Many people have said katar is a pve class, but besides one person I have failed to get any adequate replies as to why this is. I've heard quite a few mention that the class is unpopular in TW, but have yet to be actually told why. Could anyone with more insight please let me know?
Soon after I first saw katar, there were a few things that just told me this was a fairly tanky dps class, quite capable of dishing it out and taking a hit if needed. I'll list a few of the reasons why so those against katar in pvp have something to counter.
- Constant 20% damage reduction: Katar's skill, Inner Strength, provides 20% damage reduction for 20 seconds to Katar mains with a mere 6 second CD. It includes a heal and a charge using buff to evade and crit for 10 seconds which is an added extra. Sure, guardian has access to phalanx for 30% and static (believe that's the term) damage reduction, and I have to agree that is certainly better defensively, but it forces them to cap speed and they lack in some other areas. I'm also not a fan of the playstyle, but that's a personal problem.
- Bucket loads of health: After the weapon bonus and envoy path, most katar mains will have at least 24-29% health.
- Bucket loads of Crit: Without using the one Weak Point Analysis 1, Katar has 19.6 Crit from envoy. I have 55% crit at lvl 43, admittedly with craftable gear and some stat points invested in crit (which I plan to reinvest later most likely), but I still have 6.4 Crit to grab from my envoy path.
- Second best gap closer in game: Blitz falls short of wizard's instant thunder due to lack of an aoe and .5 seconds less stun time. However, it has less cool down and less animation (I believe).
- Passive debuff cleanse: For this alone I would consider an evade build on a katar main. Even if the opponent has high accuracy, they'll likely miss every now and then. Due to this and high health, katar has very little to worry about from DoTs.
- Unreleased sea and fire runes: Yes, we do not have these at the moment, but once we do they will add fairly consistent extra DMG, accuracy, evade, and 5% more damage reduction.
I'm not being sarcastic or negative in some other way here. Please let me know what things I have overlooked that make main katar not viable in pvp.
1. Katar in PvP usually Build EVA because it syncs SO well with the envoy tree (Now sure if they have this now, but they get it later if they dont: 50% Chance to get rid of a negative status effect when you dodge).
-They do not have this right now, so it makes eva building pointless.
-If they EVA build -20% DMG is alright, but all you have to do is DoT the katar. You cannot dodge DoTs once they are on you, NOR does -DMG effect it. Therefore, the -20% DMG is counter-productive for a PvP built Katar.
-Futuristically, we get ACC PvP weapons (lv 60) within a months time. It's pretty much a dead build and makes you squishy.
2. The case Katar is HP/DEF built for PvP.... it just relies on ultimate skills to kill ppl. It honestly doesn't do enough damage or have proper CC to do anything in combination with its LONG animation hang times. The HP is also irrelevant and just makes you die a bit slower.
-Other classes can use 3+ skills by the time swift finishes.
-You are counter building cleanse, which is REALLY good for PvP, yet both end up as dead builds.
3. Stun dashes ARE NOT the best dashes in the game. There are other dashes, but none are the best. They are useful in their own way. Why?
A stun dash is a LOCKED dash which makes it ALL the more predictable & easy to counter.
This means you can trap/totem/free-form/Stun Dash/, to counter them because you know ppl will start off with them. If you dash into a trap, you're F'N screwed. Trades will come off even (despite 2.5s vs 3s) and if they ulti it, you're gonna get punished.
Not to mention, what does Katar do after they stun? That depends on the sub, and most likely the ult upgraders will ult. If the person survives.. You will get punished.
4. The runes for Katar are mainly PvE Focused -> Stackable non-debuffs. This means you have to do more to stack your crap up, and that doesn't generally happen in Arena or Duels.
Overall Melee classes are pretty gimped for duels and PvP, especially once ACC is obtained. To beat Katar, you Trade or Counter with their stun, and they have NOTHING left (except ults).
Knockbacks and other soft CCs will easily disrupt their motion and leave them to die, despite their sustain, and many PvP class combinations will shut it down, regardless of sub.
It's not that they are a bad class, they just under-perform in duels and Arena because they are sustain fighters, who lack the sustain of a bard, and are not the super tanky-reflecting guardians.
Ults will be their tool to win, or you just out-gear the other player to a significant extent.
They also won't be bad vs every combination of players. They will be alright vs a lot of combinations, but vs renowned PvPers and PvP Class combinations, they will fall short.
(Not to mention future Innates...)