sp1ncycl3ofd00m

Rank 0
sp1ncycl3ofd00m
PostedMar 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Shadow Walker Guide thread.

Guides on best stats, builds, stat values, etc.
I don't know if there is a proper area for this, but I haven't found one or seen any Shadow guides around so I'm going to make one here! For now it will just be a guide up to the level 29 cap. I'm sure most of the info will carry over into OB/Live unless they do a complete stat/skill/gear revamp.

I'll also do my best with formatting. If this guide is well received I'll put more effort into the live version and add fancy graphics and whatnot :3

So then, for starters I'll open up with a basic guide on what each stat does and what each point is worth:

Basic Stat Guide!

1. ATK (Attack Power): Your basic attack damage, the higher this is the higher all of your damage will be. Pretty straightforward. Get as much of this as you can.

2. ACC (accuracy): This stat is deceiving to people pretty often. A lot of people wonder how they miss so much with the base 95% ACC value. Well, the reason is because that's just your base value. True accuracy is different on a fight-by-fight basis. The formula for actual ACC is: (X% ACC) - (Y% EVA) = Z% ACC. Y being your opponents EVA value. More than 100% ACC is a GOOD thing. There is no cap from what I can tell, and a lot of classes have evasion steroids, so stacking this isn't a bad idea.

3. DEF (Defense): This is a basic damage mitigation stat. It reduces all damage taken by a flat amount. The rate is 1-1. Or in other words, 1 point of defense means 1 less damage done to you. This stat is strong because it mitigates both physical and chakra damage.

4. VOID: This is a more advanced defense stat, it mitigates damage by a % value. 1 point of VOID is worth .01% damage reduction. Or in other words, 100 points gives you 1% damage reduction. This also works on both physical and chakra damage.

5. EVA (Evasion): This stat is used in the formula above. 100 points of evasion gives you 1%. The higher this is, the better. Lowering your opponents accuracy below 100% is a good thing. It's a good stat to go for, but I wouldn't call it a high priority since even having 10% can mean your opponent will always hit you. I can't really say what the worth is in PvE until we learn if boss monsters can miss.

6. Crit Rate: Pretty straightforward, it's your chance to critically hit. 100 points = 1% crit chance. Stack as much of this as you can. It's our bread and butter DPS stat.

7. Crit-ATK, Crit-Void, Crit-EVA: I haven't seen items with these in the CB yet. I'm assuming they do the same as the base stats, just for critical hits. Will update when I learn more about them.

8. Move speed: Your movement speed. Not really anything to worry about here. If you want to get more of it, it'll be possible on boots.

9. Chakra stats: They do the same as the base versions but only for Chakra based attack values. Not really a factor for shadows, consider your chakra damage as bonus damage. Physical damage is our main form.

Guide continued on post 2:
Advertisement

sp1ncycl3ofd00m

Rank 0
sp1ncycl3ofd00m
PostedMar 19, 2013 2:02 pm   Last edited by sp1ncycl3ofd00m on Mar 19, 2013 2:31 pm. Edited 4 times in total
Shadow Stat Values!

This post will cover the important stats for shadows. For what the stats themselves do read the above post!

Shadows, like most classes, do scale with any stats in the same. However from experience of putting most of my time into my shadow and testing out various builds I've come to the conclusion that there is a "best build" for shadows. At least for gear itemization, I feel this will work for anyone regardless of skill builds (which are more up to personal taste and play-style).

Stat Ranking list: (in order of most important to least important)

• Atk: Most important, this is the base of all our damage. This is on items by default. Enhance them to get more of it.

• ACC: If you're missing all your attacks you won't do any damage. Aim for about 110% base value. Buffs should cover the rest in pvp. Hard to tell what the best pve value is without extensive testing to figure out boss evasion values. If anyone wants to do that with me let me know :3
    The points in the passive tree are where to get this, if you feel you can manage without it then go for it! In CB you probably won't hit the 110% value so just aim for 100%.

• Crit Rate: After ATK and ACC this is our most powerful stat, especially since all of our skills have bonus crit rate on them. The more base Crit Rate we have the more often we crit. Stack this as much as possible.
    Sources: Weapon, Gloves, Accessories.

• VOID: The strongest defense stat, you want this on any item capable of having it.
    Sources: Suit, Knees, Accessories, Helm.

• DEF: The next strongest defensive stat, flat damage reduction. Stacking this is good as well on the items you can get it on.
    Sources: Suit, Gloves, Knees, Wrist, Helm, Boots, Accessories.

• EVA: The least valuable of the defensive stats, but still important to get. Lowering your opponents ACC is always good. Go for this as the last value on an item, can probably manage without it if you don't have the time or money to keep rolling for perfect stats, though.
    Sources: Helm, Suit, Knees, Boots, Accessories.

• Max HP: This is the final stat worth itemizing for, since more HP lets you live longer.
    Sources: Passive, Suit, Knees, Helm, Accessories

(Stats not listed are all ranked last, and not worth itemizing for as of CB, that might change in OB when we get access to more items and skills. Will update if that is the case)

Figuring out perfect items should be pretty easy after reading this, you can use the "Enhancement options" section of items to see all the possible base stats on them. Enhancing an item will only increase the stats in that list, and only if they show up as a base stat. It takes a lot of time and luck to get a full perfect gear set, but the payout is worth it. If you're not worried about min-maxing then you probably don't care about any of this stuff, lol.

Guide continued on post 3:

sp1ncycl3ofd00m

Rank 0
sp1ncycl3ofd00m
PostedMar 19, 2013 2:03 pm   Last edited by sp1ncycl3ofd00m on Mar 19, 2013 2:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Shadow Skill Builds!

This post will be for examples of good builds, of course you should only use this as a guideline and not a necessity. Everyone has different playstyles and so a build that works well for one person might not work as well for another. Again for now I will only post builds that work for CB. When live hits I will update this list for live builds.

• Hybrid build: http://sb.reyva.com/sim/ss#bgjtwjdjdnetcoahmafjnxlztmbwakou

This build is the one I'm currently using. I designed it to be capable of being used in both PvE and PvP to good effects. I've been having pretty good success with it. Some people might want to put less ranks into the AoE and more into stealth. Edit the build at personal discretion.

• Pure PvP: http://sb.reyva.com/sim/ss#mmzmjfoghmqyyydtbhcjtastwivfeajsa

This build grabs a lot of powerful self buffs and crowd control abilities for pvp so that you can safely jump someone at the enemies back line without instantly dying, it also grabs the powerful crit nukes so that you can hopefully nuke them instantly when you jump them. I haven't actually been able to toy around with this one, so it's purely based on theorycrafting.

• Pure PvE build: http://sb.reyva.com/sim/ss#bgjtwjdjdnetcnpneefbswyufbgdzqse

This build is purely if you don't intend on doing PvP. You won't really be capable of doing anything in a battleground with this. It grabs aggro reduction and maxes out base attacks for high DPS values, as well as the opening stealth crit nuke. There is no Crowd Control in this setup.

When Open Beta comes out builds will be a lot more versatile as we will have more skill points to use. So it's possible that these builds will become irrelevant as we may be able to do an "All in one" style build. I will update when live comes out, or maybe a few days beforehand.

Feel free to add your own builds in the comments and I may add them to this post for extra reference for new players Smile

sp1ncycl3ofd00m

Rank 0
sp1ncycl3ofd00m
PostedMar 19, 2013 2:03 pm   Last edited by sp1ncycl3ofd00m on Mar 19, 2013 2:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Reserved (last slot you guys can post now)

Didn't end up needing this one. Maybe will need it for when the live game comes out.

Lucifyria

Rank 1
Lucifyria
PostedMar 19, 2013 2:16 pm
Ah ha, someone beat me to starting on an SW guide. Now I can be lazy. =p

Rekikyo

Rank 5.1
Rekikyo
PostedMar 19, 2013 3:50 pm   Last edited by Rekikyo on Mar 19, 2013 4:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Pretty sure defense is not 1:1. A max built toon can only have around 120 DEF atm, yet someone around that defense, tends to only take around 50 -100 damage from someone who normally deals 2000+ to PVE.

I also think your skill builder selections are askewed.

The PVP Build: Fade Vs Concealment Passive;

Upgrading Fade only adds 5 concealment and 5 second duration. Most SW's don't need more time. Concealment Passive Adds 8 Concealment, trumping leveling the skill.

You Left off Ghost Walk, an important skill for escaping gangbangs.

Secret Charge is a vastly overpowered pvp skill; At 7, it decreases their defense by 70, and it stops them from moving for 5.5 Seconds. (not saying I would max it, but it definitely deserves more notice for pvp than you're giving it.

Blink is also a very powerful skill, offering long distance teleport away from harm, or, in the middle of the enemy.

I also think your build highly over-values the HP passive and the ACC Passive. There are two accessories when sealed, that add to ACC.

PVE:

I would think having all three aoes is important for PVE. You left off the third one, Twilight Explosion.

My SW can deal about 5k damage if using all three aoes, plus about 8k from the chain skills. I tend to pull 3-4 mobs at a time Smile

Hybrid: Same complaints. I think you believe in the HP passive and ACC passive far too much, left off important skills, etc.

Every boss fight, I personally start off with a Fade > Shadow Strike > Chain Damage Skills > Ghost Walk > Shadow Strike. Something neat about this build, is when I run to a boss and have a bunch of mobs on me, If I Ghost Walk at the beginning of the fight instead, I reset any mobs who are not in attack mode (in middle of an attack but not hit yet; sometimes this happens, but mobs who already hit, or have not queued an attack yet all reset).

If I'm in pvp, alot of the times I like to pop Miss Misery and Escape Artist too. When I use it, I have around close to 7000 Evasion, and 7 seconds + is a long time to get away from a gangbang.

Just some suggestions.

Rakusen

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
Rakusen
PostedMar 19, 2013 4:18 pm
Rekikyo wrote:
Pretty sure defense is not 1:1. A max built toon can only have around 120 DEF atm, yet someone around that defense, tends to only take around 50 -100 damage from someone who normally deals 2000+ to PVE.  

PvP and PvE damage values are calculated differently.

And for the Crit-ATK, there's a Medic buff that adds a considerable amount of Crit-Atk when leveled up. Current cap gives 850 Crit and 2400 Crit-ATK.

Contact Us~Don't be afraid to ask for help~Terms of Service~

Rekikyo

Rank 5.1
Rekikyo
PostedMar 19, 2013 4:41 pm
Rakusen wrote:
Rekikyo wrote:

And for the Crit-ATK, there's a Medic buff that adds a considerable amount of Crit-Atk when leveled up. Current cap gives 850 Crit and 2400 Crit-ATK.  

Yes they are, but it's only like 50% damage. I can reliably kill low defense toons in 3-5 skills. I can't kill someone with uber rare gear in 10-12 skills. I would like to see someone actualy test the PVE damage reduction. I'm fairly certain 1 defense is 5 damage soak in PVE, and 10 damage in PVP.

And who brought up Crit Attack <3 With Crit attack I would be doing near 4k's in PVE, 2k in pvp.

sp1ncycl3ofd00m

Rank 0
sp1ncycl3ofd00m
PostedMar 19, 2013 4:56 pm
Rekikyo wrote:
Rakusen wrote:
Rekikyo wrote:

Yes they are, but it's only like 50% damage. I can reliably kill low defense toons in 3-5 skills. I can't kill someone with uber rare gear in 10-12 skills. I would like to see someone actualy test the PVE damage reduction. I'm fairly certain 1 defense is 5 damage soak in PVE, and 10 damage in PVP.

And who brought up Crit Attack <3 With Crit attack I would be doing near 4k's in PVE, 2k in pvp.  

Are you forgetting to factor in VOID as well as the bonus PvP stats from Cybersuit?

sp1ncycl3ofd00m

Rank 0
sp1ncycl3ofd00m
PostedMar 19, 2013 5:03 pm
Rekikyo wrote:

I also think your skill builder selections are askewed.

The PVP Build: Fade Vs Concealment Passive;

Upgrading Fade only adds 5 concealment and 5 second duration. Most SW's don't need more time. Concealment Passive Adds 8 Concealment, trumping leveling the skill.

You Left off Ghost Walk, an important skill for escaping gangbangs.

Secret Charge is a vastly overpowered pvp skill; At 7, it decreases their defense by 70, and it stops them from moving for 5.5 Seconds. (not saying I would max it, but it definitely deserves more notice for pvp than you're giving it.

Blink is also a very powerful skill, offering long distance teleport away from harm, or, in the middle of the enemy.

I also think your build highly over-values the HP passive and the ACC Passive. There are two accessories when sealed, that add to ACC.

PVE:

I would think having all three aoes is important for PVE. You left off the third one, Twilight Explosion.

My SW can deal about 5k damage if using all three aoes, plus about 8k from the chain skills. I tend to pull 3-4 mobs at a time Smile

Hybrid: Same complaints. I think you believe in the HP passive and ACC passive far too much, left off important skills, etc.

Every boss fight, I personally start off with a Fade > Shadow Strike > Chain Damage Skills > Ghost Walk > Shadow Strike. Something neat about this build, is when I run to a boss and have a bunch of mobs on me, If I Ghost Walk at the beginning of the fight instead, I reset any mobs who are not in attack mode (in middle of an attack but not hit yet; sometimes this happens, but mobs who already hit, or have not queued an attack yet all reset).

If I'm in pvp, alot of the times I like to pop Miss Misery and Escape Artist too. When I use it, I have around close to 7000 Evasion, and 7 seconds + is a long time to get away from a gangbang.

Just some suggestions.  

I'll admit I don't have much experience with PvP building. I only had one skill reset to use and I valued PvE higher for my own personal play. That's why I stated it was a pure theorycrafted build.

As for the PvE, AoE isn't necessary. Single target damage is far more valuable since on boss fights you're only focusing one target. The single target spells that I have maxed all have low cooldowns and can be spammed. That on top of the bonus crit they give, as well as what should be an extremely high passive crit, give you far more than 5k damage since it's a consistent rotation. When we have access to the full level cap then the AoE skills will probably become more valuable, but for CBT they simply aren't worth the points because of their insanely long cooldowns. There are other classes better suited for AoE clearing natively for the trash mobs, shadows excel at single target consistent damage.