LalaHeat

Rank 1
LalaHeat
PostedApr 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Forest of Woes... (AKA Forest of Unknown)

Most commonly known to turn people into full fledge arsonists when they walk into a forest....
Well, seeing as how a huge bracket from like 23- 32 ish all the quests revolve around Forest of Unkown and the Lost temple beyond it. I figured we should have a thread dedicated to the woes inflicted upon the general Litos population by the aggravating Forest and its infuriating undead denizens.

Many a times I have seen a hapless wanderer run headlong into the forest, obviously praying that they can make it to the other side just to enter the Temple. I must say, for mid level, the Forest and Temple are arguable the most ffrustratingly difficult. If only in the sense that every mob in the forest has a very high aggro rate and they respawn at an alarmin rate, usually already surrounding you. I myself have alas, thrown my elemental at the 'wolves' and ran while they were focused on it.... Just so I could spend a few moments at the temple to finish off a few quests. and then cursed my luck when i realized I had no more potions left and had to teleport back to Baston.

So in this thread, i was hoping for a chance for everyone to share their agony and foul memories of this place. Hopefully we can together come up with a plan to traverse this forest with minimal heartache, and the least amount of punch to our gold pouches, seeing as how high pots can get.

Advertisement

Arsalem

Rank 1
Arsalem
PostedApr 08, 2013 10:13 pm

My Personal Favorite

Skarr Lord of the Dead
I always try to intervene when I see this, at the cost of my own xp, but my favorite boss, dear old skarr tends to chase down and one hit quite a few players as they try to ride through the forest. So here is an image of early me, attempting to keep skarr and a gaggle of his spawn busy. Smile

Needless to say... I died. Promptly. lol

I get my revenge quite often now, thanks to all my loving members from LD who put up with my boss hunting whims. Wink

Courtesy of Emralyn, Lalaheat & filipvarga <br> GL- LucidDream

filipvarga

GameSage: DK Online
filipvarga
PostedApr 08, 2013 11:11 pm
It would be nice if players had another place to grind, because Temple is boring.
Yes, stronger players could eventually party up at Orcish Base at about lv34-35, but that is not the point. Another area with 28-34 mobs for a change would be a nice addition, so people are not bound to Temple for 6-7 levels.
This addition is not quite necessary at the moment, as DKO has more important things to fix.

LalaHeat

Rank 1
LalaHeat
PostedApr 09, 2013 7:18 am
Well, there are two areas around baston that are ok to grind in to lvl up, I was more refering to the fact that, from my standpoint, the Lost temple and Forest of Unknown quest chain/bracket is a definate casual gamer quiting point, or even an inexperienced or somewhat experienced gamer quitting point. I myself consider myself a hardcore gamer, but not an experienced player, and the only reason im still trying to get past the forest, is cuz I have this ocd thing where i have to do EVERY quest...

Don't get me wrong, this thread is NOT a "help, someone add something to take the place of that stupid forest'

It's just a discussion thread, about how other gamers handle this quest chain/bracket/area. Which, now that i think, this might need to be moved to a game-play related thread. though, honestly, flip have you looked at that section of the forums, the only sections used are the reporting and guild, gameplay and guides are hardly touched... So here might be best...

filipvarga

GameSage: DK Online
filipvarga
PostedApr 09, 2013 11:31 am

flip have you looked at that section of the forums, the only sections used are the reporting and guild, gameplay and guides are hardly touched... So here might be best...  

Why are you calling me up? Have I said anything wrong in my previous post?
I did not mention anything negative about this Topic nor that it should be moved.

I am sorry for the derail as I should have PMed you, but you have a setting that does not allow people to PM you.

Please ignore this post and continue with the discussion.

LalaHeat

Rank 1
LalaHeat
PostedApr 09, 2013 11:47 am
Nope, i was just wondering if I might have put this in the wrong category (oh and that explains why noone talks to me...)

back on subject, as to the massive quests regarding lost temple, how lucrative is the temple quest chain, I've heard that most just skip it. And as for the forest... I'm sticking to I wish i could just burn it to the ground lol. Buut seriously, i hate running thru it cuz there are other players in it. I personally hate it when a dude runs by me and their aggroed mob latches onto me, but in the forest, one cant help it. Unless we're lucky enough to get more of those teleport scrolls w/o rl money. And from what i gather, the first and only time i made inside the temple, the enemies seem to be 10x tougher than their forest counterparts...

Nornkitty

Rank 2
Nornkitty
PostedApr 09, 2013 11:57 am
If you hate running through the forest then you're in for a world of hate in the temple, enemies EVERYWHERE except where you enter and exit floors and in the middle, other than that good luck trying to get through it. You'll either lag so much and die from monsters if you try running from point A to point B or get so fed up that you can't even get anywhere because you have monsters every step you take, in the small hallways to the big hallways and that's on ALL of the floors.

I have other complaints about this game as to why I don't play it anymore but I'll save them for another time and another day.

-Norn-

Arsalem

Rank 1
Arsalem
PostedApr 09, 2013 1:10 pm
I was just remembering the change in damage done to us by the mobs inside the temple compared to now.

In cb, I was primarily dex with 2 in str, and 3 in con as a war. I was able to solo slow spawning rooms on the first floor if the temple without pots for a while. With the sorceress speed buff, I could run from the start of the first floor to the end of the second floor unhindered by too much damage. Floor 3 was trickier.

In the obst (I refer to the stress test as the open beta stress test as it was originally put out to us as) it was much more difficult, and I needed to be healed and run pots constantly while attempting this.

Now, I can run around in circles on the 1st-5th floors, but require heavy healing and tons of pots when i stop or regroup with my party. Its definitely not a safe place to solo most of the time. :/

LalaHeat

Rank 1
LalaHeat
PostedApr 09, 2013 1:22 pm
hm... maybe i should rethink the rest of my skill plan... i was gonna pass up the speed buff... never thought it'd be handy running through that... but the cool down is the killer...

btw, your siggy is working... i think, at least now i can see the red one i did for you where it has three arlems...

so is the speed buff worth it...

Arsalem

Rank 1
Arsalem
PostedApr 09, 2013 1:31 pm
As a lover of speed, I say yes. There are things you can do with a high enough movement speed you just can't do anywhere else. My foolish antics during rvrs I attend can testify to that, as well as the dance Caprontos and I do each time we meet each other in Baston during CS.

When it comes to basic travel questih and grinding through hot spots for mob agros though, I'd say you will need some kind of speed buff, ESPECIALLY soloing.

Keep in mind, the sorceress speed and the speed potion replace eachother, so that one cannot be stacked. Also, the pally and sm speeds replace one another so those also cannot be stacked. So if you wanted, you could maintain your current build and just spend quite a pretty penny on speed pots.