Kougen

Legendary Founder: Scarlet Blade
Kougen
PostedApr 02, 2013 12:15 am   Last edited by Kougen on Apr 06, 2013 6:18 pm. Edited 4 times in total

Item Mall Guide

How to play the Item Mall
Since the recent release of the Scarlet Blade Item Mall apparently caught many many players off guard, here is your guide to not getting scammed by Aeria.

The Rules

1. Never buy a lottery box. This includes any item that promises to give "1 of the following" items and then lists several. Usually this is a list of junk items and one good thing. The odds of getting the good item are so extremely low that you can expect to spend over $500 and still not get what you wanted. Do not buy it.

2. Never, ever buy a lottery box.

3. Do not buy anything unless a tiered spender promotion is active. A tiered spender promotion is a special offer where you will be given extra items for spending a certain amount of AP, usually in a week period. If you spend enough to qualify for a higher tier, you will also receive the items for the lower tier.

4. Do not impulse buy. While the stock in the mall does rotate, it is very unusual for any item to go away forever. Highly desirable items like costumes will usually come back as tiered spender rewards, and even let you choose which character class if the item is restricted.

5. When you buy, plan carefully and aim for the practical items.

For example:

There's a tiered spender offering prizes for 3000, 5000, and 8000 AP. You want the 8000 AP item being offered and because you've been following this guide and saving your money it's in your budget. Now you need to select some sensible purchases to meet your tier. Only go for practical one-shot items and consumables that are either tradable or have the highest use in game.

50 Pack Narak Relic T - 4999 AP (Everyone will need these)
Pearlflame Sleipnir - 2999 AP (One of the best items currently on offer, and you have a 100% chance of getting it)
Fetch Pet Datachip L1 - 99 AP (Useful, cheap, makes up the last 2 AP)
Total - 8097 (No waste!)

Now sit back and enjoy your items. No piles of consumable junk, no frustrations over throwing your cash at nothing.

The Loot Wheel

The loot wheel is the straightforward, honest-about-what-it-is place for players who like to try their luck. Personally, I only use the loot wheel when I want to make a tier for a promotion and there's just absolutely nothing I want in the regular mall. The loot wheel is decent enough, you actually have a "real" chance of getting a big payout and unless you manage to spin the worst prize every single time you will pretty much get what you pay for. Just keep in mind that it is still one random prize per spin and your loot is not guaranteed.

Bonus Ladder

Official GM Guide here

The most important thing to understand about the Bonus Ladder is that the tiers do not stack and reset every time you select a prize. In other words, if you build up to tier 6 and claim a tier 1 prize, you will get nothing else. You start back at 0. To maximize the benefit of a bonus ladder, buy VERY carefully and take your target prize out immediately before buying again.

Notes:

- The 69 AP shop is a pretty fair deal and some of the few things in the mall that are responsibly priced. The free pet especially is a great example of where you're getting a good value for your money.

- Sometimes items on the web mall will also be available on the in-game mall for two different prices, such as currently with the fetch chip being 199 on the web and 99 in game. This is usually a mistake by Aeria that they will correct as soon as someone points it out. Be extra careful when buying things right after a stock change because of this.

- Other times things will be cheaper simply because they are part of a package or a promotion. This is the time to snag anything you cannot live without.

Important note from PM Pufferfish:
aeria.puffer wrote:
To those of you discussing the Replicubes and Random Boxes, please keep in mind that while we are listening to your suggestions for future Item Mall updates, chance-based boxes are a staple of free-to-play games and that we have consistently used them as a way to release special items in many other Aeria games as well.  
Emphasis mine. Although Aeria is standing firm on its decision to use chance boxes to mop up the cash, keep in mind that just because an item appears in a lucky box the first time does not mean it will never be available another way. Some time after the initial release these items may still become available through direct purchase or as a tiered spender reward. Basically, when this happens depends on two variables. 1. Whether Aeria is comfortable with increasing the supply and decreasing the rarity of the item. This includes considerations such as game balance and whether better items are available. 2. Whether Aeria thinks it has milked the lucky boxes for everything they're going to get through them.

Final thought:
Don't let the item mall play you. Everything in it is optional.
Advertisement

kogashuko27

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
kogashuko27
PostedApr 02, 2013 2:04 am

Re: Item Mall Guide

How to play the Item Mall
Great words of wisdom, thanks!

Lleksu

Rank 0
Lleksu
PostedApr 02, 2013 3:27 am
Excellent guide.

ddritual

Rank 0
ddritual
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:00 am
yup, i pass with gold n black bike

now i see fenrir eh sleipnir Very Happy

ansagon

Rank 1
ansagon
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:06 am
This is a Bible! Excellent!

Elepole

Rank 0
Elepole
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:06 am
I find it highly ironic it is a legendary founder who did this guide (As the legendary pack is a borderline scam).

GodofAcid

Rank 1
GodofAcid
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:08 am
The only thing I'd edit in this guide is the part about "Do not buy cubes". You have a CHANCE to get the better items, albeit a very, very low one. I am glad you did say that, but I think as long as people understand what they're spending their money on, it shouldn't be an issue.

You've made me VERY angry..

Kougen

Kougen
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:30 am
GodofAcid wrote:
but I think as long as people understand what they're spending their money on, it shouldn't be an issue.  

My guide is a roadmap to getting the best value for your dollar. If one has an extra $1000 to throw at random boxes for a small chance to win something, more power to them. But I wouldn't expect that person to turn around and come post an angry message on the boards about how they just got ripped off.
Elepole wrote:
I find it highly ironic it is a legendary founder who did this guide (As the legendary pack is a borderline scam).  

Eh. I got exactly what I paid for and expected. The fact that I'm a legendary founder who is only spending 207 AP (69x3) on the current Item Mall while everyone else is complaining should really speak volumes for the credibility of this guide.

OSUBeaver

GameSage: Forum
OSUBeaver
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:36 am
Kudos!

Just plain Beaver now.

KITEl.SS

KITEl.SS
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:49 am
Perfect guide :< Now it feel like I can make a healthy start