ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 23, 2013 1:46 am
Updated. Added section on Uninstalling Unnecessary Applications.

| [GS]Sylus - Valkyrie - Free Knights | Post your Valkyrie event ideas! |
Advertisement

NZM1

Rank 0
PostedMar 24, 2013 10:11 pm
Question, by 'overclocking' do you mean this bit ?

Adjusting Appearance Settings:
This step involves changing your account's appearance settings to increase performance for other computer processes. As it takes computer resources to provide certain appearance features such as themes and appearance animations, doing this step will remove all of your desktop's appearance settings but will dramatically open up those resources to be put into other applications.

Press the Start button.
Right-click "Computer" and select "Properties".
On the left side of the window that pops up, select "System Properties".
Make sure you're under the "Advanced" tab for the window that pops up now. Select "Settings" underneath the "Performance" section of this tab. Another window will pop up.
On this window, you have an option to "Adjust for Best Performance", "Adjust for Best Appearance", or "Let Windows Choose What is Best for my Computer". Select "Adjust for Best Performance" which will disable all appearance features for your account. Alternatively, you may individually select features you don't want in the field listing below these options. However, I recommend disabling them all for maximum performance.
Select the "Advanced" tab and under "Virtual Memory" Press "Change". A window will pop up.
On the bottom of this window it should say "Recommended" and a certain amount. Under that it will say "Currently Allocated" and a number next to that.
Select "Custom Size" and type in the initial size as your recommended amount.
On "Maximum size" type a number about 1-3 Gbs more then your recommended amount. (1 Gb = 1000 Mb)
Press "OK" then press "OK" again. Then press "OK" again.  

If so I did this, but I only added one GB(I made my maximum memory 7050MB instead of 6048 MB) is that a safe thing to do? I assume that this will help in running other things too so yeah.

Anyway this all helped speed my computer up a TON XD even if it was just for running SB better Very Happy

Lynxdragon

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
Lynxdragon
PostedMar 24, 2013 10:32 pm
NZM1 wrote:
Question, by 'overclocking' do you mean this bit ?

Adjusting Appearance Settings:
This step involves changing your account's appearance settings to increase performance for other computer processes. As it takes computer resources to provide certain appearance features such as themes and appearance animations, doing this step will remove all of your desktop's appearance settings but will dramatically open up those resources to be put into other applications.

Press the Start button.
Right-click "Computer" and select "Properties".
On the left side of the window that pops up, select "System Properties".
Make sure you're under the "Advanced" tab for the window that pops up now. Select "Settings" underneath the "Performance" section of this tab. Another window will pop up.
On this window, you have an option to "Adjust for Best Performance", "Adjust for Best Appearance", or "Let Windows Choose What is Best for my Computer". Select "Adjust for Best Performance" which will disable all appearance features for your account. Alternatively, you may individually select features you don't want in the field listing below these options. However, I recommend disabling them all for maximum performance.
Select the "Advanced" tab and under "Virtual Memory" Press "Change". A window will pop up.
On the bottom of this window it should say "Recommended" and a certain amount. Under that it will say "Currently Allocated" and a number next to that.
Select "Custom Size" and type in the initial size as your recommended amount.
On "Maximum size" type a number about 1-3 Gbs more then your recommended amount. (1 Gb = 1000 Mb)
Press "OK" then press "OK" again. Then press "OK" again.  

If so I did this, but I only added one GB(I made my maximum memory 7050MB instead of 6048 MB) is that a safe thing to do? I assume that this will help in running other things too so yeah.

Anyway this all helped speed my computer up a TON XD even if it was just for running SB better Very Happy  

Heh no that's not overclocking, that's simply modifying how much resources the system can use. If you set the maximum values, windows no longer peritonitis itself over your programs. Thus making your games and programs faster.

Also an edit for the above, when setting to 'Adjust for Maximum Performace' Remember to re-enable 'Show Thumbnails Instead Of Icons'. This will frustrate ALOT of people if this isnt left alone.

Also, 1gb = 1024mb... Need to edit that too! Might I add, Adding an oversized virtual memory for old systems CAN make them unstable. This being said for single core Pentium 4 cpu's, had allot of grief with some customers all with older single core CPU's and there virtual memory. Usually, Virtual Memory is 1.5 - 4.0 times your installed USABLE ram. Meaning my systems 5gb usable ram would mean anything between 7.5gb and 20gb virtual memory is acceptable for me. If you set outside your range, it stuffs stuff up big time. Generally, You will only ever set your virtual memory to be between 1.5 - 2.0 times your installed USABLE ram.

Also note, if you have a IDE hard drive adding more virtual memory WILL SLOW DOWN your system becuase it uses your physical hard drive as ram. This ultimately effects your loading screen times hugely. If you are getting this issue after increasing your virtual memory, set it back to the recommended value.

This is my tech spiel over.

Edit: Wait, no its not...

Also if you have multiple hard drives like me. Put your virtual memory(paging file) on a hard drive thats not used offen. Example;

Drive (C): Windows & Programs
Drive (E): Storeage, Music and Movies
Drive (F): Backup Drive

Drive F is your least used drive, so this drive is where you should put your paging file(virtual memory). Simply because this drive is idle constantly, so using it as your VM storeage will mean less useage on your C and E drives, meaning they have more bandwidth to run windows, programs, games, movies and music. Meaning faster load times.

NZM1

Rank 0
PostedMar 24, 2013 11:03 pm
lol okay Smile
I seem to remember seeing overclocking being something about adjusting some physical thing on the computer? ._. if so, that stuff is out of my league and I would really rather not mess with the mechanical bits anyway! lol

I have a 5 GB external hard drive that just has a backup of my OS/C drive on it for system restore purposes. Would adding the virtual memory drive file to that be a good idea?

also how do I change where the paging file is? XD

larry1619

Rank 0
PostedMar 24, 2013 11:40 pm

CC Cleaner Question

I know you guys said its not wise to mess with the Registry seeing as one mistake can screw up the OS on my computer but what about using the "Registry" tab on CC Cleaner is that okay?

ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 25, 2013 2:16 am

Re: CC Cleaner Question

larry1619 wrote:
I know you guys said its not wise to mess with the Registry seeing as one mistake can screw up the OS on my computer but what about using the "Registry" tab on CC Cleaner is that okay?  

When I had said that it can mess with your computer, deleting one wrong key in the registry could potentially cause the boot up process for your operating system to not function properly, if at all in certain cases.

Now in CCleaner, that software is generally used to clean out excess files that aren't needed in the computer and thus will speed up the computer by freeing up resources by doing so. Do such in the registry as well will only clean and organize the registry and not in any way affect keys within the registry that are necessary for the boot up process. So you're safe using the registry cleaning feature within CCleaner itself.

Also, made the modifications you had mentioned Lynxdragon.

Also, added information modifications for graphics card settings under the Other Miscellaneous Tips section.

Miku_mark

Rank 0
Miku_mark
PostedMar 29, 2013 2:43 am

Thanks~

Thanks for the information's it feels like my laptop has been revived and polished Very Happy

cmgeloneck

Rank 0
PostedMar 31, 2013 1:22 pm
Code:
C:\>netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp

The congestionprovider parameter can be set using the
'netsh int tcp set supplemental' command.
The parameter is incorrect.

Suggestions?

ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 31, 2013 10:43 pm
cmgeloneck wrote:
Code:
C:\>netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp

The congestionprovider parameter can be set using the
'netsh int tcp set supplemental' command.
The parameter is incorrect.

Suggestions?  

Did you make sure to run the command prompt as the administrator?

cmgeloneck

Rank 0
PostedApr 01, 2013 2:52 am
yes