terrie_herm

Rank 1
terrie_herm
PostedMar 28, 2013 7:46 am

Pre-fanfic Personal Worldbuilding (Terrie_herm)

Because I gotta spin up a good yarn before weaving

Welcome to my worldbuilding thread. By world building, I mean "Currently Theorizing What The Commercial Release Scarlet Blade's World Map Will Be".

Right now in Open Beta, you can STILL see that the devs haven't bothered making the Free Knights characters, dialogue, maps and events different from RG, while RG holds the most appropriateness among the two campaigns, right down to nation placement.

So above, you have my personally cropped map of Chromia. My story, while still in incubation phases, has already been fleshed out around 60%, and about another 60% of which is based on Royal Guard, due to how often I played it and how appropriate it fits a Royal Guard Arkana's POV.

The cropping is also for another reason: so that you have a great understanding on how the RG borders work, and leave Free Knights territory names up to totally vague imaginations, since they have GOT to be named differently in order for the setting to work as a whole. NO THANKS TO YOU, DEV TEAM.

This being my first post, I will tell you that I have two ongoing stories as of yet, and my writing for Scarlet Blade won't begin for a while. One is about Nanoha and another is about Touhou. However, unlike the two, this one is a retelling and character-insert fic, and that involves playing around the plot available in the CURRENT BUILD of the game , while adding characters and events that flesh each other out.

Instead of West Chromia, I plan to have the Free Knights capital nation named "Arktana", being how freedom-emphasized Free Knights likes it. Next to Arktana are heavily industrialized and polluted lands called Zoreghun (to its northeast) and Etoillia (to its southeast). Tying in to the Enocia plot, Zoreghun is responsible for manufacturing CX-1 Destroyer while Etoillia is responsible for Stardust processing and Blitz distribution. In-game characters of mention like Cherry and Pavanne will also receive more personality and depth to them.

Hope you'll give your precious feedbacks here! ^_^
Advertisement

ckdragonck

Rank 0
ckdragonck
PostedMar 28, 2013 5:53 pm
Interesting... I wonder how this will go.

secusanajuven

Rank 0
PostedMar 29, 2013 6:38 am
nice, i hope you can do justice to the Free Knight plot. it sucks how the whole Sb story is not as it should be.

terrie_herm

Rank 1
terrie_herm
PostedMar 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Technological items

Thank you for your piqued interests.

Now that I have a bit of timey time, I'm going to toss out the technology that happens in the world.

Warp Technology: The warp technology in this game is just like your bog standard Point A to Point B portal-to-portal transportation, only it's advanced enough to do two things: (A) able to transfer both organic and non-organic matter as they are and (B) conduct a one-way-one-time warp using portable devices like a warp responder.

The term in the game 'transmitter' is highly inappropriate, considering that the item cannot help in radio communication and does not track back any warp portals. In my fic, such items will be called Warp Responders. For example, Enocia Warp Responder. What it does is just like in the game, sending the carrier Arkana to Enocia Glen by synchronizing with the Long and Short Range Warp Portals in order to 'holler' the carrier back.

Underground Structures: Getting topside are things both RG and Free Knights need to do on a regular basis, and there's more than a single Ark ever since The Schism. What I can gather from the lore however, is that Free Knights are more underground than East Chromia's Ark. Designing any architecture for underground is no joke, and some tropes certainly can't be used. And sadly, that is where the Arkana Base at the very start of the game, fails.

If you know a site called TV Tropes, then you can search for something called Absurdly Spacious Sewers. The Arkana Base is coming close despite not being a sewer. If you had paid any attention before going to Enocia jungles, there's practically no pillars to support what appears to be a mere concrete covering of a dome-shaped cavity. Cavity that looks readily able to cave in. I think such an architecture isn't worthy of John Maynard's claim that it can survive anything short of a viral pandemic.

Should the underground be made a template for story events, I am going to do it like the game doesn't.

Flying Transportation: Because why not. Before the Ark was completed, surely good old John Maynard couldn't possibly have neglected to put in every technological blueprint and calculus available, could he? We have futuristic mono-wheel bikes, mechs that form out of subdermal storage, but can't have flying vehicles? That's just bull y'all. One thing that can't be possible in the story, I can give ya.

The answer is space shuttles. If Narak were efficient killers, then they were also able to kill space station crews by destroying the space station project that's happening in present day real life. Aeronautical facilities like NASA for example, would be where the experts had kept their data and schematics. Passenger planes aren't secrets in real life anymore. The manufacturing process is complex, but there are TV Programs that show case the summarized version of how to build chassis and jet engines. Shuttles are different: they represent the pinnacle of space tech and rocket tech, both of which have military connotations. So, the Ark Project couldn't have stashed the little something extra called Shuttle Schematics.

Besides, with Narak babies crawling around on the world, there's no rush in going outer space. This story can afford to have transport planes and Arkana-specific flying units however.

Powered Armor: Sentries! How similar they appear to Marines from Starcraft! Given how Koreans loved Starcraft and it was Koreans who made Queens Blade, the copynameright infringing version of this game, it should come as a non-coincidental connection. Anyway, the idea of Sentries in this story cannot be possible without one thing: cybernetics. Or cyborg technology, to be precise.

Arkana are cyborgs born out of cloning, keep in mind. Hypovials are used on holes that exist on their skin which are usually kept hidden, and those holes are used to power up Mechs. Similarly, humans with cybernetic surgery just plant themselves in bulky metal suits like in the game. I suspect that just like Arkana's Core Power, Neo Humans who use Powered Armor run on a similar principle.

Deployment Kits: Smart phones in our recent days prove one thing: if you're not afraid of constant exposure to electroradiation, then you have things that can store and display hefty sizes of data, that fits on the palms of your hands. With miniaturization, comes complexity. There's still the conservation of size and physics of course, but nothing too major. I imagine that Deployment Kits are military versions of iPads, plus coming with basic tools and can be kept in a relatively portable fashion.

That's all for now. I will add more if I have the time

Ishmon

Rank 0
Ishmon
PostedMar 29, 2013 4:33 pm
You sir have my salutations

ckdragonck

Rank 0
ckdragonck
PostedMar 29, 2013 6:26 pm
Honestly, this is a future where literally EVERYTHING has mutated - plants, animals, metals, crystals, even the alien Narak.

Zeppelins are cool and all, but there should be alteast one fire-breathing mithril-winged kraphon (kraken/gryphon hybrid) that can fly at Mach 3. And it's a living, natural-born creature. We should get to ride that thing.

Either that, or a Boeing X-51.

terrie_herm

Rank 1
terrie_herm
PostedMar 29, 2013 11:45 pm
Stygians are close to what you described, but whether they can fly or not remains further confirmation. Also, with this game -still- being in Beta phase, I'll wait until flying enemies / transportations are introduced in-game before I put in the niceties.

I'm no enemy of the science fantasy idea (sci-fi + fantasy) but I wouldn't wanna pull that stunt on this setting just -yet-

ckdragonck

Rank 0
ckdragonck
PostedMar 30, 2013 1:33 am
Well technically, this IS science fantasy. It's a Future-based fantasy game, not SciFi, in the first place.

terrie_herm

Rank 1
terrie_herm
PostedMar 30, 2013 2:14 am
What I'm saying is, it takes a fitting addition to make sense. Riding a dragon might not be a good idea since survival of the fittest is at the fullest effect in this story, and we don't know if the aliens ARE Narak, or there are smaller Narak than the one in Mereholt.

Now, on to more technological inconsistencies or curiosities!

There can only be one Mother. So who is Sati?: There is only one Mother as everyone came from one Ark that cloned everyone. If I'm being incorrect here, tell me along with presenting a proof in the game that says otherwise. Lota is known as Mother's AI, which automatically makes her an android rather than an Arkana. Which makes sense, given that AI can be reasonably placed within a vessel, an android is devoid of life cycles and lifesigns (therefore not requiring Stardust and food) , and relatively more 'serviceable'.

So what the heck IS Sati? There are two possibilities. She's either an anti-Ark AI meant to be transported to the Ark or Royal Guards HQ to invalidate Lota's existence, or the AI vessel of Free Knight's very own cloning centre. Either way, this is a possibility worth treading, as it'll create worthy suspense.

Hypovial and nanotechnology: The first one is pronounced 'high-po-vai-el' quickly. That said, injection based stimulants are nothing new, but in our current day and age, such stimulants are available from cartels, aka drugs. Arkanas were cloned and created cybernetically. Since conception, they have holes hidden in their skins which only come out when hypovial injection and mech usage are priorities. The idea behind hypovials is that the liquid within the vials are pumped through a hole and spread into the body ASAP. Assuming that the holes are linked to blood vessel movements, then the idea is sound for Arkana to use them beneficially.

Nanotechnology is something like a very vague reality at play. Any of you who've heard of Metal Gear Solid will probably chalk it up as 'high quantities of nanoscopic metal that move around in a controlled manner and grant certain properties'. On that front, I can understand, but in truth nanomachines are a technical nigh impossibility when shrink rays haven't been invented yet. Even if machines can be produced at nanoscopic scales, there's no way they can 'hive' around like bees and move around your body in a selected manner.

Assuming the above, Nanoskin in this game would have to work like nanomaterialogy, as in high quantities of seperate but identical materials in very small sizes, like rice, react in a certain manner to take shape or have certain effects when catalyst enters the factor. I personally prefer to assume that a controlling catalyst is responsible for guiding the nanomaterial to 'behave'. In Nanoskin's case, the material becomes adhesive to the skin and body like how sand is mixed with water and slapped on your skin. The protection this catalyzed nanoscopic material offers will DEFINITELY DIFFER between Free Knights and Royal Guards, since the former had this tech relatively earlier than the latter.

Both hypovial tech and nano tech are closely related in principle though: contents of vials are just merely contents. Even though the holes connected to the blood streams can take the liquids, without a certain catalysm, the liquid won't be carried throughout the body's appropriate areas and yield instantaneous effects. And assuming that Nanoskin can be powered up and turned off at will, they have to be stored in the Arkana's body, possibly close to the Core Module.

Chakra ain't technology: Different cultures have their take on life force. In a more concise manner in Chinese fashion, Chakra can be known as Qi, from Qi Gong. In this game's lore, it was stated that through the Arkana's creation, humanity first discovered the close-hand experience of weaponizing Qi. I'll have to assume that Arkana have more than 100 times the Qi output than normal humans and they're able to manifest as heat, gravitation, shock, ailment and outright physical impact. As all living beings have their own Chakra and Qi, what made Arkana possible to weaponize Qi could very well be through sheer technological power.

However, one thing is for certain: as this game is under Fantasy category, and being a science fantasy genre, Arkana's use of Chakra / Qi must not be confused as some sort of technological fluff this game made up. Only living beings can harness Qi, so there's no way a machine can generate it all on its own. It is possible however that Arkana may have something inside their bodies that (however unintended) enable them to twist Qi into Chakra power.

terrie_herm

Rank 1
terrie_herm
PostedMar 31, 2013 2:47 am

Radiation

And now my personal worldbuilding touches upon two stuffs that are just crucial to the survival of the story itself.

The reason why nukes are feared is not only for their destructive power. If it's just destruction, then the world would be full of holes by now. Nukes leave behind 3 different kinds of radiations: ionizing radiation, beta radiation and gamma radiation. Now, if this isn't true, feel free to correct me. Just these three alone will leave centuries of mess to clean up, making the Ark's time-delayed cloning begin at 100 years later after the world's nuclear cleansing a really BAD idea.

In order to survive against such radiations, Neo Humans and Arkana only need one thing: Stardust. Assuming that's the case as the story requires it, the Stardust must fulfill 2 requirements:

1) Stardust must be able to counter irradiate the same way, or even go Planck scale and cancel out the nuke radiation.

2) Stardust must not pose side effects that threaten the DNA and genome of humans and ALL LIVING BEINGS, which nukes already did which cause the birth of ugly mofos like Batrachians and Amphibyons

Now, the game hasn't made clear -how- Stardust pulled that off, but it IS clear that Stardust is rare. I can think of one reason

Stardusts come from Narak after dying from the nuclear cleansing and decompose into soil. Yet from the looks of a Stardust Rig in northern Enocia, it is implied that Stardust is a nickname of a substance that exists in the pre-Narak Invasion era, and have another but true name. Plus the fact that -Dark- Stardusts exist serves to add more mystery into the story as whole. I can tell you I'm not gonna rashly tackle the Dark counterpart soon until Open Beta is over.