Author Message

arphila_wolf

Rank 0
arphila_wolf
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Posts
83
Location
United States
PostedApr 15, 2013 8:44 pm
teamvortex wrote:
arphila_wolf wrote:
It's called "gambling" for a reason.  


Gambling is a CHANCE of winning BASED off the odds. If the odds do not add up its a rigged game. Simple as that.  


Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods. Typically, the outcome of the wager is evident within a short period.
Advertisement

PurpleMousie

Rank 1
PurpleMousie
Joined
06 Dec 2011
Posts
334
Location
Under the bed United Kingdom
PostedApr 15, 2013 8:45 pm
The graphic of the wheel used should not be thought of as mathematically correct in any way.
As you seem to have noticed the chance of one tile being struck is not the same as the next.
A common device used in gambling systems to trick your mind into believing you have a greater chance than you do.


Also 1 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 10 ≠ 15 total

teamvortex

Rank 0
Joined
26 Apr 2007
Posts
21
PostedApr 15, 2013 8:50 pm
PurpleMousie wrote:
The graphic of the wheel used should not be thought of as mathematically correct in any way.
As you seem to have noticed the chance of one tile being struck is not the same as the next.
A common device used in gambling systems to trick your mind into believing you have a greater chance than you do.


Also 1 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 10 ≠ 15 total  


oh that was my bad its suppose to be 7 not 10, all the % are right though and everything stands just had to change that 10 to a 7 my bad.

teamvortex

Rank 0
Joined
26 Apr 2007
Posts
21
PostedApr 15, 2013 8:57 pm
For the record I know what gambling is and I know what a RIGGED game is and all I was saying is the Narak loot wheel IS in fact rigged... which it is.

I am not arguing the understanding of gambling and on that note NO... not all gambling is rigged only rigged machines which oh hey guess what, a machine that is ever found to be rigged by the authorities of a gambling commission for that gambling state gets slapped with very heavy fines or is even shut down.

So NO RIGGED does not = gambling you guys got it all wrong

Rigged system = bad gambling practice.

As a matter a fact seeing how its CALLED gambling and you use real money to play it I am kind of wondering what my states laws are on this.

Just cause you guys accept that a rigged system is rigged does not mean others have to. If you are fine putting your head in the sand and being bent over then more power to you but that does not mean I have to be that person as well.

arphila_wolf

Rank 0
arphila_wolf
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Posts
83
Location
United States
PostedApr 15, 2013 9:05 pm
teamvortex wrote:
For the record I know what gambling is and I know what a RIGGED game is and all I was saying is the Narak loot wheel IS in fact rigged... which it is.

I am not arguing the understanding of gambling and on that note NO... not all gambling is rigged only rigged machines which oh hey guess what, a machine that is ever found to be rigged by the authorities of a gambling commission for that gambling state gets slapped with very heavy fines or is even shut down.

So NO RIGGED does not = gambling you guys got it all wrong

Rigged system = bad gambling practice.

As a matter a fact seeing how its CALLED gambling and you use real money to play it I am kind of wondering what my states laws are on this.

Just cause you guys accept that a rigged system is rigged does not mean others have to. If you are fine putting your head in the sand and being bent over then more power to you but that does not mean I have to be that person as well.  


Clearly you're just upset because you didn't win anything good.

I'm not saying the system is rigged.
I'm also not saying that the system isn't rigged.

I have not bothered to spend AP on this loot wheel but you should not be complaining this much when all you've spent is 20$. I hardly think that gives you a valid reason too call out if a gambling system is rigged or not.

You knew it was a gamble, you took the risk. Don't complain about what you got in return.

PurpleMousie

Rank 1
PurpleMousie
Joined
06 Dec 2011
Posts
334
Location
Under the bed United Kingdom
PostedApr 15, 2013 9:14 pm
It is not rigged.
The image provided of the wheel is related to the gamble only graphically. It is not to be taken as a mathematic representation. It does not state that the wheel in anyway is to be used as an actual representation of the odds of the game. This link is provided by the mind alone, which yes leads you to believe what you are saying, but none the less is entirely fictional.

AlchemistMeg

Rank 0
AlchemistMeg
Joined
27 Mar 2013
Posts
29
Location
That town over there United States
PostedApr 15, 2013 9:30 pm
teamvortex wrote:
..........................................................
As a matter a fact seeing how its CALLED gambling and you use real money to play it I am kind of wondering what my states laws are on this.

................................................  


That does not matter at all unless you live in the state that Aeria is located in. Laws will be based on the laws of its location not yours (if different)

To your main post though, its gambling, the odds are always stacked far against you no matter what the percentatges say.

Disclaimer: The above post does not necessarily reflect the views of Meg, subsidiaries, parent companies or stockholders. In fact, most of them do not think much of Meg as she is a ditz.

Rekikyo

Rank 5.1
Rekikyo
Joined
25 Nov 2008
Posts
8436
Location
Gaia Adrion Necria United States
PostedApr 15, 2013 9:46 pm
teamvortex wrote:
PurpleMousie wrote:
Where on Earth did you get the notion that each tile of the wheel has the same chance to be hit?
Gambling is like onions, evil and will make you cry.  


LMAO the laws of probability, if there is nothing stated that the chance is lower and the math does not add up then its what is known as RIGGED. I agree with you there is a less chance to hit the 47% of the wheel and though it shows to be 47% it could be more in fact DUE to the way they designed it more like 5% THIS... THIS VERY THING is what makes it rigged. That is just about the definition of rigged lol.

I am not saying the wheel has to follows the laws of science I am just saying when it does not that means it is RIGGED.

THUS they have RIGGED the wheel to give a LESSER chance to give you what would be VIEWED AS a 47% chance to win a 10 pack.

Just to sum it up I said "hey guys the wheel is rigged" and you said "no you got it all wrong the wheel is rigged" lol  


What you quoted wasn't the probabilities. It was the odds.

There is actually a decent probability that you will land on those two areas 10 times.

That being said: no, Loot wheels tend to be weighted per slide Jackpot is more like 1% and a winning prize is about 5%. Exceptional prizes around 10%. Go by the color coding on the wheel to decide which goes in which category.

And even then, remember, probability of getting a success on a 5% in 20 tries is not 100%. It's more like 62.2% probability of success.
10% on 20 tries is more like 72.98%
20% on 20 tries is more like 94.23%

In other words, you can lose a betting game over 5% of the time, even on 20 attempts at 20%. You can lose a betting game about 27% of the time at 10%. You can lose a betting game 37.8% of the time at 5%.

Your 10 tries is a bad sample size as well.

Also, keep in mind, it's a digital program, and RNG's sometimes hiccup and give repeating results.

So no. I don't consider it rigged. They don't have to rig it. The low rate of success rigs it for them.

draakdorei

Rank 3
draakdorei
Joined
01 Dec 2012
Posts
925
Location
Texas United States
PostedApr 15, 2013 9:57 pm
AlchemistMeg wrote:
teamvortex wrote:
..........................................................
As a matter a fact seeing how its CALLED gambling and you use real money to play it I am kind of wondering what my states laws are on this.

................................................  


That does not matter at all unless you live in the state that Aeria is located in. Laws will be based on the laws of its location not yours (if different)

To your main post though, its gambling, the odds are always stacked far against you no matter what the percentatges say.  


Yes, it is gambling. US Laws currently do not have legislation stating one way or the other on it because there is no cash payout if you win and virtual items have no value and are not owned by the players.

Massively has a pretty good article about gamble boxes and why they're popular:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/17/the-perfect-ten-the-truth-about-lockboxes/

Rekikyo

Rank 5.1
Rekikyo
Joined
25 Nov 2008
Posts
8436
Location
Gaia Adrion Necria United States
PostedApr 15, 2013 10:40 pm
draakdorei wrote:
AlchemistMeg wrote:
teamvortex wrote:
..........................................................
As a matter a fact seeing how its CALLED gambling and you use real money to play it I am kind of wondering what my states laws are on this.

................................................  


That does not matter at all unless you live in the state that Aeria is located in. Laws will be based on the laws of its location not yours (if different)

To your main post though, its gambling, the odds are always stacked far against you no matter what the percentatges say.  


Yes, it is gambling. US Laws currently do not have legislation stating one way or the other on it because there is no cash payout if you win and virtual items have no value and are not owned by the players.

Massively has a pretty good article about gamble boxes and why they're popular:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/17/the-perfect-ten-the-truth-about-lockboxes/  


That's actually a fairly flawed article written from the perspective of player assumption, and even cites D3's RMT as legal regulation towards gambling (D3's RMT is not a gamble; It's a market where people sell virtual goods for money on an AH).

Also, calling them gambles is inaccurate from a legal standpoint. Gambling requires Remuneration (A monetary payment for services), Consideration (A contract agreeing to a specific reward), and Compensation (some sort of reward for playing), and Chance (a lack of skill required to play, based on simple odds).

Aeria and many other game providers, avoid Remuneration. You do not get anything of tangible value back for your money. It is a digital item you recieve, which has no tangible value. Some of their so-called gambles also avoid Consideration. For example, the in game gatcha boxes; you never agreed to purchase them, so you never agreed to take on the liability for what the box contains.

Your article speaks more to the addictive nature of boxes, than anything else.

For the record: Laws about gambling are also interstate and international. Other state's laws do dictate what gambling is. However, no state has a Remuneration definition that includes digital items. In fact, gambling legislation is getting looser as time goes by, because many states who have outlawed it, are now looking at it as a credible source of taxation.

Display posts from previous:   Sort by: