momommo

Rank 1
momommo
PostedJul 12, 2013 9:35 am

Rupi/Gupi/Lupi/Rapid

Kill or not?
I've heard a bit of conflicting information about these blueish butterfly horse things that flit about near where bosses are in dungeons. They're weak and easy to kill, and give a temporary HP buff when you kill them.

And according to some, they drop rares, so you should always kill them.

According to others, they decrease the drop rate for the rest of the dungeon, so you should never kill them.

Any of you "farmed this dungeon hundreds of times" folks want to weigh in? I've done SF perhaps 30 times so far, half killing and half not, and don't see much difference--but the variability in drops from one time to the next is incredibly large, so I don't have enough samples to really spot a difference if there is one.

"One second. I think my Commander fainted again." Lachon, Andromeda Server
Advertisement

Yyore

GameSage: Scarlet Blade
Yyore
PostedJul 12, 2013 10:27 am
There is no proof or whatsoever that killing these NPC will decrease the drop rate.

IGN: OhThePain <Relentless>

Taywena

Rank 0
Taywena
PostedJul 12, 2013 10:50 am
Wives tales and Superstitions. I will say that in BC, Rapid does tend to have a very good chance to drop an enhancement stone of some kind if you do not kill the pre-ceding Rupi/Gupi/Lupi critters in fact, it's close to if not 100%. That's BC, I have tried both ways in SF and it doesn't seem to have any impact at all that I can detect. Then again, as a whole, SF seems to have very low and unpredictable drops rates to begin with, so it's very hard to tell.

I personally have heard 2-3 different people on RG Venus make the claim that they've solo'd SF over 200 times each, with not a single unique dropping for them. I also know I pretty much leveled my Medic from 30-34 by soloing SF after her quests in the PvE zones ran out at each level (roughly 19%), so however many solo runs that was, and I myself never got a unique to drop. Of course there's always random hypovials and pet snacks, and once in a while a rare item, usually what I call crap stat rares that only sell for 3-6g as salvage fodder. I have seen bosses drop absolutely nothing many times. This is the first MMORPG I've ever played that a boss could drop absolutely nothing. NOTHING! It boggles my mind how this could be, but apparently the game developers feel this is normal and acceptable. <shrug>

momommo

Rank 1
momommo
PostedJul 12, 2013 11:23 am
The overall drop rate really is a separate issue from this one--as much as I agree that it desperately needs some fixing, I'd really like to see that one in its own thread. Please keep this one focused on the blue winged things in dungeons, thanks.

Any of the people who have gotten uniques in dungeons want to weigh in on whether they kill those things or not?

"One second. I think my Commander fainted again." Lachon, Andromeda Server

braveylb

Rank 1
PostedJul 12, 2013 11:46 am
They're just myths/rumors, all MMOs are plagued by them, or you could call them 'superstition'. Unless a dev/GS/GM says it's true, I don't see a point in believing in those things.

It's just one of those 'don't use skills it'll affect drop rate', dont-do-this-do-that it'll affect drop rate rumors. All of these are nothing but assumptions.

wiseleo

Rank 0
PostedJul 12, 2013 2:36 pm
Killing Rapid after you kill the boss usually results in enhancement stones. No one argues about killing that one. Wink

Gupi/Rapi and the rest of Crystalline Vespine species are actually a 10% HP buff for 3 minutes. The buff applies only to the person who kills them.

I plan to run some tests in DM with my solo team mode whipper (that's the first place where you will encounter this urban legend) and report my findings. 50 samples should be enough I think.

katsuxkimi

Rank 0
katsuxkimi
PostedJul 12, 2013 3:48 pm
Taywena wrote:
This is the first MMORPG I've ever played that a boss could drop absolutely nothing. NOTHING!  

that usually happens to me when the boss is 5% hp left and then a lag spike occurs.
either its lacks a game code or someone has been using an IF ELSE on the game.

speaking of that..
I conducted 2 BC runs: a level 26 (now going 30 dues to endless BC run) and a level 34 both of them have 100 stacks of passcards, the drops are the same: THEY ARE STILL LOW D:< even you didn't kill or kill Rupi, Gupi and Lupi the drop rates are still the same.. STILL LOW..but for Rapid, killing Rapid is a must it is either enhancement stones or crap drop but still better than those three flying whelps.

but then again I'm using high level characters... gonna try if the drops are better when you are exact level on the Req. Lvl for BC (Level 25)

Yyore

Yyore
PostedJul 12, 2013 9:53 pm
wiseleo wrote:
Killing Rapid after you kill the boss usually results in enhancement stones. No one argues about killing that one. Wink

Gupi/Rapi and the rest of Crystalline Vespine species are actually a 10% HP buff for 3 minutes. The buff applies only to the person who kills them.

I plan to run some tests in DM with my solo team mode whipper (that's the first place where you will encounter this urban legend) and report my findings. 50 samples should be enough I think.  

I highly doubt 50 runs would be enough.

IGN: OhThePain <Relentless>

BNuts001

BNuts001
PostedJul 16, 2013 2:24 pm
There's a Rapid in BC? I've got to get my Medic to the front of the group for a change!

I can only truly speak to my experiences in Drasilmarsh, where until recently I've been able to get at least a Silver Medal -- but now my second Medic (a support build) is Level 29, so I don't know if I'd get anything (it's a bad sign when you don't get anything from the Cauterizer). A shame, since I really want an Emerald Sliver so I can upgrade her Gamma Vestal-SP Suit.

In any case, I've killed every mob in Drasil before and got great drops. This was, of course, before I got to Level 27.

Aureola3114

Rank 2
Aureola3114
PostedJul 17, 2013 12:00 am
The Rapi in BC is located in an alcove in the final boss room directly opposite the entrance.

There is no provable evidence that attacking these monsters reduces drop rate; they simply grant the 3 minute HP buff. That is all.