Author Message

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
Joined
05 Oct 2010
Posts
4849
Location
Whale hunting in Norway
PostedApr 05, 2013 12:13 am
Persiangato wrote:
The targeting system is not simply going to base it solely on your PG cartoon webpage. It will take into your browsing, search and mailing history. As Leo stated, the fact that you're encountering them means that there's a connection between Scarlet Blade and your Internet history.

Aeria Games and Free-2-Play MMOs appear to be in your history given that you play an Aeria Game, which is a F2P MMO and are currently using the Aeria forums.

If you're using Google, you can actually remove all targeting based ads if you'd like.
http://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922

You'll receive completely random ads instead from all Google based advertisements. If they're using a different provider, you'll still get them.  


Let's just include this and a disclaimer in the sign up process then. "This site is PG13, but unless you want to see sexually explicit advertisement, please go out of your way to set up your own settings, don't worry, still PG13." It's honestly not the children or their parents that should take responsibility to keep their browsing PG13, after signing up for a site that clearly states it's PG13.

Advertisement

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
Joined
11 Jun 2007
Posts
12163
Location
San Jose United States
PostedApr 05, 2013 6:05 am
Technature wrote:

So in other words, KOEI were the people who were too stupid to think website ads would be a good idea since Day 1? Funny how that works.

Also, it's spelled Marketing. Not marketting.
 


Well, to be honest. The means/locations of advertisement is up to us. They just set the budget that they are willing to spend. We do the rest. However, I do think that websited ads can bring fairly efficient returns on the money spent.

Technature

Rank 5
Technature
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Posts
3239
Location
United States
PostedApr 05, 2013 6:28 am
Whoever decided where to place the ads should be fired then (I agree on website ads can do something, but I only saw them on the DWO web page. Not gonna explain this one).

That being said, wouldn't it be possible to do advertisement without getting money from the original publishers? I'm sure they could be convinced to let you do advertisement if they didn't need to pay for all of it (which I wouldn't think would be a problem, considering the millions of people that play and probably pay for some of the games).

Some of the games REALLY need SOMETHING to boost the playerbase. I can only speak for DWO, but I know that it can be successful. There has to be a reason that this server, out of a total of four of them, is the only one to have less than 1k players in the entire game, and less players make it easier to cheat in the games campaign mode.

Ever wonder how Technature lives the life of a soldier?How about asking a person that doesn't actually exist questions? Then drop by Technature's blog and drop a letter.

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
Joined
11 Jun 2007
Posts
12163
Location
San Jose United States
PostedApr 05, 2013 7:39 am
Technature wrote:
That being said, wouldn't it be possible to do advertisement without getting money from the original publishers? I'm sure they could be convinced to let you do advertisement if they didn't need to pay for all of it (which I wouldn't think would be a problem, considering the millions of people that play and probably pay for some of the games).  


I supposed we could lay off GM's and use their salaries market someone elses product instead. However, marketing is expensive, and this wouldnt go far. Plus, I dont think that the players would appreciate even less/slower service (and I kinda like having a job myself).

You have to remember that Aeria's products are the website (Portal/GameSites/Forums/Etc)and Ignite. The games are owned by the developers, and they control them. It is not unreasonable to ask them to invest in their own products.

Panderp.

Rank 4
Panderp.
Joined
27 Apr 2012
Posts
2796
Location
The Moon Brazil
PostedApr 05, 2013 9:06 am
Superman0X wrote:
Technature wrote:
That being said, wouldn't it be possible to do advertisement without getting money from the original publishers? I'm sure they could be convinced to let you do advertisement if they didn't need to pay for all of it (which I wouldn't think would be a problem, considering the millions of people that play and probably pay for some of the games).  


I supposed we could lay off GM's and use their salaries market someone elses product instead. However, marketing is expensive, and this wouldnt go far. Plus, I dont think that the players would appreciate even less/slower service (and I kinda like having a job myself).

You have to remember that Aeria's products are the website (Portal/GameSites/Forums/Etc)and Ignite. The games are owned by the developers, and they control them. It is not unreasonable to ask them to invest in their own products.  
Considering their presence on DWO... we probably wouldn't notice if the GMs were laid off lol

This is why I don't play DWO

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
Joined
11 Jun 2007
Posts
12163
Location
San Jose United States
PostedApr 05, 2013 9:38 am
Panderp. wrote:
Considering their presence on DWO... we probably wouldn't notice if the GMs were laid off lol  


The same could be said about the air you breath. Just because you dont notice it when you have it, doesnt mean you wouldnt notice when it was gone.

ivanKaliayev

Rank 4
ivanKaliayev
Joined
01 Oct 2010
Posts
1913
Location
United States
PostedApr 05, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Problem solved!

Seriously, look up already!!!
First off, I don't really care about these ads. As a 21st century American, I have become numb to most forms of advertising. Why others don't ignore such ads is unknown to me.

Roundeyes wrote:
Hey I just had a brilliant idea! How about you try the most electrifying mmo aeria has released since hmm, umm well to be honest I don't think they have ever released anything this epic ever before! And also, don't be threatened by this games sexuality. Like dude seriously, that's sooo 2013. (oh, you say it is 2013? well hmm)  


Hmmm, since EE? Remind me how "electrifying" and "epic" SB is in two years, assuming it lasts that long.

Btw, where's the huge AP raffle incentive for SB?

outdatedconcept wrote:
If a game hasn't been advertised in years it is probably past its prime. DK Online was a flop of a game that I am perfectly fine with never playing again or seeing an ad for.

[I'm not mad so yadda yadda yadda this part]  


In general, a F2P game is past its prime the moment after peak cash shop sales are reached. SB kinda jumped the shark with $200 whatever packs during closed beta.

Panderp.

Rank 4
Panderp.
Joined
27 Apr 2012
Posts
2796
Location
The Moon Brazil
PostedApr 05, 2013 9:54 am
Superman0X wrote:
Panderp. wrote:
Considering their presence on DWO... we probably wouldn't notice if the GMs were laid off lol  


The same could be said about the air you breath. Just because you dont notice it when you have it, doesnt mean you wouldnt notice when it was gone.  
Difference is that the air hasn't not done it's job.

This is why I don't play DWO

jadenyuki84

Rank 5
jadenyuki84
Joined
10 Oct 2010
Posts
3419
Location
United States
PostedApr 05, 2013 10:12 am   Last edited by jadenyuki84 on Apr 05, 2013 10:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Same Way

GMLeo wrote:
Fair points, SE. However, as you've seen during your tenure here, we treat every newly released game the same way. That is to say, to get as many new players in to the game during launch of a new title, we take over just about every part of the Aeria domain for a few days to week to get the word out.

We've done this in the past with almost every major launch, and I think the only reason the complaints are coming in for this game is due to the adult overtones. It's a valid complaint, but I want to make sure we focus on the actual problem.

The good news is, it's a temporary push until the next new title comes in, or until we diversify the ads across multiple titles again. For example, EE received a big content patch recently, so we'll probably see some space dedicated to them again.

It's been an interesting road, and we appreciate all the feedback from you folks.
 


I don't think Dynasty Warriors Online has been treated the same as Scarlet Blade during its new released.

Superman0X

GameMaster: USA
Superman0X
Joined
11 Jun 2007
Posts
12163
Location
San Jose United States
PostedApr 05, 2013 10:15 am

Re: Same Way

jadenyuki84 wrote:
GMLeo wrote:
Fair points, SE. However, as you've seen during your tenure here, we treat every newly released game the same way. That is to say, to get as many new players in to the game during launch of a new title, we take over just about every part of the Aeria domain for a few days to week to get the word out.

We've done this in the past with almost every major launch, and I think the only reason the complaints are coming in for this game is due to the adult overtones. It's a valid complaint, but I want to make sure we focus on the actual problem.

The good news is, it's a temporary push until the next new title comes in, or until we diversify the ads across multiple titles again. For example, EE received a big content patch recently, so we'll probably see some space dedicated to them again.

It's been an interesting road, and we appreciate all the feedback from you folks.
 


I don't think Dynasty Warriors Online has been treated the same as Scarlet Blade during it's new released.  


You are very correct. We have definately improved the launch process a lot over the years. There is also a different level of comittment by the developer. Scarlet Blade is a new game (not just new to this region). Dynastly Warriors was not new when released here, and as such didnt have the same developer push.

Display posts from previous:   Sort by: