fenix2087

Rank 0
fenix2087
PostedJan 10, 2014 10:05 pm   Last edited by fenix2087 on Feb 20, 2014 6:33 am. Edited 34 times in total

DUELIST!

A simple starter Guide

Introduction

Sup All! I decided to make this guide as a tool for helping new players gain the basic understanding for this class and also encourage veteran players to put more info and tips into it! (give and take)
Hopefully this guide will serve its purpose and gains more helpful and better infos later on

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Class

Duelist - your typical assassin/rogue class!(wanna be Kirito!). Has great mobility/evasive skills and an expert on single target dps

Pros:
- User Friendly class! easy to use and good looking too! dem dual blades!
- Has the best DoT skill in the game (in terms of PVE dps - good against tanky classes in PVP)
- Has a low cooldown life leech skill/self heal (very usefull in PVE and PVP)- though the skill should not miss for it to work
- Has one of the best passive Abilities in terms of PVP (sadly though 1 of the passive is not currently working)

Cons:
- Long Skill Animations (any grenadier/gunslinger can do their skills 1sec faster than you with same DMG)
- Low HP class and Squishy (especially if your full Eva Build... can easily die on Boss AoE on Hard modes)
- Very limited Utility skills (first time for a rogue/sin class that dont have Stun/sleep/slow skill)
- Very Popular class causing Blades to be overpriced! cmon! (you see many of your kind running around too... dem Kiritos!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skills

Slash Cut - Low CD skill that reduces target's defense (you can add a DoT effect or 10% crit rate on this from your ultimate skill passive) 1.5sec-2sec skill animation and can move while doin the skill

Cross Slash
- Low CD skill that has 12sec DoT that stacks up to 5 times (this is your best dps skill especially on bosses! keep 5 stacks on em!... you can extend DoT duration by 3sec with ultimate... though 12sec is enough... use other ones) 2sec-2.5sec skill animation and can move while doin skill

Note: first 2 skill is already good enough to spam alternatively for skill rotation (lazy button mashing)... though there are better rotations that utilizes the +75% crit dmg of snowflower...

Sunrise Snowflower
- does decent dmg... but what makes this skill so amazing is the +75% crit dmg buff it gives for the next skill that do critical or til 60sec buff runs out + skill animation is very fast! 0.8sec-1sec skill animation and can move while doin the skill

Purple Lightning
- your self buff skill which only last for 20sec giving you 20% mspeed and +crit and +20% Damage Reduction!... when this is active your Whirling Dance will have slow effect and your Deadly Wink will have a DoT

Whirling Dance - very good charging skill (especially in pvp)

Deadly Wink - your highest normal dmging skill (with larger aoe) only disadvantage on this skill is it has 1.5sec-2sec skill animation and you cant move on that duration (very dangerous when you use it while BoSS is casting its AoE skill... so use wisely) - TIP: use this skill while on Air/Jumping will let you move while performing it! very cool!... also applies to any skill that stucks you in place

Dancing Balisong - one of the very usefull skill for duelist in pvp/pve (has same aoe range with Deadly Wink and can heal you based on the number of targets you hitted on it) 2sec-2.5sec skill animation and can move while doin the skill

Shadow Brand - your pt buff skill which gives +EVA (uses shadowcraft badge... can be bought at grocers for 1g and 42silver each)

Stats Allocation

Attack Stat:
DMG = 0.35% each point
SPEED = 0.30% each point
CRIT = 0.25% each point

Defensive Stat:
HP = 0.58% each point
DEF = 0.20% each point
EVA = 0.25% each point

Stat Maximum Cap
Defense Damage Reduction 75%
Other Damage Reduction 75% - you get this from card enhance/pvp gears/skills/envoy
Critical Hit Chance 100%
Critical Hit Damage 300%
Hit Rate (Accuracy) 75%
Evasion 95%
Reflect 95%
Speed 50%

Note: stat building is abit complex in this game... since your stat build will greatly rely on how you fully customize your toon (considering what sub class you get and the stats you prioritize on stones/envoy path/gears)... so ill just give the Builds ive tried so far and give a lil input/comment on it

Pure CRIT/EVA stat build
- very high crit rate and evade! can reach up to 50% crit and 80% evade with standard gears/envoy path
- most common build that works pretty well in PVP and PVE
- Very low HP if you dont compensate it with your gears (easily die on Hard modes if you dont avoid the big red aoes)
- prioritize +crit dmg gears/envoy skill to further boost your awesome crits (default crit multiplier is x1.45 and max crit multiplier is x3)
- very hard to hit in PVP (1v1 same lvl)... higher lvl than you can easily ignore some of your EVA stat though

Note: Boss AoE Red Carpets ignores Evade... you need to manually dodge it!... Also AOE skill and Ultimate Skill from players has very high HIT rate, so those are your weakness in terms of PVP as EVA build

Pure DMG/EVA stat build
- very low HP same as above
- Lower Crit rate but with High Constant Damage
- Your DMG stat greatly Scales later in the game (especially with +10-20 lvl50 Weapons)
- Can Prioritize other Stats suchs as Acc%/HP%/Crit% on gears without worrying much of lowering your consistent dmg (unlike crit build who relie much on +Crit multiplier)

Pure DMG or Crit/HP Build

- same as the 2 previous builds... only difference is the considerable amount of HP your will have which will give your More Survivability on Boss AoE skills
- in PVP...though you have higher HP... you are now prone to HiTs!

Pure Crit/Def Build
- popular build for the richer players! coz with +10-20 armor set you can get up to 60-65% dmg reduction or can even reach 75% Def Cap later on
- eva is still good can reach up to 30-60% depending on your gear set
- dmg output same with EVA builds and more survivability on PVE (boss fights) like the HP build one

EnVoy Path

1. Weak Point Analysis = lvl1(0.8%crit) lvl2(1.6%crit) lvl3(3.2%crit) - you may skip lvl 1 to save 1 envoy point... 0.8%crit is not that worth it

2. Batte Tactics = lvl1(1%dmg) lvl2(2%dmg) lvl3(4%dmg)

3. Duelist Mastery = lvl1(2%dmg) lvl2(4%dmg) lvl3(6%dmg) - only affects main weapon dmg (click "Detailed List" on your status screen window to see its effect)

4. DUelist Training = lvl1(1%crit) lvl2(2%crit) lvl3(3%crit) - only affects main weapon crit rate (click "Detailed List" on your status screen window to see its effect)

5. Duelist Studies = lvl1(5%critdmg) lvl2(10%critdmg) lvl3(15%critdmg) - you may skip lvl1 to save point

6. Attack Swiftness = lvl1(1%speed/cd) lvl2(2%speed/cd)

7. Bob and Weave = lvl1(0.8%eva) lvl2(1.6%eva) lvl3(3.2%eva) - you may skip lvl1 to save point

8. Muscle Up = lvl2(2%HP) lvl3(4%HP)

9. Thick Skin = lvl1 (1%def) lvl2(2%def)

10. Fleet Footed = 5% mspeed - optional!.. you may want to get this for PVP or to get faster Mspeed to Dodge Red carpets from Boss fights (specially in Infernal Abyss)

11. Determination = 15% crit dmg reduction - optional! you may get this to get frenzy later on... good in PVP as most builds are CRIT based and also Boss AoE will do less Crit dmg when you get hit! more survivablity!

12. Greediness = loot drop increase

13. Quick Study = Exp Increase - only monster kills... exp from quest no bonus

14. Frenzy = 25%chance to do 50%additional dmg!.. the +dmg also works on CRIT hits too! (skill description in game says its a "DoT" but its not) - very nice +dps in PVE and PVP... this is a must have ability for any build!

15. Bat Fang = 3% dmg done will be absorb as HP - very nice for PVE/Lvling... youll never need pots again! paired with Dancing Balisong

16. Born of Desperation = +30%eva when your HP reach 40% and below (8sec duration) - nice for PVP

17. Dream State = this skill suppose to give you +75% dmg reduction for 6sec when a players/mob cast an Immobilize skill on you (as description) - best envoy for PVP... not working atm

Envoy Path Example
lvl 50 Mainstream Envoy Path Build.... you can customize it as you like (this is a mix of PVE/PVP... you can sacrifice 2 points to get Frenzy... or get it later at lvl 54

Ultimate Skill Slots/Masteries

General Skills

Cracking Slash = adds Dmg over Time to your Slash Cut skill
- good to use in PVP especially against Bard/Tank Classes since DoTs are "Pure dmg - ignore def" and bards will have hard time removing DoTs if you apply 3-4 on them
- good for farming mobs too in combo with your Cross Slash... just use Slash Cut + Cross Slash on the first monster and go to the next one (the other one will die on the DoT)

Eagle Dive - adds +10% Crit Rate to your Slash Cut Skill
- good for Crit Builds for more Burst Dmg! (especially for those who has 60-80% crit rate... your Slash Cut will do Crit amost everytime you use it)

Venomous Crosscut - +3 sec Duration to your Cross Slash DoT effect
- the first 2 skills greatly outshines this... Cross Slash is one of our Semi-Spammable skill so a 10sec duration for its DoT is enough.

Attack Specialty

Divine Power - +5% DMG
- you may use this if your DMG build (but there are better options)

Focus - +5% SPD
-Duelist dont really need Spd that much... and if your goin Spd build for some reason... 30%spd is enough to reach "DoT Tick Cap Limit" which is 0.8sec per tick

Murderous Intent - +5% Crit Rate
-you may use this if your Crit Build and still need some more Crit Rate (but there are better options)

Zeal - 10% Chance to do 50% Additional Dmg
-if your a fan of relying on PROC/Activation Skills then this one is rather good in terms of PVE/PVP
-this works like your Frenzy skill but with lower Activation rate (lvl2 is 70%extra dmg though so its good)

Boost - +3% Spd and +2% DMG
- other specialties greatly outshines this one

Callousness - +3%Crit Rate and +4% Crit Dmg ( 5%crit and 8%crit dmg lvl2)
- this is the "Crit Build's best friend" if your aiming high crits + crit dmg

Advanced Skills

Lightning Strike - +20% DoT damage for your Deadly Wink Skill
-this only activates when your Purple Lighning buff is active (20sec)
-its great for more DoT dmg for PVP but not much in PVE

Death on the Winds - +10% Spd for 10sec after using Deadly Wink Skill
-as usual you dont really need SpD and dont waste your precious 20sec buff on this one

From the Shadows - +5% DMG when Purple Lightning is Active (+7% at lvl2)
-great overall performance boost for 20sec

Defense Specialty

Vigor - +5% HP
-use this if you want more HP

[color=green]Iron Wall
- +5% Defense
-use this if you want more Defense

Agility - +5% Evade
-use this if you want more Eva

Unyieldingness - activates 1% HP regeneration for 10sec when you get Hit/Attacked and it has a cooldown of 30sec
-this is your best friend if your doin the daily quest "Fighter's Club Ultimate"
-good to use if your soloing dungeons... extra healing is very welcome

Courage - +3% HP and -2% Damage Reduction
-good to use if your stacking Damage Reduction cards/stones/costume and it has an extra +HP too

Extreme Speed - +3% Evade and +5% Speed
-this is one of the only ways to increase your Movement speed (5%eva and 10% speed lvl2)

Tactical Specialty

Note: its called "TACTICAL SPEC" for a reason... use it as situation need ems

Organized Sabotage - 25% chance to reduce target's DMG by 10% for 8sec
-this is a must have for a TANK in dungeons... reducing the DMG by Bosses in dungeons by 10-20% (lvl1-3) greatly helps the survivability of your Party... i cant stress out how good this skill is (but many ignores it)
-use this if your TANK is not using it... pls for the sake of your party Cool

Break Defence - 25% chance to reduce target's Defense by 10% for 8sec
-your overall default tactical spec... all rounder! good for pvp/dungeon/farming
-you can use other specialty if someone in your party already using this...

Preemptive Strike - 25% chance to reduce target's Crit by 5% and Crit Dmg by 10% for 8sec
-potentially good for PVP... use it as what your team needs in dungeon runs

Ambush - 25% chance to reduce target's Spd by 10% for 8sec
-additional debuff for BOSS fights... use it as needed

Expose Weakness - 25% chance to reduce target's Healing Recieve by 20% for 8sec
-mainly for PVP....still Bard heals quite hard even with this debuff (might as well just use Break Defense to burst down faster)

Ars Noxia - 25% chance to reduce target's Movement speed by 10% for 8sec
-potentially good for pvp
-kinda nice in farming too... slow + DoT the mobs

Special Skills

The Best Defense - 1% of DMG added to Defense (2% at lvl2)
-best mastery for all class... who dont want +def?

Capoiera - 1% of DMG added to Evade (2% at lvl2)
-for the evade builds... if your lacking some eva to cap/reach 95% then this one might be of help to you

Deep Blue - +2% DMG and -4% Malice
-lessens your aggro... better use the other 2 above and just control your aggro if needed (specially in Otherworlds lvl60s... you dont want to pull aggro from tank if you dont wanna die)

Omniscience - 1% of DMG added to SpD (2% at lvl2)
-cant say much.... maybe for speed builds?

Secondary Class
(im personally a Duelist/Grenader) so ill just give out some good infos/points on other subclass (im pointing out mainly on the Utility skills that will greatly help the Duelist)

Note: Subclass skills has 3x longer cooldowns than the main classes and sorc/bard/wiz has no combo skill

Bard = well you get healing skillzzzzzz.... BARDS OP! (main)

Sorcs = has DoT skill + 4sec Immobilize skill + Party HP regen Buff + nightmare totem (6sec sleep)

Wiz = has 3sec stun + has the best AoE in game (Meteor! but it has long cooldown as a sub class) + 4sec slow skill + self HP regen Buff)

Ravager = has 3sec Leap Stun + more AoE axe skills + whirlwind

Guardian = has shield bash stun 2sec? + mirrror shield (reflect) + aggro aoe skills + shield buff (lower dmg)...

Grenader = has ranged 2sec stun + 4sec immobilize + healing totem + a useless machine gun ^^

Dual Pistols = has 4sec slow skill + Traps (traps never miss!)

Note: your stronger atk skills will surely come from Duelist skills coz of your Secret Stones + Main Weapon + Envoy Path! so in choosing your subclass, you will greatly base your decision on how their Utility Skills greatly help/improve your PLAYSTYLE!

Other Guides
http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=2152447 - Comprehensive Duelist/Sorc Guide by Katsuie!
[url]
http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=2152951[/url] -Comprehensive Duelist/Gunslinger by IkamiruXE!

http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=2143069 - A very Good Guide about Secret Stones by
honey_266! - a must read

hope this guide helped ya in some way!
inputs/comments/suggestion is very welcome!
lets help each other my fellow Duelist!

"Guides are supposed to be tools for you to get good ideas to formulate and improve your own Build and find more ways to enhance your playstyle!" - its not about copy/pasting what is written and suggested!

Advertisement

warcaliber13th

Rank 0
warcaliber13th
PostedJan 10, 2014 10:14 pm

New to the game!!

Tnx for the build at least I have a straight path on the duelist.
nway im also from the philippines XD

eidolons93

Rank 0
PostedJan 10, 2014 11:08 pm
pls give me some advice about the combo duelish/grenadier, i don't know have to use skill grenadier at all... Crying or Very sad

abylunar

Rank 0
abylunar
PostedJan 14, 2014 2:16 pm
Sorry to ask but, would you mind doing the very same guide to other classes?
Your guide helped me a lot, principally because how it state the skills, most of other guides don't inform about the cast for example.

fenix2087

Rank 0
fenix2087
PostedJan 14, 2014 4:16 pm
abylunar wrote:
Your guide helped me a lot, principally because how it state the skills, most of other guides don't inform about the cast for example.  

thanks for the feedback Cool

well for now i only got a Duelist character so i dunno much about other class... and there are other players who are already good at other classes that are making the guides (just ask them to add those infos on their guide)

abylunar

Rank 0
abylunar
PostedJan 14, 2014 8:34 pm
fenix2087 wrote:
abylunar wrote:

well for now i only got a Duelist character so i dunno much about other class... and there are other players who are already good at other classes that are making the guides (just ask them to add those infos on their guide)  

Well I think that the way your guide is so explanatory you probably tested it your self (calculating the cast time per see) or found it somewhere else.

I understand that you're more into duelist than any other class and if what happened was the first case I give my congratulations to you but if was the second one I ask if you could at least tell me where you got you information. Razz

Your guide is awesome anyway.

fenix2087

Rank 0
fenix2087
PostedJan 14, 2014 8:50 pm
abylunar wrote:
fenix2087 wrote:
abylunar wrote:

Well I think that the way your guide is so explanatory you probably tested it your self (calculating the cast time per see) or found it somewhere else.

I understand that you're more into duelist than any other class and if what happened was the first case I give my congratulations to you but if was the second one I ask if you could at least tell me where you got you information. Razz

Your guide is awesome anyway.  

yeah most of my guide is based on experience + testing + wiki references (though the casting/skill animation was my estimation/testings... you can even play abit with transition speed from skill to skill using delay cancel tapping WSAD - best example is Deadly Wink, when you use that skill your not supposed to be able to move... but by tapping WSAD at a right moment youll be able to move while flashing animation is on goin and its very cool! especially in PVP Cool )

and most of my stats mentioned here is based on my build + i duel alot and compare stats and build (though only taken from average players with standard gears... not those richy guys with +10-15 sets lol)

DarkMysticChaos

Rank 0
PostedJan 14, 2014 9:30 pm
Great job on the guide, made everything really clear for people who are uncertain about what their skill does or scales too.

BIank.

Rank 2
BIank.
PostedJan 14, 2014 11:33 pm
How about putting the 1 point on Sanguine Blade rather than the Duelist Mastery 3 is that good?

fenix2087

Rank 0
fenix2087
PostedJan 14, 2014 11:45 pm
BIank. wrote:
How about putting the 1 point on Sanguine Blade rather than the Duelist Mastery 3 is that good?  

Sanguine Blade is exclusive only for Duelist/Guardian Combo (ultimate skill)
you can tweak your build as needed (since my example envoy path is only lvl50) you still get like 3 points more at lvl 60