gamersoulmule

Rank 0
PostedFeb 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Good subclass for Gunslinger?

Hey guys!
New player to AK and I'm really looking forward to it! Anyways, I have my gunslinger picked out and I was just wondering if you guys could help me determine a subclass?

Because this is my first character, I tend to PVE for the whole game and (wondering if people could tell me about PVP? Like do you gain exp from PVP and does it apply to PVE self?) So which is a good subclass to use for gunslinger?

I'm down to

Bard - I hear it's very good for soloing dungeons which I think will happen if I cant find a group
Sorcerer - Just because range and DPS
Wizard - Just because rangeand DPS
Grenadier - ROCKETS TURRETS Smile
Advertisement

jotasnake

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
jotasnake
PostedFeb 04, 2014 4:59 pm
From what i see the popular choice is grenadier. Sorc and Duelist are also regular choices we see with this class.

Not a big fan of Wiz as a dual class, it looses all the power when the cooldown of the skills gets too high. Might be a good sub class for bard, to attack whenever you're not busy healing, but for any other main class i don't think it works well.

Sorc is a great secondary class for pretty much all classes as it offers tons of debuffs and dots which help you become a better dpser.

Not so sure on what the duelist combo brings to the table, possibly it has to do with the fact guns focus their attack mainly with their traps and therefore spend most of the time close range with monsters.

oAxel

Rank 0
oAxel
PostedFeb 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Sixaxis

Rank 3
Sixaxis
PostedFeb 04, 2014 8:04 pm
Lmao@Axel.

I'll leave my Sorc opinion here (Pulled it from the past threads where people asked about Sorc sub):
Yess, it is. I, king of the GunSorcs, shall lead you onto the path of righteousness!

What is a GunSorc?
A GunSorc is a DPS-Support class. Combining the high-DPS output of the 'Slinger with the double-debuffs of the Sorc, you can handle a wide variety of situations and get a target down faster than any other ranged class, with a better rate of survival!

Why don't I just go Sorc/Gun?
The cooldown rates of the subclass skills is roughly three times their original cooldown. You will not be spamming your Sorc skills (Minus the one stackable DoT), as you only want them for their DoT effects. Your Gunslinger skills are the ones you should spam as they have higher damage, shorter cooldowns, and you can actually move while casting them. Ontop of this, you will not receive the shield buff from your traps as that only works if your Main class is Gunslinger.

How are they in PvE?
You'll have no problems dealing with Normal/Elite monsters, and the same goes for Bosses if you use strategy. Simply staying at a mid-range distance and spamming Aimed Shot, Bombardment, and Sonic Boom after using Demon Seal and/or Blood Seal is the usual routine. After the boss uses its red-area AOE skill, quickly run into it and place both traps (Frost, then Dark) underneath it immediately, then distance yourself again and resume shooting. This will drop the boss faster, especially in parties. The skill Decoy will allow you to hypnotize an enemy Normal/Elite monster and have it attack nearby enemies, while taunting them so they're forced to attack it until the hypnotism wears off or until the target dies; a very good emergency skill. Sleep Totem is very good for crowd control as there is no limit to how many targets it puts to sleep, and Rejuvenation Mantra is your average HoT that doubles as a debuff remover for you and your party-- a great tactic when used with Blood Seal while kiting a boss monster. Overall, you have more versatility than any other subclass would give!

How are they in PvP? You will wreck all melee classes, very often. The only exceptions to this are:
1) They greatly outgear you.
2) You have little to no Accuracy stat'd on your gears while they have high Evasion.
3) They get into close-range of you and immobilize/stun you (This one doesn't happen often with good Move Speed and keeping Aimed Shot on them, but Ravagers will accomplish this the most).

Against ranged classes, it's a hit or miss. You get the sleep totem on them and then follow up with the two traps,and they're dead. They do the same, or stun you and follow up with crit hits, and you're dead. The main downside here is that a Ranged class isn't going to just walk into your trap (Not in a 1v1 anyway), and it's going to be hard to get close to them to Sleep Totem, especially if they have a stun ready. In this case, it's best to just cast a frost trap underneath you for the Shield buff and then do as much DPS as possible without trying to chase after them.

How should I build my gear and place my stats?
I don't believe in a perfect build, so you should feel free to use what you see fit. But for my build, I run DMG/CRIT/HP gears with all my Offensive points to SPD and my defensive to HP. GunSorc is a very fun class once you get the hang of it, and it always feel good to be more than just a 'DPS' in parties. If it interests you, don't hesitate to give it a go!

gamersoulmule

Rank 0
PostedFeb 04, 2014 8:28 pm
Sixaxis wrote:
Lmao@Axel.

I'll leave my Sorc opinion here (Pulled it from the past threads where people asked about Sorc sub):
Yess, it is. I, king of the GunSorcs, shall lead you onto the path of righteousness!

What is a GunSorc?
A GunSorc is a DPS-Support class. Combining the high-DPS output of the 'Slinger with the double-debuffs of the Sorc, you can handle a wide variety of situations and get a target down faster than any other ranged class, with a better rate of survival!

Why don't I just go Sorc/Gun?
The cooldown rates of the subclass skills is roughly three times their original cooldown. You will not be spamming your Sorc skills (Minus the one stackable DoT), as you only want them for their DoT effects. Your Gunslinger skills are the ones you should spam as they have higher damage, shorter cooldowns, and you can actually move while casting them. Ontop of this, you will not receive the shield buff from your traps as that only works if your Main class is Gunslinger.

How are they in PvE?
You'll have no problems dealing with Normal/Elite monsters, and the same goes for Bosses if you use strategy. Simply staying at a mid-range distance and spamming Aimed Shot, Bombardment, and Sonic Boom after using Demon Seal and/or Blood Seal is the usual routine. After the boss uses its red-area AOE skill, quickly run into it and place both traps (Frost, then Dark) underneath it immediately, then distance yourself again and resume shooting. This will drop the boss faster, especially in parties. The skill Decoy will allow you to hypnotize an enemy Normal/Elite monster and have it attack nearby enemies, while taunting them so they're forced to attack it until the hypnotism wears off or until the target dies; a very good emergency skill. Sleep Totem is very good for crowd control as there is no limit to how many targets it puts to sleep, and Rejuvenation Mantra is your average HoT that doubles as a debuff remover for you and your party-- a great tactic when used with Blood Seal while kiting a boss monster. Overall, you have more versatility than any other subclass would give!

How are they in PvP? You will wreck all melee classes, very often. The only exceptions to this are:
1) They greatly outgear you.
2) You have little to no Accuracy stat'd on your gears while they have high Evasion.
3) They get into close-range of you and immobilize/stun you (This one doesn't happen often with good Move Speed and keeping Aimed Shot on them, but Ravagers will accomplish this the most).

Against ranged classes, it's a hit or miss. You get the sleep totem on them and then follow up with the two traps,and they're dead. They do the same, or stun you and follow up with crit hits, and you're dead. The main downside here is that a Ranged class isn't going to just walk into your trap (Not in a 1v1 anyway), and it's going to be hard to get close to them to Sleep Totem, especially if they have a stun ready. In this case, it's best to just cast a frost trap underneath you for the Shield buff and then do as much DPS as possible without trying to chase after them.

How should I build my gear and place my stats?
I don't believe in a perfect build, so you should feel free to use what you see fit. But for my build, I run DMG/CRIT/HP gears with all my Offensive points to SPD and my defensive to HP. GunSorc is a very fun class once you get the hang of it, and it always feel good to be more than just a 'DPS' in parties. If it interests you, don't hesitate to give it a go!  

Wow! Thanks so much for your input and I greatly appreciate it, just wondering but how is the survivability? I know that with a GunBard, you can have your own heals as with Wizards? Will I have troubles especially as a new player surviving? But basically, the ideal behind the class is to start a fight with the sorc debuffs and then just go back into the regular gun attacks and only use the sorc debuffs on cooldown?

Sechari

Rank 1
PostedFeb 05, 2014 3:24 am
Please don't worry about finding a group. Guns are always welcome in most groups as they're a great dps class. A bard subclass would bog you down since it's usefulness is completely negated once you *are* in a group and it'll make me, as a group-leader less likely to accept you. From this standpoint I don't care what your sub is as long as it's not guardian or, to a lesser extend, bard.
Also, downside to a sorc subclass is that you're considerably less effective if there's a main sorc in your group. So you're either the hero or your subclass is kind of useless (the debuff part of the attacks only applies once, so a higher lvl sorc casting the same attack will overwrite your debuff). Don't let that deter you if you've by now fallen in love with the sorc subclass since it'll still be alright, but it's definitely something to consider!

Sixaxis

Rank 3
Sixaxis
PostedFeb 05, 2014 6:54 am
gamersoulmule wrote:

Wow! Thanks so much for your input and I greatly appreciate it, just wondering but how is the survivability? I know that with a GunBard, you can have your own heals as with Wizards? Will I have troubles especially as a new player surviving?  

Trust me, you do 'not' want to go Bard as a subclass unless you're trying to make some type of solo character (And this is not a solo-type game).

But basically, the ideal behind the class is to start a fight with the sorc debuffs and then just go back into the regular gun attacks and only use the sorc debuffs on cooldown?  

Correct. As for survivability, you have a 12 second Party HoT, and 1 of your DoT's doubles as a debuff and HoT:

Of course, the only time I ever bother using the Sorc Debuff skills is when I'm fighting the boss or a player. Blood Seal: For PvE while Demon Seal: For PvP. Nightmare Totem for both.

zTriggerHappy

Rank 1
zTriggerHappy
PostedFeb 05, 2014 11:35 am
Sub wizard is cool. :c

Wizziw

Rank 0
PostedFeb 07, 2014 9:41 am
Sechari wrote:
Please don't worry about finding a group. Guns are always welcome in most groups as they're a great dps class. A bard subclass would bog you down since it's usefulness is completely negated once you *are* in a group and it'll make me, as a group-leader less likely to accept you. From this standpoint I don't care what your sub is as long as it's not guardian or, to a lesser extend, bard.
Also, downside to a sorc subclass is that you're considerably less effective if there's a main sorc in your group. So you're either the hero or your subclass is kind of useless (the debuff part of the attacks only applies once, so a higher lvl sorc casting the same attack will overwrite your debuff). Don't let that deter you if you've by now fallen in love with the sorc subclass since it'll still be alright, but it's definitely something to consider!  

Pff this guy have no idea

qawsar

Rank 5
qawsar
PostedFeb 07, 2014 9:51 am
The choice isn't that hard.
Pick a sub class that helps with what you lack, and improves what you do have.
Your a crit master, with really high acc on Aim Shot. You don't have a stun.
Pick a class that helps with crit, and offers a good stun.