Bryan.Fury

Rank 3
Bryan.Fury
PostedApr 29, 2013 11:01 am
Giovanna_X wrote:
filipvarga wrote:
FPS is not equal to Lag.

Frames per second is the number of frames of an animation displayed every second, also called Frame Rate.
The higher the FPS, the smoother the animation. If the FPS is too low, you will most likely freeze or have lowered gameplay speed, but that is not lag, it is simply slow graphic procession which depends on your system power.

Latency is the right definition for lag. Latency is a communication issue between devices (the Server and your Personal Computer). It is the transmission delay between sending and receiving data, which causes your character to port back to a previous location during walking, skill delays etc.

It has been described numerous times and I do not know why people still do not get it.  

Actually, we have here a matter of equivocation due to a word with multiple meanings.

"Latency" is vague and ambiguous, because what Flip is describing as "latency" is actually more precisely known as "communication latency" (sometimes called "ping"), or "synchronization latency" (which is slightly different from ping). However, when we speak of "latency," we generally mean "server latency." Neither of these is identical to "lag," but lag is one symptom of server latency, and synchronization issues as well as ping can simulate lag. FPS is something else, which has been defined accurately in Flip's previous post.

So, to sum up, we have several different things here which the average person will confuse.

1. FPS -- Frames per second, or framerate -- which is user-side (but in the case of DKO, the issue is with the program itself, not the user's machine -- it is still user-side, though, because the program is on the user's machine, but nevertheless, since the program is the source of the issue, the responsibility for fixing it lies with the program's developers).

2. "Lag" -- a symptom of Server Latency -- which is server-side.

3. Communication Latency -- the round-trip time of a "packet" (chunk of data) -- which is "Ping" -- allegedly affected by distance of player's computer from server (although this is a vast oversimplification and omits other factors involved, including issues with routing nodes and other intermediate devices such as bridges and switches, the medium of transmission, efficiency of data buffers, etc).

4. Synchronization -- This is your computer, the server, and the computers of others in your immediate vicinity in-game trying to synchronize -- which is a combination of server-side, user-side, and other-user-side.

5. SERVER LATENCY -- essentially, "server response time," that is, how long it takes the server to respond to data that has been input by users -- this is server-side and is affected by a variety of things, including strain (a large amount of users sending a large number of packets of whatever size in a short time and in a specific game zone) -- one of the symptoms of Server Latency is "lag," but there are other symptoms (including disconnections, "account already in use" messages, etc). Server Latency is often resolved by a server restart.

I hope this clarifies things, rather than further muddying the waters.  
I think i already said that about 94239042390423 times (I can't find the post, i really don't remember what topic i wrote) and people still don't want to understand that..

The main problem Gio is that people don't want to undestand that FPS is not LAG and LAG is not FPS, they are two totally different thing.

Beside that, I have to make a correction on your definition of FPS and the one said by Flip. FPS is NOT ever user side. FPS problems are basically 50%-50%.

It depend on your hardware power, BUT ALSO on the game engine optimization. If a game engine is NOT optimized to a large scale of hardware type (or not optimized at all, with the basic codes of rendering rules, like DK), a portion of players will take the issue.

BryanFury - Leader |Site|Forum|
Advertisement

holyguardianvii

Rank 0
holyguardianvii
PostedMay 02, 2013 10:26 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, and also, I know I am possibly opening Pandora's box. (But who cares!) Very Happy

Lag can cause a drop in FPS. However, FPS can not create lag nor cause lag. Ping also or most likely (more than lag) can drop your FPS.

Giovanna_X

GameSage: DK Online
Giovanna_X
PostedMay 03, 2013 2:09 am
holyguardianvii wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, and also, I know I am possibly opening Pandora's box. (But who cares!) Very Happy

Lag can cause a drop in FPS. However, FPS can not create lag nor cause lag.  

Part 1: Correct. Part 2: Correct (however, a bad FPS can mimic lag).

holyguardianvii wrote:
Ping also or most likely (more than lag) can drop your FPS.  

Incorrect.

"Ping" is simply the time it takes for a packet to make a round trip from your computer to some server and back again. Ping is neither good nor bad in itself; you can have a bad ping or a good ping or a horrific ping or a terrific ping or a tolerable ping ... (etc), and this may change from time to time due to various factors.

blackdragon214

Rank 1
blackdragon214
PostedMay 03, 2013 2:17 am
20 years later and you guys will still argue about who is right and who is not >_>

Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You will find me there, staring out at you!

Verzavus

Rank 0
PostedMay 03, 2013 2:35 am
Weren't we supposed to be kept up to date upon the maintenance progress?

blackdragon214

Rank 1
blackdragon214
PostedMay 03, 2013 2:49 am
no news = no progress so meh what update could they give on that

Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You will find me there, staring out at you!

filipvarga

GameSage: DK Online
filipvarga
PostedMay 03, 2013 4:59 am
I'd say, not enough progress to make it worth writing news about.
The Server has been closed only for a week by now.

Mars.Ultor

Rank 0
Mars.Ultor
PostedMay 03, 2013 9:04 am
I'm sure the problems are being fixed, 45% sure about that, other 55% don't ask...

Posted By Aeria Mobile

Scalinger2

Rank 0
Scalinger2
PostedMay 03, 2013 2:44 pm
blackdragon214 wrote:
20 years later and you guys will still argue about who is right and who is not >_>  
+1

sough990

Rank 0
PostedMay 05, 2013 2:15 pm
when open server?

or game die??