Langerz

Rank 5
Langerz
PostedNov 23, 2008 12:13 am   Last edited by Langerz on Feb 17, 2009 12:57 am. Edited 1 time in total

FRAPS - Compressing Video - Mini-tut

A simpler way of Compressing can be found here.

You may want to record a funny moment, brag rights, Event, or naughty behaviour. Smile

A few questions have been asked on what's a good way to compress in-game FRAPS Video.

So I wrote up a mini-tut, and thought it might be of value to others.

edit:
How to compress FRAPS Video.

1. Download and install Quick Media Converter.

Here is some good FRAPS conversion profiles I created.
    It has a range of formats, for most purposes you would probably want to use:
    XVid Medium Quality, MP3 Low Quality.
    QMC_Profil_XVid_MP3.zip

2. Download the above file, extract and place the files in the Profil sub-folder of your QMC install path.
  3. Load up QMC, select Expert Mode.
  4. Select the uncompressed FRAPS file you want to convert.
  5. Set the Output Directory.
  6. Then at the bottom click Load, then select vid_XVid_MQ_aud_MP3_LQ.xml (or another profile if you want) which should be in Profil folder.
  7. Then click on the Convert Icon.
  8. It will compress twice, then it should be complete.

This gives more details on profiles:
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=69

Here is a Shaiya example, resolution in-game was 1280x1024, and so is the compressed video. It's a 33 second sample I created.
Shaiya 2008-11-23 15-10-06-24_converted.avi

Best of luck. Very Happy

Advertisement

wolf503

Rank 1
PostedNov 23, 2008 12:51 am
**** why couldn't someone have posted this earlier :/ Sticky it! ^^ i uninstalled my Fraps because i didn't know how to do any of this Sad now using Xfire cause it does it automatically for me xD

Pervy

Rank 4
Pervy
PostedNov 23, 2008 2:18 am
what is the best format to convert videos to for posting to the you tube site ?

filidh

Rank 2
filidh
PostedNov 23, 2008 2:41 am
Pervy wrote:
what is the best format to convert videos to for posting to the you tube site ?  

I think Xvid will give you the best quality to compression ratio. Most likely that is why Langerz selected it as well.

It may not matter a whole lot depending on how much more YouTube compresses it though.

Luminair

Rank 3
Luminair
PostedNov 23, 2008 2:50 am
Sticky this post ! Mods C'mon !

Give me Karma :D

mrscar9533

Rank 1
mrscar9533
PostedNov 23, 2008 7:50 am
......One of these days Langerz. Im going to make a lighty character just to kill you. I sat here for over 13hrs so far to compress a Fraps video and add music through Windows Movie Maker. Yanno what? I turned it into an avi and 9min and 5seconds of video turned into over 2GB of trash. It doesnt even work. I can't upload it any where cause im too poor/cheap to pay for a MegaUpload prem acct and Youtube / FileFront only allow 1GB of video.

My neck is stiff to the point id rather go to the nice lil guillotin and get my head severed so I stop moving it!!

Good post though. Wish I had seen it sooner >_<

P.S. Therma-Care heat wraps don't work on your neck well. Plus...they just don't work. Yes they get nice and hot but it just made it worse. Stupid neck >_<

EDIT: Could I modify a Fraps with WMM then convert/compress it with QMC ?

deaddove

Rank 2
deaddove
PostedNov 23, 2008 8:19 am
awesome. TY

<br>Fiddlesticks.<br>~Signature checked by OSUBeaver and JonGhost~

Langerz

Rank 5
Langerz
PostedNov 23, 2008 5:50 pm
@mrscar9533
lol, oh well it's all a learning experience. Smile
mrscar9533 wrote:

EDIT: Could I modify a Fraps with WMM then convert/compress it with QMC ?  

I'm not sure what Codec that is listed under, but QMC supports many, many formats.
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=73

edit: You have to publish the Movie to WMV format which is lossy, then conversion to XVid is additionally lossy, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Movie Maker has an in-built compressor, just publish it to WIndows Media HD 1080p, it looks pretty good, but it added black borders and squished video.. There is probably a way to fix it.

mrscar9533

Rank 1
mrscar9533
PostedNov 24, 2008 2:55 am
Man, all I know is the next person I know ot have an IG wedding...Its gonna be 3.5min long. Atleast the video will be. Flo's wedding is chewing on like 10GB of my HDD right now and I can't get it compressed into one file thats 1GB or less Neutral Im probably just going to end up take a chainsaw to it and make it all choppy like but atleast have the wedding vows in it. Make life easier.

Currently there is one half up from what I was previously doing. Youtube then search Darksk9533 as poster. Its the only video I have up so it shouldnt be hard to find Razz

If you can't find it on your own. To bad Neutral Im grouchy atm so don't feel like linking you to it. Its also up on FileFront for downloading. Its like 750MB or something. Have fun with that one.

But what I might end up doing with it is after I get the 2nd part of it slashed in and musiced up then just go and take the three Fraps files and compress/convert with QMC. Then stick that up on Youtube as well.....if it compresses to a small enough size that is...The video was lil over 9min long and it got segmented by Fraps into three different files as to not take up one large block of space. Two of which are 4,096,705KB in size -.-;;;;....Flo...next time you get married. Im gonna create your stupid wedding vows and your husbands too! *grumbles about weddings being more trouble than they worth* And don't get me started on Grizz!

LotusCho

Rank 3
LotusCho
PostedNov 24, 2008 2:48 pm
mrscar9533 wrote:
Man, all I know is the next person I know ot have an IG wedding...Its gonna be 3.5min long. Atleast the video will be. Flo's wedding is chewing on like 10GB of my HDD right now and I can't get it compressed into one file thats 1GB or less Neutral Im probably just going to end up take a chainsaw to it and make it all choppy like but atleast have the wedding vows in it. Make life easier.

Currently there is one half up from what I was previously doing. Youtube then search Darksk9533 as poster. Its the only video I have up so it shouldnt be hard to find Razz

If you can't find it on your own. To bad Neutral Im grouchy atm so don't feel like linking you to it. Its also up on FileFront for downloading. Its like 750MB or something. Have fun with that one.

But what I might end up doing with it is after I get the 2nd part of it slashed in and musiced up then just go and take the three Fraps files and compress/convert with QMC. Then stick that up on Youtube as well.....if it compresses to a small enough size that is...The video was lil over 9min long and it got segmented by Fraps into three different files as to not take up one large block of space. Two of which are 4,096,705KB in size -.-;;;;....Flo...next time you get married. Im gonna create your stupid wedding vows and your husbands too! *grumbles about weddings being more trouble than they worth* And don't get me started on Grizz!  

you just KNEW that id check this thread, didnt you? Razz

<center> Retired Guild Leader of Lucis Ferre & original Mistress of Molestation<br> ...known as Flo. ^^<br> Retired from Shaiya Light as of 06/09 </center>