How would you rate Aeria Games Service?

5 (Excellent)
9%52 Votes
4
10%56 Votes
3
13%72 Votes
2
10%55 Votes
1 (Poor)
56%305 Votes
Total Votes :: 540 Votes
Author Message

CATGUN90

Rank 4
CATGUN90
Joined
02 Oct 2010
Posts
1712
Location
Malaysia
PostedApr 29, 2013 11:16 am
spacefire11 wrote:
PikaWaitWhat wrote:
spacefire11 wrote:
runningsnake wrote:
Bat26 wrote:
oh well i just love aeriagames service because what ever they upload is awesome and i like it <3  


Well then BAT, you've completely lost the plot and you don't know what good customer service is. Wait till aeria run over you.  
the problem with most of u is that u looking for tje negative things only.  


-I just want to modify my fricking weapon and play...is that too much to ask ffs....  
wait till they find a fix  


You mean...they can fix the clossure 12sky server,really????

Participant of Wei Summer of Fun,please check your winning prize and contact me to claim the prize: http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=2018861#16641119 Dwo State 2013: http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1905911
Advertisement

istupidxd

Rank 0
istupidxd
Joined
02 Jul 2012
Posts
70
Location
Stockton United States
PostedApr 29, 2013 7:01 pm
jakeareno22 wrote:
Okay last post on this thread. I seriously hope that management sees this. The GMs have basically accused nearly the entire SF community of lying to earn free rewards. Some people have earned all 3 rewards, yet not the bonus rewards from the event. Sent tickets, and got the response, "we paid it out right, you are wrong". How can a GM refute this? If direct evidence of your mistake is in your face, man up and admit it. Atleast come on forums and say, "Sorry we messed up guys, well do better in the next event" That would be okay with me. What do they say? They say "We did it right and you are all lying to earn free rewards.". I promise 300 people have not all come together in some Aeriagames soldier front reward payout conspiracy.

. Yea, no. Your wrong.
jojobroch100 wrote:
Since i'm muted and cant say anithing in the SB Look : fix the issue.

telling me u guys paid me the 1st challenge i did the 2nd and 3th lol but Okay u guys told me u paid the 1st challenge : i didnt received it . Look






I hope u guys pay it out.  


XsnipergirlX wrote:
jakeareno22 wrote:
Shurapanet wrote:
XsnipergirlX wrote:
It is paid. So what are u talking about... The logs were rechecked 1 final time. Then the gifts were sent out...  

nah, your wrong, I did the event and didn't get anything tell now I have pictuers aswell.
and btw they still have bugs you know why? They gifted my bro the 3challenges and didn't gift him the bonus. A FACT.  


Snipergirl even claimed she didnt receive any of her rewards to me on shoutbox earlier today. What a hyppocrite, sticking up for aeriagames about this matter. Its a shame a GS will put lies above what she knows is right.  


Yeah well... I don't really care about the prizes myself...  


I understand you dont care. It doesnt matter to me, but you should be sticking up for US because you KNOW that we got shafted. Its also a shame aeria games wont even listen to their own GSes

Thanks for reading. Good day  


well said <3 i say +1 to this!!!!

sewilliams.sw

Legendary Founder: Scarlet Blade
sewilliams.sw
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Posts
83
Location
Detroit, MI United States
PostedApr 29, 2013 7:06 pm
You know you are screwed when over 50% is lowest.

I voted 3. I think a lot of the things Aeria does are not well done, such as promotions, item mall related things, events, etc. Aeria's customer service however, if we are strictly referring to response time via ticket and quick resolution of problems, they do well. However, as a player, they aren't making me happy with their games.

SFplayer1

Rank 2
SFplayer1
Joined
23 Feb 2013
Posts
626
Location
Toronto Canada
PostedApr 29, 2013 7:21 pm
spacefire11 wrote:
I voted 5  

wut game is this ?!?! aeria is doing goood? wutt

bunnycentauri

Rank 0
bunnycentauri
Joined
26 Apr 2013
Posts
48
Location
United States
PostedApr 29, 2013 8:11 pm
**** look at that poll

looks like aeria gms gonna get the whoopin

Siviard

Rank 3
Siviard
Joined
22 Mar 2010
Posts
1072
Location
United States
PostedApr 29, 2013 8:23 pm
I would edit my previous post to include what I'm going to put here, but I can't remember what page it's on and don't feel like digging through my posts so I'll put it in a new post.

If I could decrease my rating from a 1 to a 0 I would so do it right now in an instant. The vast majority of forum posters and players in Scarlet blade have all come out and stated that we hate gamble/lottery boxes to the extreme. What's Aeria's idea then to release out next in the item mall? Why, another lottery box. There's not enough facepalms in the world to express the complete stupidity behind that move. Do you guys enjoy pissing off your player base or something?

Listen to your player base for once in your life. If they say they hate a certain item in the item mall, you really shouldn't put more of that type in it. It's common sense people.

minuzaki

Rank 4
Joined
08 Mar 2010
Posts
1620
Location
Hell. Denmark
PostedApr 29, 2013 8:50 pm
At this point, I give up. All "Feedback" is obviously falling on deaf ears. I'd rather spend my time doing something else than constantly yelling at a company for them not to even take the feedback into consideration. Any claims contrary to this would be nearly complete BS. The only games I see Aeria actually trying to preserve are the Anime-Based ones, and even they are reaching a decline. Slowly, but surely, Aeria will fade to nothing.

Poca a poca, diminuendo al fine.

has moved to aeriagames.com/user/Ayvii

pervddl

GameSage: Aeria Mobile
pervddl
Joined
10 Jun 2008
Posts
510
Location
Belo Horizonte Brazil
PostedApr 29, 2013 9:08 pm
PikaWaitWhat wrote:
uH.TopSecret wrote:
EA and AG are known for having the worst support ever.  


-Indeed...i avoid those 2...never gonna buy anything from EA again...and i am here just because AG have AVA....sadly.  





Seems you guys never played at Nexon or game campus rofl.

morroc.old

Rank 0
Joined
10 Dec 2012
Posts
49
Location
United States
PostedApr 29, 2013 9:21 pm
minuzaki wrote:
At this point, I give up. All "Feedback" is obviously falling on deaf ears. I'd rather spend my time doing something else than constantly yelling at a company for them not to even take the feedback into consideration. Any claims contrary to this would be nearly complete BS. The only games I see Aeria actually trying to preserve are the Anime-Based ones, and even they are reaching a decline. Slowly, but surely, Aeria will fade to nothing.

Poca a poca, diminuendo al fine.  
I highly disagree. Superman reads each and every post and analyzes the polls. He is trying, just give him a break!

minuzaki

Rank 4
Joined
08 Mar 2010
Posts
1620
Location
Hell. Denmark
PostedApr 29, 2013 9:27 pm
morroc.old wrote:
minuzaki wrote:
At this point, I give up. All "Feedback" is obviously falling on deaf ears. I'd rather spend my time doing something else than constantly yelling at a company for them not to even take the feedback into consideration. Any claims contrary to this would be nearly complete BS. The only games I see Aeria actually trying to preserve are the Anime-Based ones, and even they are reaching a decline. Slowly, but surely, Aeria will fade to nothing.

Poca a poca, diminuendo al fine.  
I highly disagree. Superman reads each and every post and analyzes the polls. He is trying, just give him a break!  
I have complete faith in Superman. His co-workers however, some of them make me want to palmface.

has moved to aeriagames.com/user/Ayvii
Display posts from previous:   Sort by: