terminotor23

Rank 2
terminotor23
PostedMar 25, 2013 5:26 pm

just wondering about peoples view on this

please read e.e
OK so today GSAlice is saying quoting the bibles ok cause its a book... well we all know religious topics are taboo... so i've tried to debate this but no didn't work... alright here's the thing i got told off by GM's once for Quoting the bible but GSAlice says its ok... now im being pestered about it..

so whos right here? is quoting the bible not allowed cause its religious .. pure religious.. or is GSAlice right and are we allowed to quote the bible aka religion?

i would like your opinions on this and a good answer cause im now really confused.. kthnks.

Advertisement

AKFrost

Rank 5
AKFrost
PostedMar 25, 2013 5:35 pm
there will be no "discussion" of a religious nature on the forums. Quoting the bible alone is not "discussion".

There's no rule that I know of against religious discussion in the game.

However, do keep in mind that you may be offending other people's religion if you do so.

terminotor23

Rank 2
terminotor23
PostedMar 25, 2013 5:38 pm
AKFrost wrote:
there will be no "discussion" of a religious nature on the forums. Quoting the bible alone is not "discussion".

However, do keep in mind that you may be offending other people's religion if you do so.  

ive been told discussion of religion ingame is prohibited to and there used to be a guy ages ago who quoted the bible alot.. he just vanished suddenly and never came back ._. and i have been told off for quoting once so.. yea its confusing e.e

fuzz197

GameSage: Grand Fantasia
fuzz197
PostedMar 25, 2013 5:41 pm
terminotor23 wrote:
AKFrost wrote:

ive been told discussion of religion ingame is prohibited to and there used to be a guy ages ago who quoted the bible alot.. he just vanished suddenly and never came back ._. and i have been told off for quoting once so.. yea its confusing e.e  

I believe the main thing about religion in public chats is that it turns into a flaming fest if done wrong. Or rather, if you use it to put down a specific group, sect, ethnic, cuture, etc. I think it may be case-by-case, for the simple reason that there is a difference in saying "The bible tells me that xyz is wrong, so I will quote this specific section to put them down" than (again making up stuff) "I believe in fair treatment because the bible says God love's everyone equally (proceeds to quote)".
It comes back to the situation in my opinion, and if it explodes into drama, if nothing happens and no ones offended then its not that big of a deal, but its its defamatory or turns into a dramatic religion bashing than yeah, its not okay.
I do agree with Frost though. Quoting isnt really discussing, it'd be different if it was a discussion around the quote or something, or a discussion about the bible in general maybe, but simply quoting it isn't wrong, unless its abusive or used in a defamatory method.

terminotor23

Rank 2
terminotor23
PostedMar 25, 2013 5:45 pm
fuzz197 wrote:
terminotor23 wrote:
AKFrost wrote:

I believe the main thing about religion in public chats is that it turns into a flaming fest if done wrong. Or rather, if you use it to put down a specific group, sect, ethnic, cuture, etc. I think it may be case-by-case, for the simple reason that there is a difference in saying "The bible tells me that xyz is wrong, so I will quote this specific section to put them down" than (again making up stuff) "I believe in fair treatment because the bible says God love's everyone equally (proceeds to quote)".
It comes back to the situation in my opinion, and if it explodes into drama, if nothing happens and no ones offended then its not that big of a deal, but its its defamatory or turns into a dramatic religion bashing than yeah, its not okay.
I do agree with Frost though. Quoting isnt really discussing, it'd be different if it was a discussion around the quote or something, or a discussion about the bible in general maybe, but simply quoting it isn't wrong, unless its abusive or used in a defamatory method.  

i see what your saying.. just confusing for me cause i quoted something not even bad and well yea i got into trouble.. eh i guess you guys are right unless a GM says its not.. :/

JornAnderson

Rank 1
JornAnderson
PostedMar 25, 2013 5:53 pm
Are you using the word god or just quotes that provide knowledge?

terminotor23

Rank 2
terminotor23
PostedMar 25, 2013 5:55 pm
JornAnderson wrote:
Are you using the word god or just quotes that provide knowledge?  

was using both why?

GMTenRing

GameMaster: USA
GMTenRing
PostedMar 25, 2013 6:15 pm
People may be very opinionated about these subjects. In order to prevent offending anyone I'd appreciate it if we stayed away from these topics in a public setting. I appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

cmartly48

Rank 0
cmartly48
PostedMar 25, 2013 6:21 pm
I just want to bring up a few things.

Our Terms of Service states that:
ToS wrote:

(l) Impede the flow of chat in game, in forums, or in chat rooms with vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or AGE employees;

This can be loosely defined as any topic that could cause such "detrimental methods to disturb other users". It's just best to stay away from taboo topics in my opinion, as anybody can easily get offended. It's been discussed multiple times in the past to just avoid topics including religion, politics, 18+ topics, etc. etc. in an attempt to prevent disruption of gamer's enjoyment. I don't really think people would like to log into a game to see any sort of debate going on.

On a side note: A GS should be completely unbiased, and that's really to everything. For a GS to make such a stance can actually backfire due to a religious choice. Unfortunately that's how people are, and people can make anybody's time difficult by making such firm stances on choices of said taboo topics.

This is just my opinion however.

JornAnderson

Rank 1
JornAnderson
PostedMar 25, 2013 6:25 pm
GMTenRing wrote:
In order to prevent offending anyone  

Offending wimps is fun though, you gotta admit it Very Happy