Author Message

sleep9223

Rank 0
Joined
02 Apr 2013
Posts
3
Location
United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 3:55 pm
You know it's kinda funny that the people making this list are no better then the ones they list. Your motives seem pretty obvious to me.

Posted By Aeria Mobile
Advertisement

itsjoyjason

Rank 0
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Posts
96
Location
United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 7:49 pm
sleep9223 wrote:
You know it's kinda funny that the people making this list are no better then the ones they list. Your motives seem pretty obvious to me.  


Generally speaking for any bugs or glitches that might occur on an online game...

1) It's just annoying for everyone (e.g. Ruby not appearing)
*) Company needs to fix it ASAP

2) Positive effect for the player, no harmful effect for anyone else
*) Heck, abuse the crap out of it. Why would I care? O_o;; (If somehow all this glitch did was add STA, and there was no way to "restat" it anywhere else, I wouldn't be talking. Have fun spamming story mode...)

3) Positive effect for the player, detrimental for others (e.g. more stat points/assists that give you the upper hand in brawls)
*) Player needs to be banned for abusing it.

Your last sentense also suggests that you're one of these abusers as well.
kthxbye

dlmeadows2010

Rank 0
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Posts
82
Location
United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 8:00 pm
I'm in agreement here. Though banning is harsh. I'd say removal of prizes won through abuse is punishment enough.as well as a BP reset on accounts.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

sleep9223

Rank 0
Joined
02 Apr 2013
Posts
3
Location
United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 8:25 pm
You seem to have missed my point. all I'm saying is that it can all be reported properly. The fact that you've gone out of your way to publicly shame people just shows your need for vengeance. It's well documented that rewarding negative behavior only encourages more negative behavior. In that way you are actually frustrating your own intention. While it is true that I agree with you I also don't think two wrongs make a right. That was the point of my comment.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

dlmeadows2010

Rank 0
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Posts
82
Location
United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 9:55 pm
sleep9223 wrote:
You seem to have missed my point. all I'm saying is that it can all be reported properly. The fact that you've gone out of your way to publicly shame people just shows your need for vengeance. It's well documented that rewarding negative behavior only encourages more negative behavior. In that way you are actually frustrating your own intention. While it is true that I agree with you I also don't think two wrongs make a right. That was the point of my comment.  


I agree with this as well. Though most forums I visit have a rule against no call outs that would publicly humiliate or defame players.

demona01

Rank 0
demona01
Joined
16 May 2008
Posts
162
Location
linwood United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 10:23 pm
Banning actually is an appropriate punishment for several reasons.

First off, since these guys are hacking in such a bold, public and obvious manner then I think it's pretty fair to say that they aren't limiting themselves to just boosting their friend count, they're most likely also giving themselves gold, jugs and chickens, meaning that they aren't just cheating, they're also stealing from Aeria - what business doesn't ban known shoplifters?

Taking away their rewards is rather difficult as they've most likely already used said rewards to level their cards, banning ensures that the stolen rewards are actually taken away from them.

So why not simply reset their accounts to those of starting players instead? Simple - they cheated once, do you really think they'll say "I learned my lesson, I wont cheat again?" No, they'll just use the same cheats to try to restore what they lost.

Banning also serves as a real deterrent as it is a punishment that many players aren't going to be willing to risk - taking away the brawl points they earned wont phase them since they've already benefited from the deck building aspects of the cheating.

As for the claims of publicly outing them somehow being an equal evil to the cheating/stealing that they're doing, I say "good!" If the thought of the few dozen people who are even semi-regular on this forum knowing that you're a cheater is something you find that dreadful then that means that it's an effective deterrent to cheating like this.

And as sarcastic as that might sound, one need only think back to the old time punishment of putting criminals on public display in the stocks - the public humiliation shamed offenders into behaving and discouraged others from misbehaving due to fear of bringing that sort of shame onto themselves and their families.

As for the complaint that the people outing them are seeking revenge - yeah, most likely - what of it?

Every guild brawl that they've won by this cheating is stealing from the guild they went up against.

Every bottle they've unfairly won in bottle brawls is stolen from a player who earned it.

And since the prizes in events are based off of your placing, that means that every one of them is stealing a prize from the players that missed a given rank by the number of them that are cheating. Same thing for guilds - every guild that just missed placing by one rank lost that placing to this guild cheating.

So as you can see, both the players and Aeria have very valid reasons for wanting to see these players removed from the game and other players be discouraged from engaging in similar behavior.

GearsOfFate

Rank 0
GearsOfFate
Joined
25 Jan 2013
Posts
106
Location
Victoria Canada
PostedApr 02, 2013 10:41 pm
demona01 wrote:
Banning actually is an appropriate punishment for several reasons.

First off, since these guys are hacking in such a bold, public and obvious manner then I think it's pretty fair to say that they aren't limiting themselves to just boosting their friend count, they're most likely also giving themselves gold, jugs and chickens, meaning that they aren't just cheating, they're also stealing from Aeria - what business doesn't ban known shoplifters?  


Actually, it was an exploitation of a bug in-game, they don't have the power to give themselves gold or shop items via this.


demona01 wrote:
Taking away their rewards is rather difficult as they've most likely already used said rewards to level their cards, banning ensures that the stolen rewards are actually taken away from them.

So why not simply reset their accounts to those of starting players instead? Simple - they cheated once, do you really think they'll say "I learned my lesson, I wont cheat again?" No, they'll just use the same cheats to try to restore what they lost.  


While I don't disagree with the punishment, the last paragraph isn't quite correct. The bug has been fixed so they can no longer exploit it. They may however continue to search for exploits if remaining in game.


demona01 wrote:
Banning also serves as a real deterrent as it is a punishment that many players aren't going to be willing to risk - taking away the brawl points they earned wont phase them since they've already benefited from the deck building aspects of the cheating.

As for the claims of publicly outing them somehow being an equal evil to the cheating/stealing that they're doing, I say "good!" If the thought of the few dozen people who are even semi-regular on this forum knowing that you're a cheater is something you find that dreadful then that means that it's an effective deterrent to cheating like this.

And as sarcastic as that might sound, one need only think back to the old time punishment of putting criminals on public display in the stocks - the public humiliation shamed offenders into behaving and discouraged others from misbehaving due to fear of bringing that sort of shame onto themselves and their families.

As for the complaint that the people outing them are seeking revenge - yeah, most likely - what of it?

Every guild brawl that they've won by this cheating is stealing from the guild they went up against.

Every bottle they've unfairly won in bottle brawls is stolen from a player who earned it.

And since the prizes in events are based off of your placing, that means that every one of them is stealing a prize from the players that missed a given rank by the number of them that are cheating. Same thing for guilds - every guild that just missed placing by one rank lost that placing to this guild cheating.

So as you can see, both the players and Aeria have very valid reasons for wanting to see these players removed from the game and other players be discouraged from engaging in similar behavior.  


No comment on this part.


Regardless of what we say, Aeria will handle the repercussions.

demona01

Rank 0
demona01
Joined
16 May 2008
Posts
162
Location
linwood United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 10:56 pm
GearsOfFate wrote:
Actually, it was an exploitation of a bug in-game, they don't have the power to give themselves gold or shop items via this.  


Ah, figured that they "jailbroke" their phones to achieve the affect.

 
While I don't disagree with the punishment, the last paragraph isn't quite correct. The bug has been fixed so they can no longer exploit it. They may however continue to search for exploits if remaining in game.  


I actually had the displeasure of brawling them about two hours ago - they've still got extra friends.

 
Regardless of what we say, Aeria will handle the repercussions.  


Nothing wrong with a mob carrying pitchforks and torches to inspire the authorities to pronounce a more severe sentence. Wink

*rabble* *rabble* *rabble*

dlmeadows2010

Rank 0
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Posts
82
Location
United States
PostedApr 02, 2013 11:01 pm
demona01 wrote:
GearsOfFate wrote:
Actually, it was an exploitation of a bug in-game, they don't have the power to give themselves gold or shop items via this.  


Ah, figured that they "jailbroke" their phones to achieve the affect.

 
While I don't disagree with the punishment, the last paragraph isn't quite correct. The bug has been fixed so they can no longer exploit it. They may however continue to search for exploits if remaining in game.  


I actually had the displeasure of brawling them about two hours ago - they've still got extra friends.

 
Regardless of what we say, Aeria will handle the repercussions.  


Nothing wrong with a mob carrying pitchforks and torches to inspire the authorities to pronounce a more severe sentence. Wink

*rabble* *rabble* *rabble*  


If the device is jailbroken they probably can't be banned. I was an in game moderator for some Tap4Fun Games and banning people didn't work if they were jailbroken they could just change their ID and create a new account. It's quite annoying to deal with especially with spammers in chat rooms.Though their current accounts can be banned you can't keep them from playing. Though we also ran into one hacker who was able to Ban Moderators and GMs from the game. That kinda sucked.

GearsOfFate

Rank 0
GearsOfFate
Joined
25 Jan 2013
Posts
106
Location
Victoria Canada
PostedApr 02, 2013 11:10 pm
demona01 wrote:
GearsOfFate wrote:
[...]  


I actually had the displeasure of brawling them about two hours ago - they've still got extra friends.  


The bug is fixed, but Aeria said they are still the the process of removing the stats.

dlmeadows2010 wrote:
If the device is jailbroken they probably can't be banned. I was an in game moderator for some Tap4Fun Games and banning people didn't work if they were jailbroken they could just change their ID and create a new account. It's quite annoying to deal with especially with spammers in chat rooms.Though their current accounts can be banned you can't keep them from playing. Though we also ran into one hacker who was able to Ban Moderators and GMs from the game. That kinda sucked.  


Ban a GM? Now that would suck. Sad
Display posts from previous:   Sort by: