aresdestructor

Rank 0
PostedDec 31, 2013 9:14 am

Questions for Duelists

What subclass are you and how do you like it? What's your build? Anything you're thinking about changing that might be better/more fun?

My subclass is ravager and it's just not that great to me right now. Figured it would be good since it's another damage route but with more aoes so I wouldn't feel as useless when mobbing. So far the aoes gained from it are small other than Firestorm. There's one last skill I can get in 3 levels that I'm hoping would be good but not going to get my hopes up. So far Firestorm is the best thing I've gotten out of it but since it's an ultimate the cd makes me sad. I've tried the other ultimates too but didn't like them. Violent bombardment was ok for a short crit boost but didn't feel like I really needed it. Light of judgement felt kind of weak and was basically a line aoe that I just couldn't make use of so wasn't worth the points.

My build is crit and evasion with envoy points in crit, damage, and speed (speed to get to Firestorm). I kind of like it, evasion is fantastic when it works but most hits are painful. I prefer to use gear that gives damage and crit but also testing gear that gives hp and evasion. Usually I won't get hit too much as long as there's a tank but when there's no tank or the tank dies I sometimes end up as tank and end up coming real close to dying.

stats are without buff and eidolon

As for changing things, I'm thinking about trying gunslinger or grenadier as a subclass before ob. I'm not a fast leveler though so kind of need to decide on one to try and hope I like it. I like duelist as main and don't want to change that, just want to find a good sub for me.
Advertisement

selodaoc

Rank 1
selodaoc
PostedDec 31, 2013 9:22 am

skygod291292

Rank 0
PostedDec 31, 2013 9:29 am
i played Duelist / gunslinger , lvl43 , full crit and Eva... it's ok and have high potential (Ice trap - just wonder it still awesome as sub class )

i have 1 vote on Duelist / Sorcerers cuz i love DoTs, some heal tricks and debuff from the sub class.

blackdeath101

GameSage: Forum
blackdeath101
PostedDec 31, 2013 10:22 am
Ravager adds plenty of AoE's. You just have to position the mobs in order for them to deal full damage to the pack. In the early 40's, you will have access to Duelist AoE and 2 Ravager AoE's. And I know there is at least one more AoE added at higher levels. With subclass having longer cooldowns, I am able to use:

Duelist AoE > Ravager AoE #1 > Ravager AoE #2 > Duelist AoE > Ravager AoE #1

I don't remember skill names at all, but there is one AoE that is on a much shorter cooldown (#1), so it can be used twice as opposed to #2 which had ~20s cooldown. And then whenever I pick up the other AoE's, they will make my AoE rotation even longer.

brenin_llwyd

Rank 3
PostedDec 31, 2013 10:30 am
Duelist/Gunslinger is an awesome combination. I think my char is 42. Or 43, regardless.
It's got 40+% crit (Just stat crits) and 60+% eva. Works like a charm.
I even got called a hacker for beating a guy 4 lvls above me. Eva ftw.

kaitoshiki196

Rank 0
PostedDec 31, 2013 12:05 pm
I have a Duelist / Gunslinger not liked very much the enemy ranged can run very easily not recommend

and have a Duelist / Granadier that I currently use and I'm really enjoying it because Granadier has Stun and imobillize the distance so you can jump on the enemy and sticking to it is a subclass are searching for PVP recommend Granadier

Most also have the Defender that has skills combos increases your damage by a certain time and not too much damage on the skill created a further test to've seen many very easy killing arena

now with Ravenger WHAT have never seen not speak

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedDec 31, 2013 12:43 pm
Duelist-Grimoire is amazing so far, for both pve and pvp. I've easily one-comboed people in duels when I get a lucky crit after Sunrise, including my sister who runs bard-sorc when we were both 48. Basically, the combo skills from Envoy just aren't worth it, so don't choose a subclass just for that. Choose one that compliments what you want out of your class. If you want survivability out of the class or if you want even more DoT dps capability, go Grimoire sub. It easily compliments Duelist very well.

whatchamalcalit

Rank 0
PostedDec 31, 2013 7:29 pm
If we're talking about PvE, you might as well go put points into DEF rather than EVA since bosses naturally have high Accuracy. Def helps prevents you from getting one-shotted by a boss skill which is nice since you can probably get your hp back up with the help of skills and passives.

Duelist x Ravager- fixes the AoE con we have but you can do just fine if you position yourself properly. Slash Cut + Deadly Wink + Dancing Balisong, try using those. The con to having ravager is if you're forced to fight ranged combat if the boss/player is too dangerous. E.g. Bosses that perform 8-way AoEs. On the bright side, Ravager brings more melee skills to the table as well as a useful ranged slow and stuns.

Duelist x Sorcerer- I main this one myself and it's a bit of a love/hate relationship for me. The debuffs and DoT is nice but if there's ANOTHER sorcerer in the party, may they be a main or sub, they WILL overwrite the skills you inflict with their own so you won't benefit from various effects, aggro gain, lifesteal etc. In pvp it's good because of the stat debuffers as well as a ranged snare for those pesky kiters. This combo does not have stun just so you know. It does have snare and at lvl52, sleep.

Duelist x Gunslinger- I plan to go for this one in obt. Ranged option and traps aren't half bad. Though when it comes to traps it depends on the enemy player's brain and the server's latency.

Duelist x Guardian- Popular choice from what I've seen. They have a stun, another gap closer as well as useful buffs. The def buff tends to lose out on usefulness though at later levels when everyone is expected to cap DEF. Also accidentally using Intimidating Roar in a endgame instance will not only earn you hate from monsters, but players as well Very Happy keep in mind you're not the tank class, unless ofc your tank is downright horrible when it comes to stats and aggro holding.

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedDec 31, 2013 7:36 pm
whatchamalcalit wrote:
If we're talking about PvE, you might as well go put points into DEF rather than EVA since bosses naturally have high Accuracy. Def helps prevents you from getting one-shotted by a boss skill which is nice since you can probably get your hp back up with the help of skills and passives.

Duelist x Sorcerer- I main this one myself and it's a bit of a love/hate relationship for me. The debuffs and DoT is nice but if there's ANOTHER sorcerer in the party, may they be a main or sub, they WILL overwrite the skills you inflict with their own so you won't benefit from various effects, aggro gain, lifesteal etc. In pvp it's good because of the stat debuffers as well as a ranged snare for those pesky kiters. This combo does not have stun just so you know. It does have snare and at lvl52, sleep.

Regardless of the def vs eva debate, you need to think in terms of later caps and not the tiny cap we have in CB. Later on, it's arguably easier to cap defense from gear alone than it is with evasion, which I have seen first-hand on TW/HK player builds of this class. So because of that, it may be better to dump points into EVA or HP than it is to put into def. And as someone with ~60% evasion on a good day without buffs, I never get one-shotted by bosses anyway. It's so easy to get out of the way of the hard-hitting attacks; no self-respecting Duelist should be caught in them.

I will agree though that the over-writing of the sub skills is pretty annoying, but in parties you shouldn't be relying on grim sub skills in the first place.

whatchamalcalit

Rank 0
PostedJan 01, 2014 12:48 am
I'm only catering the answer to help him. He said he dies if the tank doesn't do his job so I offered the very same method that helped me for that level. Putting points into DEF for this cap is a very good way of learning as there is leniency although you may argue the best way of learning is through death. Once he does learn about the intricate boss skills, then he will soon start to build EVA and fortify everything to +20 to make up the rest of the def.

As for reliance on grim sub-skills, if you look at it another way, if there is a sorc main in your party or sub, it makes your sub non-existent unless you're willing to fight for it or coordinate the usage of the skill. Otherwise you won't be using the sub skills at all which defeats the purpose of having a grim sub at all. Which is why I'm switching to gunslinger sub, at least the traps will do some background damage to make up for it whilst I'm applying dots as a duelist. This way I have a more stable way of dealing damage rather than praying I'm not teamed up with another sorc.