ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 21, 2013 2:04 am   Last edited by ccsultima on Apr 07, 2013 1:45 am. Edited 25 times in total

[Guide] Improving your Computer Performance & FPS

Updated April 7th, 2013 @ 12:45 AM PST
Note: Any and all tips below are only provided based on testing I have thoroughly done myself across multiple games and platforms and deem safe. Any modifications and/or procedures you follow as a result of this guide is of your own discretion and liability. I therefore do not take responsibility for what happens to your computer as a result of this guide.

Introduction:

Across multiple MMOs I have played and over the years I have played them, I've managed to gather some tips and tricks that I've always used to speed up my computer. All information provided below has been tested by me and I guarantee safety to your computer in regards to these tips and modifications. Now, some of these tip might be common knowledge and I am well aware of that, but doesn't mean the next player is. That said, this guide is for all players out there, which could even apply to those who play outside Scarlet Blade as these are just general tips not regarding Scarlet specifically. So, I hope you enjoy this guide and I hope it brings as much success to your FPS increase and computer performance increase as it has for me!

Table of Contents:

1. Command Prompt Modifications
  2. Adjusting Appearance Settings
  3. Changing Current Power Plan
  4. Setting Application Priority
  5. Turning off Data Execution Prevention for Scarlet Blade
  6. Turning off Search Indexing
  7. Uninstalling Unnecessary Applications
  8. Updating your Computer's Drivers
  9. Cleaning up your Hard Drive
  10. Fragmentation and Organization of your Hard Drive
  11. Other Miscellaneous Tips

Command Prompt Modifications:
This section provides steps to modify settings in your command prompt to raise the ceiling of how much your network device will process, allowing for more data into your computer at once, stacking that data at one time into your game and thus dropping the amount of time it takes to load data per second.

1. Press and open your Start Menu
  2. In the Search function, type "cmd" but do not press Enter. A field should populate with an option for the application.
  3. Right-click it and select "Run as Administrator". A screen will pop up.
  4. Type "cd/" then hit Enter.
  5. Type "netsh int tcp show global" then hit Enter.
  6. Type "netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled" then hit Enter.
  7. Type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal" then hit Enter.
  8. Type "netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp" then hit Enter.
  9. Type "netsh int tcp show global" then hit Enter. It's the same step as step #5 but will let you see what you changed.

Adjusting Appearance Settings:
This step involves changing your account's appearance settings to increase performance for other computer processes. As it takes computer resources to provide certain appearance features such as themes and appearance animations, doing this step will remove all of your desktop's appearance settings but will dramatically open up those resources to be put into other applications.

1. Press the Start button.
  2. Right-click "Computer" and select "Properties".
  3. On the left side of the window that pops up, select "System Properties".
  4. Make sure you're under the "Advanced" tab for the window that pops up now. Select "Settings" underneath the "Performance" section of this tab. Another window will pop up.
  5. On this window, you have an option to "Adjust for Best Performance", "Adjust for Best Appearance", or "Let Windows Choose What is Best for my Computer". Select "Adjust for Best Performance" which will disable all appearance features for your account. Alternatively, you may individually select features you don't want in the field listing below these options. However, I recommend disabling them all for maximum performance.
  6. Select the "Advanced" tab and under "Processor Scheduling", make sure that "Backgrounds" is selected.
  7. Under the "Virtual Memory" section press "Change". A window will pop up.
  8. On the bottom of this window it should say "Recommended" and a certain amount. Under that it will say "Currently Allocated" and a number next to that.
  9. Select "Custom Size" and type in the initial size as your recommended amount.
  10. On "Maximum size" type a number about 1.5 - 2 times more then your recommended amount. (1 Gb = 1024 Mb)
  11. Press "OK" then press "OK" again. Then press "OK" again.

Changing Current Power Plan:
This step goes into detail about adjusting your current power plan for maximum performance. Note for laptops: this will shorten battery life if left enabled over long duration of time so make sure to switch your power plan back to "Balanced" or "Power Saver" before finishing using your computer.

1. In the lower right-hand corner of your task bar, in the system tray, you should see your battery icon. Right-click it and select "Power Options".
  2. From this screen that pops up, select "High Performance" of which will allocate all system resources to full processing power, making the computer run significantly faster.
  3. Use previous method to also change back power plan as needed

Setting Application Priority:
This step involves changing the priority of how much resources the computer sets aside for a certain application. In this case, it will be Scarlet Blade. Note: for this step to be performed, the Scarlet Blade client must be running.

1. Right-click on your task bar and select "Start Task Manager".
  2. On the new window that pops up, select the "Processes".
  3. Click the button that says "Show process from all users".
  4. From the headers of the area field, click on "Image Name".
  5. Go down the list until you see "SB.exe" underneath the "Image Name" column.
  6. Right-click "SB.exe".
  7. From the drop-down menu, hover over "Set Priority" and select "Realtime".

Turning off Data Execution Prevention for Scarlet Blade:
This step entails information on how to disable the Data Execution (DEP) feature for the Scarlet Blade program. DEP is a security feature that helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats by monitoring your programs to make sure they use the computer's memory safely. By turning it off, it will not monitor the Scarlet Blade application, which is a trusted application and therefore doesn't need this monitoring, resulting in more further processing resources available for other applications.

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Right-click "Computer" then select "Properties".
  3. Click "Advanced System Settings" in the left-hand pane.
  4. Under the "Performance" tab, click the "Settings" button.
  5. Click the "Data Execution Prevention" tab then click "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select".
  6. Click the "Add" button and browse through to "C: > AeriaGames > ScarletBlade > SB" and select the "SB" application. Click "Open".
  7. Make sure the checkbox next to the "SB" field in the listing is checked. Click "OK".

Turning off Search Indexing:
Search Indexing is a feature within Windows that speeds up searching for results used via the Search function, which has been known to cause slowdowns to the computer if left on. These steps tell you how tot turn it off. Note: Window's Search function will still work if you perform these steps, but it will work more slowly than if indexing was enabled.

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Click on "Computer".
  3. Right click on "C:" and select "Properties".
  4. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..." in the new window that appears.
  5. Click "OK", and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.
  6. Click the Start button again and click "Run".
  7. Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
  8. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it in the new window that appeared.
  9. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button.
  10. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled."

Uninstalling Unnecessary Applications
These steps show you how to uninstall and remove unnecessary applications and programs from your computer that you don't use anymore and that are just taking up space. Removing these applications will free up more storage and other resources to allocate elsewhere.

1. Click the Start button and click on "Control Panel".
  2. Under the "Programs" section, select "Uninstall a program".
  3. A list in this window will take a second to load. When it is completed, it will show you a list of all programs on your computer. To uninstall a certain program, select it and click the button above this list that says "Uninstall/Change". Note: Be careful with what programs you decide to uninstall as many programs listed here are essential to the system processes and must remain installed. If you have any questions whether a certain program should remain on your computer or not, please post your questions here or feel free to PM me here as well.
  4. A new screen will pop up. Depending on the application being uninstalled, it could be a wizard or a simple progress bar. If prompted by these windows, click buttons necessary to continue with the uninstallation procedures. After the progress is completed, the application will be uninstalled and removed from the list of installed programs.

Updating your Computer's Drivers:
This step shows yous how to update your computer's drivers which are necessary to have your computer run at maximum performance.

1. Click on the Start button.
  2. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" from the drop-down box that comes up.
  3. Click on the "Hardware" tab and then select "Device Manager".
  4. Select the type of device you would like to find an updated driver for by navigating the +'s and -'s to locate the correct device in this tree.
  5. Right click on the specific device you want to update drivers for on your computer. Select "Update Driver" from the drop-down menu. This opens the Hardware Update Wizard.
  6. Select the button next to "Yes, this time only" to allow the wizard to connect to the Internet and search for an updated driver for your device. Click "Next".
  7. Leave the selection set on "Install the software automatically" (If this is not selected, switch the selection to it). Click "Next." The wizard will now search for new drivers and install them automatically if it finds any. If your device is up to date, it will tell you it was unable to find a better driver for your device.
  8. Click "Finish." Repeat as necessary to update all drivers on your computer.

**For further help with this section, please also refer to BigNakedBob32's picture guide here: http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1918585 **

Cleaning up your Hard Drive:
This step is just general maintenance you should regularly perform to keep your computer running in top shape no matter what you are doing with it. It will clean out all useless and built-up files in your computer that is only taking up room and ultimately slowing down your computer.

1. Click on the Start menu and type "disk cleanup" in the Search function and press Enter.
  2. In the window that pops up, make sure in the drop-down box, it reads "( C: )". Click "OK". This window will go through a process of checking your computer.
  3. Once finished going through aforementioned process, a screen will appear detailing in a field potential items Windows suggest permanently removing from your computer. Underneath said field, select "Clean System Files". It will run the process once more.
  4. Once it is finished, the previous screen will appear once more. Select all check boxes for all items to be cleared. Don't worry about deleting anything important as these are items Windows identifies as useless clutter and needs to be removed.
  5. Click "OK". It should go through a process of deleting these files.

Lynxdragon's Suggestion:
A software known as CCleaner is recommended in that it automatically does the aforementioned steps as well as cleans registry errors and other much-needed maintenance procedures that is easier to use. For more information please follow this link: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Fragmentation and Organization of your Hard Drive:
This step is, like the Disk Cleanup system tool, also a recommended step to perform regularly to ensure proper system health and stability as files can get fragmented on your hard drive, taking longer for your computer to access such data, increasing load times. Performing this step will organize those fragments of data on your hard drive into one place your computer can access, decreasing overall load times.

1. Click the Start Button and type in the Search function "disk defrag" and press Enter.
  2. In the new window that appears, it will list storage devices currently in use by your computer with a numbered percentage next to it. The higher the percentage, the more fragmented that storage device is. Select the "( C: )" field and then press "Analyse Disk". A process will occur.
  3. Once the process is finished, select the "( C: )" field once more then click "Defragment Disk". A process will occur again. Note that this process will take from a matter of minutes to a couple of hours depending on how fragmented your hard drive is. Let it fully complete this process and do not use your computer while it does.

Other Miscellaneous Tips:

• Make sure to keep your anti-virus software up to date and scanning regularly to prevent viruses, spyware, malware, and adware from entering your computer, slowing it down or possibly even ruining it.
  • Game Booster is also a great application for shutting down background processes during gaming sessions that frees up computer resources to allocate to the game itself. One feature I especially like about this software is the FPS benchmark which informs you of real-time FPS in-game without having to pull up a separate menu or application. You may find out more information about Game Booster here: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
  • You may also want to access your network router's administration control panel to enable DMZ Hosting for your computer in which will allow maximum traffic access to your computer, decreasing in-game latency-related issues. You may find instructions on how to do so via your router manufacturer's website.
  • I DO NOT recommend over-clocking your CPU and processors. I have done this once before and it destroyed my laptop to where it cost me $200 to get repaired. If you ask me how to do it, I will demand you don't as it fries your motherboard.

Lynxdragon's Suggestion:
    Overclocking, in particular, can make your computer hotter and not exhaust well, meaning more cleaning of the interior of it would be required. It also has been known to cause system issues with the software and internal issue with damaging hardware.

It is also never recommended that overclocking be used on laptops as they are much more difficult to repair and maintain than an overclocked desktop.

Essentially, the bad far outweighs the good when considering overclocking your computer which could amass lofty repair bills to repair incorrectly overclocked systems. Therefore, only experienced computer users should even attempt to overclock their GPU/CPU.

• I also don't advise modifying your registry on your computer unless you know what you're doing as one mistake could ruin your computer's operating system. I could instruct how to do editing in your registry but felt it unnecessary considering how each and every one of you have certain preferences that could be removed or altered by the registry editor and thus can't provide concrete instructions to satisfy everyone's needs. If you would like learn how to edit your registry to modify start up programs, please feel free to PM me here.
  • If you're able to access you graphics card settings, make sure your 3D options are all optimized for performance instead of quality which is drastically improve your performance allocations in your graphics card and in turn raise the FPS in-game.

I would provide specific instructions on how to do this, but considering each properties software will be different as well as changing these settings based on what kind of drivers and cards each certain player has, providing specified instructions to everyone is difficult. So, broader instructions are then necessary.
  • The ports you can forward for this game are TCP 51914 - 51916. Port forwarding opens up the access point the server uses in your router to maximum capacity to allow maximum traffic into your home network, decreasing ping and increasing FPS. As every player will have different routers, control panels, and ultimately steps on how to port forward on your router, please refer to your router manufacturer's website or manual on how to perform these steps for your specific router.
  • In order to correctly optimize the graphics settings for your Scarlet Blade client specifically, I recommend when you launch the "SBLauncher.exe" application, the screen where you press "Game Start" and patch files, you press the small button in the lower right-hand corner that says "Game Options" and then press the "Check System" button. This will read your graphics card and automatically adjust the game's graphics settings for best FPS optimization, greatly improving in-game FPS.

Remember, higher graphics settings is not always better depending on what system you run Scarlet Blade on and sometimes even the lowest settings can not give as much as an FPS boost as a correctly optimized the graphics settings via this method.
  • CanURunIt.com is a site designed to analyze your computer and compare your analyzed computer specs against a database of stored system requirements for different games and then reports whether you meet the minimum/recommended requirements for the game you searched for, giving you links to then give you options to upgrade for the specific areas you failed meeting any requirements in.

They just recently added Scarlet Blade to this list so now you can easily see within a couple of seconds whether you do meet the game's minimum or recommended system requirements to play. Keep in mind that, even if it does say you don't meet the minimum requirements, that shouldn't stop you from trying to play the game anyways as this guide will allow you the maximize performance and get the most out of your system, meaning that, even though you may not meet the minimum requirements, you may still be able to tweak your system and could manage to play well enough.

Thank you all so very much for reading my guide and I do hope it helps everyone having issues with FPS and performance-related issues inside Scarlet Blade. I also want to thank Aeria Games for this fantastic game. If you have any comments, suggestions, questions and feedback, please feel free to post it here or by PMing me. If any information needs to be updated/changed, I will make it a habit to do so here.

Thanks again!
Advertisement

Lynxdragon

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
Lynxdragon
PostedMar 21, 2013 6:10 pm
Regarding Overclocking as you mentioned, This is something only eperienced people should do. It requires alot of knowledge about the limitations of your hardware, aswell as the effects it has. So heres some information to support your recomendation for people wanting to know WHY they shouldnt in detail.

Overclocking has the following dissadvantages;
- System Runs Hotter
- Possible Delamination and Distortion of your Graphics Card and or Motherboard
- Possible Overvoltage of componentry(This pretty much pronounces it dead if its too violent)
- CPU/Case Fans run faster(Making them wear out faster, Louder, and Sucks more dust into your system.)
- More Dust(Means you need to clean your system more offen)
- More Power Use(Possibly Requires a better Power Supply)
- System Insability(Quite Litterally Causes more BSOD(Blue Screen Of Death), Crashes, Freazes and other nasty anoying stuff)
- Time Consuming(It takes a long time of trial and error to find stable OC results for your system)

I DO NOT recommend overclocking for ANY KIND of laptop because;
- Due to there poor air flow and inability to accomidate more effective cooling systems
- They also have a set power supply designed to power the system as it was designed, Meaning you can't push too far because you risk drawing too much power and damaging/destroying your power supply
- They are also ALOT harder to clean dust out of

Advantages of Overclocking;
- Up to 20% increased capability of CPU, GPU and RAM Speed
- Better Value for money out of your hardware

You need to weigh it up;
Potential Power vs Potentiol Damage Multiplied by your Overclocking Experience and Hardware Limitations. For almost all people, its not worth the time, effort or money.

My system is overclocked on the CPU and GPU, Im cleaning the dust out nearly every 3 weeks. This is my personal recomendastion having a OC'd system myself, This is my 3rd System and Ive damaged 2 CPU's and 3 Motherboards in the process to get this one. However they were new, I played innocent and said they were simply faulty and got them replaced under warranty. Saving myself about 350$ per CPU, and about 180$ per Motherboard. This is NEW ZEALAND DOLLARS btw.

Hope this helps.

ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 21, 2013 7:51 pm
Thanks it does help LynxDragon Very Happy I would place it in the original post but seeing how it is right underneath the opening post, there might not be any need to do so. But if you'd like it up there, just let me know :]

Lynxdragon

Lynxdragon
PostedMar 21, 2013 8:24 pm
No problem mate, as long as it helps someone.

I do have some stuff you can add to the top thread that i do for clients computers to speed em up, All of witch people can do themselves easily. Such as turning off Indexing on there hard drives, defrag and DEP. All of them will speed up drives that are not SSD's.

Under cleaning hard drives, i suggest a simple tool called 'CCleaner'. It does what you outlined in cleaning HDD, aswell as some other stuff that needs cleaning periodicly. Its automatic and very easy to use, so less explaining for you to do.I ran it on a clients computer with it a few weeks ago, never been done since new 1 year ago, 45gb of temp files, index files, and useless logs etc. Best of all the software is free, and developed by a company called piriform. I run it weekly, then run a scandisc, and a defrag every month(not needed for SSDs, as SSD's dont have a physical dist and fragmentation has no effect on there speed).

And its Lynxdragon, Ancient Mythical Creature said to hold the form of a Lynx, with talons, wings and scales on its lower legs and back. Look it up, its old folklore stuff. So yeh not LynxDragon, its intended to be one word.

ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 21, 2013 8:29 pm
Lynxdragon wrote:

I do have some stuff you can add to the top thread that i do for clients computers to speed em up, All of witch people can do themselves easily. Such as turning off Indexing on there hard drives, defrag and DEP. All of them will speed up drives that are not SSD's.

Under cleaning hard drives, i suggest a simple tool called 'CCleaner'. It does what you outlined in cleaning HDD, aswell as some other stuff that needs cleaning periodicly. Its automatic and very easy to use, so less explaining for you to do.I ran it on a clients computer with it a few weeks ago, never been done since new 1 year ago, 45gb of temp files, index files, and useless logs etc. Best of all the software is free, and developed by a company called piriform. I run it weekly, then run a scandisc, and a defrag every month(not needed for SSDs, as SSD's dont have a physical dist and fragmentation has no effect on there speed).

And its Lynxdragon, Ancient Mythical Creature said to hold the form of a Lynx, with talons, wings and scales on its lower legs and back. Look it up, its old folklore stuff. So yeh not LynxDragon, its intended to be one word.  

I forgot about adding a sections about DEP and indexing...That's what happens when writing a guide for 3 hours until 2 am ._.' But the defragging information is already in there.

In any case, I apologize about the name confusion. Also, quoting your section about the CCleaner in now :] Heck, might as well quote your first post as well in order to keep things organized.

Lynxdragon

Lynxdragon
PostedMar 21, 2013 11:17 pm
ccsultima wrote:
Lynxdragon wrote:

I forgot about adding a sections about DEP and indexing...That's what happens when writing a guide for 3 hours until 2 am ._.' But the defragging information is already in there.

In any case, I apologize about the name confusion. Also, quoting your section about the CCleaner in now :] Heck, might as well quote your first post as well in order to keep things organized.  

Yeh best to re-write what I said so its laid out nicely and easy to understand. Just say it was suggested by me, and link to the post or something thats enough. xD

ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 21, 2013 11:51 pm
Lynxdragon wrote:
ccsultima wrote:
Lynxdragon wrote:

Yeh best to re-write what I said so its laid out nicely and easy to understand. Just say it was suggested by me, and link to the post or something thats enough. xD  

Consider it done. And thanks again for your great info!

| [GS]Sylus - Valkyrie - Free Knights | Post your Valkyrie event ideas! |

excalion4122

Rank 0
excalion4122
PostedMar 22, 2013 1:03 am
Question about power settings. When I go to power settings and select gaming mode or high performance and hit ok and when I go once more into that table to check if it got saved, my mode is again on "Basic". Why is that? Maybe it's just for laptops?

Playing Scarlet Blade as Spyroxion (yes, I'm the real one:) )

ccsultima

Rank 3
ccsultima
PostedMar 22, 2013 1:24 am
excalion4122 wrote:
Question about power settings. When I go to power settings and select gaming mode or high performance and hit ok and when I go once more into that table to check if it got saved, my mode is again on "Basic". Why is that? Maybe it's just for laptops?  

I guess that's one thing I should point out; desktops change power plans automatically based on current processing usage and changes power plans accordingly for best performance regardless since they are plugged into a wall and not relying on a battery of any kind.

| [GS]Sylus - Valkyrie - Free Knights | Post your Valkyrie event ideas! |

Lynxdragon

Lynxdragon
PostedMar 22, 2013 3:41 am
ccsultima wrote:
excalion4122 wrote:

I guess that's one thing I should point out; desktops change power plans automatically based on current processing usage and changes power plans accordingly for best performance regardless since they are plugged into a wall and not relying on a battery of any kind.  

This can be fixed by customizing your power plan. If you make one plan, delete all the others. In the customisiations it will have 'Minimum CPU' and 'Maximum CPU'. Set it to 50 for minimum, 100 for maximum, Or if you want pure power constantly, 100/100.