OSUBeaver

GameSage: Forum
OSUBeaver
PostedApr 30, 2013 7:28 am
Moved to the bugs discussion section...although I don't find it an issue at all. If getting there quickly is important, determine where you want to go and drive yourself. The pathing functions...which is more than alot of games can say.

Just plain Beaver now.
Advertisement

n3cr0m33p5

Rank 4
n3cr0m33p5
PostedApr 30, 2013 7:45 am
Not only clicking the map but the quick-click for the quests can be "broken" as well.

Pic #1 - about to click on quest tracker (my final destination is roughly the green circle)
Pic #2 - but instead, run "away" from the destination
Pic #3 & Pic #4 - finally begin heading in the right direction and arrive

Video of pathing sped up

So, while the pathing usually works, I think when they made the overlay for the map they really didn't include enough nodes for some of the paths so we end up backtracking to the nearest "path node" and then head along the chosen path.

Starfalcon26

Rank 0
Starfalcon26
PostedApr 30, 2013 8:37 am
I thought that you could make it so that the game character calculates the quickest route in a matter of microseconds and can ''see'' obstacles along the way.

I guess that the technology isn't here yet.

OSUBeaver

GameSage: Forum
OSUBeaver
PostedApr 30, 2013 8:47 am
Starfalcon26 wrote:
I thought that you could make it so that the game character calculates the quickest route in a matter of microseconds and can ''see'' obstacles along the way.

I guess that the technology isn't here yet.  

Why is this needed? I use the autopathing to go get a cup of coffee, let the dogs out, go to the bathroom, message people in game, check the forums, do the ingame puzzles, organize my quests,...If I'm in a hurry I drive myself.

What we should be asking for is location memory scrolls that allow us to warp to different map positions we've saved from previous excursions.

Just plain Beaver now.

minasachan

Rank 0
PostedApr 30, 2013 3:04 pm
What SB does is it takes you to the designated path rather then the absolute direct route. It takes your coordinates into account, runs you to the path, and then goes down the path and deviates based on the thinking that "you won't run into walls or agressive mobs because the path is safe." That's why you might start running in the opposite direction sometimes before you start heading to point B.

The technology does exist, Aeria just has to implement it. In PWI, you got the most direct path to point B, however, the game already knew all obstacles on the map and so if you were headed for a wall, you would go up to the wall, and hug the wall as you passed by it, which is what Aeria needs to do.