aeee98

Rank 0
PostedMar 02, 2014 2:40 am   Last edited by aeee98 on Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am. Edited 3 times in total

[Guide] Wizards for Dummies (Wizard/Sorcerer Edition)

This Guide shall take you from the start! If you are a complete newbie, read this.
Hello all, I am here to do a guide for newbies to try out the Wizard class here. This may have mistakes and I will be amending it from time to time. This will carry you all the way till possibly level 65.

Sir, why are you making a Wizard/Sorcerer Guide when there are so many Wizard guides in the first place?

Really simple. Looking into the forums, I have realised that many of the guides here are mainly to "Maximise your Damage" with very expensive items average gamers who are sm.... I mean not have the money to spend IRL money on games like this. This is build to cater for the average gamer to have fun. Also, this guides also caters to those who are not in the top guilds or people who aspire to be at the top. If you want to be in the top guilds and bla bla bla, this is not for you!

This Dummy guide is built with the intention of letting newbies who will not spend alot of time and money creating characters that may not last them a year. I don't like making guides, but not seeing one that caters to the poor pisses me off, so yeah.

Now that I explained it, time to get to the start

Why Wizard?

Wizard offers one of the highest Area of Effect (AoE) damage in the entire game. Even as a budget player, you will realise you will do quite a large amount of damage without spending insane amounts of money, allowing you to do well both in solo dungeons and in parties. Wizard is an excellent PvE class because you are mobbing at very fast paces. As a result, you can get exp and silver/gold fast. I do know that for a Wizard (or any class anyway) to really stand out, they need to spend money. Wizards like me who do not spend money will be wondering, why on earth is he contradicting himself? That is because, in actual fact, Wizards don't need to spend a bomb (or any cent for that matter) for decent amounts of damage.

Why Wizard/Sorcerer? Why not Wizard/Gunslinger?

There are a few reasons why Wizard/Sorcerer is good.

1. If you end up spending money, you won't be spending alot.

Your subweapon will not be as expensive, as Sorcerer is by far one of the least used classes in the game.

2. You will be doing naturally more damage than other subclasses without spending.

Sorcerer has lots of DoT skills than can be chained along with your Wizard skills. Demon Seal makes the opponent take damage from all attacks (and some of your skills hit MORE THAN ONCE). Blood Seal reduces CRIT, making it very useful for PvP scenarios. There is a reason why Nightmare Totem has been nerfed, but it doesn't affect Wizard much as a sub because the immunity will be completely covered by the cooldown it has (because of 3x cooldowns). Nightmare Totem is by far one of the best engage and disengage tools a Sorcerer sub has and the best backup tool in case there isn't a Sorcerer in your party. (And by far there are so many parties that do not have a Sorcerer, I lost count). All of these are done without you spending a single cent, and no weapon procs are even counted yet!

3. You have backup sustain.

Sorcerer subs give you an extra heal (and it is a party pseudo ballad) that cannot be canceled out unless there is a main Sorcerer in the team (which I originally said doesn't happen ALOT of times). Soul Draw helps alot in early game sustain. This will definitely fall off later on because of the very little damage and heal it eventually gives, but at least. Lastly, applying Blood Seal does help yourself survive further.

Just to add on to it, Sorcerer sub's Rejuvenation Mantra helps get rid of those pesky debuffs that some bosses like to place, allowing you to return back to top form much more easily. Wizard does have a Rejuvenation Prayer that basically does the same thing, but Mantra is always at a lower cooldown even as a sub, allowing to clear debuffs fast. If a Sorcerer Main is in your team you won't get the heal but the debuff will still be removed.

4. Weapon and Zeal procs on every single hit your Sorcerer skills are.

This allows for even more damage when tuned with your Wizard skills.

5. You don't need to go all out SPD. (Though having a decent 30+% SPD helps alot)

This allows you to push points into CRIT or DMG, allowing your character to hit harder without needing too many points to make sure your cycles are infinite.

6. You can still support your team.

Debuffs and buffs make you more than just a DPS machine. Your Nightmare Totem can save lives both in PvP and PvE, Mantra is an awesome addon to the Ballad, and having that awesome Demon Seal and Blood Seal to keep the party going in clearing large amounts of mobs. (Even when there is a Main Sorcerer in your party) All that and you can still keep your Wizard's DPS high through your Sorcerer's effects as well.

Items!

These item sets are carefully chosen for budget players to play. This should be changed for slightly more expensive items other guides offer if you really have the money.

Level 1-40

Use any equip that comes by your way! There is nothing you need to really get. If you are lucky enough to get a loop drop Blue equip, just use it as it helps you save up for the higher level equipments. Grab Harvey's Staff for the damage.

Level 45

If you are (un)lucky enough to get all the items needed for Holm's Lost Tome of the Ancients, make it and it should be your Girimore until you reach level 60. Also, by now you should be able to craft Fia's Brillant Fairy Dust (which is awfully cheap in the Auction House). Add it with a green Fia's and you have more Critical Damage.

Level 50

Grab Mina's Staff of the Almighty from the Fame Quest (preferably one with 130%+ DMG) or Auction house if you can't get one. If you didn't build Holm's, get Codex of the First Village (any % will do, although having 120+% DMG helps). You should be swapping to full Green (Divine Grace) Armor, and upgrade it to Aria if you have the cash. (Although by right if you have been playing it right you should have the cash to get at least an Aria Hat and a Aria Armor recipe) Use all Yellow DMG rings. Don't bother going for Comets/Toto's shard if you do not have the cash as you already have enough crit damage from the trophies you have used.

Level 60

By now, you should be trying your best to earn as much money as possible. From my calculations, you earn up to 2 gold on every single Level 50 and 55 Dungeons (Solo, Party and Hard) and 3 gold ++ on Remix Otherworlds. (That is if you sell all your common drops which you should be doing already) And this is by far the least. After getting a set of the level 60 trophy recipes, you should be selling your extra copies for gold. This gives you enough money to get your first big item. If you have the money, grab a Polar Codex which helps ensure you hit 300% CRIT DMG later on without doing anything. A Nocturnal Core on that item will seal the deal as a big item. When I was 60, I didn't have much money and couldn't plan for a subweapon. I ended up placing my Nocturnal Core into my Staff of the Stars instead (this recipe can be bought from Analisa) , which is still decent. (At level 60 I managed to save about 300-400 gold, and had everything green except for my Mina's, Codex of the First Village and my Aria Top set) This is expensive, but worth it. However, for cheaper options, get a Blue Girimore with Nocturnal in its name for the same effect and you can use a cheaper core for your main weapon. Of course, this way you will give up possible bonuses green Girimores have to offer, but the sustain that you need at level 60 onwards makes it important for you to have capability to turn your attacks into health.

With the Dragon Coin system along with an increased drop rate of mysterious armor formulas, it is easier for people to get their level 60 recipes. Now the question is, which set to use?

Time to compare stats for all 3 of the level 60 sets:
For the Top
Devourer Set: Base Def, Base HP, Base Crit, Eva, Bonus Eva, 15% Bonus Damage against Bosses.
Revelations Set: Base Def, Base HP, Damage, Crit, Crit Damage Against Bosses +15%, bonus SPD, 10% Heal
Titans: Enhanced Def, High HP, Base SPD, Base Eva, Damage Taken Against Bosses -15% Damage Taken -5%.

Just on stats alone, you may find that Revelations Set is best used with Wizard, since there are all the stats a Wizard needs, and you are right. The extra damage does give the Revelations a good look to Wizards and I recommend this if you are going budget.

If you are really going to go hardcore and get really solid equipment, bossing power would become more important. As such, the Devourer Set outscales Revelations in boss damage when your weapon goes beyond a certain threshold. This is because Wizard Sorcerer never needs to worry about getting 300% Crit damage to bosses since you can easily hit 270%++ BASE CRIT DMG (not counting extra Staff Damage) after you hit 65. This is a good factor to note.

Titans is used by a select few Wizards who just don't want to die. It works because the SPD stat given allows them to stay alive. After all, a dead DPS does no damage.

Level 65

Depending on your budget, get either the Lion's Roar Set of the Lethal Beast set. I personally prefer the latter because I do not need the 55% CRIT DMG to max Crit Damage, however a good thing to note is that the benefit the Lion's Roar gives to Wiz/Sorc isn't the proc exactly but the bonus HP along with the bonus Crit DMG should you opt against the Forbidden Tome.

Use the Bonus Flame Damage set, which gives 45% Bonus damage to your Meteor, or if you have the level 55 3% DMG, 4%CRIT DMG set, use that. If your SPD after food hits 40%, I would suggest just going for the bonus flame damage.

If you really have the money, go for Flokja, allowing you to add more points to CRIT or DMG without worrying too much about SPD, and go for the Baphomet's Assault Set to further reduce the need for SPD. Baphomet IMO is an excellent set for Wizards and any DPS in general because it gives 10k Bonus damage and as a caster that casts spells all the time, stacking to 10 times does not take much time at all.

Secret Stones:

Even though this is a budget build, get 4/6% Crit Damage Secret Stones. If you have Cursebreaker/Destroying stones from drops but aren't from your class, you can still add them to your equipment as the damage still benefits you.

Later on, you may consider getting Thunderous Secret Stones for both of your weapons, or 1 Thunderous, 1 Zephyr (I prefer the former) This is not exactly important until you hit the end-game scenario.

Stats, Envoy Path and Masteries

Wizard/Sorcerer Focuses alot on getting all of those Crits and Crit procs off as much as possible. Working smart, you would want to head for a decent 30% CRIT before pushing SPD to 30%-35% and then pushing CRIT again (when you are pushing your SPD your CRIT will naturally grow due to equipment bonuses) Defense wise, get yourself to a decent 30% DEF (since budget players rarely get to hit past 40%) and pump everything else to HP. Evade is completely unnecessary if you do it well.

For Envoys, all 3 Wizard Studies, All Wizard Masteries, Astrology and Wizardry are needed. I will post the images of my Envoy's path are needed, but apart from all from these, all of the rest of the points are really up to you. I personally went for both of the Combo Ultimates because of the invulnerability during the cast time, which is really good when I want to heal up from being hit in both PvP and PvE (although at later levels there isn't really a need anymore) EDIT: After the new Update, there are 2 more masteries that you are recommended to get, Flame and Lightning AND Storm and Ice. Both are procs that give effects and damage which are really nice.

Below is my Envoy's Path. This is given for reference and it is recommended you don't follow my path completely. This has points for up to Level 65.

For Masteries:

General Spec: Piercing Ice is strong as it augments your DoT along with all the other DoT's Wizard/Sorcerer has to offer. I go for firebomb when soloing and more often after I hit a damage that I want.

Attack Spec: Zeal is excellent as you have tons of skills to proc it on. A good alternative if you want to get closer to your skill loops would be Focus. (The 5-7% SPD Does help)

Advanced Spec: Molten Meteor should be upgraded ASAP at the Master Wizard in Navea as it is one your strongest skills. If you find that your DPS is much lower than another person (which probably would be of a much higher level than you, get Flash Storm as it helps shave off Defense.

Defense Spec: I personally went for Extreme Speed because I really want to get to places faster. It also has a EVA boost that helps in lower levels. If you find yourself getting hit hard all the time (which shouldn't because you would outrun creeps and kite most of the time, get Courage.

Tactical Spec: In bigger raids, discuss with your team which skill you are going for, otherwise, Break Defense is always the best. I am currently seeing if Ars Noxia is actually useful for mobile groups of monsters (usually in Otherworlds), but personally I doubt so. EDIT: After testing, Break Defense does much more.

Special Skills: For PvE: The Best Defense is excellent as you are adding defense base on your very high attack. For PvP as a budget player, you may consider using Shattered/Rushing Void if you have that combo ultimate as that damage is horridly broken.

Training and Farming

Training is not a problem as a wizard because you have tons of damage, allowing you to clear creeps fast enough for free exp. If you can't get a party to do party dungeons, do Solo Dungeons of your level (if you don't have any storyline to follow). At level 53 you should be going to Candeo Core and Deep's Cavern Hells as often as possible as it helps you get your Aria set if you are lucky, and also decent amounts of gold to prepare for the next one.

A weakness of Wizard is it can require lots of potions in the earlier parts of the game. If you are lucky enough to get a blue girimore with a nocturnal buff, use it to help reduce the need of potions. Make sure all parties you enter do have a bard and guardian (unless your level is too much higher, but still a bard would be nice)

In Party/Hard dungeons, make sure you stand a decent distance away. Learn to kite (aka moving while casting spells) and jump cast. This will boost your survivability by alot. Of course, the guardian in your party may be a complete idiot and not be able to generate enough malice to protect you, but yeah, you should stay fine with decent kiting.

Wizards, like many other classes are horrible in the Eidolon Temple. Make sure you are at least 5 levels above the minimum requirement before even attempting to hit that monster (minus level 35)

Conclusion

I hope you have fun as a new Wizard in this game! I will post up vids/images if possible. I may be making guides for other classes with the same intention as well so stay tuned!

EDITS:
14/3/2014 Added Envoy Path Update, Masteries
4/6/2014 Added Dragon Coin Update
Advertisement

Leojiang96

Rank 0
Leojiang96
PostedMar 02, 2014 4:52 am
I like this, might get me to start playing wizard Razz

EmberWitch

Rank 1
EmberWitch
PostedMar 02, 2014 11:21 am
One of the best part about Sorc is the weapons could be built to suit your/your party needs.

Such as the lvl 60 books that either turn you into a Defence + Eva party aura or a Bel Chandra with its Crit and Crit Dmg party boost. The amount of status buffs /debuffs from a Sorc makes it a sub worth playing.

XD

lakelady

Rank 0
lakelady
PostedMar 03, 2014 8:49 pm
Thank you, Not many people do guides thinking in the newbies ;-;

lionstaring

EOS Founder
lionstaring
PostedMar 05, 2014 3:35 pm
I love how you lay down step by step recommended gear for each level. I should do the same for my guide. Keep up the good work!!

jun.jeong96

Rank 0
PostedMar 07, 2014 11:59 pm
Hi

I have few questions regarding the guide.

For stat section , you said to get 30% crit and then push points into speed , however , when you say 30% do you mean 30% without item and with just raw stats alone to get the 30% crit? If so how many levels would that take?

Also , for Aria vs grace set , what makes Aria so favorable when comparing the price value between the two? sure i see about 100~200 stat difference between the two item but is that worth spending around 200 gold for the whole set?

humaroid

Rank 0
humaroid
PostedMar 08, 2014 4:45 am
Thanks for your guide Smile

aeee98

Rank 0
PostedMar 14, 2014 8:02 am
jun.jeong96 wrote:
Hi

I have few questions regarding the guide.

For stat section , you said to get 30% crit and then push points into speed , however , when you say 30% do you mean 30% without item and with just raw stats alone to get the 30% crit? If so how many levels would that take?

Also , for Aria vs grace set , what makes Aria so favorable when comparing the price value between the two? sure i see about 100~200 stat difference between the two item but is that worth spending around 200 gold for the whole set?  

Thanks for bringing your concerns.

When you upgrade your gear, your CRIT naturally increases because you are naturally searching for equipment that gives CRIT. So, by right, I would say you can follow the stat after gear. It is technically not possible for you to reach 30% CRIT without sacrificing a great deal of SPD to do so, and as I said in my post you need at least 30% SPD especially after level 60 for maximum sustain and DPS.

The winning factor that gives the Aria Set its value is its set bonuses, having only one piece of which is completely useless. The Aria Top set gives a 15% bonus damage to bosses, the Bottom 30% Bonus Crit Damage to bosses. It is something imo you can forgo if you don't have the cash. However if you are lucky enough to get it, well use it! At level 60 I only had an Aria top set complete, but I kept with it because I didn't PvP that much and thus not really needing the DEF, but the 15% bonus damage kept me using it. (note I don't have it at +9)

You are right to say it isn't worth chalking up the entire 200 gold (that is the maximum value you need to pay for a full 5 item set), especially when sooner or later there will be easier ways to get level 60 recipes and the prices of those recipes will eventually fall. I still eventually got the entire recipe set to prepare for my next character though, so it is still a good idea getting them (after all, you still get your achievements by forging everything!)

soxier

Rank 0
PostedMar 18, 2014 7:47 pm
Hi,

I'm new here at AK and what I did was a Wiz/Sorc build.

I would like to ask for your help for my set before getting an Aria of Gentleness set that is easy to find.

Right now I'm at level 41 and my current stat is 22% CRIT and 18% SPD.

I'm not into PVP. I just need a good set for farming and boss fights.

Thanks!

v17gelo

Rank 0
PostedMar 20, 2014 10:32 pm
So what's the perfect eidolon for wiz/sorc?