kizik5

Rank 2
kizik5
PostedApr 21, 2013 2:15 am

Signature size limit BS.

Okay, so this signature size stuff, I do not understand the following
"...and a file size of 120kb."
Do they mean the actual file size? Because if they do that pretty much shoots down .GIFs as signatures, and also, how the heck would it even matter if it's through IMG code links anyway?
Do they possibly mean the BANDWITH of the associated file? Because that stat on Imgur isn't there to just be there, and if that is what they mean then, well ****, they should make it a bit clearer.
Any staff, since the way things here are more confusing than trying to read Brazilian mumbo jumbo, please tell me, does this meet the requirements for signatures?

Advertisement

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
PostedApr 21, 2013 3:04 am
They're talking about the actual file size. Your GIF's file size is 577 kB, so it doesn't comply with the Signature Limit Rules. You can lower the quality on the GIF to decrease the file size, but it's honestly hard to get a GIF to go under 120 kB and don't be over the top horrible in quality.

kizik5

Rank 2
kizik5
PostedApr 21, 2013 3:09 am
iBambi wrote:
They're talking about the actual file size. Your GIF's file size is 577 kB, so it doesn't comply with the Signature Limit Rules. You can lower the quality on the GIF to decrease the file size, but it's honestly hard to get a GIF to go under 120 kB and don't be over the top horrible in quality.  

It's extremely stupid how an embedded image's size even matters.

kizik5

Rank 2
kizik5
PostedApr 21, 2013 3:12 am
Oh and I just love how GSs are allowed to have signatures about 500kb in size.

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
PostedApr 21, 2013 3:25 am
kizik5 wrote:

A lot of people have them, tagged or not. They don't follow up on it very well.

kizik5

Rank 2
kizik5
PostedApr 21, 2013 3:26 am
iBambi wrote:
kizik5 wrote:

A lot of people have them, tagged or not. They don't follow up on it very well.  

It's a load of bologna.

Panderp.

Rank 4
Panderp.
PostedApr 21, 2013 6:02 am
just report it when you see it and they'll be removed. Let everyone feel your pain!

This is why I don't play DWO

xybolt

Rank 5.2
xybolt
PostedApr 21, 2013 6:28 am

Re: Signature size limit BS.

kizik5 wrote:
QQ  

A GM had removed my signature before because it was one pixel too high. I didn't even have to QQ to the reason that the sig contains a little mini 700 pixels too much. Better, i'm laughing with that action because it's so awkward. But i don't QQ.

It's listed to reduce the load time and provide better flow through forums. If there is a page with 10 posts with signatures above 500kB, then you have to wait a bit to read the page because the server is pretty slow with passing data packages >.>

in short ; rules are rules. Follow or violate it. It's up to you, but don't complain afterwards.

signature of xybolt

Mehrvigne

GameSage: Shaiya
Mehrvigne
PostedApr 25, 2013 1:18 am
I'm a GS and I've had someone tell me my file was too big. I didn't realize PNGs were so much larger than gifs since they have millions of transparency colors. Easy fix: put a light colored outline on it, saved it again and it seriously cut down on the file size. It met the parameters just not the file size.

You may be able to make the file smaller by opening the file in a program like Image Ready and removing every 3rd frame. It may not really make that big of a difference, but sometimes reducing the amount of frames in an animated gif can lower the file size.

But as xybolt said, it's mainly for load purposes for the page. This is a forum to read, not an art forum. (but if you can get a piece of art within those limitations, power to ya! Very Happy There's some really talented people out there.

noordin_ngentot

Rank 5
noordin_ngentot
PostedApr 25, 2013 4:53 am
Just change it JPEG file, it will guarantee your pic to be within the allowed size, more often than not.