itsjoyjason

Rank 0
PostedMar 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Two questions regarding Defense and SKILL activations

I'm hoping some of the more experienced players can answer these two questions for me.
Thanks in advance!

1) Regarding Defense, what are the penalties as your DEF stat gets lowered from being attacked? My paradigm was that if your DEF stat is slightly lower than your DEF Crew cost, you would get a minor cut in your DEF Crew's Defense.

Let's say I have 5-Gold Mermaid Kienna Crew. Each Kienna costs 16, and give 6987 DEF, so that's 34935 total DEF with 80 cost.

I understand that in this situation, if my current defense was below 16, all my Kiennas would become ineffective with 0 Defense, but I also know that if it's between 16 and some magic number, X, they would experience a minor cut in their Defense.

What is that magic number? I heard from Gears that it's 30, but I feel as if this is really low... the "OMG ZERG RUSH" tactic doesn't work >.>;

2) A player told me that SKILL activation is random, and NOT DEPENDENT on COMBO Level.
While this may seem quite obvious, there's a distinct activation between my Nettle's Barkadeer activation rate (Lv 45, Combo Lv 19) and my friend's Gold Nettle the Golden (LOL) (Combo Lv 100+) Skill activation rate.

If it's not the combo level, would it be the card's level? Or am I just plain unlucky?
Advertisement

GearsOfFate

Rank 0
GearsOfFate
PostedMar 30, 2013 2:20 pm
i was mistaken. i thought below 30 you decreased def by 10%, but after reading the in-game help file again, it's -30% def when below 10 def. otherwise you def won't be affected.

As for your example, your mermaids will always be effective UNLESS you restat and take away from your max def, then they will start to have stats of zero. if you always have the max def of 80, they will always work, just getting weaker as described above.

As for the skill activation rate, it doesn't seem controlled by combo levels, however i do notice that on higher combo cards they do seem to activate more. We're still speculating about this on the wiki.

It however does not activate due to level. I got my onida up to gold with only a combo level of 11 at first, and it plain sucked on defense. now that I've raised its combo level greatly it does far better.

itsjoyjason

Rank 0
PostedMar 31, 2013 9:45 am
Thanks for your input, Gears!

That cleared up many things for me, and now I'm even more determined to create a better defense crew!

For the reference of other players who pay attention to forums, let me simplify it for you. If you have a defense crew, with all pirates having 10 or more cost, you don't have to worry about your base defense until it gets to the same cost as your "highest cost" pirate.

So if I had a crew with costs 15, 25, 41, 22, and 16, and a max DEF stat of 200, I won't have to worry about my defense weakening until 41 DEF.

And gears, I don't know anyone outside of Angelwings that would readily attack your 50k defense crew, haha

GearsOfFate

Rank 0
GearsOfFate
PostedApr 01, 2013 4:39 pm
oh, i get beat now and again haha.

although it looks like you misinterpreted my info.

For the reference of other players who pay attention to forums, let me simplify it for you. If you have a defense crew, with all pirates having 10 or more cost, you don't have to worry about your base defense until it gets to the same cost as your "highest cost" pirate.

So if I had a crew with costs 15, 25, 41, 22, and 16, and a max DEF stat of 200, I won't have to worry about my defense weakening until 41 DEF.  

your def will never weaken until it is below 10 def.

The only time it will weaken before 10 def is if the max def required for your team is less than your current max def.

For example, if you have max 200 def, and run a team that costs 150 def, that team won't weaken until you hit 9/200 or lower.

But, if you have a max def of 100, and run a team that costs 150 def, that team will be weak as only 100 def worth of pirates on that team will actually defend, and the other pirate's stats will be 0.

vitamea73

Rank 0
PostedApr 01, 2013 9:26 pm
Is it? I might be wrong but I remember testing this and with 50 def out of 118, my pirates were losing to all lv 1 pixies so I thought def was total zero if over cost deck was used.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

GearsOfFate

Rank 0
GearsOfFate
PostedApr 01, 2013 9:37 pm
pixies can get up to 1900 attack with enough coverfire and combos.

but yeah, def for your def cards are zero if your max def stat isn't high enough to field that team.

Rosstein

Rank 0
Rosstein
PostedApr 02, 2013 10:55 am
Even though the Help Section claims your Pirates become 30% weaker when your DEF is 10 or lower, personal experience has told me this is not true.

Even when my DEF is weakened due to continuous attacks in a GvG, I am still able to repel opponents. When running the numbers on those wins, I could not have won if my Pirates were 30% weakened.

However, as Gears of Fate already mentioned, DEF mechanics are still heavily discussed as noone is certain on how they work exactly. Heck, even the Help Section appears to be wrong lol.