TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedFeb 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Treisha's Happy Healing Funtime Tanky Tanky Festival of Pain

Alternatively, An Introductory Guide To Brawler/Sorcerer
Hello everyone, my name is Mr. Ed and welcome to my guide. Today, I teach you how to not die, how to not be a Mr. Squishsquish, how to be tanky and DPSy at once, and how to make delicious apple pie. One of those statements is a lie. It's up to you to determine which one.

To avoid a horribly formatted Great Wall of Text, the guide as a whole will be broken into post sections. But to also avoid post-farming, I will try to keep the number of separated posts to a minimum.

Table Of Contents

I -- An Introduction to Life, The Universe, and Everything. (Also Known As An Introduction to Katar, Sorcerer, And the Basics)
II -- Gear, Stats, And What You Need to Not End Up a Bloody Stain on the Dungeon Floor
III -- Anything I Forget to Include On the Above Posts (Also Known As I am Good at the Making of Words and the Englishes!)

Part One: An Introduction to Life, The Universe, and Everything

To start things off, I'm going to dive right in and say it: This guide is not aimed at making you OP in any way. It is not aimed at making you unkillable. It is not aimed at making you able to kill everything in pve and everyone in pvp. It is aimed at the average players, the non-cashers, the ones that don't want to or aren't able to spend every waking moment in-game. This guide is aimed at making you understand how Katar works, why Sorc is a great pair for it, and what you need to know to push you in the right direction. And so, keep in mind that my own Katar's stats are not OP in any way. I am not unkillable. I cannot kill everything in pve and everyone in pvp. I am an average player with average stats. But I can still help others.

Now with that out of the way, let's take a look at what the stats are, what they can do for you, and what you need to aim for as a Brawler/Sorc.

||An Introduction to Stats||

This is the class passive on the Katar envoy tree. The boost to HP and Crit mean that those two stats will take less effort in the long run to build up considerably than a class without those stat boosts. HP is important to survivability, and Crit is important to helping bloodify things before they bloodify you. However, thanks to this passive boost to the two stats we can take the time to focus on other things!

The stats that are most beneficial to Katar/Sorc are:

• Defense (Or alternatively, reduced damage taken)
  • HP
  • Raw damage
  • Crit Damage

A high HP pool is natural for a Brawler, even with minimal investment in it. Coupled with a lot of damage reduction, you have the means of a pretty good tanky DPS on your hands. Thankfully, building up a lot of damage reduction is simple for a Katar player, which will be outlined in a later post. Brawlers also have access to a nice Crit stat at later levels thanks to quite a few crit-based envoy passives. To help these crits along, it is important that you build up your raw damage and your crit damage. Thankfully, there are some Envoy grey-box passives that help this even more!

Namely, these two. Now, the second image shows a grey-box passive talking about releasing your charges. This will be outlined later when we talk about your Skills. For right now though it is important that you get these two grey-box passives no matter what your subclass, role, or build is. They're just that cool. With Katar's naturally high crit rate, that 10% damage boost WILL be active 24/7, without a single doubt. That's a really nice boost in damage. Charge Master will also be active very often thanks to using Lotus Strike/Inner Strength often, which will be talked about further in the Skill sections later on.

Now let's move on to some more technical stuff.

||Why Brawler/Sorcerer?||

Why, indeed. Well, it's actually a pretty simple answer. Sorcerer not only covers what Brawler lacks (more Damage Over Time skills to back up the naturally bursty DPS of the Katar), but it also strengthens Brawler's.... strengths. For lack of a better word.

Katar has access to two very lovely little skills: Shadow Strike and Lotus Strike. Shadow Strike is a sky-charge DOT skill that leeches 10% of the damage done in those DOTs back to your health. If the DOT hits for 2000, you heal 200 every tick. Not only that, but this skill can stack up to three times.

Lotus Strike does a very similar thing to Shadow strike: It eats up any Sky Charges you are currently holding and gives you a Heal-Over-Time buff for every sky charge it ate, up to three stacks at once. Effectively, this means you can have three charges of Shadow Strike's HOT AND Lotus Strike's HOT active at the same time.

But what does this have to do with the combo of Brawler/Sorc you ask? Well, Sorc has a single-leech skill that leeches back to your HP 10% of the damage it inflicted on the enemy. It also has a HOT skill, Rejuvenating Mantra, that can be stacked on top of Shadow Strike and Lotus Strike. So that is a heckie of a lot of HP regeneration. This is where having a good HP and Defense pool comes in.

In the next post, I will outline some basic gear and stat combinations that you can use to make the most out of the Brawler/Sorcerer combo. Just remember this is all in the perspective of an average player, and is aimed at helping average players. So keep your negative nancy comments about my stats, my builds, or anything else to yourself.
Advertisement

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedFeb 23, 2014 10:42 pm   Last edited by TreishaSempai on Feb 27, 2014 10:57 pm. Edited 5 times in total
Part Two: Gear, Stats, And What You Need to Not End Up a Bloody Stain on the Dungeon Floor

Now that we've got the basics out of the way, we get to dive into the fun stuff!

||Why You Shouldn't Run Around In Your Underpants: A Simple Guide to Gear and Stats||

Brawler itself is a two-sided class: It is tanky, and it is DPSy. With this in mind, I chose to mix and match my gear. Funnily enough, I at first thought this would be an ingenious, original idea.... Then I realized everyone else was already doing it. But that's okay, because mixing and matching works very well, especially for a tanky DPS class and/or build. Let's go over what I currently use and why I feel this setup benefits more than any other build:

**DISCLAIMER**: Currently that screenshot shows me still using the 45 yellow katars... this is because I have yet to find affordable 120+ 50 yellows, and instead resorted to buying 120% green level 55 katars... Which funnily enough cost only 400 silver and has 100% the exact same stats as a 120% yellow 50 Meira's Katar. BUT I DIGRESS.

These stats are a good example of what you can expect with a somewhat-okay geared 50+ Brawler/Sorcerer under the hands of an average player. But every single piece of gear was chosen for specific reasons:

• The Grimoire is the level 50 crafted one and adds 25% crit damage against bosses, as well as a damage boost proc
  • The yellow trophy adds static 15% crit damage
  • The yellow Comet accessories add crit, damage, and a 10% Crit Damage boost
  • The headpiece and chest piece are pieces of the Requiem set at 50. They add better HP and defense than the Aria set, but more than that they reduce boss damage taken by 15% and 4% damage reduced overall. This is understandably so much more useful than the Aria pieces
  • The three remaining armour pieces are from the Aria set, which will cater to your DPS roles with boosts to crit, damage, 30% crit damage increase against bosses and a proc that increases your damage/crit

So all in all, this type of setup boosts both your damage output as well as your survivability without really sacrificing too much of either. To give your gear even more oomph, you can further customize it by choosing secret stones to inlay. What stat(s) you focus your stones on are important, but they are also interchangeable. What this means is there are a bunch of stats that Brawler/Sorcerer would benefit from the most and you can choose any of them to focus on; there's no single "holy grail stat" that you absolutely have to choose from. The most useful stats for secret stones to choose from are: HP, reduced damage taken, crit damage, and accuracy if you plan on pvping. I personally try to focus on crit damage for my stones, but as more crit damage procs become available I will switch to HP and -dmg taken. In the long run, whatever stats you choose for your orange secret stones are 100% up to you.

Now, in case you are wondering what type of stats you should aim for on your cores, it's pretty straight forward. For an average player, which is who this guide is aimed at, the optimal weapon cores of Fell/Deadly/Nocturnal are pretty much out of reach unless you get pretty lucky with your crafting, so if you can't get those for every single craft don't fret! Pretty much any weapon and armour core that doesn't give a boost to Speed (unless you want speed for shorter cooldowns and slightly faster DOTs/HOTs), Eva (unless you're an Eva-centric player), knockback, or slow (since there are much better effects a weapon for a melee-centric class could have than slow) is one you can use to craft with. Basically, try to use cores that have stats that you as a class and as a player will want to use. If you want damage-based cores, go for Crit/Damage %/Fell/Deadly cores. If you want defensive cores, go for HP/Defense cores and that sort of thing. I personally just use any cores I craft that has stats I can make use of, like Damage/Crit/HP/Defense/so on and so forth. I never use any core that has Speed or Evasion on it. Thankfully, these two links have a complete list of available Weapon and Armour Core prefixes to help you decide on what to aim for:

Weapon Core Prefix Guide, thanks to Endora's Lair

and

Armour Core Prefix Guide, thanks to Endora's Lair

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now let's talk about those stats for a bit. As shown above, I put all of my Offensive stats into Damage since reaching 50+% crit rate is not difficult at all. For Defensive stats, I focus on a 2-to-1 ratio of Defense*:HP. I chose this because I really do not want to spend all my LP and AP on blue scrolls to fortify my gear (choosing instead to cap at +9**... unless I get a crafted piece with really, really, REALLY good %s), and because Brawlers already have access to a high health pool thanks to that 15% boost from the class passive shown in the first post. This spread is my **recommended** spread, but it is by no means the BEST spread. What's best for one person is different from what's best for someone else, but this is just what works the most for me. Don't be afraid to make your own personal adjustments to any type of gear or stat build if it works better for you!

*: My damage reduction as of right now, including the buff from Inner Strength, is 77% without using Eidolons or food/drinks. If you want to boost this, use dmg reduction secret stones and the full level 48 blue "Mercenary" accessory set. This will give another 3% reduction.
**: Note- my gear set is NOT fully +9 right now. This is just my optimal level of fortification. My gear is 3 parts unfortified, one +7, and one +12 124% armour crafted piece, so that defense stat on the screenshot could easily be much higher with a decently fortified set

For Offense, I went full Damage as you can see. This is because of a couple of reasons: Similarly to Duelist, it's not hard for Brawler to build up crit rate from food/eidolon buffs, gear, and Envoy paths. Because of this, it would just be a waste to build up even more crit rate from your Offense stats. Instead, it'd be safer to pump up your raw damage instead. You also really have no need to pump up your Speed stat in a big way in this build. Skill cooldowns are universally short with these two classes, and the boost to HOT/DOT ticks from Speed is negligible compared to the DPS boost from either DMG or Crit.

Now for the Defensive spread. Here you can have more wiggle room. If you have plenty of AP and/or LP to fortify your gear as high as they can go, you can go full HP if you wish, or even throw some Eva in there. Evasion won't help you as a whole compared to higher HP/Defense, but if you can make it work then by all means go for it. Otherwise, if you don't have the funds to + your armour a lot, I suggest putting at least some points into Def just to help back it up. I chose a 2:1 spread of Def:HP, as stated plenty of times before, because my HP is already naturally high. Once I hit around 60% on Defense I will start putting all my remaining points into HP. This does not mean you absolutely have to choose the same stat spread, though. Just go with whatever you feel suits you most!

Whew. That was a lot to type, and I'm sure it's a lot to take in at once. Thankfully there's just one more section to cover before I throw all you little sheepies into the wilderness to fend for yourselves!

||Skills And How to Faceroll Your Keyboard Sucessfully||

Now I'm going to lay out my skill combinations for different PvE situations, with short descriptions on why it's set up this way.

~~The General DPS Setup

Pretty self-explanatory. For general DPS roles in dungeons, this is the typical skill lineup I use. I also generally use the skills in the order shown too. The two Sorcerer DOT moves are there to help back up Brawler's naturally bursty DPS, Shadow Strike is there to leech HP if you need it, and skills 2-4 are to help build up earth/sky charges for Lotus Strike (which has insanely good DPS and can help keep up your HP alongside Shadow Strike). In case you're wondering why I advice using Lotus Strike as your charge-eater instead of Inner Strength, that's because of personal preference. I prefer the sky charge bonus from Lotus Strike (stackable HOT) more than the sky charge bonus from Inner Strength (stackable eva buff). If you prefer it the other way around, by all means switch the skills out accordingly if you wish. For Eidolons, I generally use Eligos with almost-capped Damage stat to help DPS as well as the -Def/+ACC skills.

In the above screenshot you can also see where I chose the mastery for Swift Strike, for the -10% ACC bonus on top of the -Def bonus. This is to help with my survivability by a small amount. It is not necessary for the build. For the most part, you can do whatever you want (to a certain extent) with your masteries. Play around with them, get a feel for them, and choose the ones you like best.

~~The General Soloing/Tanking Setup

Honestly, I stay in this skill setup more than anything else. In map questing, I just spam skills 1->2->3->5-> Move to next mob. In dungeon soloing or tanking, I use this exact skill setup in the exact order it's in.... almost. Skill #4 is more of an emergency skill for the 10% health leech whenever I'm really hurting for some quick HP. I also chose the mastery for Mantra to add another 3 seconds to the buff, meaning I have .5 second of downtime between the buff ending and the cooldown ending. It's very, very useful and I HIGHLY recommend you use this mastery.

In this setup, I recommend using Inner Strength immediately after letting Lotus Strike eat up your charges. The buff gives a minor heal and a 20% damage reduction even without charges, which works amazingly coupled with the 2:1 Def:HP spread.

For Eidolons, I use either Merrilee for her small HOT or Aelius for his straight heal and crit dmg reduction. In the future, though, I will use Kotonoha instead for support.

~~Other skills and notes

-- Sparks and Flames/Electrocution/Totem: I never use these skills unless I'm mobbing for a board fame quest or a Solo/Party dungeon to farm mats. When mobbing trash mobs, use Sparks and Electrocution together with the Totem thrown in for good measure. Use Mantra/Inner Strength for healing if you really need to.

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedFeb 23, 2014 10:42 pm   Last edited by TreishaSempai on Mar 18, 2014 8:26 pm. Edited 5 times in total
Part Three: Random Stuff To Be Edited When Needed

||Masteries Part Two: Electric Boogaloo||

The lovely part about masteries is there is no right or wrong build when it comes to them. I'm not going to share which ones I choose (except for skill-based masteries), but I will point out the more useful ones so you can choose on your own.

~~General Skills:

I use Piercing Swiftness for the -10% ACC debuff. Corrosive Shadow is an okay/average choice, only use it if your DPS is so bad that you NEED the extra DOT from it. Entangling Seal is a better choice than Corrosive due to the -8% damage debuff. Basically, if you wanted to boost your tanky side, go for either Entangling Seal or Piercing Swiftness. If you wanted to boost your DPS, use Corrosive or Swift Cruelty (due to the base skill being a spammable one).

~~Attack Spec:

I suggest either using Zeal or Callousness. If you lack crit dmg, use the latter. Otherwise, go for the former.

~~Advanced Skills:

There are two big options to choose from here depending on whether you want a boost to your DPS or a boost to your survivability. For DPS, I suggest choosing Null Srike for the 20% boost in DOT damage, which also boosts your leeched heal a small amount. If your Shadow Strike DOTs tick for 1000, you heal a base of 100 per tick. A 20% boost means your DOTs will hit for 1200 and your HOTs for 120. That's a 20 HP boost per second. If you're more interested in beefing up your survivability, try using Regenerative Barrier. This mastery adds 3 seconds to your Mantra HOT timer, which means moar ticks! I personally prefer Barrier over Null Strike, but whichever one you choose depends on whether you need a boost to your DPS or to your survivability.

~~Defense Spec:

There are three good options here, so choose one based on what you want to build up the most: Vigor (5% HP), Iron Wall (5% Def), or Courage (A mix of the two: 3% HP, dmg taken -2%)

~~Tactical Spec:

This one will change around based on what, or who, you're fighting. Sabotage is good to boost your survivability if you really need it, since it carries a proc of -10% dmg. The other decent choice is Break Defense for the -def debuff. Switch between these based on situation. Expose Weakness is more of a PvP choice if you were having issues with Bards, but even then it won't see much use. So 99% of the time you can ignore that.

~~Special Skills:

The only really good option here is The Best Defense. It adds 1% of your damage to your Defense, which is absolutely perfect for the tanky-DPS Katar class.

||Too Tired To Think Up a Witty Title So Here, Have Some Eidolons||

The original advice for masteries also apply to Eidolons: There is no absolute right and absolute wrong (except for Gigas. That is all the wrong ever) and there is no singular "holy grail" Eidolon for Brawler/Sorc. The class is versatile, so your Eidolon choices, like your masteries, are going to be diverse and ever changing. For the most part, though, you will want one Eidolon for DPS and one Eidolon for heals or supporting you. For my DPS eidolon, I generally stick with Eligos. His -defense debuff skill and +ACC buff helps out in that department, and his damage isn't too shabby to boot. For my support Eidolon, I use Aelius and Merrilee in turn until I manage to get Vayu/Kotonoha. I am, however, one fragment away from Uzuriel so I will see how I manage with her...

So yeah. There's no absolute right/wrong here. Choose what you like, as long as it actually works for you.

||ENVOY UPDATES ARE GO||

So with the new update Envoy path, we gained two amazingly simple and easy to use greybox passives that you absolutely MUST GET. MUSTTTTT.

Unfortunately, this update means it's more difficult to manage your Envoy points successfully. Thankfully, that's why I'm here. Going against my own rules, I'm going to post my current Brawler Envoy path to show what I chose to get the essentials, as well as some possible choices you can make aside from what I currently have.

This is my current Envoy at 55. I've managed to hit the important greybox passives (the two new elemental charges that activate on every hit, both autoattack and skills), the crit damage proc, and the raw damage proc.

If you choose to follow this path either similarly or exactly, it would be a good idea to work on crit % passives next. I also suggest generally staying away from the skill update Envoys since the stat and greybox passives are, in a general sense, much better overall. But these are all suggestions; build your path to suit your needs and your personal character build~

uduxcolot

Rank 0
uduxcolot
PostedFeb 24, 2014 4:16 am
can you post overall masteries setup for this build and the reasoning ? , i found sorc as a sub is intriguing [ i have it on my rav as a sub ] was planning to use sorc but ended up using gs for the love of flare. nevertheless might want to experimenting sorc as a sub for this class.

my usual setup with /sorc as a sub is always using ashura mastery for flame impact before using demon seal - ranged filler - blood seal - closing gaps , because both comes at the same time for surprise attack, but this is just me Confused

much appreciated for the guide with this sub Smile

meechelerts4

Rank 0
PostedFeb 24, 2014 11:57 am
what eidolon do you recommend? thanks in advance...

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedFeb 24, 2014 3:58 pm
uduxcolot wrote:
can you post overall masteries setup for this build and the reasoning ? , i found sorc as a sub is intriguing [ i have it on my rav as a sub ] was planning to use sorc but ended up using gs for the love of flare. nevertheless might want to experimenting sorc as a sub for this class.

my usual setup with /sorc as a sub is always using ashura mastery for flame impact before using demon seal - ranged filler - blood seal - closing gaps , because both comes at the same time for surprise attack, but this is just me Confused

much appreciated for the guide with this sub Smile  

meechelerts4 wrote:
what eidolon do you recommend? thanks in advance...  

For both of you, I'll start editing the reserved post for both answers. So give me 30 minutes or so to finish~

STFUID

Rank 0
PostedFeb 27, 2014 1:15 pm
Thanks so much for an entertaining guide xD loved reading this.. Am actually intending to make a Sorc alt and exploring sub-classes for that but this is certainly useful

Namilman

Rank 0
Namilman
PostedFeb 27, 2014 4:55 pm
Bump. Im interested! Keep going Smile

pfgaming27

Rank 3
pfgaming27
PostedFeb 27, 2014 5:14 pm
Namilman wrote:

No need for bump since it's already stickied ^^

Server: Siren | Guild: Lumina | IGN: PF | Class: WB/GS | Level: 5X

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedFeb 27, 2014 5:17 pm
pfgaming27 wrote:
Namilman wrote:

No need for bump since it's already stickied ^^  

^This, please don't spam or bump stickied threads D:

Also to those who also made class guides, you can always ask for a sticky in class subsections if you feel you want or need one. (I never requested this one to be stickied since it's not exactly the most popular thing ever, it just happened without me realizing it ;__; )