hokotoro

Rank 0
hokotoro
PostedMar 04, 2014 9:07 am   Last edited by hokotoro on Mar 13, 2014 4:08 am. Edited 11 times in total

OTG(Only True Guide) for a newbie Duelist.

ITT: EVA a sh** and full CRIT a sh** and SAO a sh** novel.
*saofags shaming is obligatory, don't get your jimmies rustled, weebs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)*

Sup. If you are here, then it means you are rolling a Duelist and you have no idea what the heck do you do with that champ. And if you already have a Duelist...well then stop lying to yourself because you don't meng. Also this is a PVE only guide, because I'm not a peasant and I don't engage myself in those plebeian activities called PVP. I have Mechwarrior to #rek people.

Welcome to the Black Swordsman guide, for a total newbie to the game.

Grim reminder that Guts is the best Black Swordsman.

1. Stats
2. Gear
3. Envoy path
4. Skills
5. Eidolon
6. Playstyle

1. Stats
Yeah, Duelist is one of those wonderful classes, that everybody knows how to build, but in the end. Nobody f***ing does. Let's kick off with the most important stat you can build on a Duelist, that helps you storm s**t all over the boss monsters and their red carpets.

Here it is. You see this bad boy? You see it? NO YOU DON'T STOP LYING.

Here is REALLY what you do, when you're a brokeass mofo with lvl 50 items being the ceiling. Once again. This isn't a build showcase, it's a guide for a total newbie.

First of all. CRIT. If you can get it to ~50% without any points then fine and tell me how did you do that with lvl 50 items. If you don', then this is what you do. You shoot your CRIT up, until you have around 50% crit on your primary weapon(see Detailed List -> Offensive tab). Why is that? Because DoTs can crit, and you want them to CRIT a lot. But you don't want to waste resources just to cap CRIT rate. If you crit once every 2 ticks, statistically, it's breddy gud. And since you are a DPS, not a burst-shot, you'll have pretty dang much chance to get that critical, just look at your info chatbox, enable "Damage dealt" and see how fast the damage lines flood the chat.

Second of all. SPD. To make full use of your DoTs, you need 30%. But seriously. It's just a waste of points to try and get it with stats. So no. And there is barely any difference between DoT tick every 0.9s(10% speed) and 0.8s(30% speed).

Third of all. DMG. Whatever you got left over after making your CRIT ~50%, you put in DMG. Heck, if you have 50% CRIT rate without any points, then be my guest and stack 80+ points into DMG. Here is why: DoT is pure damage, and scales with your DMG stat. It doesn't scale with gear damage stat. That's why having an epic lvl 65+ golden weapon is a waste of resources. So this is where we go to equipement.

2. Gear

Ok weebs, btfo, no fancy stuff in here. We're gonna talk about stuff, every casual can get with a snap of fingers.

Let's start with main weapon. Obviously when you hit 50, you get lvl 50 golden weapon. They are cheap, and you don't even need it to be high ATK bonus%. So have fun billing 5g to get one of those, holy ****.

When you get to 60 though, you'd think you want to make lvl 60 oranges. Wrong, mah dark-skinned fellow of African descent, you don't. Windslicer? Fagit gives CRIT damage, but at that time you already stack up 300% easily when in battle(item buffs, Eidolon, other crap). And there is also this other pair of orange blades at lvl60, I don't even bother remembering. It's s**t.
What you wanna get at lvl 60 is this:

90g for a fusion recipe at NPC is nothing at that moment. You sell 3 mat stacks and bam. What's the real deal is that you need to farm Scarlet Fire Crystals in Infernal Abyss. All 1000 of them. Took me a <week doing all 4 Abysses everyday. But it's not like you are gonna get next weapon soon so who cares.

Next thing. The secondary weapon. Obviously it depends on your subclass. Have a go and pick some s**t like Bard(oh god) and Guardian. No really, go ahead. I'm not even kidding.

Ok maybe a did joke a little. Here are your choices. Gunslinger, Sorcerer, Wizard and Grenadier. What? No Katar? No Ravager. No baka, no fat chicks and full melee allowed.
So who do you pick? Obviouly Sorcerer mustard race, because it has heal, self debuff, lifeleech, damage increase debuff, lifeleech debuff, snare-root, aoe sleep. This is what you take. You take a Sorcerer, because you can do survive PVE, and remember you're not a peasant and you don't give a **** about PVP. Ok, seriously though, don't take anything else because you don't need additional damage. There is no Guardian in this game that can keep agro off you so, you're building tank on your own.

If you picked the best sub for Duelist, you obviously get a golden lvl 50 weapon for a pocket change. When you hit lvl 60 you get this:

This guy gives you CRIT rate and CRIT damage buff.

Notice how often I used the word "obviously". You know why? Because all of this is pretty obvious mate.

>implying Zaahir is better
No it's not, go Kill la Kill yourself.

Next, the Trophies. If you are a richfag then go buy your 60/65 Trophies, I don't care. If you're buttneked poor then you get this as your first Trophy:

CRIT damage and CRIT rate, yo. Second Trophy, take whatever you can. Shard of Toto's Water Blade is best but it's not worth the market price. I went with Saint's Hale Horn, because I don't care.

Here is gonna be important so pay attention. Also richfags go away. Next thing is your upper gear set. You got two choices. Aria nad Requiem. Actually wait, scratch it, you don't have a choice at all. Full Aria fags, pls go and stay go. This is what you get:

Both Requiem head and chest. You know how does it feel to tank WT/GC/OT with a Duelist? Well I do, -% damage taken OP.

If we're done with the headgear then let's go to the lower gearset. You can either fill your Requiem up and make the second part too, but really, you don't need -% elite mobs damage.
Go Aria, that crit damage.

And the last thing as for the gear is your Accessory. If you can get full Comets, go ahead. I skipped Cloak, because I didn't feel like it's worth the gold. It's just 10% crit damage anyway. Also again, richfags go and stay go, nobody's paying a fortune for end game stuff.

3. Envoy path

This part is outdated, and since I've been playing Archer classes for like a decade now, in multiple MMOs, it's pretty obvious I immediately rolled a Battle Bow. So I won't even bother with updating the Envoy path on Duelist, which was just a crap to fill the gap for me.

But the principle of building is pretty much the same. I would probably still avoid EVA envoy's and focus on maximizing damage from Cross Slash and Deadly Wink.

You can skip Frenzy until they fix it. When they do you want it, along with the Dream State. Bat Fangs is cool, not mandatory. See how I went attack speed envoys instead of those HP/DEF/EVA ones. Yeah. That's because I'm waiting for Dream State fix, and sure as heck I'm not getting it through all these useless EVA envoys. COME ON.

4. Skills

Kaboom.

You get these. Don't ask why. Better give me a name of other masteries, and I'll just tell you why you're wrong. No. Shut up. You're wrong, deal with it.

5. Eidolons

Starter. You take Merrilee because you want that DFC lolithighs. What, too pedo for you? Normalfags pls.

Second. You get Belchandra. There's thousands of reasons why Bel is better than Uzuriel. First one is that Bel level IV buff skill is better. Also Uzuriel is African.

Third. You take what you like. I got Tigerius, because he's a bro and he lets you ride him.

6. Playstyle

Let's start with your skill rotation.
TOPLEL BRO YOU DON'T HAVE ONE.

That said, first of all you need to control your DPS. If you go full returd and stack 3 Deadly Winks, 5 Cross Slashes and a Slash Cut + whatever your subclass has, then you better be prepared to be the tank, because there's no way you won't get agro from that.

Your main skill is ofcourse Cross Slash. But since it's generating malice rather easily, then you need to know your tank. If the guy cant keep agro off you, you don't stack DoTs, f***ing simple. What you can do instead is pop a Snowflower and combo it with Deadly Wink. Ebin CRIT burst worthy a wizurd :^). Remember that you want to keep your Sorc debuffs on if you are one. And your Slash Cut, since it benefits everyone in the party.

As to your playstyle. Do whatever you want during regular mob fights. If it's a big lure, then everybody dies from time to time, who cares, just local and keep going. If it's b2b, then just go and do whatever, it's not like the mobs will hold long enough for you to get more than 2-3 CS stacks or anything.

During bosses though; If your tank is good, then you do it like that:
1. smash a Snowflower, plant a Cross Slash
2. gtfo wait 2s for cds.
3. smash a Snowflower, plant a Cross Slash
4. gtfo wait 2s for cds.
Rinse repeat until 5 stacks are done, keep 5 stacks going. Fill cooldown time with whatever, like sorcerer debuffs, maybe a jump-Deadly Wink or jump-Slash Cut.

If you do that and you keep getting agro during first boss, that means your Guardian sucks ***. Tell him he's a faget, and get kicked from the party. No, I mean really. Pleb stays pleb, remind them of it. If you, by any chance, don't get kicked after you told your tank that he sucks, please proceed with telling people that Duelist is OP, and they need to step up with their own DPS otherwise senpai will never notice them. Or whatever, you know it's not gonna happen so what you REALLY want to do is keep your DPS low so you'll be at the same sh**-tier level like the rest of your party. Just shoot up some snowflowers+deadlywinks, activate Purple Lightning for better tankiness, damage and speed. Just pretend that you do stuff while you, in reality, just laugh your *** off at how bad other party members are. Remember to tell them so, I mean seriously. Duelist master race, best class, Madoka faceroll no skil, wizard go home.

And after you got kicked from a party, just go to a solo mode. It's not like you are AoE/Tank/Burst/DPS/heal/shamanking. You can spare the time, doing every possible solo mode dungeon in like 8 minutes, hoping you can drop something. Just remember not to go full baka like me, dropping Kalna's Fatal Grip in OW solo, and then just give it off because you forget to put price in COD mail. F***ing CODs man, Aeria confirmed for not cool at all.

Where the heck is youtube BB code.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_PJ66Xqv0

The go f*** urself End
Advertisement

RebleFox

Rank 2
RebleFox
PostedMar 04, 2014 11:06 am
seriously.......rename your guide, use less filtered and more decent langauge -.- this aint the wizzy forum, keep those stuff over there

hokotoro

Rank 0
hokotoro
PostedMar 04, 2014 11:23 am
I'll do that the moment you stop using emoticons like a twelve year old, start using proper ellipses and start capitalizing letters. Get mad.

xanonymoose

Rank 0
PostedMar 04, 2014 11:58 am

I agree with most things in this except...

Frenzy is working in our current version/cap/whatever, it is just worded wrong. It is a 25% chance to do 50% of your last attacks damage again. I don't know where or how they translated it into a DOT, but it does work. Just my 2¢ worth. A decent guide overall even though I went with Rav sub and am using almost the same masteries, although I use the one that recovers 1% of your HP over 10/15 seconds depending on if you have the upgraded version or not. Also, for tactical you might want to note that they do not stack. So, if someone else is using the same one (I.E. The armor break one) they will NOT stack, so recommending to use a different one would be worthwhile depending one what your party is using. Or course, PUGs will be PUGs.

Anyways, once again, decent guide an good job. We need less kiritooooooo wannabes and more Duelist that know what they are doing.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

aefka25

Rank 3
aefka25
PostedMar 04, 2014 5:29 pm
Huahahahha

I upgrade My EVA ! but i can tank the boss without worry, I am defeated some eidolon in Guild hall solo (except tigerius and Quelqulan).

LOL everybody just dont know how to use EVA.........

i am upgrade My SPD, so i can stack DoTs more faster than anyone. i can spam Ultimate skill so i am not worry about redmark.....

LOL I am using full Requiem set....

Low EVA is useless, but high EVA is Useless too. it will be only usefull if you have high Defense too.

i dont know why, but why everybody think Kirito Build their EVA ? Kirito Build their Defense and only use defensive gear ! that is why Kirito never get Killed !

Server Hydra.... IGN : Aefka25

hokotoro

Rank 0
hokotoro
PostedMar 04, 2014 5:33 pm
aefka25 wrote:
Huahahahha  

Sasuga. SAOfag and Kebab combined.

Dispatch removal unit.

shiue2

Rank 0
PostedMar 04, 2014 8:48 pm
From your stats in the pic, if you want to maximize DoT damage:

Do you have 270%+ crit damage? If not, you shouldn't have any points in crit..

And even if you have 300% crit damage cap, you're still having too many points in crit..

50% is a good number in terms of how clean it is, but it's definitely not the optimal number for DoT

Also, there IS a difference between .8 sec DoT and .9 sec DoT... quite a big dmg boost to be honest... But I do agree that you shouldn't spend points in speed to achieve 30% speed, as DMG/Crit are better stats to spend points on.

Overall I think this guide is better than most of other Duelist guides, except the language..

Leojiang96

Rank 0
Leojiang96
PostedMar 05, 2014 12:17 am
Apart from how good the guide actually is(very easy to understand), you sound like someone with severe anger management issues.

hokotoro

Rank 0
hokotoro
PostedMar 05, 2014 2:28 am
Nah son, you've probably never seen a more stoic person.

Kenjichu

Rank 3
Kenjichu
PostedMar 05, 2014 3:15 am
hue.

Am I the only one that thought the guide itself was well written but funny? y so srs, guys.

Nudist Beach or Die.