gogodidigodot

Rank 0
PostedMar 04, 2014 1:39 pm   Last edited by gogodidigodot on Apr 18, 2014 12:07 pm. Edited 8 times in total

[Guide]The Brawling Librarian-Sorc/Katar

An all around build leaning towards PvP
A disclaimer before I start. I do not claim for this build to be the best build or any good to begin with. I only have this up for anyone who wants to try something interesting and different. There really isn't a specific purpose for this build as it works fine in both PvE and PvP (However, I personally PvP more and tailored the build to fit my needs). Feel free to comment on anything or ask any questions. Suggestions are welcome as well! Sorry if anything is missing or unclear since this is my first time making one of these guide things, but I really loved this character and wanted to share it XD.

Hello reader! This is a guide to making a potentially decent sorcerer main class with a katar subclass. First of all, why a brawler subclass?

Pros
-Blitz provides a fast stun
-Decent sustain from inner healing
-Quick burst to finish enemies off

Cons
-You don't get as much sustainability as you would with a bard sub.
-If you aren't running an EVA build, you will probably die to main class burst melees as sorcs don't have the built in damage reduction that they have in their buffs. Also, sorcs generally don't have as high a DMG stat.
-As said above, you put yourself in a lot of danger if you go close because that's generally not where a sorc should be. A wizard does technically provides similar abilities but allows you to stay ranged.

Well if you've thrown caution to the wind and still want to give this a go, let's move onto how to build my take on the character. I'll start by showing off my character completely unbuffed.

Stat Distribution:

We'll start with defense because it's the most straightforward. Pure HP. After toying around with putting some points into DEF, I felt that just going straight HP was the best route to go since you can increase your DEF by just fortifying your equipment and with more HP you can take more hits. It also gives more time for the bard to heal you if you're in a situation where you have one.

Moving on to attack. Here it's a bit more varied where I aim to get minimum 40% crit, 30%, and everything else into damage. Point distributions vary with the equipment you decide to use, as wearing a full damage set as opposed to a full hp set will require more points in speed to make up for the lack of speed being on your equipment and vice versa. Personally I choose to go for the HP top, Titan in this case, and a CRIT based bottom with the Lion's Roar set. Currently the point distribution sits somewhere around 30 CRIT, 45 SPD, and the rest into damage.

40% CRIT- With 40% CRIT, you have enough chances to proc criticals that you don't need to invest further in to the stat in order to dish out your damage.

30% SPD- At 30% Speed you max out the speed at which your DoTs tick and you have decent cooldowns. While you can't lock someone with nightmare totem, that is not what this build aims to do .

XX Damage- Once you manage to hit the minimum amount on the other stats, putting points into damage helps out your raw damage for your katar sub as well as the DoTs that you put on your enemies.

Envoy Path:

First of all, since we don't get combo skills, we don't have to worry about those.

I went with all the CRIT and CRIT DMG envoys since they help a lot more than raw DMG as a Sorcerer and the equipment set I use doesn't particularly give much of any CRIT.

The % DMG and AoE range buff for Soul Draw is more or less a must as it helps greatly in situations where you find yourself fighting large groups of mobs in PvE during full dungeon lures as well as in PvP arenas with such as Tanuki and Centurion in the boss area. BEing able to fully heal yourself in 2-3 soul draws is pretty cool.

The % DMG and extended root duration is a choice centered on PvP since the extra 1s root helps a lot in keeping those pesky melee chars away so they can melt some more as you sit back and watch.

The HP passives are there because I REALLY wanted to hit 100k HP but you also need at least one to hit the 20% damage buff when under 40% hp.

The sorcerer passives I went for were: Big Game Hunter, as the the -15% armor is helpful in basically every situation; Sorcery, in order to get to the Shadow Bolt passive buff and the +10% CRIT for dark skills helps with improving the potential heal from Soul Draw; and Counterattack, another PvP choice, since I generally finish people off with Katar skills, the chances you'll be under 40% health are pretty high if it's an even match and the extra damage helps me burst people down. It's possible to choose other passives such as the random buffs and debuffs, but I personally don't like them as they're to random to be effective and reliable in PvP.

Equipment:

The way I built the character was to be very durable and that's reflected in the equipment I have.

Just to get get costumes out of the way. Get -2% dam/+2% hp whenever you can. Customs help. Get the according damage reduction enchantment cards if you get the resources. 5% ACC on weapon costumes.

For weapons I went with both 65 OW Yellows since they each give a passive 5% HP.

For trophies, I have Talen's for the HP boost and the minor healing passive. Toto's Water Blade is something I still can't find a replacement for so...yeah...it's a good trophy.

For the accessory set I have the lvl 60 PvP DAM set set it helps make the katar half of this build do more damage since I feel the build is tanky enough. However, getting the HP set isn't bad either. Or if you're PvE focused, you can do as you like too.

For armor, the top set varies between the 60 PvP set and Titan depending on whether you're in PvE or PvP. For the bottom set, I use the Survive and Adapt set, as I don't feel the 15% damage reduction against elites is really needed.

Sigils:

For sigils, try to get both Thunderous Stones for your weapons. I was lucky and was able to get both of mine from the first two boxes I managed to have dropped for me. The 16% hp boost is great and the damage boost is quite nice as well once you start upgrading the stones.

For armor stones I went with:
Helmet- +5m range of Sparks for helm
Chest- +15% CRIT DAM for Flame Impact on chest
Waist- +4% CRIT on Lotus for belt,
Gloves- -10% CD for Inner for gloves,
Boots- Any perfect stone you may find for the shoes since Sorc/Katar doesn't have any boot sigils.

In terms of rolled stats any combination of ACC/CRITDAM/HP/DMG Taken should be fine.

Well that does it unless I've forgotten something. Again, if you have any particular questions as to my build or any suggestions I'm open to anything. Thank you for taking the time to check this out if you've reached this point. -Bows-

Posted By Aeria Mobile
Advertisement

gogodidigodot

Rank 0
PostedMar 10, 2014 4:16 am   Last edited by gogodidigodot on Mar 19, 2014 12:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Update Log

3/4-Guide Started
3/10-Stats info completed? Starting to work on envoy....
3/19-Basic stuff done. No idea what else to add.

gogodidigodot

Rank 0
PostedMar 19, 2014 12:50 pm
Finished! I think... ;-;

IGN Althea 6X Sorc/Katar (Siren) [Guide]-The Brawling Librarian! http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=2196797

Yumemaruu

Rank 1
Yumemaruu
PostedMar 20, 2014 2:20 am
i only want to say..

If.. somehow you managed to fortify that armor to all +15 maybe.. and your def will be around 65% unbuf.. it will be really scary O.o

Yumemaru - Lv 75 Sorc/Bard - Quit

gogodidigodot

Rank 0
PostedMar 20, 2014 2:32 am
Don't worry, I'm working on it Wink. Also there's some experimenting that I need to do for something I want to try...but that will be later...

IGN Althea 6X Sorc/Katar (Siren) [Guide]-The Brawling Librarian! http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=2196797

alitamat

Rank 0
PostedMar 22, 2014 3:00 pm
can you give me a.. video test maybe? againts other player/npc in pvp or pve hehe Smile
because sorry im in doubt in sorc + katar, but i really want to build this hehe

gogodidigodot

Rank 0
PostedMar 22, 2014 3:36 pm
lol if I said I was rank 1 in arena does that mean anything? And maybe if actually figured out how to do that...or just come watch my duel in Navea if you're on Siren when I'm bored XD. The build excels at 1v1 duels and in multiplayer PvP, you basically transition between being a katar and sorcerer as the situations arise if that makes any sense. I you want a video, you'll have to wait about 1 week until I get back to my normal p/c that can actually handle it.

Yumemaruu

Rank 1
Yumemaruu
PostedMar 23, 2014 3:00 am
i can testify that sorc/katar.. or at least Althea is.. realy good for 1 vs 1.. and if you could manage fortify all our armor set to +15 you will be really hard to kill yet easy to kill QQ
i mean in 1 vs 1, sleep-root-stun ranged DoT with 100k hp and good def + can heal lol

the only problem is only lack of acc if vs eva type. or am i wrong?

gogodidigodot

Rank 0
PostedMar 23, 2014 10:07 am
WTB> ACC plz ;-;

jamesramilo

Rank 0
PostedApr 11, 2014 11:56 pm
Any update? im planning to make a sorc /katar