Thanks for the info!

Advertisement

Hardmuscle

Rank 0
Hardmuscle
PostedFeb 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Re: New Potential Security Breach

Superman0X wrote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57619567-83/black-market-lights-up-with-360m-stolen-credentials-report/

This is just a reminder, you should regularly update your passwords, not re-use or share them between accounts. In todays world, everything is connected, and we have to assume that someone bad is going to get ahold of our data at some point.  

Thanks for the heads up! Cool

ghostcannon

Rank 5
ghostcannon
PostedFeb 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Thanks for the heads up! and awareness...

People please use Passphrase as your passwords that would include upper case and lower case alpha-numeric characters, numbers, and special characters ($#%@) in it...it is the most secured and strongest password format to use.

Credit to [GS]Abso for the Siggy

dougyfresh724

Rank 1
dougyfresh724
PostedFeb 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: passwords

passwords
Falkar02 wrote:
dougyfresh724 wrote:
Im an IT guy, but I only change my passwords when i'm forced or when something gets hacked lol. harder to keep track of all of them when you have to use 5 computers and have over 60 things you have passwords for.  

I'm IT guy to but I use lastpass for my passwods works great.  

I used to change them when I could use my finger print scanner until IE, FF, and GoogChrome stopped supporting it. Which was within a year of buying my laptop lol. I used to be able to swipe each my fingers 1, 2, or 3 times to automatically open different websites or programs and have it log me in. Those were the days, but now the browsers suck and I can't do it.

dougyfresh724

Rank 1
dougyfresh724
PostedFeb 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: New Potential Security Breach

not quite
[/quote]

For a password, one character takes up 1 byte, not 1 bit. So for every digit you have you have 256 possibilities. so for the first one at random guessing it may take 256 ^ 11 possible combinations. so 588,419,290,100,663,679 years lol at 1000 guesses per second

TylenoI

Rank 5.1
TylenoI
PostedFeb 26, 2014 11:26 pm
Oberonu wrote:
May sound mean, but this is funny. I will quote a movie called "Hackers" for those who are too young to have watched the movie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Plague: Our recent unknown intruder penetrated using the superuser account, giving him access to our whole system.

Margo: Precisely what you're paid to prevent.

The Plague: Someone didn't bother reading my carefully prepared memo on commonly-used passwords. Now, then, as I so meticulously pointed out, the four most-used passwords are: love, ***, secret, and...

Margo: [glares at The Plague]

The Plague: god. So, would your holiness care to change her password?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hint, don't use easy to guess or easy passwords. If your password is on this list, you may need to find a friend to make a password for you.

Your e-mail accounts should be the hardest passwords of them all, since by accessing them, someone gains access to everything and every account you have. No, deleting e-mails does not protect you. Storing them or deleting them won't make much difference since it takes a while for servers to truly delete data.

Last part, never put, send, or such anything online since nothing connected to the internet is safe, yes, that does mean your computer. Yes, there are programs running on your computer to which task manager does not show, so you never truly know how safe your internet is, your isp's internet servers, and so forth. Be smart with login and passwords, change them monthly (I use a cycle of passwords to logins depending on importance) to which you want e-mails to be brain tantalizing and you might as well right down the list and encrypt in your own way to which account(s) the cycles belong to. Cheers!  

Not a big enough hint, my dongles got caught in the ceiling fan.

goldenbucks

Rank 0
PostedFeb 28, 2014 12:57 am

Re: passwords

passwords
dougyfresh724 wrote:
Im an IT guy, but I only change my passwords when i'm forced or when something gets hacked lol. harder to keep track of all of them when you have to use 5 computers and have over 60 things you have passwords for.  

true, but some of the people are using very short or the very minimum requirement lenght and level password, these kind of people should fortified their password or get it change regulary. or create 6 - 7 kind of different password which is rotating regulary for example every week or every month should be better ;3 because there has never ever been a secure place in the Cyber world we just created mazes that's all ;3

cyclose.code

Rank 1
PostedFeb 28, 2014 3:57 am
The only way I could be hacked is by means of keyloggers. Other than that, I'm completely safe. Thanks for the info but no, I'm never changing my password.

acemaloof

Rank 2
acemaloof
PostedFeb 28, 2014 7:39 am
cyclose.code wrote:
The only way I could be hacked is by means of keyloggers. Other than that, I'm completely safe. Thanks for the info but no, I'm never changing my password.  

lol if you have the right security then yes locally it'd be your fault for getting hacked, however I believe superman is hinting at the fact that aeria might have been compromised a lil bit, and you are forgetting that aeria is the company you have your account with and none of the information pertaining to your characters or account is stored locally.

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
PostedFeb 28, 2014 8:35 am
acemaloof wrote:
cyclose.code wrote:

lol if you have the right security then yes locally it'd be your fault for getting hacked, however I believe superman is hinting at the fact that aeria might have been compromised a lil bit, and you are forgetting that aeria is the company you have your account with and none of the information pertaining to your characters or account is stored locally.  

If you read the article, you can see that hundreds of millions of people have had compromised credentials recently made available for sale. This indicates that either some very big source, or many smaller sources have been recently compromised, and it is not yet public.

This doesnt have anything to do with Aeria directly... but we have customers who use the internet, and as such are vulnerable to such compromise.