BlackPressure

Rank 0
BlackPressure
PostedJan 25, 2014 9:53 am   Last edited by BlackPressure on Jan 26, 2014 11:53 am. Edited 1 time in total

DarSīs SwordMage (Duelist/Wizard)

Hello im DarS, you might know me from my Due/Guardian guide. I have switched my sub since then for multiple reasons which dont matter for this guide.
I am a level 60 Duelist on Hydra

Strengths:
Extremly high dps, good aoe and incredible single target.

Good solo class, high damage and multiple healing sources.

Very versatile, you can kite people that beat you in melee and chase people that beat you in range.

Good in pvp (Once Dream State gets fixed)

Weaknesses:
Everybody hates you, including other players and dungeon bosses, people dont like melee dps since most dungeons give them quite a hard time.

Very hard to play, if you do a single mistake you will likely end up dieing.

Pulls aggro alot of times if played correctly.

Overhyped and thus gear is overpriced.

Toto.

Now lets start off by gear, you should try to go for everything with crit and dmg and of course critdmg since its 2 in 1! (Yeah it doesnt work like that but you still need it tho).
Im currently using a full aria set, cursed scimtars (crafted lvl 50 weapon) comet set and yellow lvl 50 wiz staff. Im also using crafted totos tusks and totos blade as trophys.

In terms of attributes you should go for HP in defense and CRIT in offense, completly.
You need HP because you will want to survive 1 shot burst attacks from bosses like Burn Rush from Unicorn, everything from Toto and there are multiple other ones that are likely to kill you if you go for def instead.

If you want to go for pvp (which i dont recomment until Dream State is fixed) you should go full CRIT and full EVA, but dont expect to find dgn groups with that build, i see alot of people kicking eva duelists because they end up permadead on bosses in wt Hard.

Masteries

I use the extra Crit rate on Slashing Cut since i have about 300% critdmg, in lowlvl the dot on cracking slash is better tho. (I would recommend the stun on fireball for pvp)

I use extra dmg while in Purple Lightning.

I use crit rate + crit dmg. (I would recommend 10% chance to deal extra dmg in pvp since it will probably lend you some lucky kills but in terms of dps over a extended period of time like bossfights this one is better)

I use -10% def on hit.

I use 3% Eva and 5% mvmspeed (though i only use that for the mvmspeed, if i get serious you should go for +maxhp and -dmg taken)

I use +dmg - malice for maximum damageoutput though the -malice is kinda wasted, you will draw aggro anyway if youre not undergeared or play wrong.

Envoy Path

Rotation

Our rotation for groups is: Meteor-Deadly Wink-Ice Storm-Dancing Balisong-Deadly Wink-Storm Curse-Eidol combo-Dancing Balisong-Deadly Wink (If you think it will take more than 5 seconds to kill them feel free to use purple lightning)

Normal monsters: Instant Thunder/Whirling Slash(if instant thunder is on cd)-Snowflower-Deadly Wink-Slash Cut

Bosses: Purple Lightning-Deadly Wink-Cross Slash-Slashing Cut-Snowflower-Deadly Wink-Cross Slash-Slash Cut-Deadly Wink-Slash Cut-Snowflower-Deadly Wink

The general idea is to get as many Deadly Wink as possible off (Preferably after Snowflower) since this is our main nuke, for AoE Wizard spells are really useful and for bosses Cross Slash is insane.

PvP: Same as normal monsters, however note that you have to gapcloser whenever you are out of range and try to immobilize/Stun them whenever you can (Stuns have a internal cd of 30 seconds on players, they will get a buff that will make them immune to it, however this does not apply to immobi and of course doesnt matter if you switch targets.

Always remember: Snowflower + Deadly Wink is enough to kill most ranged classes provided you hit.

FAQ:

Q:Why are you Duelist/Wizard and not Duelist/Sorc?

A: First of all, Sorc debuffs dont stack meaning in groups if you have another sorc your whole subclass is basically useless, however aoe burst of course does stack. Wizards also have a gapcloser+stun in 1 skill (dont ask me why Wizards have a gapcloser i dont know!) and a spammable stun on Fireball provided you take the mastery. Their AoE is also far superiour to Sorcs AoE which is the only form of damage we arent very good in (though its still not that bad)

Q: Im getting oneshotted in Candeo Core/Wrathborne Temple/Infernal Abyss, pls halp!

A: The best thing you can do to avoid this is to wear elemental resistance gear, i use it too, i have 5 different chest armors just to deal with Infernal Abyss and Wrathborne Temple, always remember to look at the skills of the enemy (click on them and right besides their level is a sword, click it and you see the abilitys of the enemy, there you can also see which element they are and if you check youre misc you can see what always kills you and try to wear the right resistance)

Q: Im getting rekt by Gunslingers that stay on their traps until i charge them, what do i do?

A: Contrary to the popular believe their traps only immobi you, they do not stun. Which means you can use rejuv prayer once you step on it, and will be set free, after that just use Instant Thunder (be sure to use Whirling Slash to start off so you dont waste the cd on instant thunder) and Snowflower/Deadly Wink them until they die. Once Dream State gets fixed they cant do much against us anyway.
Advertisement

HellExplorer

Rank 1
HellExplorer
PostedJan 25, 2014 2:05 pm
I always think about a Duelist/Wiz before but then I chose Sor sub for more DoT. Good guide, however, there is something that I think is incorrect:
-The gap for stun/immobile is 30s per time, not 10s I think
-Immobile is affected by that gap too, only Sleep is not - I tested with Shadow Bolt on my friend, he still can move when I immobiled him after 19seconds. (but sleep has so long cd as sub class)

In addition, I agree that the Ice Trap from Gunslinger is not a problem as Wiz or Sor can cure it, just the Dark Trap is terrible with huge DoT dmg, also Aimed Shot hit hard (especially lvl50 gold pistol +50% Aimed Shot crit dmg)

BlackPressure

Rank 0
BlackPressure
PostedJan 25, 2014 3:03 pm
Will edit the duration did not know that, however if you get into melee range of a gunslinger no dot or aimed shot in the world is gonna save them

Zokari771

Rank 2
Zokari771
PostedJan 25, 2014 3:15 pm
BlackPressure wrote:
Will edit the duration did not know that, however if you get into melee range of a gunslinger no dot or aimed shot in the world is gonna save them  

You seem to be forgetting about Frost Trap's immobilize. Granted if you use Instant Thunder they'll be stunned regardless but a Gunslinger will most likely have a sub that has their own stun to use to counter yours, such as Cannon Salvo from Grenadier as a personal example. Well there's no point discussing all potential sub-class counters since it could go on for days, but don't forget most Gunslingers in PvP (I think) will likely go full EVA, which means if you miss any of your skills that's the damage gone, the DoT left unapplied and an extra second to either escape or use skills. Once again as a personal example, my Aimed Shot deals 268% critical damage and with your DEF you'll probably see maybe two of those before you drop to the floor, disregarding any of my DMG/Crit DMG buffs.

Not saying this isn't a good guide, but Gunslingers can survive better than you might think. Razz

BlackPressure

Rank 0
BlackPressure
PostedJan 25, 2014 5:31 pm
If i count the dual blades only crit dmg and snowflower i got over 300% critdmg which basically means if snowflower and deadly wink connect you are dead. You did not completly read my post i guess because rejuvenating prayer cleanses the immobi off of you and vs a gunslinger you start off with whirling dance which i also said in the guide. Also if i would go for pvp i would be full eva which means 95% with born of desperation. Vs most Gunslinger i just end up whirling dance into the trap, cleanse it off with prayer then instant thunder snowflower deadly wink if they still live ice curse whirling dance another deadly wink. Besides with the next patch dream state gets fixed and then gunslinger can say goodbye to the idea of beating duelists anyway.

MrRaven.

Legendary Founder: Scarlet Blade
MrRaven.
PostedJan 25, 2014 5:33 pm
You used evasion as a defense in PvP. You already lost that argument.

Zokari771

Rank 2
Zokari771
PostedJan 25, 2014 5:45 pm
BlackPressure wrote:
If i count the dual blades only crit dmg and snowflower i got over 300% critdmg which basically means if snowflower and deadly wink connect you are dead. You did not completly read my post i guess because rejuvenating prayer cleanses the immobi off of you and vs a gunslinger you start off with whirling dance which i also said in the guide. Also if i would go for pvp i would be full eva which means 95% with born of desperation. Vs most Gunslinger i just end up whirling dance into the trap, cleanse it off with prayer then instant thunder snowflower deadly wink if they still live ice curse whirling dance another deadly wink. Besides with the next patch dream state gets fixed and then gunslinger can say goodbye to the idea of beating duelists anyway.  

Seems you didn't completely read my post either; for starters you're taking into account your main and sub class and using it as an argument against a single main class, which doesn't make any sense. Secondly a Gunslinger is likely to have a stun or perhaps even the Nightmare Totem as a sub-skill if he plans to pvp, because a Gunslinger with only one CC is not going to last very long unless he happens to go against people who are easily kited, meaning that you'll cleanse over the immobilize and then you'll take a stun or sleep to your face and be out of commission for however long it'll last. Also in regards to evasion, Aimed Shot gets a mastery with a 25% ACC increase, and that's without the upgrade for it so that's a good chunk of your evasion gone; and due to your low DEF you'll most likely drop before stun/nightmare totem wears off. Oh and I didn't even mention ACC+ skill stones either, but that's because I'm basing it off skills and masteries alone, since you could also counter the argument with "well I'll just use EVA stones".

I can't remember exactly what Dream State does so you'll have to refresh my memory on that, but if it's as good as you say it is then I've no doubt that you'll be able to kill Gunslingers easily, although that's not exactly a difficult feat to accomplish as an assassin type class. Smile

BlackPressure

Rank 0
BlackPressure
PostedJan 26, 2014 3:22 am
Evasion is the strongest defensive stat in pvp for the single reason that it also avoids bonus effects of the spell you dodge like CC. Dream State is supposed to proc on disables like immobi stun and sleep and reduce damage taken by 75% for 6 seconds, no cooldown.
In other versions of the game you see duelists usually go full eva just because it avoids CC, i dont see why i lose the discussion just because i use knowledge from people that are way ahead of us. Just to be clear i didnt mean to be offensive or anything and i totally agree that duelist is an assassin like class and should (on equal skill and gear) win against rangeds and lose vs melees.
While i did not take the subclass of the guns into account there is no class in the game with more cc than the wizard, its the main reason i chose it, sorcs have sleep and immobi while wizards have 2 stuns immobi and a slow.

Zokari771

Rank 2
Zokari771
PostedJan 26, 2014 5:33 am
BlackPressure wrote:
Evasion is the strongest defensive stat in pvp for the single reason that it also avoids bonus effects of the spell you dodge like CC. Dream State is supposed to proc on disables like immobi stun and sleep and reduce damage taken by 75% for 6 seconds, no cooldown.
In other versions of the game you see duelists usually go full eva just because it avoids CC, i dont see why i lose the discussion just because i use knowledge from people that are way ahead of us. Just to be clear i didnt mean to be offensive or anything and i totally agree that duelist is an assassin like class and should (on equal skill and gear) win against rangeds and lose vs melees.
While i did not take the subclass of the guns into account there is no class in the game with more cc than the wizard, its the main reason i chose it, sorcs have sleep and immobi while wizards have 2 stuns immobi and a slow.  

Oh no don't worry you didn't offend me or anything, I just wanted to point out some things you'd missed out on. But yeah I can see Wizard complimenting Duelist immensely for PvP due to multiple stuns which Duelist doesn't get, and the immobilize is nice, can definitely see this class combo being a problem for me in the future. Razz

idiocracy2ex

Rank 0
idiocracy2ex
PostedJan 26, 2014 10:21 am
What are your thoughts on Bestial Argus's Dragon Heart?