gcxu

Rank 0
PostedMar 02, 2013 3:55 am   Last edited by gcxu on Mar 05, 2013 3:30 pm. Edited 3 times in total

A Modest Proposal for Safety Stones

Everyone! Attention please!
Proposal to increase the availability of Safety Stones

Synopsis:

The current state of Eden Eternal economy is not ideal in promoting player progression, competitiveness, and most important of all: enjoyment. Severe lack of safety stones and its special variants are extremely lacking, which not only hinders players progression in growth, but also reduces their overall happiness/enjoyment of the game. Also, the decreasing returns of value in tiered spender and altar has greatly reduced the incentive for AP spender to re-sell items at a more reasonable price.The horrendous unavailability of safety stones and its variant has bottle necked the progression of the game, thus creating a pseudo pay-to-win mechanic. This is bad for the game, this is bad for the business, this is just terrible for everyone.

Why:

Why increase the sale of safety stones? Simple! It makes you money and makes us happy!

The "Problem":

In short: Too much demand, not enough supply.

To better understand how the economy of Eden Eternal has come to the sorry state it is now, allow me to introduce the basic concept of supply and demand. This visual model was created in hopes that it will help you guys understand the situation better. But if it confuses you, I apologize in advance and suggest that you just read to the text.

http://imgur.com/JIUlBAH

Figure 1 shows us how the Eden Eternal economy would be if there was no barriers to entry and that all the safety stones were player dependent action. Meaning, players does not need to rely on Aeria to release safety stones in tiered spender and altar. If all safety stones are dependent on players action, the market would be very similar to the current market of glyphs, gems, and so on and so forth. Sellers will sell to as many people as they can for as much as they can, and buyers will try to buy at the lowest price they can find it. Thus the market will eventually reach an equilibrium where the buyers and sellers meet a price they can't go above or below, because sellers will either lose profits or buyers will go elsewhere.

Now that we understand simple supply and demand, we can look toward figure 2. Figure 2 is what our Eden Eternal economy actually looks like pre-patch. The supply curve is actually sharper and vertical, meaning that massive price change will matter little to the supply. Intuitively speaking, if CSS and HSS are only available via tier spender 6 or 7, only players who are willing to spend 150 dollars + at a time will have the ABILITY to sell it to the market. Thus even if prices of CSS jumps from 8k ea to 20k ea, only those who have enough AP will be able to sell to the market.

Likewise looking at the demand curve; it is more flatter than ideal, because safety stones are so essential to the progression of the game that any small change in price will increase the quantity demanded by a TON. For example, if CSS drops in prices from 8k to 4k, then the amount of people who are willing to buy increase by A LOT. Everyone will be foaming at the mouth to get some of those safety stones, because it's essential for their progression and thus their enjoyment.

However, looking at figure 3, with the introduce of new content and level cap, the demand for these stones have increased by a marginal amount. There is new awaken armor, purples, and gold weapon/armor to fortify, on top of 65 awaken weapons. And due to Eden Eternal's change-class-on-the-fly system; each player may have up to 2-3 awaken weapon/purples/armor set they want to fortify. Also the introduction of 1p dungeons, increase in level cap, and alteration of stats has made players ever more capable of making gold. Players are not only get to make money off easy 1p mobs, but also better at farming gold in dungeons such as century or sturm. Thus players willingness to pay has also skyrocketed, because their income has increased. This is represented by a outward shift in the demand curve shown in figure 3.

Normally, this outward shift in demand will not be as detrimental (Figure 4) . However, the same sellers of safety stones now exit the market, because they now use the safety stones they have to fortify their own new gear. Players who earn SSS and HSS from monthly rewards will also be less likely to sell with new content, as they need to improve their own gear to remain in top condition. Not to mention winners of the monthly awards will likely remain the same from month to month, until players quit. Players who used safety stones last month, will probably use it for the upcoming months as well. Meaning that the available market for specialty stones are SMALLER than what people may be lead on to believe. This can be represented by a shift backwards in supply curve as seen in figure 4.

If safety stones are not released into the market via more availability or more AP buyers, than the game will become increasing pay-to-win. I don't believe the latter will happen, because in order to get more AP buyers you first need a big player base, competitiveness, and value; all of which Eden Eternal is lacking or will become lacking. The scarceness of safety stones will bottleneck the progress of the game; making only the strong able to stay strong and the weak left to crawl and die.

Solution:

Release safety stones and its special variant out for sale in form of boxes (similar to wing boxes) or flat rate (like the USSS in item mall, but more variants). Also increase the likelihood of altars carrying specialty safety stones, as it not only gives free-to-play players opportunity at getting some, but also increase the suppliers to the market.

Solution in depth: Why Safety Stones need to be on Altar!!

While increasing supply of safety stones and it's variant is going to increase the sales and supply of safety stones, not putting safety stones in the Altar will generate new problems. The EE altar acts as an equal opportunity machine for players of any range and income, as it offers the same opportunity for everyone to get wealthy. If safety stones are only available via item mall or tier spender, players who spend AP can form a collusion that doesn't act according to the natural market. Meaning, they can charge prices that are higher than market, because all AP buyers agree to not undercut each other. In short: AP buyers can come together to form a union and agree to charge monopoly prices, because there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Increasing the availability of safety stones to everyone will fix this problem, as collusion are harder to form when sellers of the same product increases. I.E. Its easier to reach an agreement with 2 people than it is with 200.

How will this be beneficial to Aeria and the players?:

• Increase in Sales:
    Safety stones are essential to the growth of the players. Thus it will always be in demand, regardless of how many new or old players you have. These stones will take priority over any wings or costume on the market, as its effect are not purely cosmetic. Also, this does not hurt the market of costume and primes, as players will return to buying cosmetic items when they become stronger.

• Increase in players who were indifferent about buying AP:
    Safety stones are definite value booster to AP spender and entice players to buy more AP. Increasing values return per AP also makes players who were on edge about buying AP, more likely to buy AP. Players will spend more, if they knew full well that their hard earn money will return some decent amount of gold in-game. You're not trying to convince the people who don't spend AP, you are trying to maintain the people who do and make them spend even more. The better the value, the more the sales.

• Reduce Gold Spammers:
    Gold Spammers are only relevant in the game and people still buy from them because they offer better value for their money. Giving more value back to the players by offering better tiered spender, altars, or boxes that include safety stones will reduce the significance of gold selling websites. If banning player for buying gold is the stick, offer them the carrot by giving them BETTER VALUE.

• Increase in sales reduces the mundane aspect of grinding and increases happiness:
    More safety stones equals lower prices, lower prices means they become more affordable to a large range of players. Lower prices make people happy, because they spend less time grinding dungeons and more time having fun socializing with other players.

• Increase competitiveness, size of player base, and longevity of player base:
    Competition is important to the success of a game, because PVP is a big allure of any MMORPG game. If players are not put into a competitive environment, their progress will mean nothing, as they will have nobody to challenge them. Competition prevents more dedicated players from leaving, because they constantly have a drive to remain on the top. Also, the bigger the game gets, the higher chance you will get people that are willing to buy AP.

Concerns about increasing sales of safety stones:

• Flooding the market:
    Safety stones are still in the control of the PM's hand, thus how many they release into the market can be managed. This proposal isn't asking for permanent availability of safety stones, but rather an increase. A bi-weekly or monthly altar with safety stones or a tiered spender where safety stones become available in item mall will be greatly appreciated.

• Burning out/Reduction in longevity of player base:
    While this being the most important concern, I don't believe it would happen. I don't believe Eden Eternal will suffer the "private-server-syndrome", where players level too fast and get overpowered too fast, to the point that they are unstoppable and thus bored. Eden eternal game mechanics combat this syndrome very well. The switch on the fly class system allows you to play many different class without starting from scratch. Also Eden Eternal player base is larger than private servers, thus it should have naturally have more competition (bluntly: more stuff to kill).

• Increase in costumes and eden crystal prices:
    This is perhaps the only negative result due to a possible increase in safety stones. If safety stones ends up in the altar, eden crystal during those times will be more expensive, because the rewards are so much greater. Also, costumes are most likely going to fluctuate a lot. Players who are trying to get strong won't buy primes, because they need money for safety stones. But at the same time, players who are already strong will pay more for primes they want, because they have nothing left to spend on.

Conclusion:

I am an avid AP buyer. I created this proposal in hopes that more value is returned to the community and its players. Eden Eternal is a great game; it would be a shame that players aren't enjoying the game as much as they should, because their progression is hindered. Progression makes people happy. Happy people equals a better game.While people say Aeria is a business (which it is), I would also like to believe that Aeria is a game company that cares about its players and their product.
Advertisement

Mocarze

Rank 1
PostedMar 02, 2013 4:05 am
I actually read this entire thing, twice. Informative, and well-thought out. Hopefully there are others like me, that can sit down and really *enjoy* what this post has to offer, and think about some of the points that were thrown down. Wonderful<3

beezubeezu

Rank 0
beezubeezu
PostedMar 02, 2013 11:43 am
Excellent post. Really, I don't have anything to add.
Well thought-out, well-informed, and well-written. I also enjoyed reading it.

lonelytoobie

Rank 0
lonelytoobie
PostedMar 02, 2013 2:09 pm
+1 to this post.

They might not know how the state of our economy is now on EE because they don't play the game, but after this post they just might get a glimpse of what has been going on.

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedMar 02, 2013 3:37 pm
This is possibly the best thread in the forums. I've been thinking about this a bit earlier and I've noticed that regular safety stones cost 200g now (after costing around 130g few months back..)

So yeah, I definitely agree. It would be nice having safety stone(s) instead of blue/golden ECs on the altar..

gcxu

Rank 0
PostedMar 02, 2013 4:12 pm
Thank you guys for the support!

The point of this thread isn't to outright demand more safety stones and its variant to be available permanently. Rather we are simply suggesting that a more frequent altar with safety stones and its special variant and/or special safety stones in the item mall will increase your sales, balance in both the economy and competition, and most importantly: increase your player base and the players' happiness.

As a player and customer of Eden Eternal, I just want this thread to draw awareness to the dire situation at hand, and hope that enough attention is generated that people like Sypra will consider putting the plan into action.

Synphie

Rank 0
Synphie
PostedMar 02, 2013 4:18 pm
Safety Stones as end items on Altar instead of crap Blue/Gold ECs? Heck yeah. I really agree on this, plus I think it would also be better if they also hid some more in Alpaca Coins.

MisleadPaws

Rank 0
MisleadPaws
PostedMar 03, 2013 4:49 pm
I agree with this in full extent. I also feel the need for this type of management should be dealt with for level 70 Heart flames. In the server I play, Diamond, all the AP buyers have skipped picking CSSS/70 HFs on the tiered spender for new primes and such that sell higher, but since there aren't 70 HFs in the market, the price is steadily rising higher and higher, and soon it won't even be worth buying. There's literally no one I have seen or found selling the heart flames. As for CSSS, I see it every blue moon, but they're about 2k higher and still on the go in price. I feel like the PMs should have a more steady flow on what's going into our economy rather than it feeling like a desert. I hope the supply evens out with the demand ASAP.

WolfPak.

Rank 0
WolfPak.
PostedMar 03, 2013 4:53 pm
I agree with the poster.
I've never spent a cent on AP, all of my gold comes from grinding. 8K gold is a lot to grind JUST for one form of SS least 20K. something should be done

Hompipah

Rank 0
Hompipah
PostedMar 03, 2013 7:36 pm
or they can just change the code that safety stone will only break when the upgrading failed...