you should pick a sub that compliments the main class (i.e. Gunslinger/Wizard, Instant Thunder -> Trap combo) or has skills that the main class does not have; Grenadier fits these two criteria nicely.

First off, the Grenadier's cannon gives CRIT, HP and DEF. These are all stats that a Warbow needs especially HP and DEF. Ranged classes are almost always squishy, and you can't deal damage if you're dead, so survivability is important. Grenadier subclass is a lot beefier than other subclasses with these stats as well as the Max HP+5% from the cannon. All of these synergize well with the envoy Speed of Life (Max HP is increased by 25% of SPD), which will be discussed later.

Second, the Grenadier's skillset works well with the Warbow's skillset. Cannon Salvo makes up for the Warbow's lack of stun and can deal additional DoT if upgraded with mastery, Icy Grenade is good when you don't have time to charge Frost Arrow for immobilize, Fiery Grenade also deals DoT and the Machine Gun Turret helps deal additional damage, not to mention it adds CRIT DMG+15% when upgraded with mastery.

Third, as a Warbow, you want to stay at a distance. Other subclasses' skills get you into melee range, which is really dangerous for bows. Crowd controls like stun can easily get you killed. Grenadier's skills help ensure that your enemy stays at a distance with stun and immobilize paired with DoTs and Machine Gun Turret. Couple these with slows from Frost Arrow and you are able to kite easily.

Status Build

Why SPD?
Warbows already have high DMG output even without putting any points, and CRIT really isn't needed as fully charged skills grant 20% more CRIT rate. SPD decreases your cooldowns and helps you charge your bow skills faster.

Your goal for offensive stats would be to get around 30-40% CRIT, 35-50% SPD depending on your preference. Some players would argue that 40%+ SPD is a must, but I think that 35% SPD is actually enough to deal decent damage, added with the fact that there are Eidolons like Kotonoha and other SPD party buffs in a PvE setting.

Why HP?
HP is the best survivability defense stat for PvE. Higher leveled monsters have insane bursts and DEF will not be as useful as HP at that point. One point in HP is also a lot better than one point in DEF because of how much %HP Warbow with Grenadier subclass gets. However, DEF is still good mostly against monsters with the same level as you are or if you're on a tight budget and can't fortify armors. EVA is not taken into consideration mostly because it is a PvP stat, but it also works wonders for PvE at times. I still think that classes like Duelist or Brawler gain more from EVA in a PvE setting though.

Equipment
Note: I will update these gears upon reaching level 60. Below is my equipment for Level 50+.

Weapons
Warbow
For PvE, I think that the orange level 50 crafted bow (Soul of the Glorious Hunter) is superior to the level 50 yellow bow (Courageous Bow of the Grass Kingdom) for the following reasons:

• You can place cores that fit your playstyle
  • The effect Damage against Bosses +10% is a lot better than increasing the DMG of just one skill by 25%
  • The second effect deals bonus damage as opposed to the yellow's SPD increase (As said above, there are a lot more ways to increase SPD)

For cores, Deadly is really good, but if you can't afford it (like me Sad), I've found Breaking (20% chance to knock enemy back for 5 meters) and Eagle (CRIT+2%) to be decent. Breaking especially, it's really good for kiting.

Grenadier
Blockhead's Nemesis Incinerator and Mageweave Cannon gives you all the stats you need. Both give you high DMG, CRIT, HP, DEF, more HP and an 8% chance to deal bonus damage. The only difference is that you can place cores in Mageweave Cannon and the skill effects differ (Machine Gun Turret skill level + 5 and Damage against bosses +10%). Personally, Blockhead's is already decent and a lot easier and cheaper to get. If you go the Mageweave cannon route though, you have an advantage of placing good cores like Deadly.

Trophies
For trophies, Toto's Cursed Tusks and Shard of Toto's Water Blade are good. Toto's Cursed Tusks can also have a core, preferably Imperial for more movement speed. Spidery, Bestial and Spiky are also good alternatives. Another trophy worth mentioning is Argus' Dragon Heart. You lose DMG, HP and CRIT but gain SPD, EVA and a 4% chance to increase CRIT by a moderate amount and increase CRIT DMG by 20%.

Accessories
For accessories, Comets set is the best overall. I've also tried Nazrudin's set which is decent as well because of the SPD set bonus it gives. However, Comets gives you additional HP, DMG and CRIT. Not to mention the CRIT and CRIT DMG set bonus.

Armor
For armor, Aria set or Requiem set are both good. Personally, I chose Aria as I'm already pretty beefy with Aria set, and the 3-4k HP difference between Aria and Requiem makes me lose a lot of DMG, around 3k-5k DMG. Although I won't elaborate on PvP in this guide, Requiem is still the way to go for duels and in arenas, or even better, get proper PvP gear.

For cores, Bestial/Spiky is the common choice but personally I prefer Imperial cores. Full Imperial set for armors gives 15% additional movement speed, which is amazing coupled with the two Fleet Footed envoys and the Warbow's Blessing of the Winds buff.

Secret Stones
For secret stones, I mostly chose Destroying (CRIT DMG+6%). Get Golden for Triple Shot and Hail of Arrows. Even with only 30% CRIT, fully charged shots (especially Dimensional Shots) have a really high chance to CRIT, and high CRIT DMG works well with high CRIT rate.

Here's a reference where to place your secret stones:

Bow - Triple Shot
Cannon - Cannon Salvo (Grenadier)

Head - Arrow of Light
Body - Hail of Arrows
Waist - Corrosive Shot
Gloves - Dimensional Shot
Boots - Icy Grenade (Grenadier)

Envoy Path

I prioritized going left to Ranger Mastery, down to Attack Swiftness 3, and getting Overdraw and Speed of Life as fast as possible. Overdraw is a really good skill which gives you ACC+3% and DMG+3% every time you fully charge a shot. This stacks 5 times and lasts 15 seconds. Speed of Life as stated before, synergizes really well with all the HP you get from Grenadier sub as well as the SPD you put in offensive stats.

Getting the two Blessing of the Winds masteries are also good alternatives, but I opted to save it for later. In the top part of the envoy, Ranger Studies is great for boosting your damage and going right from there boosts your CRIT rate from Weak Point Analysis.

Masteries

General Skills
For General Skills, Fiery Salvo is good for the additional DoT. Other alternatives would be Triple Trouble which increases Triple Shot damage and Bullseye Trio which reduces target's DMG by 8%.

Attack Spec
Zeal is the way to go for Attack Spec. 10% chance to cause extra 50% damage is really big considering Warbow's huge multipliers.

Advanced Skills
Flechette Turret is what I prefer for Advanced Skills. Added CRIT DMG (15-20% depending on mastery upgrade) is huge, although it only lasts for 10 seconds. Blinding Arrow is also good for increasing Arrow of Light's damage and Brilliant Phoenix is also good if you want to increase your movement speed even further.

Defense Spec
Extreme Speed still seems to be the best here. Added movement speed is great for avoiding red carpets.

Tactical Spec
For DPS classes, Break Defense is usually what they get and is also what I would recommend. This can easily change though if you adjust based on your party's masteries in Tactical Spec.

Special Skills
The Best Defense is a solid pickup for increasing your DEF. Warbows have good DMG and The Best Defense will help a lot in making you more tanky.

Eidolons
Kotonoha - +5% Movement Speed (1-star buff), Vampirism, SPD bonus and heals
Bel-Chandra - for CRIT and CRIT DMG
Uzuriel - similar to Bel-Chandra
Tigerius Caesar - for SPD and more movement speed

This is it for now, I might add other useful stuff like skill rotations in the future.
Advertisement

Scyndrel

Rank 0
Scyndrel
PostedMar 17, 2014 6:32 am
Reserved for future use.

pfgaming27

Rank 3
pfgaming27
PostedMar 17, 2014 9:01 am
Everyone pretty much have the same build, items, envoy, and almost everything...Oh well. Great guide nonetheless.

Server: Siren | Guild: Lumina | IGN: PF | Class: WB/GS | Level: 5X

Scyndrel

Rank 0
Scyndrel
PostedMar 17, 2014 9:38 am
pfgaming27 wrote:
Everyone pretty much have the same build, items, envoy, and almost everything...Oh well. Great guide nonetheless.  

That's to be expected; Warbow is just a newly released class and many players are still in the 50s range. Equipments in the 50s are really limited, with everyone going for Aria/Requiem set, Comets set and Shard of Toto's trophies. There's a reason I included my justifications and explanations for each part of the guide.

As for the envoy and build, it's simply the most effective right now (in terms of PvE and leveling, which is the focus of most Warbows at the moment). This holds true for most other main classes as many of them follow a similar envoy path simply because of its effectiveness. The only exception to this would probably those with class combo skills like Warbow/Bard or Warbow/Guardian. I can see where you're coming from though, hopefully reaching the 60s range or access to new content can add more diversity to current builds.

mikulikeonions

Rank 0
PostedMar 17, 2014 11:25 pm
Thank you for the guide, very detail xD

Scyndrel

Rank 0
Scyndrel
PostedMar 19, 2014 3:53 am
mikulikeonions wrote:
Thank you for the guide, very detail xD  

Thanks! It took a lot of time to make this guide and hopefully it would be helpful for Warbows who have not yet chosen a subclass or already chose a Grenadier but is unsure on what to build. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Smile

AeoruTsenza

Rank 0
AeoruTsenza
PostedMar 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: [Guide] PvE Warbow/Grenadier

Scyndrel wrote:

Why HP?
HP is the best survivability defense stat for PvE. Higher leveled monsters have insane bursts and DEF will not be as useful as HP at that point. One point in HP is also a lot better than one point in DEF because of how much %HP Warbow with Grenadier subclass gets. However, DEF is still good mostly against monsters with the same level as you are or if you're on a tight budget and can't fortify armors.

So, which do you prefer for defensive stats, I was kind of lost at that piece I quoted. I'm not on a tight budget, in fact Im pretty much on the opposite. So which do I go with?

Scyndrel

Rank 0
Scyndrel
PostedMar 22, 2014 3:28 am

AeoruTsenza wrote:
Scyndrel wrote:

Why HP?
HP is the best survivability defense stat for PvE. Higher leveled monsters have insane bursts and DEF will not be as useful as HP at that point. One point in HP is also a lot better than one point in DEF because of how much %HP Warbow with Grenadier subclass gets. However, DEF is still good mostly against monsters with the same level as you are or if you're on a tight budget and can't fortify armors.

So, which do you prefer for defensive stats, I was kind of lost at that piece I quoted. I'm not on a tight budget, in fact Im pretty much on the opposite. So which do I go with?  

Regardless of budget, I actually still prefer HP. Even more so if you have the money to spare, since fortifying armors can replace allocating points in DEF. Right now, I'm sitting at around 38k HP unbuffed at 40% DEF. I find that it's a lot more worth it to invest points in HP given all the HP% bonuses you get from envoy, armors and HP from Grenadier weapon. I've tested DEF vs HP in Ozymand Temple (Party) and I couldn't survive with points in DEF when Helakar shoots out his multi-AoE balls while HP gave me a lot more health remaining. HP is also the best choice for the current "end-game" content to survive in Otherworlds and Sky Tower.

SiiKGaming1

Rank 0
SiiKGaming1
PostedMar 22, 2014 4:59 am   Last edited by SiiKGaming1 on Mar 22, 2014 6:03 am. Edited 1 time in total

Secret Stones
For secret stones, I mostly chose Destroying Golden (CRIT DMG+6%). Even with only 30% CRIT, fully charged shots (especially Dimensional Shots) have a really high chance to CRIT, and high CRIT DMG works well with high CRIT rate.  

The thing that sucks is that Warbow only has Golden Secret Stone which is for Hail of Arrows and Triple Shot... Cuz Warbow is too OP for full Goldens Shocked

Even though, I'm pretty sure anyone would be using these as Warbow/Grenadier :

Bow - Sunset Triple Shot
Cannon - Sunset Cannon Salvo

Head - Sunrise Arrow of Light
Body - Golden Hail of Arrows
Waist - Emerald Corrosive Shot
Gloves - Sunrise Dimensional Shot
Boots - Indigo Icy Grenade

Scyndrel

Rank 0
Scyndrel
PostedMar 22, 2014 5:18 am

SiiKGaming1 wrote:

Secret Stones
For secret stones, I mostly chose Destroying Golden (CRIT DMG+6%). Even with only 30% CRIT, fully charged shots (especially Dimensional Shots) have a really high chance to CRIT, and high CRIT DMG works well with high CRIT rate.  

The thing that sucks is that Warbow only has ONE Golden Secret Stone which is for Hail of Arrows... Cuz Warbow is too OP for full Goldens Shocked

Even though, I'm pretty sure anyone would be using these as Warbow/Grenadier :

Bow - Sunset Triple Shot
Cannon - Sunset Cannon Salvo

Waist - Emerald Corrosive Shot
Boots - Indigo Icy Grenade  

I didn't know what was going through my mind when I posted that; I meant mostly Destroying (+6% CRIT DMG). I'll edit in a while, thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway, Warbows also have Golden for Triple Shot, not just Hail of Arrows. The Secret Stones I use right now are pretty much the same as what you listed, except for the Bow. All of the following have Destroying prefix:

Bow - Golden Triple Shot
Cannon - Sunset Cannon Salvo (+8m on ranged stun Twisted Evil)

Waist - Emerald Corrosive Shot (Duration +4 seconds)
Boots - Indigo Icy Grenade (+5m on immobilize is good)