GMJediMike

Aeria: Product Manager
GMJediMike
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Thoughts on Competitive Gaming?

One thing that really drives me is competitive sports so I've really been mauling this over and would like your input on competitive gaming?

I've always thought that a game like WT has the ability to showcase itself as a game where players can play competitively but in a safe environment. I want to get your guys' insight on e-sports because it's something that I'd like to do in WT.

Not many of you know this but I've held numerous roles within AG and have a lot of contacts in the e-sports and streaming world. With that said give me your thoughts and let's start discussion then execution.

- JediMike

I am no sugar cookie getter!
Need help? Click here for Support!
Advertisement

GirlBlunder

Rank 4
GirlBlunder
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Thoughts on Competitive Gaming?

GMJediMike wrote:
One thing that really drives me is competitive sports so I've really been mauling this over and would like your input on competitive gaming?

I've always thought that a game like WT has the ability to showcase itself as a game where players can play competitively but in a safe environment. I want to get your guys' insight on e-sports because it's something that I'd like to do in WT.

Not many of you know this but I've held numerous roles within AG and have a lot of contacts in the e-sports and streaming world. With that said give me your thoughts and let's start discussion then execution.

- JediMike  

I think many people of what's left around here would be interested in that. The only thing is that if you want anyone outside of the WT community to take any competition seriously any/all events would have to be AP Free. Most serious shooters would take one look at the P2W and lawl. Just being honest.

I think someone posted recently about ESL Europe doing some games, but they are solely without AP.

GMJediMike

Aeria: Product Manager
GMJediMike
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:14 pm

GirlBlunder wrote:
GMJediMike wrote:

- JediMike  

I think many people of what's left around here would be interested in that. The only thing is that if you want anyone outside of the WT community to take any competition seriously any/all events would have to be AP Free. Most serious shooters would take one look at the P2W and lawl. Just being honest.

I think someone posted recently about ESL Europe doing some games, but they are solely without AP.  

I understand. I spoke to one of the regions MLG president's and basically said the same thing. I'd like to start with current players we have here and ones who have left because they were looking for some type of competitive play.

The point is to establish a steady stream of tournaments where clans and/or players can compete in a organized and safe environment. We all know hackers will be around but what they can do is hack during tournaments : ).

- JediMike

I am no sugar cookie getter!
Need help? Click here for Support!

GirlBlunder

Rank 4
GirlBlunder
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:26 pm

GMJediMike wrote:

I understand. I spoke to one of the regions MLG president's and basically said the same thing. I'd like to start with current players we have here and ones who have left because they were looking for some type of competitive play.

The point is to establish a steady stream of tournaments where clans and/or players can compete in a organized and safe environment. We all know hackers will be around but what they can do is hack during tournaments : ).

- JediMike  

That would definitely generate interest around here. We have a fair amount of pretty awesome players. Just have to wait for everyone to wake up and see the thread, generate some open dialogue about it. It's good to see you supporting this. Smile

Cruelyogi

Rank 1
Cruelyogi
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:31 pm
im kind of stupid but are you talking about new guns items events relating to sports if so....

how about for the baseball classic? some new tattoos featuring some teams and etc... maybe as a knife can be a bat? grenades can be baseballs?

or some character baseball players imagine pedro gomez with a baseball player outfit sick!!! i would buy that in a heart beat! or!! smith with a baseball outfit!!!!

GirlBlunder

Rank 4
GirlBlunder
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:34 pm
Cruelyogi wrote:
im kind of stupid but are you talking about new guns items events relating to sports if so....

how about for the baseball classic? some new tattoos featuring some teams and etc... maybe as a knife can be a bat? grenades can be baseballs?

or some character baseball players imagine pedro gomez as a baseball player outfit sick!!! i would buy that in a heart beat!  

No, what he's talking about are e-sports. Basically gamers have tournaments against each other in all sorts of games including FPS. What we are discussing here is that if we want successful tournaments they would pretty much have to be without ap. Your suggestion is a little off the mark in consideration to that. Smile

Cruelyogi

Rank 1
Cruelyogi
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:40 pm
@girlplunder in that case i'm in! i would love a tournament with 0 ap show's true skill of the player and makes it more interesting...

dershil

Rank 5
dershil
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:41 pm
I think competitive gaming is completely possible, however with any time of competitive play, the game has to balanced.

I participated in the Thermaltake sponsored Tournament of Champions a while back, and the whole thing was dubbed the "Wallet Wars". My team was made up of some good players but I know for a fact, we made it as far as we did because of how much overpowered equipment we had compared to the rest of the teams. As for the first place winner, they happened to out spend us. The entire tournament was a train wreck and some of the best teams had no chance of ever winning due to the abuse of OP items. One of my teammates was impossible to kill because he had a Triple Golden Tattoed Special Edition Wolf, and spammed Cash Medkits and Steam Packs and the rest of us sat back for entire rounds at a time watching him 1 hit the entire other team while eating probably over 50 hits. Even though I won a pretty nice mouse pad out of the whole thing, I can in no way say that it was won through fair competition.

Anyways, you may have heard about the FG style games that are played by some of the players here. FG (Freedom Games) are private rooms where No AP or WC items are allowed. The rules allow for a balanced game that is similar to Wolfteam in the older days when the game was balanced. In my opinion any type of competitive gameplay would have to follow a set of guidelines similar to these.

mrameez786

Rank 5
mrameez786
PostedFeb 26, 2013 3:25 am
Competitive Gaming would be a great idea, I believe it would generate alot of interest from the members of the community that remain. In fact it may entice those who quit to come back and participate in an official tourny.

The only way I can see this working, and having the community onboard would be if certain OP items were restricted. Otherwise the major cashers would purchase all the OP stuff and enter the tournament. The minor AP players and Non-AP players wouldn't even bother competing then cause they know they would have no chance.

Aim for the stars................................Even If You Fail...............................You'll Land On Top Of The World!!

Aznteck

Rank 5.1
Aznteck
PostedFeb 26, 2013 6:42 am
Competitive Gaming, sure. As long as you can create an atmosphere where people can play in a controlled environment and not have massive advantages while using an excessive amount of cash items. As proven with the Tournament of Champions, or as I call it, "Battle of the Wallets", everyone who had made it pretty far used a ton of overpowered cash items to their advantages and abused it to get pretty far into the tournament. If overpowered items such as characters, armor, and weapons are restricted OR the overpowered items would be corrected back to their original values instead of having 3 times the protection than states, I would see this happening. But at its current state, and with no fixes at all for the past years, I'm very disappointed at this, just like with the "Battle of the Wallets" events.