xxxmurielxxx

Rank 0
PostedMar 27, 2013 7:31 am
Would be cool if the new area doesn't automaticly toggle pvp, but when you do toggle you can attack anybody. Ofcourse that would mean everybody can attack you then. That way you can still grind in peace but you have to watch your back if someone shows up that doesn't like you.
Advertisement

Bryan.Fury

Rank 3
Bryan.Fury
PostedMar 27, 2013 7:41 am
Rekikyo wrote:
Bryan.Fury wrote:
DAOC and L2 are two successifull games that did lead the mmorpg for a lot of times about the great PvP mechanics made, and still does..  

From what I see, DAOC is not a PK game. It's basically what alot of players are suggesting for DKO: a three Realm game. PVP is based on Realms, and exists in specific "frontiers" that are Pvp enabled. The PVE areas are not. At least from the 20 some odd websites and videos I watched. Also, supposedly content killed it.

Lineage you have a point. However, Lineage had major drawbacks to PK, namely loss of stats, and an increased odd of losing valuable items. This was probably what DKO's original PK system was based upon, as we used to lose serious stats when we PK'd. But, now we don't. So unless you are suggesting DKO brings back the PK Penalty of losing stats, the two games do not have a parallel.

(It's also important to note: something serious happened in L2's PK development that made them change it. Players first complained heavily about PK, and then got the Karma system implemented. And then Players complained and got it reverted. Aparrently it created more trouble than it was worth. Most of its players are also Asian.)  
You don't lose stats from doing PvP in L2. And DAOC is an open world PvP based on realm wars but is still PvP.

You call PK, but you all forget that PK is not PvP and PvP is not PK. PK is part of PvP and it happen when you use to be BAD and get RED name. PK is whenever you attack someone at will without him being able to reply to your attacks. PvP is when you attack someone and this someone does reply to your attacks. All this happen NOT on purpose, but because the "target" is able to reply. And i'm NOT speaking about arena war or battleground, that are mainly NOT "Open PvP" but "Organized-Duels" category of PvP. Open PvP have a "PvP Status" that happen whenever X ammount of targets does start to fight eachother. Like happen with clans or even alliances, like was happening to L2 or even DAOC but based with realms. A member of an alliance in L2 get attacked, the ally come to assist him, the enemy ally comes too, an ally war into open PvP will start from nothing so easy.. and was great. Same thing with DAOC. Someone from your realm, A, get attacked and killed on the open PvP area by members from the realm B and C. The realm A, yours, get to the area to kill the enemy realms because they know there are enemyes there. And a new war start.

Back on L2, if you was attacking someone your name was turning PURPLE. Also the defender will get purple. Who die, give in a PvP point to the winner. No death drop. No penality (except the EXP but exp mean nothing, if you have a good clan behind).

And i have already suggested the right way to do PvP.. everyone know here that it's the better system.

razzzeh

Rank 0
PostedMar 27, 2013 12:50 pm
Rekikyo wrote:
razzzeh wrote:

kalonline and PW. The latter had much better open world pk system. Both had great GvG systems (or alliance vs alliance)  

I don't know kalonline, but I know 100% PW has channels. I played that in 2008 and it had channels even then. So does FW.

The reason I bring up channels, is because PK tends to get out of control. What players do to get away from the PK is the leave Channel 1 (the default one). If they don't they can't ever even grind, because every 2 minutes they are dead, killed by someone 4 times their level.

P.S.: I've been researching Kal Online, and it appears to be a game more like Shaiya: Open pvp. That is different than PK. Also, it appears there are maps where pvp is not enabled. That is why it doesn't have channels.

And from what I remember of PW, it's not PK enabled either. Pvp is requested.  

FW has channels. PW has servers (a couple for PvP and few more for PvE). 2 completely different things. Both games I mentioned have open pvp, open pk or w/e you call it, with some areas (instances and beginner <lvl 30 areas) where pvp is not allowed, and it makes sense. You wouldn't want to kill your party members in an instance or not allow low lvls to develop and understand the game.

I don't rly understand what you mean by pvp requested or pk or open pvp. I think you mean open pvp is open for all without having to do anything and pk you have to press a button to open it. In both those games you had to do smth to open the pvp, in kal you had to put on an assassin mask and in pw i think you had to make a click, but once that was done, you could attack anyone, not only those who had pk on. And yes there were penalties in both games, but it was fun. Here I barely see anyone with open pk because there's no gain. I bet if you got bp from killing others more will have pk on.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that there are games with open world pvp/pk which have had success. I didn't want to start a whole discussion abt it Smile and I mentioned those two because they have very good GvG and alliance war systems.

You are right, channels would work, but I doubt this game allows it. Instead the pk system is designed here so you can't attack ppl more than 5 levels above or below you, which is a very good thing as you can't be attacked by someone 4 times your lvl Smile

razzzeh

Rank 0
PostedMar 27, 2013 12:55 pm
oh and I really like the new area, the map, the design and the new mobs. Depending on how the pk system will work there (best would be faction vs faction), I think it will be fun to grind, having to always look around for potential threats and fighting for grind spots.
FFA would fail as you wont even be able to aoe in a party without hitting others...

Insequor

Rank 0
Insequor
PostedMar 27, 2013 7:42 pm
leebrave2 wrote:
Insequor wrote:
filipvarga wrote:
The Developer is aware of current issues and concerns, but fixes cannot be made over night. It requires some time.  

Absolutely right. The complaints are a dime a dozen but I don't think these kids understand the immense amount of coding behind MMORPGS. Nor the duties of game developers. At least they're aware of the situations players bring into the limelight. Patience is a virtue.

This update looks exiting as well. Smile  

They dont have that much to do, cheap developers results in slow fix times

The games not new 2009 released in Japan if im not mistaken (not under this name), Which explains the lack in things we should see nowadays for generic MMORPG style games.

The translation etc has just been poorly done due to using cheap developers etc sadly Aeria seems to have become very bad in the past few years when it comes to new games and customer happiness - Greed for money seems to be the main thing now instead of retaining repeat customers  

So you're implying that AG developers work less because they get paid less.
That's pretty ignorant logic there, you're playing a free mmorpg and complaining about the developers being slow?... Like I stated in my first post, you folks are unaware of the tasks game developers take on and the immense amount of coding that goes on behind these games... Changes aren't made overnight.

filipvarga

GameSage: DK Online
filipvarga
PostedMar 28, 2013 5:10 am
I love the part in which people apparently know what Developers are doing in their Office.

Writing code requires a lot of time. Finding a wrong code and fix it does require even more time, so be patient and wait for bug fixes.
Developers are normal employees as, for example, Bakers or Truck Drivers. They have working hours, and after those are over, they leave the office and continue tommorow.
Due to the fact they are Asian (no racism intended, this is an international joke), they might be working a lot harder and longer than any American or European could imagine, as Asians "live for their jobs" as people say Wink

Rekikyo

Rank 5.1
Rekikyo
PostedMar 28, 2013 5:25 am
razzzeh wrote:

FW has channels. PW has servers (a couple for PvP and few more for PvE). 2 completely different things. Both games I mentioned have open pvp, open pk or w/e you call it, with some areas (instances and beginner <lvl 30 areas) where pvp is not allowed, and it makes sense. You wouldn't want to kill your party members in an instance or not allow low lvls to develop and understand the game.

I don't rly understand what you mean by pvp requested or pk or open pvp. I think you mean open pvp is open for all without having to do anything and pk you have to press a button to open it. In both those games you had to do smth to open the pvp, in kal you had to put on an assassin mask and in pw i think you had to make a click, but once that was done, you could attack anyone, not only those who had pk on. And yes there were penalties in both games, but it was fun. Here I barely see anyone with open pk because there's no gain. I bet if you got bp from killing others more will have pk on.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that there are games with open world pvp/pk which have had success. I didn't want to start a whole discussion abt it Smile and I mentioned those two because they have very good GvG and alliance war systems.

You are right, channels would work, but I doubt this game allows it. Instead the pk system is designed here so you can't attack ppl more than 5 levels above or below you, which is a very good thing as you can't be attacked by someone 4 times your lvl Smile  

The beginner area in PW may have been up to 30 free, but If I remember it had mobs up to 42, and pvp tended not to occur there. I didn't play PW long, because I felt its lack of parties, and shared drops, and heavily gimped exp when someone tried to KS you, was not attractive. So probably the only pvp I saw, was when uber 60's were requesting battles with other players.

But keep in mind, you just said the key words, "beginner area." And there was also a problem with servers only. When you start on a PVE server, you can't transfer to a PVP server later. Generally speaking, players don't like getting PK'd while questing or grinding. That is why they choose a PVE server. That doesn't mean they don't want later on pvp.

As far as Kal Online goes, I know about the mask, but didn't know that other players could not pvp. From the videos I watched it was pretty much a giant pvp brawl.

I would note though, that Kal online only had one non Korean server, between all other regions of the world. That raises the question of whether or not it was a successful game (it may have been successful to you, but in general, what it successful in gaining a long lasting player base that promoted growth - I doubt it did, because the third Korean server was closed, and the first two shrunk, probably indicating the International server also suffered).

PVP is when both parties play with the objective to fight. PK is when only one party has the objective to kill the other, leading to a contradiction of intents. PK is usually high levels killing grinders, whereas PvP is usually big battles (sometimes it can be party vs party).

leebrave2

Rank 0
PostedMar 28, 2013 7:50 am
The best system you'll ever find is in a game called AIKA

7 factions each with basically their own server - They then have to meet in a single map to port to other factions worlds and gather up to take their relics

The great thing about this is it involves every person in each faction not just the strong ones

It's the only PVP system i've seen that works so well no one ever complains and everyone enjoys it

filipvarga

GameSage: DK Online
filipvarga
PostedMar 28, 2013 8:05 am
How about we get back on Topic instead of discussing PvP systems of non-AGE games?

mykolag

Rank 1
mykolag
PostedApr 02, 2013 5:54 am