GirlBlunder

Rank 4
GirlBlunder
PostedFeb 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Q&A: How'd you do that?

Alright guys, I'm not very good at figuring out some of the questions you ask me about siggies.

What I want to do here is let you come to me with very specific questions, and it would help if you would reference a siggy I did this technique (or whatever) that you would like to learn how to do.

Example of how you can help me help you:

Fake Person 1: GB, how did you do that effect on the font in ________'s siggy?
*insert fake link to fake siggy demonstrating fake technique here*

What I will *try* to do is...well first remember how I did it, and second create a small/short picture or video tutorial showing how I did it.

Now, this takes time, so if you are patient I will try to do this. If you are impatient...well don't bother asking. I don't have the best memory, and my patience only goes so far.

Keep in mind most of my work is done in photoshop, however if you have gimp let me know that's where you would like to learn to do something, I will try to discover how I can execute the same technique there.

Please don't ask how I do complete siggies...all the work that I put in to one siggy...well the tutorial would be exceedingly long and boring. This is just for specific things that you have noticed on a siggy that you particularly liked and would enjoy learning to do.

I hope to encourage new siggy makers, as I will not be making siggies forever. Smile

Advertisement

Muramana

Rank 0
PostedMar 01, 2013 12:14 am
I'd like it if you would record how you make a signature. GoldDragon's looks so awesome, and i am curious how you made it.

GirlBlunder

Rank 4
GirlBlunder
PostedMar 01, 2013 12:16 am
Muramana wrote:
I'd like it if you would record how you make a signature. GoldDragon's looks so awesome, and i am curious how you made it.  

Girlblunder wrote:
Please don't ask how I do complete siggies...all the work that I put in to one siggy...well the tutorial would be exceedingly long and boring. This is just for specific things that you have noticed on a siggy that you particularly liked and would enjoy learning to do.  

Also note: Arachnea made that signature. =p

iGoldDragon

Rank 5.1
iGoldDragon
PostedMar 01, 2013 7:11 pm
Its baws aint it lol.

Katovas

Rank 1
Katovas
PostedMar 03, 2013 11:49 am

the borders on this signature, how did you make that diagnal texture pattern?

Muramana

Rank 0
PostedMar 03, 2013 12:37 pm
Katovas wrote:

border=select a line of 1-2 pixels and copy/paste it at the borders.
diagonal texture pattern= google -> diagonal pattern (not sure about this one tho)

Katovas

Rank 1
Katovas
PostedMar 03, 2013 12:48 pm
Muramana wrote:
Katovas wrote:

border=select a line of 1-2 pixels and copy/paste it at the borders.
diagonal texture pattern= google -> diagonal pattern (not sure about this one tho)  

>.> i dont think she used a picture to make that border effect but if she did i would like to see it

GirlBlunder

Rank 4
GirlBlunder
PostedMar 03, 2013 1:23 pm
Katovas wrote:

That is a brush. I couldn't find the specific one I used, but this pack has a similar one. Note: I didn't use full opacity and did some 15% erases along the edging to smooth the transition/blending a bit.

The file type there should work for both photoshop and gimp I believe.

For gimp (the 1px border) I just go to Filters>Decor>Add Border *note adding border will always add at least 2 px to your img size*

For Photoshop, I use the Rectangle tool and manually enter the size of the siggy (usually 700x200). I select No Fill and a 1 px line.

If you need more detail on the brush usage let me know.

Katovas

Rank 1
Katovas
PostedMar 03, 2013 1:55 pm   Last edited by Katovas on Mar 03, 2013 3:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Thanks for this incredibly detailed explanation, im gonna go play with these brushes and see what i can do with it Smile Your Very helpful GB

Edit:

I experimented with some brushes and diffrent techniques and i got something like this. Smile

and this

Gaze.

Rank 0
Gaze.
PostedMar 03, 2013 3:15 pm
Couldn't you use the Grid option in GIMP on a new layer, and rotate the layer to get a diagonal line pattern going?