serasocial

Rank 0
serasocial
PostedMar 23, 2013 1:36 pm

what is the true nature of a gs

to my understanding it is the purpose of a gs to educate the players of game play and educate them if something are doing is wrong by first warning and then reporting to a gm if person doesn't stop. Would I be wrong in assuming this. I would prefer a gm/pm to answer this given that it seems that a gs version is how they interpret the rules. I also would like to know if lurking and letting other player helping newer players and just reporting with out warning is an abuse of gs power. I also want to noted most gms if in world chat warn if someone is doing wrong.
Advertisement

serasocial

Rank 0
serasocial
PostedMar 23, 2013 2:22 pm
another question why is it ban able to use the word bann talk about a previous bann being banned or warning someone they might get banned?

skull12580

Rank 5.1
skull12580
On the planet consumed by greed. United States
PostedMar 23, 2013 2:42 pm
While warnings are nice, reports can be made with or without warning from any player. This is applicable to a GS, as well.
To your next question, letting others help is still a fine way to do things. From my experience GMs do this more often than most, actually. As long as the question is answered correctly, there is no reason to restate the answer, no?

Once again, warnings are nice, and sometimes applied, but it varies case to case. Some cases are obviously breaking the rules and will be subjected to action past a warning (such as muting a player's chat, for example) by a GM.

As for your other post, bans are not to be discussed on the forums. The reason for this is most of them are private and to protect all parties, they will remain private through the ticket system. It also does a good job of keeping "Why was I banned?" from appearing everywhere and causing problems. To keep confidentiality of the banned, there are consequences to posting about a ban on the forum.

I know I'm not exactly the answerer you were looking for, but I hope that helps.

serasocial

Rank 0
serasocial
PostedMar 24, 2013 3:18 am
ok yes i still like a gm to answer and i was speaking in chat about banns and involved using the word bann, as a non mentionable bannable offense in general, warning people hey don' t do that you might get reported and bann as illegal offense or someone saying hey dude i got banned for that. Is it illegal to do these things and posibly be reported and banned. that doesn't seem right. it also seems to me the best policy for customer service would be encourage gses to be helpful and less police because even in the gs recruitment post as a requirement the gs must be willing to help and educate other players. just reporting them without warning seems a defeatist action. neither does it seem to be doing your job requirement if you sit back and just report people and let others do your job for you.

GMtk421

GameMaster: USA
GMtk421
PostedMar 24, 2013 12:50 pm
serasocial wrote:
ok yes i still like a gm to answer  

GM here!

serasocial wrote:
i was speaking in chat about banns and involved using the word bann, as a non mentionable bannable offense in general, warning people hey don' t do that you might get reported and bann as illegal offense or someone saying hey dude i got banned for that. Is it illegal to do these things and posibly be reported and banned.  

Im not 100% clear as to what you're asking. But we ask that you don't discuss bans outside of a ticket

serasocial wrote:
it also seems to me the best policy for customer service would be encourage gses to be helpful and less police  

While a GS may report without a warning it is the GM team that institutes the punishment that can range from nothing (if it really isn't an offence), a mute, or a permanent ban.

Additionally our GSs, which are community volunteers and not employees, do plenty of things to assist players and improve gameplay experience. This ranges from helping players with game questions to running events (that they do because they enjoy the game and hanging out with players Smile)

If you want a GM to more clearly specify what got you banned I suggest you submit a ticket or respond to a submitted one

And yes the TOS is the first warning you ever get: http://www.aeriagames.com/policy/terms
Bans usually fall into one of these categories
Section 7: User Conduct

(l) Impede the flow of chat in game, in forums, or in chat rooms with vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or AGE employees;
(m) Engage in, encourage, or promote any illegal activity, or any activity that violates the Terms of Service, the Rules of Conduct, or the Privacy Policy; and/or
(n) Take any action that may prohibit other users from enjoying the services of the Website or games.
AGE may take any actions and impose any penalties we deem necessary to discourage and punish any violation of these terms or any other illegal or inappropriate conduct, all without prior notice or warning. The determination as to whether a violation has occurred and who is responsible for such act is solely within AGE's discretion, and is based on what we deem best for the community and the Website. By using the Website, you agree you will be bound by AGE's determination as to whether a violation has occurred and any penalty we choose to implement.

serasocial

Rank 0
serasocial
PostedMar 24, 2013 1:24 pm
this wasn't because of my bann this was because really there is some questions as to what a gs should and should not do and many other people have these questions. really I could careless about my bann i log in chat with friends take care of my cities and i play another game primarily given my dissatisfaction with with the many facets of the game. notice I didn't even bring up my bann. Just about speaking the word bann.

GMtk421

GMtk421
PostedMar 24, 2013 2:44 pm
Members of the GameSage team are selected from the community to act as assistants to the Game Master team.

They are not employees of Aeria Games but volunteers and direct links from the players to the GMs.

They can not ban or mute players but report issues in game for review by the GM team just as regular players can.

Members of the Game Sage team are expected to have knowledge of the game they volunteer for, knowledge of the Terms of Service of Aeria Games and a willingness to help out in the community where needed.

They are player volunteers with added responsibilities.

Neritti

Rank 2
Neritti
PostedMar 27, 2013 9:13 pm
Only ONE big problem with not discussing bans outside of a ticket. The ticket accomplishes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING other than having an automated message show up in your in box with absolutely NO human contact from it, no answers given nor ANY chance whatsoever of a ban being successfully appealed. Honestly the whole ban appeal process is a total joke and I don't even understand why it's there. All it does is insult your customers who got the ban even further and offer them no chance at all of having it lifted or even actually investigated or explained to them exactly WHAT they did to deserve it to begin with. You offer them NO chance at all to share their side of the story with a human being, just a computer generated message. Rather cold. :/

toxictrauma01

Rank 3
toxictrauma01
PostedMar 28, 2013 9:12 am   Last edited by toxictrauma01 on Mar 28, 2013 1:41 pm. Edited 3 times in total
Neritti wrote:
Only ONE big problem with not discussing bans outside of a ticket. The ticket accomplishes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING other than having an automated message show up in your in box with absolutely NO human contact from it, no answers given nor ANY chance whatsoever of a ban being successfully appealed. Honestly the whole ban appeal process is a total joke and I don't even understand why it's there. All it does is insult your customers who got the ban even further and offer them no chance at all of having it lifted or even actually investigated or explained to them exactly WHAT they did to deserve it to begin with. You offer them NO chance at all to share their side of the story with a human being, just a computer generated message. Rather cold. :/  
I would like to note, a GM answers each and every one of the Tickets, it is not a computer generated message.

GMtk421

GMtk421
PostedMar 28, 2013 11:16 am
Neritti wrote:

This is a false statement. When you submit a ban appeal a GM pulls up the account, looks into why it was banned, notifies the person appealing as to why they were banned (language, account reported compromised, spamming, etc) and what day the account will be released.

As for looking at "their side of the story" it doesn't really matter what the circumstances are for things like cussing or excessive spamming. It is against the TOS, it is NOT allowed and you will likely get a temporary ban if reported.

If you're unhappy with the response you get as to why you were banned please, by all means, respond to it asking for more information.