ilovealisha

Rank 0
ilovealisha
PostedJul 08, 2007 3:59 pm
this is like bullying us, we want to know what happens next, dnt deprive us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ign: 2HOT4U Guild:PhoenixDown Class: Rogue - Assassin Level: 4x
Advertisement

fuzzy

Rank 0
fuzzy
PostedJul 11, 2007 9:03 pm
ilovealisha wrote:
this is like bullying us, we want to know what happens next, dnt deprive us!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Gosh, I don't mean to be a bully. Sad It's going a little slower this week. I know what happens in the next part, but sometimes the words just won't come out in a good way. Sorry to leave you hanging. I'll try get the next part up soon.

fuzzy

Rank 0
fuzzy
PostedJul 12, 2007 10:37 pm
Sorry for the delay, folks. I should have known last week when I got it done a bit early that the next week would end up late. So it goes, eh? Hope it's worth the wait.

A Stone of Contention, Part VI – Of Knots and Breezes

It hadn’t sat well with him, the previous few minutes with the rogue. Forcing her to give up the heaven stone, he had felt powerful, in control, and he had gotten his property back, but it had unexpectedly left him with a knot in his stomach, quite uneasy, like he had broken an important rule.

But all that was the furthest thing from his mind now, having just seen his pony gallop off at high speed, having no idea where it was going or for what purpose, and knowing full well that Merac was far too dangerous a place for it.

The breeze blew a chill down Swaglord’s spine.

“Teacup!” he yelled, jumping to his feet. He put both hands up to his mouth and yelled between them. “Teacup, boy, come back!”

The rogue sat up with a smirk. “Teacup?” She forced a laugh. “You named your horse teacup?”

“Long story,” he said quickly. “I don’t have time to—” He stopped and looked around him. “Look, I’m sorry about this, but—” He reached down, grabbed her by the hips and flipped her over roughly on her stomach.”

“Hey!” She yelled.

Swaglord put a knee into her back and then took her coil of rope and began to tie her hands together.

“What are you doing?” she said, squirming. Swaglord leaned more of his weight onto his knee, pinning her securely to the ground.

“Ow! Knight, you can’t tie me up and leave me here. What if a highlander comes by!”

“Sorry,” he said. “I don’t—I wish—I have no time!” He fumbled hurriedly with the thick rope and finally managed to work the thick cord into a clumsy knot. He pulled it tight and then started wrapping the rope around her legs.

“Ow! That’s too tight. Knight! That hurts!”

“I’m sorry! I really am, but…” He fashioned another crude knot around her ankles and then grabbed his shield and set off at a dead run after the pony. “I’ll come back if I can,” he called back to her as he ran.

“Knight, don’t leave me like this. Knight!”

He heard the rogue calling to him as he descended the hillside, the sound of her voice soon fading into the shrill whistle of the wind passing his ears. At the bottom of the hill he saw a trail of small hoof prints in the dirt. Teacup! They curved leftward around the hill in the direction of the road that they had been on before.

He followed the trail and soon heard something like a horse’s screaming coming from somewhere around the bend of the hill. When he finally came in sight of the road he stopped to look at the curious scene.

There was a horse standing near a tall tree kicking up a cloud of dirt as if it were struggling to get away from a group of highlanders standing near its hind quarters. It seemed unable to move.

Why would anyone leave their horse tied up like that? he wondered.

The highlanders were not attacking the horse, but instead seemed intent on something else, which he could not quite make out. The three of them stood in a close circle waving their weapons this way and that, almost hitting each other and stumbling about as if losing their balance with each swing.

What are they doing? he thought. They usually take any easy meat they can get.

He started running again, a bit slower now. The trail of hoof prints took him directly toward the three giants, which seemed to be getting angrier with each passing second. When he was close enough to see what was bothering them he could not help smiling.

Teacup! I should have known…

Now he picked up his pace again, trying to approach as quietly as a fully armored knight can. He balled his empty weapon hand into a fist.

Why didn’t I grab one of her daggers!

As he neared the group, he saw that Teacup was darting between the lumbering giants, dodging this way and that as they swung their huge clubs at it. The pony seemed too quick for the clumsy highlanders, but neither was it able to hurt them in any way. All it was doing was distracting them. What for? Finally, just before reaching the group he saw that the panicked horse was the very same as the one the rogue had been riding.

At full speed, Swaglord barreled right into the closest highlander, his shoulder lowered and braced against his shield. The surprised beast flew backwards and landed in a heap on the ground. He kicked its club away and then lunged at the next closest one, executing a shield strike as best as he could and then putting his shoulder into the dazed creature and driving it into the remaining giant, which was in the middle of a big off-balance swing at the little pony.

The two highlanders went down in a heap and Swaglord raced for the horse, which was still bucking but seemed to be tiring. When he reached the horse, he saw that it was his sword that was tethering the poor animal to the tree. Somehow, the weapon, lashed to the animal’s saddle by the rogue before they set out, had become caught in the "V" of the tree’s double trunk. The sharp metal blade had cut through the bark and become completely embedded in the wood.

Swaglord ran to the sword and tried to untie it, but the rogue’s knots held fast. As before, his metal gloves were practically useless for such a task. As he tried in vain to free his weapon he noticed what else the powerful horse’s efforts to escape had done. With the sword anchored by the straps just below the guard, the hilt had been levered against the horse’s side, where the long and narrow prongs of the guard had pressed into the saddle and through it into the animal’s hide, with each buck and kick digging a little deeper. A trickle of blood ran down from beneath the saddle.

By now the highlanders were getting up and turning their attentions on Swaglord and the horse. Teacup threw itself into their midst once more, ramming each in turn as they sought to raise their great bulks off of the ground, screaming at them and then scampering away as if trying to get them to follow. Two of the giants seemed willing to resume the chase again, but the third proved a bit cleverer, kicking its leg out while still on the ground and tripping the animal, sending it sprawling to the ground.

The other two giants were then on top of it instantly, raising their clubs in unison. Swaglord rushed them, this time angling his way between them to try to disrupt both their swings at once. He managed to do it, giving Teacup time to get on its feet and scamper away, but leaving him alone with no weapon to face the three now upright and very angry foes.

He backed away behind his shield, with each step bracing himself against whatever blows fell. In a few steps he had reached the horse, which seemed to have gone still. A trio of blows sent him reeling. He fell literally with his back against his sword, keeping him from falling. Under his shield he saw the horse’s blood dripping from its belly, making a little pool in the dirt.

“I won’t abandon you,” he whispered, and then regained his balance, lowered his shoulder and pressed into the gang facing him.

“Teacup! Get out of here!” he yelled and then found himself thrown backwards again. He ducked under the sword this time and came up near the horse’s head, where he saw his pony nose-to-nose with the suffering horse.

Good boy, he thought, smiling at the sight of his pony comforting the suffering charger. Then he pressed forward again as the highlanders came at him, only his thin sword between them and him. Lifting his shield over the sword and bringing it down on the other side, he gripped the hilt of his sword with his free hand and braced the shield as best he could against the blade, the saddle and his own shoulder. He heard the giants roar, saw under his shield the huge muscles in their thighs flexing as if preparing for their final blows…when suddenly they stopped.

Something was in the air, something other than the highland breeze.

“HI-EEE-YAA!”

Swaglord looked back to see the rogue he had just left tied up on the hill, high above them in the middle of a screaming, acrobatic leap. He heard the giants’ surprised, throaty grunts and then time seemed to grind almost to a halt…

She seemed to hang in the air, somersaulting slowly like a waterwheel in a lazy river. As she came out of her tuck he could see her eyes on him, with her daggers drawn in both hands. By the arc of her jump he knew those daggers could be meant for him. Her body drifted over him, shading the sun from his eyes but not from the edges of her weapons which seemed then to be outlined in a sharp and blinding light.

He smiled.

Caught between the bloodthirsty giants and the pitiful, bloodied horse, with the rogue’s twin hands of death swooping down on him, not knowing if he would live another second or if his small pony could or would escape, there was only one thing on his mind: an unexpected thing, something that untied the knots in his stomach and blew over him like a warm and welcome breeze.

He was glad to see her.

To be continued…

FrozeBlood

Rank 2
PostedJul 12, 2007 11:33 pm
Laughing Lol Teacup. Crying or Very sad Poor Horse. Oooohhh Swaglord has a little crush Wink

fuzzy

Rank 0
fuzzy
PostedJul 17, 2007 10:48 pm
A little late again this week. Well, better late then never, I hope.

A Stone of Contention, Part VII – Out of the Blue

Swaglord’s eyes followed the downward path of the dagger, the glint along the elegantly curving blade a rope of fire against the cloudless sky. It descended on him like the blazing talon of some great reaping bird floating out of the heavens on a timeless trajectory: ever closer, ever nearer, ever and ever in a single moment on the knife edge of oblivion.

Closer, closer…

He closed his eyes and then, as if it had been waiting for him to look away, time the creeper leapt brazenly forward, resuming its usual, hurried pace.

“—YAAH!”

The rogue finished her leap, touching down between the highlanders and her horse, which wasted no time in galloping away the moment it felt itself cut free of the happenstance anchor. Swaglord opened his eyes to find his sword in his hand, still stubbornly embedded in the trunk of the pine, a few tatters of the leather cord hanging from the guard.

So, the dagger was not meant for me after all…

“I could teach you a few things about knots,” said the rogue, crouching and slashing at the knee of the closest giant. The beast roared and she rolled twice to her right, keeping ahead of the two clubs that beat the ground just inches behind her. Again, her daggers flashed and the beast nearest her let out a loud scream, clutching at a deep gash just above its elbow.

The remaining unwounded beast lifted its club and charged. This time she leapt straight up, soaring high overhead. As the giant passed under her, she came to a hard perch on its head and kicked off again, somersaulting to a graceful landing, and sending the clumsy beast face first into the dirt. The other two, bloodied but more angry than hurt, roared at her, brandishing their weapons and closing on her with caution. The third pried itself up off the hard pack and moved to join its brethren.

“Little help here!” she called, out of another low crouch.

Huh?

Swaglord’s gaze dropped down to his sword, then back to the rogue—at that moment rolling away from a screaming highlander—then back to his weapon and finally down along the blade to the wide tree trunk, into which the last foot of his sword vanished.

“Right!”

His first pull on the sword confirmed that it was the tree trunk, not him, that truly held his sword. He tried two hands on the hilt, leaning back with all his weight, then pushing the other way, and felt it budge a little. Next he tried a back-and-forth motion, repeated pulling and pushing. He could feel the sword starting to move, but after several tries it had hardly budged at all, and it wasn’t clear whether it was coming free or becoming even more deeply trapped in the stubborn wood.

“Knight!” the rogue called, on the run now with all three of the beasts in pursuit.

“This could take a while!” he called back. He gave the sword another push, straining with all his might. “I don’t know if—“A dagger pierced the ground at his feet. He glanced at it, then looked back at his sword, and then back at the dagger again.

“Today!” The rogue was dodging and rolling, and none of the highlanders had screamed in pain for a little while.

“Huh?” Right!

He plucked the rogue’s weapon from the dirt and held it up before him. His gauntlet completely hid its ebony handle; the blade extending from his fist was barely as long as the hilt of his sword.

A weapon’s a weapon, I guess—

“KNIGHT!”

“Coming!”

He ran towards closest giant, bellowing as he approached. The beast turned and raised its club. Swaglord ran right up to it, stopping a practiced step away, raising his shield and bracing himself for the blow as he had done a thousand times before. Upon feeling the weight of the club on his shield, his warrior’s training kicked in; timing was everything. Instinctively waiting for the moment of impact to pass—a tempo as his instructors had called it—he pulled back his shield and answered as only a knight can: two lightning quick slashes tracing a perfect “X” across the opponent’s vital areas.

Only, this time, both slices came up about a forearm’s length short of the target. The giant looked down at its chest and then up at Swaglord. Swaglord looked at the dagger and then up at the giant.

“Heh!” he said, shrugging.

The giant might have been amused. It beat itself in the chest with its free hand while swinging its club up from the ground in a sideways uppercut motion.

Swaglord dodged, managing to evade the main force of the swing, but the end of the club caught him and sent him careening for several yards across a stretch of ground that sloped downwards. Before he could regain his balance he ran straight into one of the other giants, and before he had realized what he had done the creature screamed right into ear. Turning his head from the deafening blare he noticed his fist pressed up against the creature’s belly, with no sign of the diminutive blade.

The giant threw him down on the ground and clutched its stomach. Moaning, it dropped its club, fell to its knees and slowly teetered over onto it’s side.

“Well done, hero.” The rogue was suddenly crouching right next to him. “We may survive this yet.” She winked and then was gone again.

Swaglord started to get up, then stopped, feeling slightly dazed from the impacts with the giant and then the ground. He looked around to see the rogue sprinting toward the lone giant still left standing. The third was a short distance away bent over with one knee to the ground, seemingly having trouble getting back to its feet.

After a deep breath, Swaglord tried getting up again. His head hurt and the sun seemed too bright. Just as he got both feet beneath him he felt the rogue tap him on the shoulder.

“Tag,” she said, and then vanished.

“Huh?”

The ground was shaking. Swaglord looked up to the see the giant just steps away, lumbering toward him, club in hand.

Rogue!

The creature’s bulbous belly bounced with each of its heavy steps. The knight saw to do: as the giant ran into him, he raised his shield high across the creature’s weapon arm and slid the full measure of the dagger into the right side of its soft mid section. When the giant stopped and roared angrily, he decided he had better finish it quickly. Twisting the blade to horizontal, he yanked it hard to the left, and then pushed himself away as the highlander’s intestines spilled onto the ground.

“A little overboard, I’d say.” The rogue was behind him again. “But effective.”

Swaglord dropped to the ground roughly, even more dazed than before and now a bit breathless as well. The last highlander was on its feet again, but moving slowly. The look in its eye told Swaglord it was no threat.

“Leave this one to me,” said the rogue. “I’ve half-kill’t him already—might as well finish it.”

She walked over to it slowly, using none of the acrobatic tricks she had displayed earlier. The giant hesitated, raising its club seemingly in self defense. She taunted it, showing her blades and then waving them threateningly until the creature responded with a half hearted swing. As its club came weakly forward, she dodged around behind it then leapt up onto its shoulders, her thighs closing tightly around its massive head.

She looked once at Swaglord, and then pressed her daggers down into the giant, each behind on of its two thick collarbones. The beast didn’t make a sound. She then rolled forward and pushed off of the daggers, leaving them behind as she executed a perfect somersault and half-turn in mid-air, landing in front of the giant, facing it with her hands lightly on her slender hips.

The highlander stood there for several seconds, blinking at the decorated, black and silver handles sticking up along side its thick neck. Then it closed its eyes and began to teeter, ever so slowly, then wobbling in slow circles before finally falling dead to the ground.

Swaglord felt he knew a little of how it felt. His head was pounding. Feeling weak and suddenly tired, he laid back on the ground, closing his eyes and breathing deeply. In a few moments he felt a light weight on his chest, opening his eyes to the rogue’s pouting face framed against a sky of perfect blue.

“What can I do for you?” he whispered.

The rogue grinned on one side of her face. “The question is, my sleepy hero, what am I going to do with you?”

To be continued…

bossmtking

Rank 2
PostedJul 17, 2007 11:42 pm

o o o nice story u r a reeaaly good writer so whts gonna happen next cmon i cant w8
btw looks like swag has a lil crush on the rogue Wink

FrozeBlood

Rank 2
PostedJul 18, 2007 12:34 pm
lol i wonder what the rogue is going to do with swaglord.

bossmtking

Rank 2
PostedJul 19, 2007 9:57 am
lol ya

fuzzy

Rank 0
fuzzy
PostedJul 24, 2007 9:06 pm

Just a quick note, the next part won't be up tonight. I've got something written, but it's really not ready for posting. Should be tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

FrozeBlood

Rank 2
PostedJul 24, 2007 10:49 pm

YAY

I cant wait for tomorrow^^.