ChainYoyo

Rank 0
PostedJan 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Secondary class

What should i pick for my subclass, i know there are different types like Tank, DPS and ext.
Advertisement

Nethernal

Rank 0
Nethernal
PostedJan 30, 2014 9:19 pm
It depends on the playstyle you want. There's quite a few different guides if you look in this section of the forum. I myself have a Guardian/Ravager guide (click picture in signature) if you want to look into that.

The most used sub-classes tend to be Ravager, Duelist or Bard. There are others though such as Gunslinger and Sorcerer that I have seen.

Shailfire

Rank 2
Shailfire
PostedJan 31, 2014 4:27 am
Bard is the cookie cutter subclass that's useful for leveling/luring but gets less useful as you go on in levels.

Ravager is good for aoe/cleave and whatnot, but is lacking in defensive/healing/single target.

Gunslinger is good for pvp/pve(with appropriate funding/gear) but lacks in self healing/defense(provides ranged/burst and utility, and decent dps)

Sorcerer is a noticeable DPS increase, and has great utility for both pvp/pve, lures, self healing, minor aoe, good single target, not much in the way of defense. Ranged

Wizard - burst/dps, ranged stun/leap(more useful than you'd think) and very minor self healing, ok single target and amazing AoE, not much in the way of defense.

Grenadier - very minor potential healing(for party!) hands free dps increase + ranged/utility, not much for defense.

Duelist - decent single target DPS w/ dots you can easily stack, low survivability, has a distance closer but otherwise no ranged, minor to no self healing or AoE

Imo, for PVE, Sorcerer and Gunslinger are pretty decent choices, while bard is better for low end pve or running without bards, but tends to be less impressive later on, ravager is fun/useful in certain situations but doesn't "shine", Wizard is good for pvp/burst aoe, Grenadier is unique and possibly fun, Duelist would be decent DPS and you usually won't have to worry about main class duelists competing with you in debuffs/dots(since they die/aren't invited to parties v_v)

Note that just about any class combo can be useful with the right gear, but as a slow melee tank, the things I find myself lacking aren't defense, but self healing, ranged, and burst. Most tanks want to get melee for fullturtledeathmode but there are often times*coughzaahir* where meleeing, even as a tank, isn't the best of choices.

"Kirito does the best dps from behind!" IceCreamMan - Guardian (Siren) 6#

ChainYoyo

Rank 0
PostedJan 31, 2014 10:50 am
Shailfire wrote:
Bard is the cookie cutter subclass that's useful for leveling/luring but gets less useful as you go on in levels.

Ravager is good for aoe/cleave and whatnot, but is lacking in defensive/healing/single target.

Gunslinger is good for pvp/pve(with appropriate funding/gear) but lacks in self healing/defense(provides ranged/burst and utility, and decent dps)

Sorcerer is a noticeable DPS increase, and has great utility for both pvp/pve, lures, self healing, minor aoe, good single target, not much in the way of defense. Ranged

Wizard - burst/dps, ranged stun/leap(more useful than you'd think) and very minor self healing, ok single target and amazing AoE, not much in the way of defense.

Grenadier - very minor potential healing(for party!) hands free dps increase + ranged/utility, not much for defense.

Duelist - decent single target DPS w/ dots you can easily stack, low survivability, has a distance closer but otherwise no ranged, minor to no self healing or AoE

Imo, for PVE, Sorcerer and Gunslinger are pretty decent choices, while bard is better for low end pve or running without bards, but tends to be less impressive later on, ravager is fun/useful in certain situations but doesn't "shine", Wizard is good for pvp/burst aoe, Grenadier is unique and possibly fun, Duelist would be decent DPS and you usually won't have to worry about main class duelists competing with you in debuffs/dots(since they die/aren't invited to parties v_v)

Note that just about any class combo can be useful with the right gear, but as a slow melee tank, the things I find myself lacking aren't defense, but self healing, ranged, and burst. Most tanks want to get melee for fullturtledeathmode but there are often times*coughzaahir* where meleeing, even as a tank, isn't the best of choices.  

I am thinking about going with Sorcerer as my subclass after reading this.

R_e_i

Rank 2
R_e_i
PostedJan 31, 2014 11:24 am
Sorc isn't a bad choice. It's more of a PvP dueling choice than anything else, though. IT does hold its own in PVE, but it scales VERY poorly in PvP Arena (5v5) and stuff.

ChainYoyo

Rank 0
PostedFeb 01, 2014 7:58 pm
R_e_i wrote:
Sorc isn't a bad choice. It's more of a PvP dueling choice than anything else, though. IT does hold its own in PVE, but it scales VERY poorly in PvP Arena (5v5) and stuff.  
I am more of a PVE type of player, so this ain't bad. imo

R_e_i

Rank 2
R_e_i
PostedFeb 01, 2014 8:17 pm
ChainYoyo wrote:
R_e_i wrote:
I am more of a PVE type of player, so this ain't bad. imo  

Sorc sub is worthless if you have a bard/sorc with you (which most of them are)... just a heads up.

iKingTank

Rank 2
iKingTank
PostedFeb 01, 2014 8:41 pm
Shailfire wrote:

Guard/Bard is a cookie cutter of what? who? why?

Are you delusional?

Shailfire

Rank 2
Shailfire
PostedFeb 01, 2014 9:22 pm
iKingTank wrote:

Are you delusional?  

Exactly what I said, bard sub is the most commonly used sub for Guard, it's unoriginal and is generally seen as the cookie cutter build "oh I can tank AND heal? Well that must make me a badass!" while it's true that, by yourself, your survivability increases by quite alot, with a good bard in your group, you should be making little to no use of your bard sub unless you're luring. There are plenty of excuses that say otherwise but most of them revolve around "what ifs" I personally dislike bard sub, if you want to defend it unto your dying breath then be my guest, although if you intend to convince me it's worth getting you're going to have a hard time.

"Kirito does the best dps from behind!" IceCreamMan - Guardian (Siren) 6#

iKingTank

Rank 2
iKingTank
PostedFeb 01, 2014 9:57 pm
Shailfire wrote:
iKingTank wrote:

Are you delusional?  

Exactly what I said, bard sub is the most commonly used sub for Guard, it's unoriginal and is generally seen as the cookie cutter build "oh I can tank AND heal? Well that must make me a badass!" while it's true that, by yourself, your survivability increases by quite alot, with a good bard in your group, you should be making little to no use of your bard sub unless you're luring. There are plenty of excuses that say otherwise but most of them revolve around "what ifs" I personally dislike bard sub, if you want to defend it unto your dying breath then be my guest, although if you intend to convince me it's worth getting you're going to have a hard time.  

Im not convincing someone thats obviously delusional, I dont see where you get your sources from that guard/bard is the most played because I in game see a mix of everything.

What are you saying "oh i can tank AND heal"?? your a tank your supposed to stay alive as much as possible. Shouldnt it be "Oh i can tank and DPS" im a badass!! because tanks are not supposed to dps? i mean that would make more sense right? im not hating on any subclass you are free to do what you want but calling it a cookie cutter class because its the goal of the class? havent seen that in a game oh well.

Ima go make a wiz gunslinger and only support because dpsing is being a cookie cutter.