Author Message

LadyXaenyth

Rank 0
LadyXaenyth
Joined
12 May 2013
Posts
23
Location
Bloomington United States
PostedMay 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Durability loss from normal repair

stop the scam
I'm a pretty new player here, I only started about a week ago. I enjoy this game and want(ed) to support the developers of it and I bought myself a shiny set of legacy berserker armor. Kind of expensive but it lasts til level 60 anyways, right?

Well not exactly...

I understand the chance of durability loss on gear that is 0/X. Being a penalty for failed fortification or letting your gear break is reasonable and quite standard in MMO games with similar fortification systems.

It turns out; however, that gear has a chance to lose maximum durability from just normal wear and tear. Furthermore it seems to have the same chance whether you're repairing from 123/124 or from 1/124....

The game does not reveal this caveat to the player and I've only discovered this after noticing durability loss on much of my legacy gear just by using it to kill mobs and clicking repair.

This is wrong - it feels dishonest to players because in a lot of ways it is. I urge whoever has the power to change this to do so, you might make a little less on repair hammers but you will make more in the long run by not exploiting your player base in such a way.

What does everyone else think of this?
Advertisement

dx0520

Rank 3
Joined
22 Feb 2010
Posts
1435
Location
France
PostedMay 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Re: Durability loss from normal repair

stop the scam
LadyXaenyth wrote:
It turns out; however, that gear has a chance to lose maximum durability from just normal wear and tear.  


Except, this isn't true.

LadyXaenyth wrote:
Furthermore it seems to have the same chance whether you're repairing from 123/124 or from 1/124....  


You only lose max durability from repairing using NPCs, simple repair hammers, and anything fortification related that causes failure.

Even then, repairing your max durability is easy and relatively cheap, in terms of how long you'd go until you'd need to do it again for the same piece.

LadyXaenyth

Rank 0
LadyXaenyth
Joined
12 May 2013
Posts
23
Location
Bloomington United States
PostedMay 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: Durability loss from normal repair

stop the scam
dx0520 wrote:
LadyXaenyth wrote:
It turns out; however, that gear has a chance to lose maximum durability from just normal wear and tear.  


Except, this isn't true.

LadyXaenyth wrote:
Furthermore it seems to have the same chance whether you're repairing from 123/124 or from 1/124....  


You only lose max durability from repairing using NPCs, simple repair hammers, and anything fortification related that causes failure.

Even then, repairing your max durability is easy and relatively cheap, in terms of how long you'd go until you'd need to do it again for the same piece.  


Don't confuse people with this kind of thing, it sounds like you're saying I'm wrong about this but nothing I posted is untrue.

Gear will eventually lose durability from simply using it and repairing at an NPC which is the only way to repair equipment that doesn't require making an AP purchase.

dx0520

Rank 3
Joined
22 Feb 2010
Posts
1435
Location
France
PostedMay 25, 2013 2:58 pm
Wear and tear doesn't reduce max durability, which you say it does.

Unless you're implying the result of wear and tear is using npc repairs, which then causes a chance for max durability loss. If this is the case, then you're the one that was not being clear, and are in fact, the one confusing people.

Lastly, you can make enough gold to buy blacksmiths repair hammers to repair your max durability, without ever needing to buy AP.

Unless of course, you expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter without working for it.

Edit: I'm curious if you know what max durability is.

Answer this first: To you, is the max durability the numerator or the denominator? This should clear things up.

ThaoBear

Rank 2
ThaoBear
Joined
07 May 2013
Posts
618
Location
Cloud Nine, Norway
PostedMay 25, 2013 3:01 pm
dx0520 wrote:
Lastly, you can make enough gold to buy blacksmiths repair hammers to repair your max durability, without ever needing to buy AP.  


I don't think I know anyone that ever bought AP for the purpose of repairing their equipment.. Repair hammers are highly available in-game and aren't close to AP exclusive lol.

<center></center>

LadyXaenyth

Rank 0
LadyXaenyth
Joined
12 May 2013
Posts
23
Location
Bloomington United States
PostedMay 25, 2013 3:28 pm
'Normal wear and tear' is having your equipment damaged in combat and then repairing it through an NPC. My original post was quite clear if read with the intent to understand what I actually mean and not try to nitpick every little word.

99% of people who start playing this game will assume this is what you are supposed to do and they will lose maximum durability on their gear from simply doing that.

Why even allow NPCs to repair your equipment when they just constantly lower your maximum durability?

There is not even a warning on the NPCs who repair armor. It simply says "Repair all items currently equipped and in backpack: Requires X copper

It should say "Repair all items currently equipped and in backpack: Requires X copper
WARNING: This will reduce the maximum durability of your equipment"

Or something similar at least. NPC repairs should not reduce your maximum durability unless it is 0/X. This would be fair, the way things are makes me really not want to play this game anymore and I predict many other people do and would feel the exact same way about this.

dx0520

Rank 3
Joined
22 Feb 2010
Posts
1435
Location
France
PostedMay 25, 2013 3:43 pm
Repair hammers, and the methods of durability loss are not unique to GF.

You will find it very difficult to find any other MMOs that are easy to play and more cost effective than GF.

I suspect there's more to this than you let on, because if the repairing issue is your only reason, and also your first and last straw, then I do not believe you'll find any MMO that you'll be satisfied with.

So tell us, what's really your true grievance?

Fenize

Rank 1
Fenize
Joined
06 Dec 2010
Posts
340
Location
Somewhere in the Netherlands
PostedMay 25, 2013 4:07 pm
LadyXaenyth wrote:
I'm a pretty new player here, I only started about a week ago.  


LadyXaenyth wrote:
the way things are makes me really not want to play this game anymore and I predict many other people do and would feel the exact same way about this.  
I've been playing this game for over 3 years now and you're the first person saying this issue will make you stop playing this game.

You've been playing for only a week. I can't imagine there has been a need to repair any weapon or armor piece in this week. I leveled multiple chars past lvl 65 in legacy and never had to repair one piece of armor on any of my chars before lvl 60.

My advise to you: Don't repair when it doesn't need repair.

LadyXaenyth

Rank 0
LadyXaenyth
Joined
12 May 2013
Posts
23
Location
Bloomington United States
PostedMay 25, 2013 4:19 pm
Fenize wrote:
My advise to you: Don't repair when it doesn't need repair.  


That's definitely the strategy to use given the repair system that exists in this game. But are we really supposed to let things break and repair them afterwards? The way things are this might be the best way to prevent durability loss but that forces us to behave in a way that makes no sense whatsoever and is unduly inconvenient.

I'm really surprised nobody has complained about this before, I've never seen a repair system so cumbersome in an MMO or any other game type and I study games and gaming for a living.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the repair system is set up this way to force people into buying AP for repair hammers. Having dishonest elements in a game like this is only going to poison the player-company relationship and will drive many players away who are smart enough to figure out what is going on...

I might be the only one to post a thread like this but for every person who says something there are tens, maybe hundreds, who don't.

ThaoBear

Rank 2
ThaoBear
Joined
07 May 2013
Posts
618
Location
Cloud Nine, Norway
PostedMay 25, 2013 4:32 pm
Honestly, if you think that you're being "forced" to buy AP because you need Repair Mallets.. of all items.. then you might as well just go uninstall before you advance further into the game and learn about the items with a cost much much much higher than Repair Mallets, also quite "needed" and aren't close to as common as Repair Mallets.

<center></center>
Display posts from previous:   Sort by: