LgtZer0e

Rank 0
PostedFeb 20, 2014 2:40 am

Katar and Duelist in PvE

Can't decide between those two
Hello,

I was wondering which class is more PvE oriented or succeeds better in PvE when it comes to playing alone or in a party. I have leveled both to 20s and have a blast with both of them, but I don't really have the time to play both classes (reason why I would prefer the one with more solo capability) and playing through the same zones twice is not really something I enjoy unless there is a long pause between the runs. So far they seem to perform similarly, I kill monsters 1 by 1 and the time it takes to kill them is not too different between classes.

I hoped that some of you higher levels could elaborate the differences between the classes when it comes to higher level gameplay or will they stay very similar all the way through unless you create differences with subclasses?

Thanks in advance,
LgtZer0e
Advertisement

Mithrindar

Rank 2
Mithrindar
PostedFeb 20, 2014 2:42 am
oh, hard to pick but i'd say Katar o3o

Goodbye~
Love, Sing, Dance, Play, Eat, Sleep,enjoy life and help your peers enjoy it too~

pfgaming27

Rank 3
pfgaming27
PostedFeb 20, 2014 2:44 am
Why not both =P

Brawlist

Server: Siren | Guild: Lumina | IGN: PF | Class: WB/GS | Level: 5X

Kenjichu

Rank 3
Kenjichu
PostedFeb 20, 2014 2:48 am
Katars ; Sustain Fighters.

Duelists : Damage Dealers

You pick.

Nudist Beach or Die.

LgtZer0e

Rank 0
PostedFeb 20, 2014 7:31 pm
Well, I kind of expected more detailed answers rather than just mentioning the other class. Like why is that class a better choice in your opinion and if it's sustain fighter (brawler) and damage dealer (duelist), I would like to know just how much the damage differs then etc. but I'm glad that even though you mentioned brawler it doesn't seem like it's clear winner. I will most likely continue brawler a bit forward then since I like the charge system even though it is pretty simplistic and katars are far more interesting and unique weapons than dual swords/daggers.

Anyways I thank you for giving me your opinion and bothering to answer my thread Smile

rainbowfruit

Rank 2
PostedFeb 20, 2014 7:35 pm
Kenjichu wrote:

You pick.  

actually i find katar to be a pretty nice dmg dealer, also katar got a few aoe skills, so i find katar more intressing.

igsmitty

Rank 0
igsmitty
PostedFeb 20, 2014 7:46 pm
rainbowfruit wrote:
Kenjichu wrote:

You pick.  

actually i find katar to be a pretty nice dmg dealer, also katar got a few aoe skills, so i find katar more intressing.  

duelist also has aoe skills and they have insane dot damage that will drop a boss really fast when all are active, imo duelist is by far the best class and most fun to play

plus with the right healer and decent build you can be unstoppable

maffayoo

Rank 0
PostedFeb 20, 2014 7:48 pm
actually I think ull find

Duelist - Sucky sucky life stealing if built full EVA with 90+%% eva ull never die in PVE or PVP

Brawler - god knows what this is id go with off tank CC single target aoe

best brawler build ive done so far level 55 is full HP around 37k hp dont die in any hells under WT and dont die in any normals that are out for 55s

Cant see how Brawler is sustain maybe the latter level at 65 i heard u can get around 70+k HP and have 75% defence then it would be a sustain damager dealer inner strength and lotus strike with 3 sky charges would sustain that for days

billysosogood

Rank 0
PostedFeb 20, 2014 9:24 pm
Duelist does way more damage than Katars. Their DoT and everything. Katars can sustain better but Duelist will outdps Katars.

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedFeb 20, 2014 10:42 pm
I've played both classes, so I'll try to do some outlining for you. Also, DPS is not the only factor in PvE; being able to survive while still dishing good dmg is very important.

KATAR PROS:

~Katar can hit capped damage reduction and a large HP pool at the same time without spending a drop of AP or LP. Duelist needs to invest in AP/LP/Achievement fortification scrolls to reach this same conclusion.

~Katar has access to two damaging HOT skills that can be stacked 3x each with very short cooldowns, pretty much giving them permanent health regeneration in combat. This is very, very useful in dungeons.

~Katar as a main class has access to the 20% damage reduction from Inner Strength. This is one of the two biggest pros to the class alongside the stackable HOTs.

~Katar as a main class gains a 15% HP boost as the starting class passive in their envoy. This means it will not take a ton of effort to build up a strong HP pool on top of their already great defensive/survivability capabilities mentioned above.

~Spammable stun! With a tiny cooldown!

KATAR CONS:

~It does not have access to the damaging DOTs that Duelist has. Shadow Strike, one of the stackable HOTs, is a DOT that stacks 3x but it is its only DOT skill.

~It does not have passive HP leech like Duelist does with Bat Fang. So unless you get lucky with Nocturnal prefixes, you will rely on Inner Strength's tiny healing pool and your HOTs for your main healing.

DUELIST PROS:

~Bat Fang + Balisong = gg with mobbing (if your squishy body doesn't turn into food for the mobs first)

~Access to a great pool of DOT moves for steady and quick DPS capabilities

~Balisong = a great AOE with a somewhat short cooldown that has decent range and also leeches HP back to you from every mob it hits/damages

DUELIST CONS:

~It is nowhere near as survivable as other classes, but specifically compared to Katar, unless you build heavily into both defense and evasion

~No natural stuns

~Its DPS is not as bursty as Katar's is. Overall Duelist has better DPS yes, but this is in part because of DOTs. In terms of pure skill damage and DPS capability, ignoring all DOTs from both classes, Katar is burstier and heavier

***This is all in general about the classes, talking about the average player and not "the best of the best" of anything. ***